Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any diet tips??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hi,

anyone been on a diet that works?
im looking to lose some weight before my wedding and ive got over a year to lose the weight. Im a size 14 and wanna get down to a 12. just wanna lose some weight on my thighs and tummy, arse. oh and get rid of the little double chin for photos!

im not sure where to start or what to eat!!

Comments

• Options
    Sounds like you've got a sensible and realistic target there.

I'd start with looking honestly at what sorts of foods, and how much of them you are eating now.

Most people deny their eating problems (although to be fair it doesn't sound like a food monster or anything!!!)

I know 18 months ago when i considered myself a little overweight, I couldn't understand why, i knew i perhaps ate a little more junk than i should have, but i didn't think it was enough to be the cause.

Having lost alot of weight looking back i was very overweight and my diet was awful, it was all the wrong foods, far too much of it, and not enough exercise.

Now i've realised that i can still eat the odd junk food or indulge every now and then, but realise that is what im doing so can adjust for it at other times or in other ways.

I really think that the hardest part is realising what it is your currently doing that is so bad.

Cutting down on foods, or replacing them with healthier alternatives is much easier IMO
  • Options
    Just remember that you can't spot reduce fat. You can lose weight healthily and steadily but you can't choose where it goes from. You can tone areas that need toning though, so maybe get a gym subscription and have a chat with one of the trainers there for a realistic, tailored routine.
  • Options
    I never follow strict diest to lose weight. 3 healthy meals a day and some couple of healthy snacks - say ryvita and cottage cheese etc.
    I will still have chips say once a week, a fry up once a week. a coupel of choc bars once or twice a week but I'll have grilled chicken/fish with herbs and spices, rice with lots of veg or salad etc the rest of the time.
    Always works for me. Never deprive yourself as you want it more.
    Try to walk everywhere too, take the dog out for extra walks, go for walks round town shopping etc.
  • Options
    Chewing every bite 20 times is supposed to help you loose weight as well.

Forcing yourself to eat slower - so your tummy has the time it need to tell your brain it's full.
  • Options
    well i each 3 good meals a day and no snacks really if i do have a snack i have a yoghurt.
    but i dont excercise and cant afford a gym memebership. I might get a bike.
    only things i have a weekness for is chocolate and fast food, takeaway. i would say we have takeaway 2 times a month.
  • Options
    don't diet! thats the best thing...

i've stopped dieting and started to lose weight. also it's really good to prepare your food and then sit down and eat without tv, that helps you focus on what you are eating.

personally, i've found thst upping my activity levels has been much better...

eat lots of fruit and veg as well...
  • Options
    well i each 3 good meals a day and no snacks really if i do have a snack i have a yoghurt.
    but i dont excercise and cant afford a gym memebership. I might get a bike.
    only things i have a weekness for is chocolate and fast food, takeaway. i would say we have takeaway 2 times a month.

Personally (however everybody will have different opinions on this, it's a case of finding something you are comfortable with)

I'd just tweak it, I don't know your height or weight, and won't ask, but size 14 isn't going to leave you with an awful figure! In fact (while i appreciate its a general indicator!) chances are you've got a great figure

I'd keep with the take aways but just be conscious of what you order, instead of say Special Fried Rice, Crispy Shredded Beef, Sweet and Sour Chicken (ok, a very fatty take away there! But I love it :thumb: ) You could go for Boiled rice, Chicken and Mixed Vegatables instead.

Have a look at the chocolate you eat, A plain dark chocolate bar isn't as bad as a Mars / Snickers kinda bar... No need to deprive yourself, just drop the odd bar from your monthly total and make a more sensible choice on the ones you go for.

Swapping a can of fizzy drink for a couple of glasses for water is a good little change too, it'll improve your skin too.

And definantly just up the exercise a little, everything helps so if you can't afford the gym or anything, and don't feel comfortable going straight into jogging for half an hour yet then perhaps a brisk 15/20 minute walk in the morning or in the late afternoon?
  • Options
    i dont mind saying my height and weight im 5 foot 7 and weight around 10 stone 10. i think i havnt actually been on the scales for a while but i think im around 11 stone max.

yeah i heard water is good and i should really drink more water. thanks for the comment about my figure,:blush:
  • Options
    Maybe you could try and learn how to cook some of the kind of things you would get from a takeaway? I reckon itd be healther to cook it yourself and much much cheaper!
  • Options
    i dont mind saying my height and weight im 5 foot 7 and weight around 10 stone 10. i think i havnt actually been on the scales for a while but i think im around 11 stone max.

yeah i heard water is good and i should really drink more water. thanks for the comment about my figure,:blush:

Well if you are 11st then your BMI is 24.12, if you're 10st10 you're 23.49

From NHS Direct website:
    "If your BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 you're an ideal weight for your height. To maintain this, make sure you have a healthy, well-balanced diet and keep active with regular exercise. This will lower your chances of developing heart disease, diabetes and other health problems, and help keep you feeling good. Even if your weight is ideal, you need to keep an eye on your waist size. People who are 'apple-shaped' rather than 'pear-shaped' are more at risk from health problems.
    Top TipTry to get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. To improve your health further, stop smoking, cut down on salt and high-fat foods and limit your alcohol intake."

Again the Body Mass Index is just a rough guide, but unless your seriously toned or muscular it gives a pretty good idea.

So from that I really wouldn't get hung up on it (Which, it honestly doesn't sound like you are) Just make a little time for yourself to find something you enjoy that'll get your heart going a little ;) and cut out any obvious bad points to your diet (perhaps that friday morning bacon cob) and swap it with a couple of wholegrain pitta breads packed with Lettece, Tomato, Cucumber, Onion, Pepper and some grilled chicken/turkey breast :thumb: Love em, takes 2 minutes to do and very tasty
  • Options
    I agree with the walking thing, walk at a moderate to fast pace for 45mins everyday if you can. Try drinking a glass of water and eating an apple or something 20mins before your meal, and if you are hungry at non meal time to check you weren't just thirsty. If you carry a big water bottle around with you, it will help you to drink the amount you need.
  • Options
    I'm with you in that I just love fast food, and all the unhealthy stuff. I'm not sure your eating habbits and I"m just assuming, but I found the easiest thing to do was substitute food. At fast food places get the salad or fruit instead of the fries, at resturants get the seasonal veggis with no butter instead of the other sides they give. I've grown to love brocolli with lemon squeezed over it, not matter how weird it sounds :p Ask for things without cheese and especially without mayo and just things like that.

It was very sad at first seeing all the yummy fat sitting there begging me to eat it, but I lost just a bit over 10lbs now and that was the major change I made, and have kept it off. (Also, like you, I only wanted to lose about one size) And on top of all that I actually enjoy alot of healthier foods more than I used to :p

I found your post very refreshing. A realistic amount in a realistic amount of time. It seems you already have the right attitude and persperctive. Let us know how everything goes.

And most of all, congratulations on your engagement. ;)

Oh, and do you guys have Jamba Juice over there? They have really good smoothies and several of them have all your reccomended fruit in one drink, very healthy, low cal/fat and its shockingly filling (probably cuz its quite large) If you do, I'd definatly say, if your ever feeling like a fast food or sweets get away, go grab one of those. :yum:
  • Options
    I just love mayonnaise stuff.. . bread with chicken and mayo... and cheese... yummy.. i dont' like chinese food though.. ugh.... i am overweight true overweight, lol... your bmi is not showing that you're overweight.. i'm like 27 or 28...
  • Options
    Water helps if you're hungry. If you feel the need to snack, snack on healthy stuff like fruit.
  • Options
    hi,

anyone been on a diet that works?
    im looking to lose some weight before my wedding and ive got over a year to lose the weight. Im a size 14 and wanna get down to a 12. just wanna lose some weight on my thighs and tummy, arse. oh and get rid of the little double chin for photos!

im not sure where to start or what to eat!!

Organise a wedding - thought that will only make you loose weight if your not the type of person who confort eats! because you will be so busy with that you will forget to eat.

Also weigh food out - its very easy to make your portions tooo large.

Eat 5 a day and nothing with more than 4g of fat in 100 - read the back of lables.

Drink water and excersise more.
  • Options
    pills and not eating was the only thing that made me loose weight

death and arguments are the only thing which make me loose my appetite
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Eat 5 a day and nothing with more than 4g of fat in 100 - read the back of lables.

She's not a huge monster expecting to lose a number of stones in a few days! No need for a crash and burn diet!

I had a chicken tikka style wrap with salad earlier, that was around 3% fat, on the shelf by your expectations that was about the only thing i could have picked up!

A single slice of bread is around 1g of fat in 100! going about it like that certainly restricts what you're going to be able to eat!
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    Oh, and do you guys have Jamba Juice over there? They have really good smoothies and several of them have all your reccomended fruit in one drink, very healthy, low cal/fat and its shockingly filling (probably cuz its quite large) If you do, I'd definatly say, if your ever feeling like a fast food or sweets get away, go grab one of those. :yum:

We dont have it, but Innocent Smoothies are the best thing ever. Two portions of your five a day and completely gorgeous and natural too boot.
  • Options
    Only two portions of your 5 a day from an Innocent smoothie? I've been known to have at least 10 when the cartons have been on offer..... :blush:
  • Options
    We dont have it, but Innocent Smoothies are the best thing ever. Two portions of your five a day and completely gorgeous and natural too boot.

I thought regardless of how many you have, smoothies only account for up to one of your daily portions?

(Don't understand why that is myself, but it's said often enough)
  • Options
    It's all to do with the reasoning that you should be getting 5 different portions a day, so however much you eat of one thing it only counts once.
  • Options
    Didn't like your answer so googled it ;) ...

Q. Why do fruit juices and pulses count only once, even if you have several portions of them?

A. Juice (fruit or vegetable) only counts as 1 portion a day, regardless of how much is drunk, because it has very little fibre. Also, the juicing process 'squashes' the natural sugars out of the cells that normally contain them, and this means that drinking juice in between meals isn't good for teeth. Pulses contain fibre, but they don't give the same mixture of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients as fruit and vegetables. So in order to get a healthy balance, it is important to ensure that you get a variety of fruit and vegetables.
  • Options
    C'mon, that's roughly the jist of mine....

(Except you can understand mine when not fully alert :p ).
  • Options
    Don't diet. Dieting implies a temporary - and frankly often unhealthy - change in what you're eating with the soul aim of losing weight. If you're overweight then the chances are you need to change what it is you're eating and how much you're eating of it. If don't expend a lot of energy in your day-to-day life (like me) then cut back on the carbohydrates a little - there's no need for such slow release energy rich foods while sitting at a desk.

You'll also benefit greatly from taking more/some exercise. Swimming is great, if not a little dull, or you could do what my mum has done in the past and cycle on an exercise bike while you're watching your favourite TV programs.

Slow healthy weight loss is weight that stays off.
  • Options
    thanks for all the comments, like i said ive got nearly over a year to lose the weight and only wanna lose a little bit so im sure i can cut down on things and eat healthy and not do a crash diet. is cranberry juice healthy? i like that and smoothies. could do with something that replaces chocolate tho!
    as for the cooking.......ummm its a long story but i havnt really got much of a kitchen at the moment. i have a microwave and a george foreman grill thing and a fridge but thats it really. (living in a building site)
    so im thinking thats why the takeaways seem easyier. anyone got any quick and easy recipe tips?
  • Options
    Cranberry juice is fine, just be aware that a lot of brands contain a lot of sweetners as it normally has quite a sharp taste.

An occassional piece of chocolate won't hurt, everything in moderation etc. I treat myself to good quality chocolate every now and again, tis only fair to treat yourself every once in a while.

There are quite a few recipes available that you can do on the George Foreman grill, search and see what you like.
  • Options
    Go to Alton Towers, all that walking, all that adrenaline and all that hanging around upside down at meal time as the ride breaks with you in it. lol
  • Options
    Hey guys

I always take some water, little chocloate for immediate diet supplies. Just few glass of water is good. I also take some juices, some dry fruits when I am off to work. I love speically dry fruits like almonds, pasta, kajus which keeps me storing energy all the time

Thanks

Charlene
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    I thought regardless of how many you have, smoothies only account for up to one of your daily portions?

(Don't understand why that is myself, but it's said often enough)

Smoothies have multiple fruits and fruit juices in them though so that wouldn't relate to your one fruit/one serving deal :p The tastey ones usually have at least 3, usually 4 different fruits and fruit juices, so they would still count as multiple servings, if they are large enough... I would think so, eh?
  • Options
    Apparently not if all the reports in newspapers articles, reports on the net etc... Suggest

They always say how smoothies are a great way to include fruit in your diet, but always point out that it will only ever make up one of your portions.

One other thing to take note of from the reply of someone telling you to only eat something if its below 4% in fat, usually if a meal is really low in fat that it'll have a really high sugar level to compensate.

It's alot easier to watch what you're eating now, even with the limitations that the "traffic light" scheme has on the front of packets, it'll give you a quick idea as to if they are really unhealthy, beyond that look on the back and take in to account the rest of what you feel you need to look at.

Anyway i'm sure you'll hit your goal no problem so keep it fun :thumb: