Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Social Classes and Mobility

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So. Following on from the fascinatingly derailed thread in the student forum, I thought I'd post something in the appropriate place - some comments got me thinking.

How would you define someone's social class? Is it interests? Income? Upbringing? And does it even matter any more? There's more mobility between the social classes now than ever before - some might say we have a classless system (clearly not, but that's the theory) - and is this why it doesn't matter any more?

I'm still formulating my thoughts on it :)

Comments

• Options
    Class to me means good manners, integrity, loyalty, speaking well (nothing to do with accents, just not swearing all the time or saying 'like' every other word) and not smoking.
  • Options
    But isn't that 'having class' rather than being 'of' a particular class?
  • Options
    Class should now be an irrelevance as it is a largely meaningless concept.

Your starting presumption is in fact incorrect, social mobility (by some measures at least) has fallen during the Blair years, but this is to be entirely expected goven that intelligence/ability is to a large degree a genetic inheritance..........
  • Options
    But isn't that 'having class' rather than being 'of' a particular class?

Well yes. Social class is of little interest to me.
    Money doesn't buy class or intelligence. I know some very good examples of this.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Class to me means good manners, integrity, loyalty, speaking well (nothing to do with accents, just not swearing all the time or saying 'like' every other word) and not smoking.

Just had to stick that last bit in didn't you? Apart from that clearly bullshit last bit, I actually totally agreed with you on that one. Then your prejudices go and ruin it.

This debate is actually quite interesting as this term, one of my Russian units was a course on 18th century Russian thought and literature which may or may not interest you, but one of the central themes of the age, what with the Enlightenment knocking about, was whether nobility is inhereted or earned, owing to Peter the Great's massive reforms, moving Russia towards being a totally meritocratic society.

The central debate basically went as follows : if you are a member of the nobility, you cannot just rest on the deeds of your ancestors (ie. the deeds that gained them nobility in the first place) - it is up to you to honour your ancestors by doing noble deeds yourself and thus making yourself worthy of the title bestowed upon you by your birth. Also, it draws a very clear distinction between a nobleman and a noble man. This echoes what Montescieu (sp?) and all those French geezers were discussing at the time as well.

This is also touched upon in Great Expectations - the difference between a gentleman and a gentle man. Being a gentleman is not about education, knowledge of fine wines or knowing how to dance, it's about being a gentle man. Interesting stuff, n'est pas?

Perhaps the same is true these days? It's not about where you went to school, what your parents did or what you do for a living, but more how you yourself act. Perhaps it's not entirely like that these days but class distinctions have been becoming more and more blurred since the industrial revolution and I can only imagine will continue to do so.
  • Options
    Just had to stick that last bit in didn't you? Apart from that clearly bullshit last bit, I actually totally agreed with you on that one. Then your prejudices go and ruin it.

Perhaps the same is true these days? It's not about where you went to school, what your parents did or what you do for a living, but more how you yourself act. Perhaps it's not entirely like that these days but class distinctions have been becoming more and more blurred since the industrial revolution and I can only imagine will continue to do so.

:D I'm allowed my opinion...I don't think smoking is classy. I fail to see how that is prejudiced.

Yeah I agree with the second part.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    Your starting presumption is in fact incorrect, social mobility (by some measures at least) has fallen during the Blair years, but this is to be entirely expected goven that intelligence/ability is to a large degree a genetic inheritance..........

Yes, there was always going to be a limit on mobility because of those factors.

You say it's a largely meaningless concept, but still, as far as banks, surveys, market research etc are concerned, it's still a valid way of dividing up the general population. Is it valid though? Given that someone could be born on a council estate and end up with a business empire and a not inconsiderable amount of money (Gordon Ramsay, for example...). What would be more valid instead?
  • Options

That's perhaps a description of an idealised middle class, rather than a description of 'class' (as in the social sense of working, middle and upper)
  • Options
    I don't think it's possible to define class anymore. However i think alot of it has to do with values.
  • Options
    I think surveys etc tend to use occupational groups as a way of dividing up the population.

But your occupation isn't really the same as your class I would say.........
  • Options
    No, but if you look at the 'dictionary definition' (well, actually, in this case it's a wikipedia definition), it divides them up into occupation as much as anything else - with senior professionals (doctor, lawyer, accountant, banker, entrepreneur) being 'upper middle', middle managers being 'middle' etc.

I think if one were to define someone as a particular class however, it would have to include considerably more information than just their occupation.
  • Options
    Occupation does however, in general, tend to be able to predict the sort of house someone lives in, the area they live, the types of holidays they go on, the car they drive. All the stereotypical things people look at to dictate the class of someone, since in general a persons wealth and thus occupation, dictates the level to which they are able to live.
  • Options
    I see two spectrums, social class and economic class.

Economic class needs no explaination.

Social class is about different cultural values.

I do believe that 'class' is an issue. Some parts of the UK are a bit in the shit and it is more difficult for people to get jobs, or get away. Whatever people say about university, if you have kids, a house to look after and are already not very financially well off then it is a lot harder and I can easily see why it puts people off. There's also a class factor in some jobs (I believe)... hence some people I know who are in their early twenties and have never had a job will probably still find something the minute they leave, most likely through contacts.

Whilst still at university, somebody who has to work 30 hours a week to support themselves (I know people like this) has less time to study than somebody whose parents jus give them money. Furthermore, if you have more free time, especially in the summer then you can get an internship, or volunteer which is a good few steps higher at least on the career ladder in many areas, than three years of bar work and stacking shelves.

I do see class as an issue and have no idea how it is to be resolved. But it definately still exists. It also depends on what you call 'social mobility'. I don't see social mobility as something which can be defined by access to commodities and information, but personally I relate it more to the power you have in your job. People from upper/middle class (relative to definition) still rule the country. You only need to look at our history of grammar and private school and Oxbridge graduate Prime Ministers to see that.

The day a black gay woman who grew up in a council estate and who worked her way up to become Prime Minister is the day we can safely say social mobility exists. imo
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    Occupation does however, in general, tend to be able to predict the sort of house someone lives in, the area they live, the types of holidays they go on, the car they drive. All the stereotypical things people look at to dictate the class of someone, since in general a persons wealth and thus occupation, dictates the level to which they are able to live.

What about interests and hobbies? There's a general stereotype of 'working class' people liking... i don't know, dog fighting (football would be the obvious choice but it's too easy to dispute) and 'upper class' people liking shooting, polo and opera (two extremes)... but do they enjoy it because of the class they are born into and that's how they're conditioned to spend their free time, or do they enjoy it because the wealth they accumulate gives them access to it? Because on that basis, people who support and want to see premiership football teams will ALL have to be in the middle and upper classes because of the price of tickets.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »

And that relies on the assumption that people more often than not achieve what their natural level of intelligence would suggest of them, which isn't the case because of the disadvantages someone has coming from a lower income family, as well as the simple fact that not everyone wants to achieve as much as they can at all costs. Not to mention that there are many other factors other than intelligence involved in making money. Who's richer? Steven Hawking or Bill Gates? Who's more intelligent? Who's children will have better opportunities? I realise I'm comparing the rich with the super rich here, but bring it down a few million pounds, and you have the difference between a private school and the local comp, the difference between volunteering in the summer and working for cash, the difference between having contacts who can give opportunities to your kids, and your kids having to find everything themselves.
    This study carried out very recently, places Britain at the bottom of the so-called social mobility, just behind the USA. Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland are at the top. One of the reason's suggested is the educational advantages having money can get you in Britain, compared to other countries in the world (they quantified it on a graph on the BBC, and it was insanely higher, but I've not been able to find it).
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    It also depends on what you call 'social mobility'.

I think it is simply defined as "If you're born into a family, which is in the bottom 20% of earners, how likely are you to still be in the bottom 20% of earners by the time you're grown up?"
  • Options
    Hiya, first post. I've been lurking for ages but this topic is a great interest of mine as I went to a poor school, have become rich through hard work, but don't think I'll ever be able to move up the social class ladder because money can't override my accent, background, and lack of genuine interest in opera, fine wines etc!

I don't know how some of you can say that class doesn't matter anymore when people are so very different based on social class. Yes, there is reasonable economic class mobility - people from all backgrounds can become wealthy/successful doctors, managers, business leaders etc. But this won't change their social class - just because you become rich doesn't mean you'll suddenly be welcomed by middle/upper class social circles and do the things they do. In a country where a lot of these groups still ask ask a first question "what [prep] school did you go to" even though you've graduated, what your parents do etc there is rife elitism based on your background rather than meritocracy.

I think class divisions in UK are much greater than racial ones - if you are black/Asian but go to Eton you'll have a wealth of top opportunities, much more than a white person who goes to a normal school of course.

Some friendship groups, particularly those gained at some universities, will have people from a range of social classes/backgrounds, but generally social groups are much more likely to be exclusive to the social class in question - "posh"-looking people may not exactly be welcomed in a traditionally working class pub, and vice-versa for a gentleman's club.

Whilst economic mobility can easily happen within the space of 5 years - someone going from a bad school to a good uni to a good job, social mobility would take an entire generation, for example this newly rich person sending their children to a top school. We've seen this with a lot of British Asians for example, who came here with nothing, worked hard to become rich, and now their children go to Eton/Westminster and have penetrated the upper echelons of society.

Finally, this BBC article today is very interesting:
    We are still to a large extent a society divided by wealth, with future elites groomed at particular schools and universities, while the educational opportunities available to those from non-privileged backgrounds make it much more difficult for them to reach the top."

The highest concentration of Oxbridge graduates was found to be among judges: 78% of those surveyed in 2007 had been to university at Oxford or Cambridge, compared with 87% in 1989.

Judges were also the most likely to have been privately educated, the research suggests. In 2007, 70% were from independent schools while in 1989 the figure was 74%.

This year 42% of the politicians surveyed were ex-Oxbridge, compared with 62% in 1974.
  • Options
    Yeah, but judges are old. Don't they have to have done 10 years as a QC (sorry if that's wrong but I am at work and don't have time to check), so therefore, a judge will be old.

It will take time for things to trickle down. I suspect judges in 40 years time will be a much more mixed bunch.
  • Options
    I don't. There might be less from Oxbridge, but that just means that there are more good universities than Oxford and Cambridge nowadays, it doesn't mean that the people who get the top jobs from these universities won't be equally privilaged in growing up. It doesn't surprise you one bit though that most people consider judges and high-level politicians to be out of touch with the majority of people they claim to represent.
  • Options
    I don't. There might be less from Oxbridge, but that just means that there are more good universities than Oxford and Cambridge nowadays, it doesn't mean that the people who get the top jobs from these universities won't be equally privilaged in growing up. It doesn't surprise you one bit though that most people consider judges and high-level politicians to be out of touch with the majority of people they claim to represent.

I don't think a judge is there to represent the public. They are there to be impartial and to apply the law equally to all.

I go to court a lot and although all the judges I have seen have been old white men, a lot of the barristers are women, some are Asian and black...these are the people who will go on to be judges. I don't mean them specifically but judges are generally taken from barristers, so if more women/ethnic minorities/ppl from different backgrounds are barristers, it stands to reason that in years to come, the make up of judges will reflect that.
  • Options
    Ah you see, I never go to court because I'm a good boy. :angel:
  • Options
    And that relies on the assumption that people more often than not achieve what their natural level of intelligence would suggest of them, which isn't the case because of the disadvantages someone has coming from a lower income family, as well as the simple fact that not everyone wants to achieve as much as they can at all costs..

I would disagree, I would certainly say that the majority achieve what their intelligence allows them to, certainly a lot more than in earlier generations at least.

In general intelligent people will do better than less intelligent people, there really can be little argument with that.

The level of mobility may be less than other countries for whatever reason but the trend for lower mobility is to be expected because once you have moved from a relatively immobile society to a relatively mobile society and a meritocracy, because ability is largely inherited, families are likely to remain in their category in large numbers of cases.

hence why it is no surprise that children of graduates are more likely to go to university than children of non-graduates for example......
  • Options
    Yeah, but judges are old. Don't they have to have done 10 years as a QC (sorry if that's wrong but I am at work and don't have time to check), so therefore, a judge will be old.

It will take time for things to trickle down. I suspect judges in 40 years time will be a much more mixed bunch.

Exactly, when these old geezers were of University age, Oxbridge really did represent, to all intents and purposes, the be all and end all of higher education which couldn't be further from the truth these days.
  • Options
    Economic stance.

All this shit about manners and dress sense are bollocks.

Social mobility was actually more prevelant in the 50's than it is today.
  • Options
    Exactly, when these old geezers were of University age, Oxbridge really did represent, to all intents and purposes, the be all and end all of higher education which couldn't be further from the truth these days.
    But take a look at new graduate barristers, where they're from. Not people who do a BVC at law school but the ones who actually secure a pupillage at the end. They are overwhelmingly Oxbridge, easily the majority, and not only that most of them have 1sts.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    All this shit about manners and dress sense are bollocks.
    Why? However rich I get, I will never be able to improve my social status, because I don't have the same etiquette and esquisite taste of people brought up that way.. my children however will be able to move up the social class ladder when I send them to a good school.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    But take a look at new graduate barristers, where they're from. Not people who do a BVC at law school but the ones who actually secure a pupillage at the end. They are overwhelmingly Oxbridge, easily the majority, and not only that most of them have 1sts.

hmmm I am inclined to disagree. Having just completed the LPC at UWE and therefore meeting fellow students doing the BVC, I have first hand knowledge.

The majority of those at UWE either stayed from their degree or transferred from a similar uni, and most have pupillages.

Any chance you know Jomery? I think you would get on rather well.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    hmmm I am inclined to disagree. Having just completed the LPC at UWE and therefore meeting fellow students doing the BVC, I have first hand knowledge.

The majority of those at UWE either stayed from their degree or transferred from a similar uni, and most have pupillages.
    Where? My experience is of London, Inns here are v Oxbridge, and seen a lot of people saying how hard it is to get in. Might be different outside London?
  • Options
    Why? However rich I get, I will never be able to improve my social status, because I don't have the same etiquette and esquisite taste of people brought up that way.. my children however will be able to move up the social class ladder when I send them to a good school.

:confused:

Anyone can learn etiquette.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Where? My experience is of London, Inns here are v Oxbridge, and seen a lot of people saying how hard it is to get in. Might be different outside London?

UWE = University of the West of England

I was under the assumption all the inns of court were based in London? Yeah it is hard to get in, but they dont only take those from Oxbridge.