Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you miss school?
I do a bit now, not 6th form but normal school .. especially as i have a job now

What sort of school did u go to ? I went to a regular government funded uni-sex school but the head teacher is a right stuck up prick who invested all the money in posh business suites we never got to use ! and if you got caught smoking then you would get the same punishment as you would for having your tie untucked .. stupid !

I miss my group of friends at school in a way but i don't miss the bitchiness on a monday morning

Comments

• Options
    Pretty much the same- government funded inner city london unisex school with a huge idiot for a head teacher who instead of getting us textbooks for German and Science, decided a swipe machine system was smarter (so that the teachers didn't have to waste 10 mins a day to take the register). Didn't work...those things were gathering dust by year 8.

He did make us laugh though. His voice was still breaking at 54. Was great in assembly when he was doing announcements and it would go up about 4 octaves!

Miss the fact that you could really really laugh every day, and you could get a decent portion of chips for 45p but hate all those people now
  • Options
    I went to an all girls grammar school, I hated it and don't miss it at all, aside from a few funny moments with friends.

I was miserable at school and permanently bored and in trouble. It was mostly posh stuck up little madams who sobbed and wailed if they got a B grade instead of an A*
  • Options
    I went to a Catholic school, and someone between years 9 and 10 thought that it would be a good application of money to build a chapel (private money, but still, not computers or books, a chapel). That wasn't the worst thing though. They decided that the best place to put it would be the boys toilets. So they converted it, and they then split the girls in half, meaning we had a tiny set of toilets for the entire school to make way for some bullshit chapel. We never did get round to pissing in the holy water instead. So yeah, I'm still bitter about that.

I found school a bit dull I suppose. I liked all my friends, but the actual lessons were a bit crap. Best bits were sitting on the grass in the summer ("Yay, it's summer, we're allowed on the grass!!!!!!"), playing rugby on a waterlogged pitch, magnesium, and kissing games with the girls :naughty:. Worst bit was orienteering (like that's a real sport) in the freezing rain, in new football boots that rub your feet, and forgetting your kit and having to borrow some from the "dossy dustbin." I'm sure every school had one of these?
  • Options
    I miss the ease of being school aged and not having any responsibilities, but I hated the authority of it. I was never keen on rules so was usually in trouble for something or other. The people were crap too... either trendy, or geeks. Neither of which I was comfortable being, I was the odd one out and often picked on because of it! Nice.
  • Options
    i miss assembilies ... well kinda

once they made this girl sing and she sounded like a sheep that was quite funny

our dickhead headteacher would make us all stand out in the ''qaud'' for at least fifteen minutes whatever the weather every wednesday morning.

i miss science, maths and english lessons where i used to cause some mischeif. my science teacher loathed me and i would say one tiny little thing and it would be 'OUT!' .. english i did a speech on my local football club including chants where i banged on the white board swearing and got some mates to join in and the rest of the time i would play footsie with my boyfriend under the table ....... those were the days
  • Options
    School was fucking quality. I went to a normal unisex school, no ties and shirts though, our uniforms were smart shoes, smart trousers, a polo shirt and a jumper. All navy blue and with the school logo on.

I fucking hated school at the time but looking back now it was so fun. The abuse we gave dinner lady's, librarians and teachers... haha. We'd have competitions of who could get banned from the library the longest and then we locked our maths teacher out of the classroom. lol
  • Options
    The only thing I miss about school is the holidays.
  • Options
    I don't miss school, however i feel if i went back I'd be able to do whatever i want and that you'd stick up for yourself more, anyone else feel like that?

I went to a mixed grammar school, it was okay, the only thing i didn't like was that you felt they were pushing you to do well to maintain their reputation not to just want you to do genuinely well. It was all about how they looked and how we performed.

As for the college I'm at now the help they give is to make you reach your potential not to strengthen their reputation which i feel makes me want to work and do well for myself.
  • Options
    I don't miss mainstream school. I only miss not having responsibilities. I'm loving 6th form though.
    I went to a regular state school. My primary school was a voluntary controlled school though so was very much like a private school.
  • Options
    If I knew then, what I know now... I'd definitely be a different person. I'd have been an A Grade student, had decent friends and stood up for myself. But, wisdom comes with age... so we all have to go through the shittiness of school to learn who we are.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I fucking hated school at the time but looking back now it was so fun. The abuse we gave dinner lady's, librarians and teachers... haha. We'd have competitions of who could get banned from the library the longest and then we locked our maths teacher out of the classroom. lol

:lol: i used to LOVE it when we'd lock teachers out and they would get really upset .. bless ! We did it to our science teacher countless times (i was in the naughty set, wasn't very good at science)

we used to always try and make it look like people were knicking libary books by putting them in their bags so it would go off when they would go out and we'd all scream, THEIF !!

i got banned from the libary in year nine i think oops
  • Options
    Hated school. Hardly any of the teachers could teach - that included the supply teachers and the full time 'teachers'.

I went to a mixed school.
    forgetting your kit and having to borrow some from the "dossy dustbin." I'm sure every school had one of these?

We had that. And we had the stupid rule that if you couldn't do PE, you were still expected to run around with everyone else and brng your kit. They tried to make me do this even when I was under doctor's instructions NOT to do any sport. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    we used to always try and make it look like people were knicking libary books by putting them in their bags so it would go off when they would go out and we'd all scream, THEIF !!

i got banned from the libary in year nine i think oops

Haha yeah, totally done that.
    We made a dinner lady break down in tears and leave the school! lol We weren't that harsh, just used to mess around all the time and complain about sausages with bits of rice on them.
    Which reminds me of all the burgers and stuff we'd nick from the canteen, and actually yeah what was it with Science teachers?? All of mine hated me, but that just made it funny to piss them off. lol Good times.
  • Options
    If I knew then, what I know now... I'd definitely be a different person. I'd have been an A Grade student, had decent friends and stood up for myself. But, wisdom comes with age... so we all have to go through the shittiness of school to learn who we are.

Yeah i could have done a lot better than i did if i bothered to read the revision books and not stare at the wall instead.
  • Options
    I went to the oldest school in the country and one of the most prestigous public schools in the UK.

That said, I didn't enjoy it that much. The education, naturally, was first rate, and the music and sport were great but I was a year young when I went there and though intellectually I was mature enough, I don't think I was socially mature enough and thus didn't have a great time. Uni's been an absolute blast though.
  • Options
    The house parties we used to have were MAAAAD as well

and i remember the last day of school about 100 of us stampeeding through the corridors screaming and yelling and letting off stinkbombs
  • Options
    I went to a normal mixed sex school, and I definately do miss it because I miss the people. I had two best friends and the three of us were really close, and I'm still very close to both of them but one of them moved away when we left school and I miss him insanely :crying:

But yeah, school was fun. Not because it was school, but because everyone in my year was really nice and we all got on really well, which I don't think is that common in schools...

thats lucky !

at our school there was always a bit of tension between some groups but by year eleven most groups got along .. ish !
  • Options
    I went to the oldest school in the country and one of the most prestigous public schools in the UK.

That said, I didn't enjoy it that much. The education, naturally, was first rate, and the music and sport were great but I was a year young when I went there and though intellectually I was mature enough, I don't think I was socially mature enough and thus didn't have a great time. Uni's been an absolute blast though.

Which school was that, out of interest?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Hated school. Hardly any of the teachers could teach - that included the supply teachers and the full time 'teachers'.

I went to a mixed school.

We had that. And we had the stupid rule that if you couldn't do PE, you were still expected to run around with everyone else and brng your kit. They tried to make me do this even when I was under doctor's instructions NOT to do any sport. :rolleyes:

we had this rule that if you weren't doing p.e you had to bring your kit and get changed anyway to make it look like you're doing p.e incase inspectors came or something. How stupid.
  • Options
    Lol For our end of school assembly, we tried putting on a rave. :lol:
    My mate was DJ'ing and me and my other mate were MC'ing. Haha, it was shit though, because apart from our mates who were raving it up, everyone just sat there in silence...lol fuckers were waiting for some Indie band to do Busted covers instead.
  • Options
    My school was a Catholic all-boys grammar. Other than the work, lack of women and the teachers' being twats, I loved school. I suppose I was in the popular group so I never got bullied or anything, we got up to an awful lot of mischief and the craic was class so all in all, I thought school was brilliant.
  • Options
    I went to an all girls grammar. I don't miss school, I miss seeing my friends everyday.
  • Options
    Nope.

I love having the freedom to choose what to do with my life. I love being able to make my own mistakes or fortune.

I don't miss the annoying kids at school who would crave all the attention making things boring as hell for those who weren't as needy.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I was in a government-owned school.

I do miss it, although most of it is memories that aren't so nice... I miss the different feel that my life had back then, and I miss it because I'm thinking of so many things I could have done differently.
  • Options
    I miss the irresponsibility, the craic and general "who gives a shit" approach that I could have back then.

I don't miss stupid illogical rules, homework and exams...
  • Options
    i went to an all boys catholic grammar school and bar the rules it was pretty good.. 6th form was shit tho cuz you didn't have to be there, and most of the interesting people ended up leaving before 6th year

i spent most of my school days either stoned or abusing teachers, had some great craic :D
  • Options
    I hated school. I hated the fascist attitude towards clothing and individuality. I hated being made to do things that made no sense (and i haven't benefited from any of them since i left). I hated the fact that i was brighter than the majority of my teachers.

I went to an independently funded state school - the government didn't give it any money but it wasn't private either. This gave it misguided illusions of grandeur. It is also the most oversubscribed school in the country - which they rammed down our throats every time we dared step out of line.

My friends were top though :D
  • Options
    I hated school. I got a good education and i stayed for sixth form but i didn't like being in an all male school, mostly because i was small and picked on a hell of a lot. Also uniform was still compulsary in sixth form.

I've loved uni and i look forward to starting again somewhere new for my postgrad course next year.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Also uniform was still compulsary in sixth form.
    If that was the case at my 6th form, I would not have stayed on. That's so derogatory - you're 18 and have to wear school uniform!?

Our 16th form was non uniform even though it was a building in the school grounds.... we were quite lucky really, having our own dinner lady & kitchen in our building....
  • Options
    After about the age of 9 I hated school.