Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Social Classes and Mobility

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Who's to say they'll have different attitudes and values?

Exactly
    Jomery wrote: »
    But how can you honestly enjoy the atmosphere when you're surrounded by posh people who'll have different attitudes/values (they'll ask what school you went to, what job you do etc, and judge you on it), that you're having to dress up in something you'd not normally be comfortable in etc.. my main point is Ascot shows that class divisions still exist - most lower class people would not be attracted to the concept of dressing up like that and spending a day out with them.

For someone who hasn't ever associated with members of the middle/lower class you seem to feel very happy about making sweeping statements about what they would and would not like to do. Where does your experience come from that makes you feel suitably informed to make these statements?

I know many lower and middle class people that love an excuse to get dressed up and look smart. I also know many upper class people that would certainly not judge someone for what school they went to, the accent they talked in etc.
    Watching Prince William and Harry being interviewed by Fearne Cotton who isn't of their "class" they seemed to have more in common with her than they would with say someone of the same "class" who was say 30 years older. They seemed more down to the earth than Jomery and theyr are princes. Maybe we're not at all that different.
    Kazbo wrote: »
    For someone who hasn't ever associated with members of the middle/lower class you seem to feel very happy about making sweeping statements about what they would and would not like to do. Where does your experience come from that makes you feel suitably informed to make these statements?
    Sure, tell me the majority of working class people wouldn't look at the below pic and instantly think "posh wankers".

n36816722_33898620_2344.jpg
    Sure, tell me the majority of working class people wouldn't look at the below pic and instantly think "posh wankers".

To be fair seeing the picture in contest I'm not sure many would.

But that doesn't answer my question of why you feel in a position to make sweeping rationalisations about people you do not understand or know.

TBH First thing that springs to mind for me is blue shirt/white collar and red tie = twat.

He obviously isn't too loaded either or he'd have been to a tailor and got himself a waistcoat that fitted.

Working class and Welsh here :wave:

Whereas yes on the surface I'd consider those guys (they ARE guys right? The joke isn't they're all post-op trannies is it??) to be 'posh', I wouldn't consider them to be 'wankers' purely on the basis of their apparent social class. I don't see higher/lower class to be a negative thing so why should I label them that way?
    TBH First thing that springs to mind for me is blue shirt/white collar and red tie = twat.

It certainly suggests a lack of colour co-ordination...

Mind you half of the aristos I met were scruffy buggers.

Nah, like MoK said, the first thing I'd think is "shitty tailoring". Firstly, a Winchester shirt, red tie and morning dress simply is not cricket. The chap on the left needs a top hat that actually fits him as he looks like a pubescent boy at a wedding, the guy in the middle, aside from some atrocious co-ordination looks about one glass of champagne away from bursting out of that waistcoat and the last one seriously needs to reconsider the purchase (or hire?) of that revolting cream waistcoat (unless the colours on the photo have come out wrong). I personally find that only men of a fuller figure can pull off waistcoats well otherwise they just hang and look bad. But then again I wouldn't consider myself working class. That's just what I thought on first inspection. They need to get themselves down to Saville Row / Jermyn Street sharpish.

We're not all as judgemental as you.

Incidentally, which one is you?
    Nah, like MoK said, the first thing I'd think is "shitty tailoring". Firstly, a Winchester shirt, red tie and morning dress simply is not cricket. The chap on the left needs a top hat that actually fits him as he looks like a pubescent boy at a wedding, the guy in the middle, aside from some atrocious co-ordination looks about one glass of champagne away from bursting out of that waistcoat and the last one seriously needs to reconsider the purchase (or hire?) of that revolting cream waistcoat (unless the colours on the photo have come out wrong). I personally find that only men of a fuller figure can pull off waistcoats well otherwise they just hang and look bad. But then again I wouldn't consider myself working class. That's just what I thought on first inspection. They need to get themselves down to Saville Row / Jermyn Street sharpish.

...and why does Professor Frink have an umbrella up when noone else in the entire photo does? Does he have some form of Solar urticaria?
    Erm... much of this thread has left me baffled. So I'll just go back to the top for this one.
    There's more mobility between the social classes now than ever before...
    Are you completely off your trolley? Social mobility in Britain has ground to a complete halt. An official government report recently confirmed just as much. (I'll try and find a link to that one) In modern Britain, if you are born poor, you are almost certain to die poor. Why is this? Well...

The rich, champagne-drinking, know-nothing liberals who run this country enjoy having their snoughts in the trough, and they don't want anyone else to have a taste of how they live. So they've introduced rubbish policies to destroy social mobility. They've got rid of grammar schools. They've introduced anti-marriage policies. They've rigged the tax system in such a way that parents make more money if they're seperated than stay together. I could go on, but you get the gist of what I'm saying. Until this rabble is cleared out from our establishment, Britain will continue to languish in the international league of social mobility.
    Incidentally, which one is you?

I'd laugh my tits off if it was camp umbrella boy :D
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Personally, the only thing these clothes make me think is "Who the hell would want to dress like that? The 1800s haven't been around for 200 years!"
    Personally, the only thing these clothes make me think is "Who the hell would want to dress like that? The 1800s haven't been around for 200 years!"

Have you never been to black tie events, weddings etc then, since those types of clothes are very common at many events and I always thought that went across the board of classes.
    Have you never been to black tie events, weddings etc then, since those types of clothes are very common at many events and I always thought that went across the board of classes.
    I've not been to any (and I hope I won't, I hate it when they tell me what to wear) but this isn't like that. In "black tie events" people don't walk around with umbrellas when it's not raining, wearing tall hats and coats with tails.
    I've not been to any (and I hope I won't, I hate it when they tell me what to wear) but this isn't like that. In "black tie events" people don't walk around with umbrellas when it's not raining, wearing tall hats and coats with tails.

Ok I'll give you that the umbrella is a bit strange, but I'd say geeky to that rather than anything else and being a geek myself does kinda make me laugh. ;)

It also depends on the event. Balls wear dinner suits rather than tails so top hats don't exist, wedding etiquete says hats aren't worn, but there is a time and a place for every outfit.
    there is a time and a place for every outfit.
    Exactly, and the time for this one was the 1800s. :p
    Exactly, and the time for this one was the 1800s. :p

:lol: maybe, but I take it Jomery was in the Royal Enclosure there and not the general admissions. In the Royal Enclosure there is a strict dress code of top hat and tails and you will be turned away if you're not dressed like that. There is obviously something to be said for the outfit though because the numbers of people wearing tails in the general admissions enclosure this year was far greater than in the past as well. Ascot is a Royal event and as such it is only correct that a formal "posh" dress code should be adopted imo.

I look at the pic and think - 'It's not that funny what you're wearing. They're probably doped up on sugar from their Mr Kipling mini Battenberg cakes.'

Again, SO twee. They look as much fun as someone pouring acid on my genitals.