Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

School days

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Acrobat wrote: »
    Which school was that, out of interest?

Winchester College

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_College
  • Options
    I am sooo glad school is over! Don't miss it at all
  • Options
    I went to a private all girls day school - i kind of didn't like it but at the same time knew it was a good school.

I'm kind of glad there wern't any boys and most of the teaching was quite good - like they nearly always made us to degree papers for revision so when you got to the actual exams (GCSE and A-Level) they were well easy.

Plus most of my friends now are from school and browsing through facebook lots of people are still in their own little groups from school - I dunno if that was good or bad - i was in the Sad but don't care group in school because I wanted to be friends with nice people not all the bitches. Outside of school I was obviously friends with all the cool people ;p
  • Options
    Annual fees of at least £26,500?! :eek:
  • Options
    Annual fees of at least £26,500?! :eek:

To be fair, when I started there in '97, they were about half of that. Plus around half the members of the school are on some kind of financial support aswell as the people who hold scholarships. People are there more for their academic record and less for their financial means. If there is a very able candidate whose 'rents can't pay the fees, the school will offer large discounts. Quite charitable I guess.
  • Options
    People are there more for their academic record and less for their financial means. If there is a very able candidate whose 'rents can't pay the fees, the school will offer large discounts. Quite charitable I guess.

Well they wouldn't have a good reputation if it was filled with a bunch of thick rich kids. :p
  • Options
    If that was the case at my 6th form, I would not have stayed on. That's so derogatory - you're 18 and have to wear school uniform!?

Our 16th form was non uniform even though it was a building in the school grounds.... we were quite lucky really, having our own dinner lady & kitchen in our building....

No point not staying on for the sake of clothes. It was one of the top grammar schools in the country. At least i got to wear coloured shirts. :hyper:
  • Options
    Yeah, I loved the fact that you got to see your mates every day. I was really well behaved till I was about 15/16 (apart from crying any time the teacher gave me into trouble all through Primary School. But I didn't really pay attention cause I was quite bad for going off into daydreams and stuff.

Dunno if I miss it exactly, I more miss being 16 and getting free meals cooked for you and not having to pay rent/council tax and all that :grump:
  • Options
    yes
  • Options
    Well they wouldn't have a good reputation if it was filled with a bunch of thick rich kids. :p

Cos everyone knows they all go to Harrow and Charterhouse.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I was really well behaved till I was about 15/16

I was the opposite, I was a cunt till that age. Once I got into sixth form I settled down, mainly cos I was stoned half the time and I wanted to get my A-levels.

I had to wear uniform all the way up to 18 as well, not too bad, I don't think any schools here let people wear their normal clothes to school.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    we had this rule that if you weren't doing p.e you had to bring your kit and get changed anyway to make it look like you're doing p.e incase inspectors came or something. How stupid.

That's just crap.

I remember one time walking out of the changing rooms and down to the playing field. On the way (out of one of the doors) the head of PE stopped me and asked me where my kit was. I told him that I had a note, therefore wasn't going to be doing PE. He just stood there and shouted at me. (in front of everyone else as well)
  • Options
    i used to hate bringing notes to get out of p.e - i only did it a few times but i used to be having kittens before giving my note in because they used to insult you infront of everyone if they didn't think it was bad enough
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    No point not staying on for the sake of clothes. It was one of the top grammar schools in the country. At least i got to wear coloured shirts. :hyper:

Ha, I remember when one of my friends got to sixth form there and he was so excited about his coloured shirts.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    i used to hate bringing notes to get out of p.e - i only did it a few times but i used to be having kittens before giving my note in because they used to insult you infront of everyone if they didn't think it was bad enough

We never got that. Whilst we were getting changed, they'd walk around and have a word with anyone who didn't bring their kit. They stopped this in Year 9 and made anyone who didn't have their kit stand in front of the changing room and ask them to see their notes.

TBH, I think there was a bit of fabouritism - there are a set of twins I know who are disabled. When they didn't their kits in, the teachers basically 'oh ok, fine' but if we didn't bring ours in, we'd get shouted at and expected to do work out of a textbook or run around the gym like everyone else had to do if they had thier kit.
  • Options
    I hated school. Up til I went to secindary school it wasnt too bad, despite years of bullying. I then went to one of the (now) worst mixed-sex comprehensive in the county, (but it wasnt much better when I went). I manged to get pretty good GCSE's despite 30+ class sizes for some subjects. I stayed on for sixth form, mainly because some of the teachers I had where brillent, and most of the people I hated went elsewhere. The annoying thing about sixth form was the fact when kids got kicked out of lessons they would get put in with us for the rest of the lesson. We had five kids in a maths lesson once.
  • Options
    The annoying thing about sixth form was the fact when kids got kicked out of lessons they would get put in with us for the rest of the lesson. We had five kids in a maths lesson once.

We had this as well and it was really annoying because we'd sometimes be doing tests or revising and there would just be some kid that would come in and interupts everyone.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    We had this as well and it was really annoying because we'd sometimes be doing tests or revising and there would just be some kid that would come in and interupts everyone.

We used to take great delight in telling them shut the fuck up when the teachers where out of the class room. One of the teachers came very close to swearing at a couple of them one day. It was something along the lines of "You should at least respect those that want to learn rather then disrupting the Sixth formers *raises voice* so shut up"
  • Options
    I have good and bad memories of my school days, and to be honest I look it them as learning curves. I've learnt alot about myself that has made me a better person.
  • Options
    Not sure what kinda school i went to. Just a normal comp i guess, nearly all white middle class. Strict uniform - had to wear a tie and blazer etc. Hated the lessons, hated most of the people and hated being told what to do. Best bit was bunking off.
  • Options
    i just went to a normal state school, but it was a catholic school. i didn't enjoy it very much as when i first moved there we'd just moved into the area so i didn't know anyone and was quite quiet and became an easy target for bullies. having said that, i don't look back with much sadness - more haha fuckers, look at me now! :)

i loved primary school though.. well, all 3 of them! :)
  • Options
    I hated primary school. It was a very popular voluntary controlled church school that was like a private school, it was very small as was by a lake, river and a waterfall and some woods. Gorgeous school but the kids were so horrible including alot of the teachers and the headmaster, i was bullied most of the way through until my last year, which was the only year i actually enjoyed.
    Got to senior school and people didn't give me any trouble because of the town i'm from (has a rep for hard folk lol) and all of i sudden i was just able to stand up for myself. It was ok, i got on with most people and never really got any trouble apart from the odd twat. I was sexually harrassed once but that's about it.
  • Options
    I miss school i left two years ago and i wish i could go back and not have a care in the world :(
  • Options
    I don't miss school at all. Yeah sure, some of it was good times but in all honesty I'm having the time of my life at university. This for sure is the best time I've had so far.