Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Social Classes and Mobility

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katchika wrote: »
    not smoking.

Oh dear. So Prince William & Harry would become "lower class" by smoking? :lol:
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :confused:

Anyone can learn etiquette.
    Maybe - but it's quite easy for them to tell the difference between the real deal and a fake, hence the term "faux-rah" for someone trying to artificially move up the social ladder. And anyway I have no genuine interest in opera, fine wine, hunting, fencing, shooting, classical music, classical literature, port, beagling, polo and the stuff posh people I know do, so I'll never properly fit in with them.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Maybe - but it's quite easy for them to tell the difference between the real deal and a fake, hence the term "faux-rah" for someone trying to artificially move up the social ladder. And anyway I have no genuine interest in opera, fine wine, hunting, fencing, shooting, classical music, classical literature, port, beagling, polo and the stuff posh people I know do, so I'll never properly fit in with them.

why does any of this matter? You are who you are, and you should be comfortable with yourself and your upbringing.
    How are you friends with 'posh people' if you dont fit in with them?

The more I read your posts you either know Jomery/are Jomery or at least aspire to be like him!
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    why does any of this matter? You are who you are, and you should be comfortable with yourself and your upbringing.
    I am comfortable with myself, the problem is with what I do I have to deal with them all day and don't really feel at ease cos I don't fit in. Don't have posh friends cos I don't fit in with them, don't have my schoolmates cos I moved down south..oh well.
  • Options
    I remember reading in sociology years ago that class is sometimes dependant on your chosen career, where you live and how you were raised, not how much money you earnt.

I'd try to be more specific but it was about 7 years ago and I promptly forgot all my ejukashun wen i joined da feds.
    lol, seriously, anyone who was working, paid rent/had a mortgage was considered to be middle class.
    Millionaires were the uppers and the permanantly unemployable were the lowers. I think that's how it went.

Saying that, from experience i've met and worked with a lot of "poor" people who work damn hard for everything they've got. I've met a lot of rich people who are complete tossers and think they can do what they want. Spoilt kids are the worst, I get more back chat off them.
  • Options
    I find it laughable that people continue to try and claim that intelligence is solely inherited, seeing as the Bell Curve was discredited a couple of ice ages ago. Give everyone a level playing field and I bet that a lot of the so-called "academic elite" would flounder, and a fair few of the so-called "underclass" would prosper.

Academic ability, which is all the IQ test boils down to, is largely governed by environment. Someone who comes from the best environment will undoubtedly prosper against someone who comes from the worst environment, regardless of inate ability. This has been proven time and time again, and whilst recognising this with SureStart was one of Labour's best policies, changing the rules so that the poor can no longer afford to reach the highest levels of education was one of Labour's worst.

I don't believe we have a meritocracy, and I don't believe that a meritocracy is ever possible without some drastic wealth redistribution. The haves have an immediate advantage over the have-nots, and anyone who tries to claim that the haves are genetically better is talking tosh.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    I find it laughable that people continue to try and claim that intelligence is solely inherited, seeing as the Bell Curve was discredited a couple of ice ages ago. Give everyone a level playing field and I bet that a lot of the so-called "academic elite" would flounder, and a fair few of the so-called "underclass" would prosper.

Academic ability, which is all the IQ test boils down to, is largely governed by environment. Someone who comes from the best environment will undoubtedly prosper against someone who comes from the worst environment, regardless of inate ability. This has been proven time and time again, and whilst recognising this with SureStart was one of Labour's best policies, changing the rules so that the poor can no longer afford to reach the highest levels of education was one of Labour's worst.

I don't believe we have a meritocracy, and I don't believe that a meritocracy is ever possible without some drastic wealth redistribution. The haves have an immediate advantage over the have-nots, and anyone who tries to claim that the haves are genetically better is talking tosh.
    Pretty good post. The bottom line is, like I said 2 days ago, money cannot buy class. You can work your bollocks off at a shit school to get good grades, but however hard you've worked to achieve stuff if you're working class you will have a bloody tough time getting a job as an investment banker, management consultant, barrister etc, where people in the industry are themselves posh/elitist. And even if you get in you'll have a tough time at client parties/events. Whereas the ideal person for that stuff would be your rugby-playing, well-spoken Marlborough kid, tall well-built alpha male - world is their oyster, even if they're actually pretty stupid despite their paid-for grades.
  • Options
    Exactly. How many people from low income families actually got to the top of a certain profession by working for someone else? Every example I hear are people who set up their own business and just happened to be brilliant at it.

If Alan Sugar or Richard Branson had gone to university and got a job instead of going it alone, does anyone believe they'd be on the board of a top company today?
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »

The more I read your posts you either know Jomery/are Jomery or at least aspire to be like him!

I don't see how he has posted anything like what Jomery has posted.

I think he's got a point.
  • Options
    Why? However rich I get, I will never be able to improve my social status, because I don't have the same etiquette and esquisite taste of people brought up that way.. my children however will be able to move up the social class ladder when I send them to a good school.

Where abouts are you from? Just out of curiousity.
  • Options
    seeing as the Bell Curve was discredited a couple of ice ages ago..

How can the Bell Curve be discredited? It's like saying graphs were discredited ice ages ago.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

How can the Bell Curve be discredited? It's like saying graphs were discredited ice ages ago.
    Exactly. The Bell Curve is a true scientific phenomenon - whether people like it or not, certain groups are overall more intelligent than others based on socio-economic or racial group - there's bright sparks in every group but the proportions are much higher in some groups than others. Attempts to 'discredit' it are a complete joke, it's diatribe from a loony lefty brigade who say we're all the same and every group is as good as one another. Like someone else said, when you see a black female working class person as PM maybe I'll believe that.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    Exactly. The Bell Curve is a true scientific phenomenon - whether people like it or not, certain groups are overall more intelligent than others based on socio-economic or racial group - there's bright sparks in every group but the proportions are much higher in some groups than others. Attempts to 'discredit' it are a complete joke, it's diatribe from a loony lefty brigade who say we're all the same and every group is as good as one another. Like someone else said, when you see a black female working class person as PM maybe I'll believe that.

So some races are more 'intelligent' than others?

And I think that it's more to do with the definition of intelligence (even though there is a heavy emphasis on academic intelligence in this thread). There is definately a difference in culture between many working class groups and many middle class groups as well as different values. Different attitudes towards education for example.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    So some races are more 'intelligent' than others?
    Not in the sense that 'all of group A is superior to all of group B' obviously, but if you think of overlapping bell curves by race that best explains it:
    700-1.png
    If all environmental factors are provisioned equally (education, food etc), Asian people are the most intelligent, and the least physically strong. Black people are the least intelligent, and the most physically strong. White people have a good equilibrium. This is simple evolutionary theory, which of course will be dismissed for being "racist". If people open their eyes and see the lack of Asians on the start line of the 100m final, and their heavy prevalence at Oxbridge, in direct contrast to black people, maybe they'd think about it. Obviously socio-economic factors are key here (Asian emphasis on education), but what about 'playing to your strengths' too..
  • Options

I'm not on about race. I'm talking about the Bell Curve itself, it has many uses.
  • Options
    Not in the sense that 'all of group A is superior to all of group B' obviously, but if you think of overlapping bell curves by race that best explains it:
    700-1.png
    If all environmental factors are provisioned equally (education, food etc), Asian people are the most intelligent, and the least physically strong. Black people are the least intelligent, and the most physically strong. White people have a good equilibrium. This is simple evolutionary theory, which of course will be dismissed for being "racist". If people open their eyes and see the lack of Asians on the start line of the 100m final, and their heavy prevalence at Oxbridge, in direct contrast to black people, maybe they'd think about it. Obviously socio-economic factors are key here (Asian emphasis on education), but what about 'playing to your strengths' too..
    What country is it based on?

I think that 'Asian' is a pretty broad term seeing as there are racial differences between somebody from Bangladesh and China as well as huge cultural differences.

I this is based on a certain country, well it tends to be people who are ethnically black who live in some of the most impoverished conditions, in ghettos for example. Surely that has a bigger factor to play when measuring intelligence than race.
  • Options
    What country is it based on?

I think that 'Asian' is a pretty broad term seeing as there are racial differences between somebody from Bangladesh and China as well as huge cultural differences.

I this is based on a certain country, well it tends to be people who are ethnically black who live in some of the most impoverished conditions, in ghettos for example. Surely that has a bigger factor to play when measuring intelligence than race.
    That graph is USA, and would be very similar in any country where there's all races like UK. I deliberately said 'Asian' as Indians, Chinese, Koreans etc are all very intelligent people in general.

Yes black people live in some of the most impoverished conditions. Why do you think that is? If they represented in blue on that bell curve graph and Asians (or whites, for that matter) in yellow it would be the other way round.
  • Options
    Btw I am in no way disregarding how much cultural and socio-economic effects have a part to play, obviously more so than genetic intelligence, but it annoys me when people assert we're all the same and no group is overall more intelligent than another. The average IQ (or whatever way you want to measure raw intelligence) of the rich is higher than the poor, Asian higher than black (and quite starkedly according to the graph), etc. To think all groups are as intelligent as one another is ignorant. (I'm talking overall here, as previously stated obviously not all of group A are better than all of group B).
  • Options
    Yes black people live in some of the most impoverished conditions. Why do you think that is?

Gee I don't know! I guess it must be because of their race because they have always had it better than other people in the USA haven't they! ::)

When is this graph from?
  • Options
    Btw I am in no way disregarding how much cultural and socio-economic effects have a part to play, obviously more so than genetic intelligence, but it annoys me when people assert we're all the same and no group is overall more intelligent than another. The average IQ (or whatever way you want to measure raw intelligence) of the rich is higher than the poor, Asian higher than black (and quite starkedly according to the graph), etc. To think all groups are as intelligent as one another is ignorant. (I'm talking overall here, as previously stated obviously not all of group A are better than all of group B).
    I disagree. People have arrived in this country and in the states at different times, from different cultures, for different purposes. Look at the history of slavery and race in the United States... How can you say that black people are less intelligent when they haven't even had the same opportunities as white people historically?

Hispanic people are slightly less intelligent? Could it be because *shock-horror* demographically they are another marginalised group?

I do not mean to stereotype and know there are exceptions to the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there were Chinese people working on the railtracks in the states, as well as white irish people who also lved in poverty... But you cannot deny that history has a role to play in perceived intelligence. I am sure that the graph would have been very different, had it been white people subjigated thoughout history.
  • Options
    Gee I don't know! I guess it must be because of their race because they have always had it better than other people in the USA haven't they! :)
    Slavery finished a century or three ago, can't blame that for their current state when economic (but not social) mobility is perfectly possible.
    When is this graph from?
    The mid 1990s - is part of The Bell Curve book, criticisms of which are somewhat comical.
  • Options
    I disagree. People have arrived in this country and in the states at different times, from different cultures, for different purposes. Look at the history of slavery and race in the United States... How can you say that black people are less intelligent when they haven't even had the same opportunities as white people historically?

Hispanic people are slightly less intelligent? Could it be because *shock-horror* demographically they are another marginalised group?

I do not mean to stereotype and know there are exceptions to the rule.

Don't get me wrong, I know that there were Chinese people working on the railtracks in the states, as well as white irish people who also lved in poverty... But you cannot deny that history has a role to play in perceived intelligence. I am sure that the graph would have been very different, had it been white people subjigated thoughout history.
    What does opportunity have to do with intelligence? Intelligence is raw and genetic.. or do you think it develops/nurtures over time? If that's true then yes obviously marginalised groups have had less opportunities to develop themselves mentally, but as a result they are less genetically intelligent.
  • Options
    Slavery finished a century or three ago, can't blame that for their current state when economic (but not social) mobility is perfectly possible.
    Yes it did and then black people were treated like shit, forced to drink from different fountains, ghettoised, strung up.

You believe that black people in the states have since the slave trade, posessed the same opportunities for economic mobility as white people? You don't think that race issues were involved with the economic mobility of black people? Or are dem durty blacks jes stoopid?

It's not as simplistic as one race being intellectually more inferior than others, it is far more profound and moulded by history.
  • Options
    What does opportunity have to do with intelligence? Intelligence is raw and genetic.. or do you think it develops/nurtures over time? If that's true then yes obviously marginalised groups have had less opportunities to develop themselves mentally, but as a result they are less genetically intelligent.
    How was this research even conducted?
  • Options
    There were IQ tests conducted on Army recruits during the second world war, which have since been dismissed as a load of tosh.
    Most of the black recruits had no education and were unable to read/write. Instead of being able to give the test verbally they were given a pencil and told to answer the questions. Unsurprisingly they didn't do too well, and it led to decades of black people being considered to be stupid.
  • Options
    When i've been in America, there still seems to be a massive division between white and black people.

I don't think intelligence is just genetic. Neither of my parents have education post 16. No one in my family has been to uni. However I've always done well in school, was in the top 1% and on the gifted and talented register. However my brother has aspergers syndrome. So according to the genetic theory - i should be 'thick' right? I went to a really good primary school (many parents were taking their kids out of private school to go there) and when I got to senior school I was way ahead of my peers. But at senior school I felt held back.
    I have a friend whos parents are both teachers, her older brothers both have degrees and her younger sister is the best in her year - yet she struggles at school. I think genetics do play a role, but I think environment plays a much bigger role.
  • Options

I know a very upper class guy. He is into shooting, hunting, etc. I think classical music is more of an old people thing though, he listens to dance music.

Ummm there are plenty of interests people can have in common, eg general gossip, TV, chat about life, not just the above list.

I went to the opera once. It was dire, never again. If that is what you have to be into to be upper class they can keep it.
    :)
  • Options

I don't think anyone said it was 'solely' inherited. No denying though that the children of two intelligent people (by whatever measure) are more likely to be intelligent themselves than the children of two less intelligent people.

Not sure what the Bell Curve has to do with that, if you are referring to the the theories on the differing distributions of intelligence of ethnic groups (and not something else that is normally distributed) I don't see what that has to do with it......

I don't see how Labour has restricted opportuniteis for eduaction for the poor, the new scheme, with the grants and loans for fees should encourage the poorest to attend university if they have the abiltity, certainly more so than the previous scheme, plus the university sector has continued to expand thus offering more opportunities.....

Of course richer people have advantages in life, but they are not as great as they used to be......
  • Options
    Back to the original point of the thread -

imho -

I'm old school on this - I define class by the relation the mode of production. Anyone whose worked in a call centre will realise how much it's a myth that everyone is middle class or that there's no industrial jobs anymore. You're still on a factory floor getting paid fuck all so that the owner of a company can make a massive personal profit.

Anything else is ultimately a marketing tool, and tends to reinforce predujice and division by allowing people they've some how improved themselves when all they've really done is buy a new telly, got a mark on a piece of paper or read some Ovid.
  • Options
    Nice bit of Marxist twaddle.

So you are either a worker or a capitalist correct?

Marketing tool of whom exactly?

I don't think many people have said that everyone is middle class, no denying that many, many more people are than say 150 years ago, or 100 years ago, or 50 years ago...

Do call centre workers earn fuck all? A quick look on some websites suggests not......