Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which uni...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    Link doesn't work. How did you reach the conclusion that you're 'prehaps the most employable person on here for a vsat range of professions'?

Because he's an arrogant fuck who thinks the world shines out of his arse just because he went to public school, Cambridge and has a good job despite being very sheltered, having seen fuck all real life and not being able to get a girl for love nor money.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    Thank god I went to the schools I did because you CANNOT get by in life constantly being as judgemental as you portray yourself to be
    Why not? I live in the City. I associate with my friends and colleagues only. Barely ever do I need to deal with the general public - I don't use public transport and have Concierge doing my shopping, dry-cleaning etc. I can live well enough only associating with one part of society thankyou.
  • Options
    Jomery wrote: »
    Nothing at all. But they just wouldn't fit in at Ascot, Boujis VIP rooms and Tatler magazine, would they? There's some things intellect can't buy.

Why wouldn't they? Ascot's a horse racing event. If they were interested in going, why wouldn't they fit in?

As for the VIP room, again why not? They're just as good looking, just as intelligent, just as charming. In fact they probably have these qualities in more abundance than most. So what's holding them back? Daddy's bank balance? Because that's all that separates them as far as I can tell.

But if they themselves are successful and rich, what difference does it make?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Link doesn't work. How did you reach the conclusion that you're 'prehaps the most employable person on here for a vsat range of professions'?
    I've had offers from the hardest firms to get into across the board - in consultancy, banking and law. My CV shows how all-rounded I am - tons of sport, and lots of business/sales/numerical/technical skills, have every confidence I'd be able to get any job which doesn't specify a degree choice (ie most of them).
  • Options
    Why not? I live in the City. I associate with my friends and colleagues only. Barely ever do I need to deal with the general public - I don't use public transport and have Concierge doing my shopping, dry-cleaning etc. I can live well enough only associating with one part of society thankyou.

You've never had sex or had a relationship with a girl and you're 23. You call that living well? Absolute bollocks. Open your eyes man.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they? Ascot's a horse racing event. If they were interested in going, why wouldn't they fit in?
    From the top hats to the subjects of conversation, they wouldn't fit in. Why were there barely any state schoolers at Ascot the weekend before last?
    As for the VIP room, again why not? They're just as good looking, just as intelligent, just as charming. In fact they probably have these qualities in more abundance than most. So what's holding them back? Daddy's bank balance? Because that's all that separates them as far as I can tell.
    If you don't look of the right class you will not be allowed in, the door person will turn you away. Go to http://www.VeneerParties.com and register - oh yeah sorry you can't, because you're not of the right calibre they're looking for.
    But if they themselves are successful and rich, what difference does it make?
    Money doesn't buy class, that's something you're born with and gain at an early age. You can't just go to an inner city comp, work hard, become rich and find yourself suddenly with high society, that's not how London generally works.
  • Options
    You've never had sex or had a relationship with a girl and you're 23. You call that living well? Absolute bollocks. Open your eyes man.
    I'm going out with an investment banker from Oxford - see recent posts, times are changing my friend. It's early days but I can see things progressing, once I have that I have absolutely everything one could possibly want :)
  • Options
    I'm going out with an investment banker from Oxford - see recent posts, times are changing my friend. It's early days but I can see things progressing, once I have that I have absolutely everything one could possibly want :)

:lol: yes a woman who works so much she can't see you, so is after the trophy bf to say she has one, just like what you are after in a gf.
  • Options

Or until she realises what a soulless, vapid, snobbish, arrogant and material waste of space you really are.
  • Options
    From the top hats to the subjects of conversation, they wouldn't fit in. Why were there barely any state schoolers at Ascot the weekend before last?

That's not my point. My grammar school educated friend who is beautiful, intelligent, witty and dresses well. Why would she not fit in at Ascot?

If you don't look of the right class you will not be allowed in, the door person will turn you away. Go to http://www.VeneerParties.com and register - oh yeah sorry you can't, because you're not of the right calibre they're looking for.

Well I'm a student so it would be pretty hard for me to get into somewhere like that. Give me a chance to get a career first eh?

I've looked at those websites. My friend is just as good looking if not better than most of the girls I see on the photos. Why wouldn't she fit in? She looks good, dresses well, is intelligent, Cambridge etc.

Money doesn't buy class, that's something you're born with and gain at an early age. You can't just go to an inner city comp, work hard, become rich and find yourself suddenly with high society, that's not how London generally works.

What do you define as class? What is this class you're born with? As far as I can see, the only thing that separates you from my friend is your father's bank balance.
  • Options
    Or until she realises what a soulless, vapid, snobbish, arrogant and material waste of space you really are.
    Like I already said, my in-person persona is wonderful, I come across as such a generous caring person, my dark side only comes out online. Nobody knows. Quite amusing really.
  • Options
    I've had offers from the hardest firms to get into across the board - in consultancy, banking and law. My CV shows how all-rounded I am - tons of sport, and lots of business/sales/numerical/technical skills, have every confidence I'd be able to get any job which doesn't specify a degree choice (ie most of them).

What's your point? And how do you know no-one else on the board has done better than you?
  • Options
    Like I already said, my in-person persona is wonderful, I come across as such a generous caring person, my dark side only comes out online. Nobody knows. Quite amusing really.

Yes I'm sure you're quite the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...
  • Options
    He is an administrator at a retail bank. Hardly a "lovely city job" petal.

A university graduate going out with someone still at school..I got ripped to shreds for that on this site a few months ago.

And how does that metter who Franki goes out with. I've met her and her fella several times and they are very happy couple. Maybe you just jealous of them? Could you be any more fucking patronising and hypocritical?
  • Options
    Could you be any more fucking patronising and hypocritical?

Im 100% sure he can be. :D
  • Options
    Maybe you just jealous of them?
    Yes I'm jealous of a Plymouth Uni grad working in retail bank admin and going out with a schoolgirl :chin:
  • Options
    don't insult grads who've actually achieved competitive jobs by claiming being a trainee accountancy (in Norwich!) is hard to get. from a decent uni you can become a trainee accountant with a virtually empty CV. And dull numbercrunching isn't exactly most people's first choice career, it's what they resort to if unable to get the high-flying stuff with better client exposure, responsibility and opportunities.

Dull numbercruching? WTF?!

I've worked in accounts for nearly four years now. Dont have a degree, uni isnt for me, worked and studied for three years and at the age of 21 I'm a proffesional body member. I was even single handley running a group accounts department at the age of 20! It been my first choice of career since I was 15/16. And theres is actually a hell of a lot more to accouting then "dull numbercruching". But being the stuck up langer you are, you couldnt possible realise that.
  • Options
    He is an administrator at a retail bank. Hardly a "lovely city job" petal.

A university graduate going out with someone still at school..I got ripped to shreds for that on this site a few months ago.
    1) That isn't what he does, so get your fucking facts straight before you start mouthing off next time, k?

2) What the fuck does it matter if it's not a "lovely city job" to you? He loves his job and they hired him almost entirely on the basis of his personality and skills after he did his placement year with them, not because of the status of his fucking university.

3) How the fuck do you know where he works anyway? Are you stalking me? Because you all of a sudden seem to know a lot about the people I care about.

4) I'm not still in school, ta. I just finished a third year at one of the best sixth forms in Essex doing a very difficult course. I'm going to Uni a year later than I should have been because I didn't do as well as I should have in my first year. And now I bet you're gonna go mouthing off at me about that, too.

5) People don't rip us to shreds about it because he's not a fucking cunt like you are, and know that we're very happy, thank you, because we're mature enough to handle a proper relationship. Arsewipe.
    Jomery wrote:
    LOL!! You're not exactly a feminist's wet dream there are you petal? So much for gender equality and breaking down stereotypical gender roles, no no the guy's earning money so I don't have to bother. Good luck if you ever (shock horror) break up with him.

Way to misinterpret my post. I don't WANT a city job, it doesn't appeal to me. Rich has one, fair enough, but I couldn't deal with it. I know what I want to do, but I'm sure if I told you you'd just look down on me for THAT, as well. I'm going to earn my own money, how much he earns makes no difference to me. If (and imo it's a pretty big if) we do break up, I will be earning my own money and doing my own thing and it won't be a problem. My point is exactly as Bunnie put it - he got a good job (I don't give a fuck what you think, it IS a good job) on his own merit and he didn't need a degree from Oxbridge or one of the top 10 unis to do it.

In regards to this:
    Jomery wrote:
    If you want to do a career in Aeronautical Engineering you are much better off doing Engineering at Oxford than Aeronautical Engineering at Sussex.

I apologise, I wasn't aware that Oxford DID Engineering (although I am inclined to agree with Thunderstruck that the calibre of the course matters more than the calibre of the university). I wasn't interested in either the course or the university. But that wasn't my point, either. My point was that if she chose to go into a specific career then it would be infinitely more beneficial to her to go to a university which did the course which would point her towards that career than to go to one which didn't just because it was a more prestigious university.

I'm done now, except for one thing. If you say anything like this:
    Jomery wrote:
    Yes I'm jealous of a Plymouth Uni grad working in retail bank admin and going out with a schoolgirl :chin:

again, I am going to hunt you down and cut off your balls with a spoon. Do NOT insult me, because I am not the best person to get on the wrong side of.

Oh, and I am inclined to agree that you are jealous, because I sure as hell know you could never be in a relationship half as good as the one I'm in. Fuck. You.

End.
  • Options
    That time of the month love? :D
  • Options
    No, it's just people like you that annoy the FUCK out of me. Love.
  • Options
    Sure they're nice, intelligent people. But I'd be so ashamed to be associated with them, no fashion style, elegance and sophistication, they'd never get into the exclusive parties/clubs I attend.

Wow - such a lovely generalisation. So everyone who is working class are ugly and fashionless and not worthy to kiss the ground you walk on? I thought this kind of snobbishness had dissapeared. Clearly you have never taken time to meet any working class people. And if you only ever associate with fellow toffs, then you're never going to learn much about life.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Wow - such a lovely generalisation. So everyone who is working class are ugly and fashionless and not worthy to kiss the ground you walk on? I thought this kind of snobbishness had dissapeared. Clearly you have never taken time to meet any working class people.
    Clearly darling, he forgot to stalk me today, because if he had he would have seen how SHITHOT I looked in my smart stuff ;d.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yanno, for me, education isn't the be all and end all (ha! - this is coming from a teacher, too!)

For me, the best, most employable sort of people are those who are rounded - ie, yeah, a good education is a plus point, but to me, I would rather associate with those who are not self centred, arrogant, full of themselves and twattish in their behaviour. And I'm sure that a lot of employers would not employ people like these either.

These are the sorts of people I am proud to associate myself with. Not those who are obsessed with red brick universities, public school kids who have no social skills and are fixated on class or those who are so full of themselves they need to demean others on a public message board :thumb:
  • Options
    Yanno, for me, education isn't the bee all and end all (ha! - this is coming from a teacher, too!)

For me, the best, most employable sort of people are those who are rounded - ie, yeah, a good education is a plus point, but to me, I would rather associate with those who are not self centred, arrogant, full of themselves and twattish in their behaviour. And I'm sure that a lot of employers would not employ people like these either.

These are the sorts of people I am proud to associate myself with. Not those who are obsessed with red brick universities, public school kids who have no social skills and are fixated on class or those who are so full of themselves they need to demean others on a public message board :thumb:
    *applauds*

(What's the reckoning he completely ignores every single part of that post except the bit which says you're a teacher.....?)
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Clearly darling, he forgot to stalk me today, because if he had he would have seen how SHITHOT I looked in my smart stuff ;d.
    Don't link to your LiveJournal, MySpace and Facebook profiles with every personal detail in them to the whole world wide web, and then complain you're being "stalked" when it takes 2 clicks to see what your bf's "lovely city job" really is.
  • Options
    In reply to the original question - I am at Sheffield doing Politics and International Relations, and would say that apart from LSE then Sheffield would be your best choice for anything politics related amongst the unis you mentioned. For the other subjects I am not too familiar with their departments at Sheffield.
    Politics is a highly rated department which keeps improving and getting well-known and respected scholars among its staff. Also, LSE for my specific subject is only better by name, rather than overall rating.
    I know I am biased, but as said I am backed by the university league tables.

Yes, I will admit that I applied to LSE and didn't get in, but I think that Jomery lacks an important factor and that is how content you are with where you are.
    I would say that there is no point in having an Oxbridge degree if you afterwards look back at it as slavery rather than socially and academically stimulating. I am not saying that getting plastered and having a ravishing social life is the core of uni life, but I know that I wouldn't want to have been without it.
    Then again, Oxbridge for some offers what they seek and know people there who are perfectly content.

Furthermore of one of the places Jomery mentioned as respectable I am personally familiar with someone at the very very top who does not hold an Oxbridge degree.

Basically, you definitely want a place that can offer you something of a good academic standard but you want the surroundings to be comforting and welcoming.
    Yes, Sheffield has a lot of lacks and my personality fits the City lifestyle a lot more, but for uni I seriously couldn't wish for any better where opportunities to go out are rife and quite diverse, yet where you live in student surroundings meaning that you're constantly reminded why you're actually there. Basically a good balance I'd say.
  • Options

Wow. You really do know about half of fuck all don't you?

I think a large number of very successful and rich people would disagree with what you've said there.
  • Options
    Don't link to your LiveJournal, MySpace and Facebook profiles with every personal detail in them to the whole world wide web, and then complain you're being "stalked" when it takes 2 clicks to see what your bf's "lovely city job" really is.
    I'd quite like to know how you've managed to get to the contents of my LiveJournal, Jomery, because unless you know something I don't, you shouldn't be able to even read it.

And clearly it doesn't take two clicks to see what his job really is since YOU GOT IT VERY WRONG.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Wow. You really do know about half of fuck all don't you?

I think a large number of very successful and rich people would disagree with what you've said there.
    :yes:.

You should try saying that to my dad, Jomery. See what he says, yeah?
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I'd quite like to know how you've managed to get to the contents of my LiveJournal, Jomery, because unless you know something I don't, you shouldn't be able to even read it.

And clearly it doesn't take two clicks to see what his job really is since YOU GOT IT VERY WRONG.
    I only clicked fb. It says he's an Administrator at a retail bank, which is what I said he did. Calm down petal.