Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which uni...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Honestly, I spend so much time trying to persuade people that not everyone who went to public school is a total arrogant self-obsessed conceited wanker and then one person comes and undoes it all. Oh well.

And Jomery, don't mess with Franki. She'll kick your arse. And I should know.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    I only clicked fb. It says he's an Administrator at a retail bank, which is what I said he did. Calm down petal.
    Clever Jomery, you can read ONE WHOLE WORD out of the TWO that are there.

Tell me, do you actually know what a Wintel Administrator actually DOES? Because I think you may have got it very very wrong.
  • Options
    Honestly, I spend so much time trying to persuade people that not everyone who went to public school is a total arrogant self-obsessed conceited wanker and then one person comes and undoes it all. Oh well.

And Jomery, don't mess with Franki. She'll kick your arse. And I should know.
    Listen to this man. This man speaks truth.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster

I have a fair few friends who went to public school and I don't think they are twats. I refuse to generalise a group of people like that. Yeah, I also know some public school people who are twats, but I also know of many inner city comp students who are twats too.

Most people with brains won't make these sweeping generalisation. It's just the twats who do it, methinks ;)
  • Options
    I have a fair few friends who went to public school and I don't think they are twats. I refuse to generalise a group of people like that. Yeah, I also know some public school people who are twats, but I also know of many inner city comp students who are twats too.

Most people with brains won't make these sweeping generalisation. It's just the twats who do it, methinks ;)

Yeah I guess. I went to school will a LOT of people like Jomery and thus I'm fairly well versed with people like that. Sadly wankers are a fact of life but just so you know us public school people aren't all that bad.
  • Options
    :banghead: :( :banghead: :crying: :banghead:

I devote sooooo much time trying to persuade people that Cambridge isn't full of arrogant wankers like Jomerey, and then he comes along and mouths off like that.

I even seem to have some success as we've managed to get college applications up across all subjects from applicants from under represented groups (state schools/certain areas/girls in Science or Engineering). :D

Sadly there are utter tosspots in Cambridge, most of whom went to public schools of the Eton/Harrow/Malborough persuasion. BUT handily enough they tend to only associate with like minded twazzocks so the rest of us are ok.

Sorry, realise that was a slight tangent but couldn't quite hold back and leave nothing on the side of the nice Cambridge students.....

Ps. Thought it might make a few people laugh, ASNAC (anglo saxon norse and celtic, which is what Jomerey degree is supposedly in is one of the most derided courses in the uni, and those on it have a reputation for non existant social skills with the outside world. Obviously this is only uni banter, but thought might raise a smile! :p
    A lot of the students, the tutors and the university staff are working very hard to dissolve the public school cliques and the horrendous image that goes with them, and then I see stuff like that under the crest and it makes me shudder.
  • Options
    I suppose the working class aren't so bad when they're fixing your electricity, plumbing, doing your shopping, cleaning, driving your taxi, helping treat you at the dentist/hospital etc though?
  • Options
    :banghead: :( :banghead: :crying: :banghead:

I devote sooooo much time trying to persuade people that Cambridge isn't full of arrogant wankers like Jomerey, and then he comes along and mouths off like that.

I even seem to have some success as we've managed to get college applications up across all subjects from applicants from under represented groups (state schools/certain areas/girls in Science or Engineering). :D

Awesome, well done you! God knows, my engineering buddies could do with a few more ladies on their courses :D
    Sadly there are utter tosspots in Cambridge, most of whom went to public schools of the Eton/Harrow/Malborough persuasion. BUT handily enough they tend to only associate with like minded twazzocks so the rest of us are ok.

Well perhaps that stems from the fact that those are all second-rate inferior public schools :)
    Ps. Thought it might make a few people laugh, ASNAC (anglo saxon norse and celtic, which is what Jomerey degree is supposedly in is one of the most derided courses in the uni, and those on it have a reputation for non existant social skills with the outside world. Obviously this is only uni banter, but thought might raise a smile! :p

So like sociology then (or Anthropology as it's called upon the Cam)? Only kidding (before some sociologist flames me) but it's hard to miss the perennial graffiti on many a toilet roll dispenser around many a university :D
  • Options
    I even seem to have some success as we've managed to get college applications up across all subjects from applicants from under represented groups (state schools/certain areas/
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    What makes Cambridge (and Oxford) so special is that they are elitist, and exclusive. Letting in any old riff raff with AAA is just ruining things.
  • Options

Why does that not surprise me :chin:.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    :
    twazzocks

:lol:

Twassock! I love that word. Haven't heard it in years though :D

You've just made my night :D
  • Options
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
    What makes Cambridge (and Oxford) so special is that they are elitist, and exclusive. Letting in any old riff raff with AAA is just ruining things.

If you have the grades then what does it matter? It's not fair to dismiss someone because of their background, while happily letting another with the same grades from a more affluent background walk though the gates. My cousin comes from a working class family, he works really hard to get straight A's and wants to go to oxford/cambridge and hopefully become a doctor. He could be saving someones life someday. So should he be denied an education at oxbridge because of his parents income and where he grew up?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    If you have the grades then what does it matter? It's not fair to dismiss someone because of their background, while happily letting another with the same grades from a more affluent background walk though the gates. My cousin comes from a working class family, he works really hard to get straight A's and wants to go to oxford/cambridge and hopefully become a doctor. He could be saving someones life someday. So should he be denied an education at oxbridge because of his parents income and where he grew up?

If anything, she deserves it more because she's had to work with it. But I can tell what Jomery's response is going to be. So predictable it makes me doubt the fact that he's not all that serious and just doing it to be annoying though I wouldn't put the fact that he might be genuine past the realms of possibility.
  • Options
    Sorry Jomerey,

but I think you'll find that tutors tend to pride themselves on picking good applicants from interview rather than from A Level grades......

I like twazzock, it's a very under used word. :D

And as for girls in Engineering, we've got a long way to go yet, but I'm one on the way! (although the lots of men thing is attractive, until you meet too many of them....)

And ASNAC is arguable worse than anthropology or sociology, at least their stereotype has a social life!
  • Options
    I love the May balls, dinner parties, black tie events, exclusive sports/drinking societies etc, mixing with the right sort of people..if you just let in people of any social class with the right grades it just ruins the special elitist atmosphere Cambridge possesses..through my years there I saw it continulously eroded with those access schemes, GEEMA or whatever, makes my blood boil. Quit social engineering and leave things be.
  • Options
    ^^ :crying:
  • Options
    If anything, she deserves it more because she's had to work with it. But I can tell what Jomery's response is going to be. So predictable it makes me doubt the fact that he's not all that serious and just doing it to be annoying though I wouldn't put the fact that he might be genuine past the realms of possibility.

It's a he. :p
  • Options
    I love the May balls, dinner parties, black tie events, exclusive sports/drinking societies etc, mixing with the right sort of people..if you just let in people of any social class with the right grades it just ruins the special elitist atmosphere Cambridge possesses..through my years there I saw it continulously eroded with those access schemes, GEEMA or whatever, makes my blood boil. Quit social engineering and leave things be.

Good Lord is it the 19th century already?
  • Options
    Are you sure you met Bryn? Because from what you've said there, I don't think you'd have got on particularly well with him...
  • Options

So 'working class' shouldn't be allowed in because it upsets the toffs? People like you are a fine example of why we need social engineering. You make it sound like the working class spread some kind of disease. How can they ruin the atmosphere?
  • Options
    How can they ruin the atmosphere?
    By being there. Eugh.
  • Options
    By being there. Eugh.

So should they stop admitting international students too? Not all working class ooze a discusting essence by being present. Look down on the working class all you want - but I suggest you actually speak to some first before tarring us all with the same brush.
  • Options
    So should they stop admitting international students too?
    What? Some of the internationals are legends - particularly the wealthy Americans, sons of Arabian princes, etc. They really know how to let their hair down and party. The generic Chinese on the other hand who can't speak a word of Inglish and don't contribute whatsoever to university life outside their Maths degrees, don't get me started...
  • Options
    Gross, nobody wants a stinky American around. Even the wealthy are riff raff.

(I apologize, dreamy_me)
  • Options
    The generic Chinese on the other hand who can't speak a word of Inglish and don't contribute whatsoever to university life outside their Maths degrees, don't get me started...

I bet my left nut they could spell English correctly.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    if you just let in people of any social class with the right grades it just ruins the special elitist atmosphere Cambridge possesses..through my years there I saw it continulously eroded with those access schemes, GEEMA or whatever, makes my blood boil. Quit social engineering and leave things be.

Could you possibly be more offensive or vulgar? Actually, don't answer that. Just stop derailing the thread with your nonsense. :yuck:

Now, back to some genuine tips on choosing a good uni.
  • Options
    What? Some of the internationals are legends - particularly the wealthy Americans, sons of Arabian princes, etc. They really know how to let their hair down and party. The generic Chinese on the other hand who can't speak a word of Inglish and don't contribute whatsoever to university life outside their Maths degrees, don't get me started...

So the working class don't know how to party?
  • Options
    I bet my left nut they could spell English correctly.
    Oh dear, that was deliberate.. like www.Engrish.com
  • Options
    I think location is an important part. Whether you want to be deep in the city with the action or out in a small town or suburban area. As others ahve said, visiting the campus will be good. I'm not sure about there, but in the summer before classes start, school usually have an open house sort of deal that you can go in, tour the campus and some of the dorms, meet with councelors and even a couple teachers of your area of interest. They have presentations and you can ask lots of questions to those with the right answers. Make a weekend out of it. Get a feel for the whole area and everything the school has to offer. I'd really suggest looking into something like that if they are offered.
  • Options
    So the working class don't know how to party?
    They start fights too much, cannot appreciate the difference between fine wines, and are just on a different wavelength. I can't interact with them.