Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Which uni...?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Jomery wrote: »
    Yes. Was well worth it, most solicitors are inept cretins.

Not the ones I know but there we go.
    I don't know where you work, but where I am that just doesn't happen. When they come and clean our bins they are entirely ignored, we get on with our work and they get on with theirs. They don't like us and we don't like them.

Everywhere I have ever worked we've been chatty with our cleaners. They're polite with us, we're polite with them it makes for a nice environment for everyone to get on with their work in. It's just rudeness on anyones part not to do that. Everyone is human no matter what their class and deserves respect and civility from others around them. Just remember what chaos you'd be in without those people.
  • Options
    Jomery, would you honestly claim that none of your colleagues has ever attempted to pull the fit girl behind the bar at one of your usual hangouts even though she most probably does not has the same background as any of you?
    No offence, but the most exclusive of places pride themselves in having good looking staff and I refuse to believe that your social circle would turn the blind eye, when if anyone its the City boys who have a playboy image to live up to.
  • Options
    To the OP,

As someone has already mentioned, visiting open days at the Universities is a good idea. It is also usually possible to arrange a visit by contacting the the University. You could also visit the Universities anyway just to get a general feel of the area and atmosphere. In terms of academic judgements, league tables will give you a general idea and you should also take a look at the departmental website of the courses that you are applying to. You may find that you prefer the look of the course at one of the choices more than the other.

You should also try this website http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ as you will be able to contact people who have studied first hand at the Universities you mentioned.

Good luck with your decision :)
  • Options
    I made the mistake of going to a Unviersity I knew all my mates were going to. This entailed becoming a permanent 'clique' and not making too many external friends of our own. The course was shit too.

You must choose what course you want and at the right Uni for you. Open days and school arranged University trips are the best for experiencing these places, and remember don't worry about what your mates are doing because you will defo make new ones for yourself.
  • Options
    I don't know much about English unis (being Scottish) But Glasgow University is one of the best (Since I go too). It's so multicultural, the campus is beautiful and most important, we're not Edinburgh :D

But really, pick the university which is going to provide you with the best course and not one your friends are going to. If I had done that, I'd be at Edinburgh and not have found the love of my life.
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote: »
    Jomery, would you honestly claim that none of your colleagues has ever attempted to pull the fit girl behind the bar at one of your usual hangouts even though she most probably does not has the same background as any of you?
    No offence, but the most exclusive of places pride themselves in having good looking staff and I refuse to believe that your social circle would turn the blind eye, when if anyone its the City boys who have a playboy image to live up to.
    Fit girls at these exclusive clubs are barely working class are they? Often students at London unis, rich girls from South Ken etc. I love them all.
  • Options
    Fit girls at these exclusive clubs are barely working class are they? Often students at London unis, rich girls from South Ken etc. I love them all.

I'm sure they really love you too jomey :)

Why would anyone rich from South Kensington work in a bar job? Not disputing that anyone does.

I worked on a bar all through and before uni because I needed the money and the hours fitted around my studies.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Why would anyone rich from South Kensington work in a bar job? Not disputing that anyone does.
    When I get bottle service in VIP rooms of exclusive clubs I start chatting to the person serving me. A lot fit the profile of rich South Ken girls. They don't care about money/their career so are there to have a good time at nice clubs and it gives them an opportunity to meet/network with people who are good to know, potential husbands and all that.
  • Options
    ?4D,|omery;2010288]When I get bottle service in VIP rooms of exclusive clubs I start chatting to the person serving me. A lot fit the profile of rich South Ken girls. They don't care about money/their career so are there to have a good time at nice clubs and it gives them an opportunity to meet/network with people who are good to know, potential husbands and all that.[/QUOTE]

Sound like great girls (gold diggers)

You don't generally have a nice time working on a bar, especially serving drunken rich tosspots. Although you make it look as though you love it.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    You don't generally have a nice time working on a bar, especially serving drunken rich tosspots. Although you make it look as though you love it.

:yes:

I left my job after one too many drunken fund managers ran their hand up my leg. I was NOT getting paid enough to put up with that.
  • Options
    When I get bottle service in VIP rooms of exclusive clubs I start chatting to the person serving me. A lot fit the profile of rich South Ken girls. They don't care about money/their career so are there to have a good time at nice clubs and it gives them an opportunity to meet/network with people who are good to know, potential husbands and all that.

Yea, sure they are. Which is why you've had shedloads of success with them thus far. Let's face, they're there to look pretty, do their job, and most importantly, take your money. That is all. You're just the mug who falls into their little trap by actually believing they give two fucks about you.
  • Options
    Birmingham's got a way better reputation than Sussex, so falling that grade behind was the best thing you've ever done :thumb:

funny, thats what my brother said...
  • Options

No offence, but the only rich people I know doing bar jobs are the ones cut off from their parents money. H
    ighly doubt that more than a handful of the girls behind the exclusive bars fit the profile you're talking about.
    And lets be honest, its not having a good time having to pretend you're interested in what the costumer says. If they truly fit the profile you're talking about then they would be written on the guest list and mingle their way around the hot shots without having to stand on their feet all night serving people.
  • Options
    The sad thing is that Jomery will be a laughing stock in his office. All these fit birds right in his social class, and he can't fuck any of them. What's the platinum credit card for if you're not going to use it to get in a girl's pants?

:lol:
  • Options
    HansGruber wrote: »
    You must choose what course you want and at the right Uni for you. .

:yes:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    The sad thing is that Jomery will be a laughing stock in his office. All these fit birds right in his social class, and he can't fuck any of them. What's the platinum credit card for if you're not going to use it to get in a girl's pants?

:lol:

Very true. You can keep your concierge and high-flying job. At least people like us can get laid.

Anyway, time to stop pandering to Jomery's ego perhaps and cease asking him how many 'working class' people he interacts with on a daily basis. Like I said earlier, I spend so long trying to convince people that not all public schoolboys are arrogant tosspots and one person blows it all away. Tsk.
  • Options
    I don't think you can give one look at a person and label them with a class. I'm 'working class' but I'm certainly not what you'd expect of a working class family or the sterotype. I can mix perfectly fine with the 'middle' class and 'working' class kids at school. I really don't see the difference.
    I'd like to know why Jomery has such a strong vendetta against the working class. If there were no working class then no one would be driving your taxis, cleaning your office, fixing your plumbing, sorting your heating and electricity, fixing cars, transporting goods etc. As he never wants to go near such filth, I'd like to know how he think's he qualified to pass such judgement.
  • Options
    I think maybe we should stop focusing on Jomery and start focusing on what this thread was started for.
  • Options
    I've just read through this thread and oh dear god, Jomery, you need a reality check.

All you've done in this thread is insult people. So what if Franki's boyfriend works for a bank? He has a good job which pays well which he worked hard to get. He's happy and he is in a happy relationship. You on the other hand, are miserable it seems as you just go on and on in the other threads about how you've never had sex and how no girl goes near you and how you kissed an ugly teenager! Why insult someone you don't even know? Its uncalled for.

You seem to look down on anyone who isn't a Oxbridge student who has a 1st or anyone who isn't on a six figure salary. It really doesn't surprise me that you have never had sex. I know for a fact I wouldn't go near you with a barge pole. Are you actually surprised no girl has gone near you? Your attitude and personality sucks.

And I'm sorry, I had to work fucking hard for my degree and I didn't go a red brick uni. I treated my course like a full time job whilst studying for my Law degree. You can't really say that Cambridge students have to work harder because it completely depends on the person and anyway, I've been told the standards required for Law degrees is pretty much the same across all Universities (for entrance to the LPC/BVC).

And whats with that AV anyway?! :yuck:
  • Options
    All you've done in this thread is insult people. So what if Franki's boyfriend works for a bank? He has a good job which pays well which he worked hard to get. He's happy and he is in a happy relationship. You on the other hand, are miserable it seems as you just go on and on in the other threads about how you've never had sex and how no girl goes near you and how you kissed an ugly teenager! Why insult someone you don't even know? Its uncalled for.
    That was in response/defence to someone accusing me of being "jealous". Errm, no.
    And I'm sorry, I had to work fucking hard for my degree and I didn't go a red brick uni. I treated my course like a full time job whilst studying for my Law degree. You can't really say that Cambridge students have to work harder because it completely depends on the person and anyway, I've been told the standards required for Law degrees is pretty much the same across all Universities (for entrance to the LPC/BVC).
    Well that's just bollocks, look at the course content and requirements to get a 1st or 2.1 in Ox/Cam Law vs other unis. You don't do 2 essays a week every week throughout term at most unis. At Oxbridge everyone has AAA at A-Level, at other unis people have average DDE, and get a 1st, don't tell me they'd have got a 1st if they'd done the Oxbridge course, they wouldn't have been able to hack it. If standards were the same at all unis then you wouldn't see magic circle firms having such an Oxbridge bias.
    And whats with that AV anyway?! :yuck:
    Different strokes for different folks, could say the same about yours.
  • Options
    All you've done in this thread is insult people.
    Why insult someone you don't even know? Its uncalled for.
    followed by:
    It really doesn't surprise me that you have never had sex. I know for a fact I wouldn't go near you with a barge pole. Are you actually surprised no girl has gone near you? Your attitude and personality sucks.
    Nice.
  • Options
    Aww, I know!!!!! Aren't I a hypocrite?! :D

I didn't need DDE to get into my course. I needed BBB. Maybe that makes me thick because I didn't get AAA?

And no, my course didn't expect me to do 2 essays a week but they did require me to do alot of essays compared to most courses at my uni and also, I had 5 assessed seminars a fortnight which each took a long time to prepare for. They were worth 25% of our course and we were basically assessed on everything we said 5 times a fortnight. They were strict with the marking and it was like being in an exam. I would have preferred two essays a week over those seminars any day.
  • Options
    Aww, I know!!!!! Aren't I a hypocrite?! :D

I didn't need DDE to get into my course. I needed BBB. Maybe that makes me thick because I didn't get AAA?

And no, my course didn't expect me to do 2 essays a week but they did require me to do alot of essays compared to most courses at my uni and also, I had 5 assessed seminars a fortnight which each took a long time to prepare for. They were worth 25% of our course and we were basically assessed on everything we said 5 times a fortnight. They were strict with the marking and it was like being in an exam. I would have preferred two essays a week over those seminars any day.
    Errm, and if you'd gone to a lower-ranked uni you'd have had a lesser workload..
  • Options
    Errm, and if you'd gone to a lower-ranked uni you'd have had a lesser workload..

I didn't really go to a high ranked uni though?

Like I said, the standards are pretty much the same across the country for Law. They have to be for the entrance requirements for the LPC course and BVC course and I was told that the marking is regulated by the Law Society. Whether or not thats bull shit, I don't know. Its just what I was told.
  • Options
    I didn't really go to a high ranked uni though?

Like I said, the standards are pretty much the same across the country for Law. They have to be for the entrance requirements for the LPC course and BVC course and I was told that the marking is regulated by the Law Society. Whether or not thats bull shit, I don't know. Its just what I was told.
    You got BBB so I assumed you went somewhere OK.. as for the LPC, the fact that Oxbridge students whine about how easy it is whilst people from Wolverhampton, Teeside etc I've met say it's really hard and they've never had so much work to do is pretty compelling evidence that standards aren't exactly the same. They just can't be when people are of differing abilities at different unis - Oxbridge people with their straight As find the law degree there challenging, do you honestly think people with Cs and Ds at A-Level would be able to manage it?
  • Options
    You got BBB so I assumed you went somewhere OK.. as for the LPC, the fact that Oxbridge students whine about how easy it is whilst people from Wolverhampton, Teeside etc I've met say it's really hard and they've never had so much work to do is pretty compelling evidence that standards aren't exactly the same. They just can't be when people are of differing abilities at different unis - Oxbridge people with their straight As find the law degree there challenging, do you honestly think people with Cs and Ds at A-Level would be able to manage it?

Yes, I do.

There are many things that contribute to someone's grades and I don't really think that you can judge a person's academic ability by their A Level results. I did better at my A Levels than I did my GCSEs for example even though they were harder?
  • Options
    You got BBB so I assumed you went somewhere OK..

Oh, and I did go somewhere "ok" thank you very much. Just because it aint in the top 10, that doesn't mean its a shit University.
  • Options
    Yes, I do.

There are many things that contribute to someone's grades and I don't really think that you can judge a person's academic ability by their A Level results. I did better at my A Levels than I did my GCSEs for example even though they were harder?
    Obviously A-Levels are not the only measure of intellectual ability when it comes to uni but if you think people with CDD could manage the Oxbridge Law course just as well as people with AAA then you are absolutely barking mad.
  • Options
    Obviously A-Levels are not the only measure of intellectual ability when it comes to uni but if you think people with CDD could manage the Oxbridge Law course just as well as people with AAA then you are absolutely barking mad.

I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is that you can't always judge someone on their A Level grades.

For example, my ex got straight A*s/As at GCSE and was predicted straight As at A Level but due to personal problems, he only ended up getting ABBC or something like that despite clearly being capable of straight As. Luckily, his University (York Uni may I add so you can't really diss it) were understanding and still let him on the course despite not getting the grades they required.
  • Options
    To be honest I do find it a bit naive to assume that Oxbridge provides the same education as other unis.
    Yes, some unis have managed to gain prominence regarding certain fields, yet overall the oxbridge institutions still do their best to uphold their world renowned reputation.

To a certain extent Jomery is right, the name of your institution can carry you a long way. That is not to say it is the be all and end all here in life. And I definitely disagree with his attitude which does not represent class in any way shape or form whatsoever.