Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which uni...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jomery wrote: »
    In 20 years will be running the country (look at how many MPs have Oxbridge degrees).

Yes because Joe Public are going to vote for you aren't they? I mean you such a likable chap, who wouldn't want you running the country. :lol:

You cant even win round random strangers on a message board, let alone win a public majority.

God bless democracy :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Errm, no they're not, which is why I love the elitist British education system. At school I didn't have to put up with any crap from unambitious chavs slowing us down. And now at uni, as you say because richer people get better results, I was surrounded by the cream of the crop and had to deal with very little riff-raff who I was able to easily disassociate with, and now we are in the City, and in 20 years will be running the country

and as we can see from your posts, you have fuck all social skills to show for it!
  • Options

I like the Grammar Schools concept where hard-working poor people don't have to put up with others slowing them down, but don't you have public schools? What about people who don't want their children having to associate with the lower classes?

Even at grammar schools and public schools you get the same issues of those who don't want to work disrupting a class.

I'm sorry the whole "Oh you can't associate with them cos they're lower class" attitude p*sses me right off. What makes those people any lesser people to be associated with. You get just as many nice people who are intelligent and caring in the lower classes as you do in the upper classes, if not more genuine people in those classes.
  • Options
    No not really but there we go. Employers are not really as stupid as you make them out to be. For example, if you did Russian at Bristol, which I did, or AeroEng at Southampton, Economics at LSE etc., then that means that you got into the best University for your chosen subject and thus beat, assuming the best people chose the universities where their course is the best, the cream of the competition. In short, if the course at your university was the best rated, then the name of the university doesn't matter because employers are smarter than I think you make them out to be and realise that if you studied at the best institution for your given subject then that makes you a lot more valuable than a person who studied at a more prestiguous institution though the course there was actually worse rated.
    Do you honestly think graduate recruiters know league tables for every single course and take this into consideration, discounting a uni's overall prestige? Sure of course they'll know some unis are particularly strong for department x/y but overall your argument is completely nullified when there's more people with an Oxbridge classics degree getting into Investment Banking than any banking/finance/economics people from Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham etc, a better chance of becoming an accountant with an Oxford English degree than a Glasgow accountancy degree etc.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    and as we can see from your posts, you have fuck all social skills to show for it!

Could this be why he can't find a girl that's willing to shag him?

If that's the trade off, you can stick the top jobs up your arse.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Yes because Joe Public are going to vote for you aren't they? I mean you such a likable chap, who wouldn't want you running the country. :lol:

You cant even win round random strangers on a message board, let alone win a public majority.

God bless democracy :D
    Funny that, look at all the Etonian toffs on the shadow cabinet (and most likely forming the next government).
  • Options

A university graduate going out with someone still at school..I got ripped to shreds for that on this site a few months ago.

No you didn't...you got ripped to shreads for stringing a 16 year old along that you had absolutely no respect for and were slagging off, but using her as a trophy to prove you could pull someone.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    I'm sorry the whole "Oh you can't associate with them cos they're lower class" attitude p*sses me right off. What makes those people any lesser people to be associated with. You get just as many nice people who are intelligent and caring in the lower classes as you do in the upper classes, if not more genuine people in those classes.
    Sure they're nice, intelligent people. But I'd be so ashamed to be associated with them, no fashion style, elegance and sophistication, they'd never get into the exclusive parties/clubs I attend.
  • Options
    Do you honestly think graduate recruiters know league tables for every single course and take this into consideration, discounting a uni's overall prestige? Sure of course they'll know some unis are particularly strong for department x/y but overall your argument is completely nullified when there's more people with an Oxbridge classics degree getting into Investment Banking than any banking/finance/economics people from Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham etc, a better chance of becoming an accountant with an Oxford English degree than a Glasgow accountancy degree etc.

I'm struggling with these sweeping statements as you're yet to provide any evidence for these massive generalisations and thus I can't take you remotely seriously. Find me some evidence and maybe I'll listen to you.
  • Options
    but overall your argument is completely nullified when there's more people with an Oxbridge classics degree getting into Investment Banking than any banking/finance/economics people from Southampton, Loughborough, Birmingham etc, a better chance of becoming an accountant with an Oxford English degree than a Glasgow accountancy degree etc.

surely you were told at Oxbridge to reference...so come on, back this up with some proper truth!
  • Options
    In person I'm dynamic, energetic, fun to be with, make people laugh, and very instantly likeable. I find it much harder to come across well on the internet, where my darker side is revealed. :naughty:
  • Options
    Sure they're nice, intelligent people. But I'd be so ashamed to be associated with them, no fashion style, elegance and sophistication, they'd never get into the exclusive parties/clubs I attend.

Again, there are many of them with far more of those things than members of the upper class. Yes they don't have the money to buy designer clothes, but you can be just as fashionable, stylish and elegant without them as well. The word shallow comes to mind about you again.
  • Options
    Funny that, look at all the Etonian toffs on the shadow cabinet (and most likely forming the next government).

Yes but they have social skills, and can appeal to other people than just toffs.

You have NO social skills and CANT hide the fact your only interested in yourself.

You do realise you going to have to knock on peoples doors for their vote (**shock horror**) you may have to visit a council estate, maybe even speak with an ugly person.

:D
  • Options
    In person I'm dynamic, energetic, fun to be with, make people laugh, and very instantly likeable. I find it much harder to come across well on the internet, where my darker side is revealed. :naughty:

You know what...I'd love to meet you just to see that because I really can't see you being anything but arrogant, shallow, rude and completely self absorbed in person either.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    maybe even speak with an ugly person.

Especially if he's ever going to get a shag :D
  • Options
    Errm, no they're not, which is why I love the elitist British education system. At school I didn't have to put up with any crap from unambitious chavs slowing us down.

Under the grammar school system, the poor who are bright get to go to a good school. I certainly wouldn't call someone from a poor background who is clever, an 'unamitious chav'. At my school there were people from all walks of life. The only thing that was the same about us was that we were smart enough to get into a good school, as opposed to being rich enough to get into a good school like you were.

And now at uni, as you say because richer people get better results, I was surrounded by the cream of the crop and had to deal with very little riff-raff who I was able to easily disassociate with, and now we are in the City, and in 20 years will be running the country (look at how many MPs have Oxbridge degrees).

Rich people only get better results because they went to better schools. I have a good friend who goes to Cambridge now. She's from a humble farming background. If she was English, no doubt she would have ended up in a state school, wouldn't have received the education she has done in Northern Ireland, and wouldn't have got to go to Cambridge. Do you also think she's riff-raff, just because her daddy didn't fund her education, and she actually got there through being smart? As for MPs, well isn't the most powerful man in the country, our new Prime minister, a graduate of Edinburgh University. I'm just using that as an example of how you don't HAVE to be Oxbridge to become powerful in this country.

Yes we are the cream of the crop thank you - look which grads get the most competitive jobs at McKinsey, Goldman Sachs, Bain, Clifford Chance etc - largely public school people, very few hard-working poor people who wouldn't be able to interact so well with clients.

Again, the only reason this happens is because of your biased education system favouring the rich public school boys. A grammar school educated student, from any background, could easily develop the skills neccessary. It's just in England, people from all backgrounds don't get that chance, do they?

I like the Grammar Schools concept where hard-working poor people don't have to put up with others slowing them down, but don't you have public schools? What about people who don't want their children having to associate with the lower classes?

I don't know, I suppose we're not really like that in Ireland. I find it tragic that a parent would even contemplate not allowing their children to associate with lower classes. Maybe that's what went wrong with you Jomery? Did your parents dissuade you from associating with people of a lower socio-economic background?
  • Options
    I'm struggling with these sweeping statements as you're yet to provide any evidence for these massive generalisations and thus I can't take you remotely seriously. Find me some evidence and maybe I'll listen to you.
    OK, well I know literally hundreds of people in the City over the last few years, and met Oxbridge grads from all sorts of degrees - Music, Philosophy, Geography, doing jobs entirely irrelevant to their career path, and they frequently say how Oxbridge (and other good unis like LSE) dominate the grad classes, there's very few from lower unis doing more relevant courses. OK that's anecdotal but don't know how to send you a list of profiles without data confidentiality issues.. maybe go to the careers section of websites of top firms - gs.com/careers, mckinsey.com/careers, bcg.com/careers etc and look at Profiles / "Meet our People" etc - out of the British grads you'll see all sorts of degree backgrounds but good unis. This is from a banking careers article I just Googled:
    There's almost 120 universities in Britain now, but with reputation, standards and workload greatly contrasting across the spectrum of institutions, IB recruiters select almost exclusively from the top 20 institutions for the front-office positions (for the Operations and Technology divisions, you have a chance from a top 40 university).

Several national newspapers produce university league tables which are rather subjective, but the most definitive is The Sunday Times University Guide. Quite simply, the better the institution, the better your prospects are (all else considered equal), resulting in a significant proportion of graduates at the top investment banks coming just from Oxbridge and the top London institutions (LSE, UCL and Imperial).
  • Options
    Just because you supposedly go to the best uni in the UK< doesn't mean they offer the best courses in every subject, does it?
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    At my school there were people from all walks of life. The only thing that was the same about us was that we were smart enough to get into a good school, as opposed to being rich enough to get into a good school like you were.
    An educational experience is more than just an academic one, it's about class too, and the fact I was only with people from the upper echelons is going to be useful for my career and future.
    As for MPs, well isn't the most powerful man in the country, our new Prime minister, a graduate of Edinburgh University. I'm just using that as an example of how you don't HAVE to be Oxbridge to become powerful in this country.
    Isn't he the first PM out of those with a university degree to have not attained it from Oxbridge? The fact it's so anomalous is why they keep harping on about the fact he went to Edinburgh. Bit of a special case he is too, didn't he start uni at 16?
    It's just in England, people from all backgrounds don't get that chance, do they?
    No they don't. But I like keeping the upper echelons exclusive and hard to penetrate.
    Did your parents dissuade you from associating with people of a lower socio-economic background?
    Yep. I wasn't ever allowed to watch Eastenders, Neighbours etc cos my dad says that's for working class people.
  • Options
    OK, well I know literally hundreds of people in the City over the last few years, and met Oxbridge grads from all sorts of degrees - Music, Philosophy, Geography, doing jobs entirely irrelevant to their career path, and they frequently say how Oxbridge (and other good unis like LSE) dominate the grad classes, there's very few from lower unis doing more relevant courses. OK that's anecdotal but don't know how to send you a list of profiles without data confidentiality issues.. maybe go to the careers section of websites of top firms - gs.com/careers, mckinsey.com/careers, bcg.com/careers etc and look at Profiles / "Meet our People" etc - out of the British grads you'll see all sorts of degree backgrounds but good unis. This is from a banking careers article I just Googled:

Oh you know people. Well forgive me, I retract everything... As you yourself said, it's purely anecdotal and thus you could, for all I know, be making it all up. Thus it means absolutely nothing. A friend of mine went to the moon last summer. Twice. Another spent a nice Easter in Atlantis.

As I stated earlier, Magic Circle law firms and IBs have a culture of Oxbridge elitism and nepotism that is sadly still rife. Thus perhaps what you say may have a shred of truth inasmuch as your chances are enhanced by which university you went to whilst having less to do with actual ability. A friend of mine going off to work for Goldman told me as much a few weeks ago. But what about the vast majority of people who don't want to do IB or Law?
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    exactly and the majority of independant students dont care about how much people earn either cause at the end of the day we're only human too
    At Cambridge I met the brigade from other top schools - Eton, Winchester, Westminster, St Pauls, Marlborough etc. We stuck together. Can barely think of anyone who mixed much with the state comprehensive kids, who just have a different outlook/attitude when it comes to the finer things in life. Ascot on the weekend for example, was just public school people, state schoolers don't appreciate that stuff, in fact they mock it.
  • Options
    But what about the vast majority of people who don't want to do IB or Law?
    Not as 'vast' as you may think - investment banking is the most popular choice in the country, with 20% wanting to do it - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/5273726.stm

Like I said before, even other lesser careers like accountancy the university matters much more than the degree. OK so you don't believe my anecdotal evidence - type PricewaterhouseCoopers into Facebook and scroll through the people who work there looking at their uni and degree - you'll see a lot more Oxbridge students who did an irrelevant art than Accountancy grads from a 2nd rate uni.
  • Options
    At Cambridge I met the brigade from other top schools - Eton, Winchester, Westminster, St Pauls, Marlborough etc. We stuck together. Can barely think of anyone who mixed much with the state comprehensive kids, who just have a different outlook/attitude when it comes to the finer things in life. Ascot on the weekend for example, was just public school people, state schoolers don't appreciate that stuff, in fact they mock it.

:eek: Are you trying to upset the majority of people here? There is no need for such sweeping generalisations.
  • Options
    An educational experience is more than just an academic one, it's about class too, and the fact I was only with people from the upper echelons is going to be useful for my career and future.

And on the flipside, the fact that at my grammar school I was with people from all echelons of life, including the upper classes, middle classes and lower classes, I've got a vast array of social experience, and could use that much more to my advantage than someone who's solely mixed with upper classes. Surely that's obvious.

Isn't he the first PM out of those with a university degree to have not attained it from Oxbridge? The fact it's so anomalous is why they keep harping on about the fact he went to Edinburgh. Bit of a special case he is too, didn't he start uni at 16?

Not sure, but still, he's not an Oxbridge graduate and he's leader of the country, hurrah!

No they don't. But I like keeping the upper echelons exclusive and hard to penetrate.

Why? What's wrong with someone from a humble background who is bright, witty, sociable, such as the friend I was telling you about?

Yep. I wasn't ever allowed to watch Eastenders, Neighbours etc cos my dad says that's for working class people.

Your parents are no doubt a major cause of your social difficulties. What a shame.
  • Options
    Kazbo wrote: »
    :eek: Are you trying to upset the majority of people here? There is no need for such sweeping generalisations.

hmm, I shall make one too. All those called Jomery are arrogant tossers...hows about that? Not as offensive as the other sweeping statement I am sure!

Jomery, what degree did you do?
  • Options
    hmm, I shall make one too. All those called Jomery are arrogant tossers...hows about that?

I'll 2nd that. :D
  • Options
    Jomery, what degree did you do?
    Anglo-Saxon, Norse and Celtic Tripos (http://www.asnc.cam.ac.uk). And perhaps the most employable person here for a vast range of professions (not just IB and Law, neither of which I work in). Proves my point.
  • Options
    Link doesn't work. How did you reach the conclusion that you're 'prehaps the most employable person on here for a vsat range of professions'?
  • Options

Well if you only hang out with people like that, then it's little wonder you've turned out how you have. Lord knows, I spent 5 years hanging out with Wykehamists and I wouldn't want to do it again. What a sheltered little life you must lead.
  • Options
    Why? What's wrong with someone from a humble background who is bright, witty, sociable, such as the friend I was telling you about?
    Nothing at all. But they just wouldn't fit in at Ascot, Boujis VIP rooms and Tatler magazine, would they? There's some things intellect can't buy.