Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Auz bans HIV positive immigrants

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Territt wrote: »
    Well for a start Victoria state public health officials have stated that the rise in HIV cases is partly due to Immigration, and i think maybe they know a lot more then you?

1. Maybe they need to learn a little about how infection happens then. last time I looked HIV was not transferred through immigration...

2. Or maybe you should read that again. The rise in HIV cases is partly down to immigration but no mention of increased infections which is a different statistic altogether.

3. Can you link to this statement?
  • Options
    Well for a start Victoria state public health officials have stated that the rise in HIV cases is partly due to Immigration, and i think maybe they know a lot more then you?

So, just explain how immigration causes a rise in HIV cases for me then?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

It's simple. You have one case, you admit someone to your country who is HIV+ and therefore you now have two cases. That is a rise.

What it doesn't say is that the immigrant infected someone, which is a different issue completely. This is an example of statistics saying one thing being used to say something else and I'd expect little better of someone life Territt TBH.
  • Options
    I know what you meant. But you are suggesting that this is an condition which is not already in the UK or as the thread is about Oz, in Austrailia. It is and the only reason that neither you nor I have it is because we are careful.

Errr...I'm not suggesting the UK and Australia aren't affected. :confused:
    No, my reasoning is what will stop the spread. It is the teachings of the Church and religious leaders - in some part of Africa the religious leader suggest that sleeping with a virgin is a cure, in others that there is no link bewteen HIV and AIDS.

The message that the only protection is to stop HIV+ people donating blood and to use condoms is the one we should get out.

That's way too simplistic - if it was as easy as promoting condoms and dismissing superstition, why such problems in Western societies if the immigration factor is no big deal, as you claim? I certainly don't know anyone from the UK who doesn't understand the purpose of contraception and accept the reality of STDs, least of all someone who believes sleeping with a virgin is a cure. But as you say, the West still has a problem.

So, it stands to reason that condoms and education, necessary as they are, cannot be relied upon alone to prevent infection rates from increasing.
    Do you think that infection will stop because someone bans HIV+ people from entering their country? Do you think that Oz will no longer have any probelms?

No-one in their right mind would suggest that.

You know as well as anyone that an allowing entrance would result in increased infection rates in Oz, just as it has in the UK.

How is that a good thing?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »

well you get a large group of HIV infected people move into a country, they have sex with people, whose people catch HIV, so forth, understand yet?

at the end of the day I cant see what the problem is in protecting your people, I mean would be having this chat if AUZ was to ban murders from entering? And I am sure HIV kills more people
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    That's way too simplistic - if it was as easy as promoting condoms and dismissing superstition, why such problems in Western societies if the immigration factor is no big deal, as you claim?

Dude, the answer is simple. Getting people to do it isn't ;)

ETA: Much as I dislike the catholic church, if we followed their teachings then HIV would be eradicated in a generation. On that point their message is correct. People though aren't so comformist. It isn't the message which is wrong, it's behaviour and that is much, much harder to change.
  • Options
    well you get a large group of HIV infected people move into a country, they have sex with people, whose people catch HIV, so forth, understand yet?

Thank you for making my point.

That isn't what you "quote" from the public health officals says, is it?
  • Options
    Dude, the answer is simple. Getting people to do it isn't ;)

People are not going to stop having unprotected sex. Fact.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    People are not going to stop having unprotected sex. Fact.

And changing immigration law will not change that fact either, dude.
  • Options
    And I am sure HIV kills more people

2005 UK

765 people murdered

503 died from an A.I.D.S related illness.
  • Options
    And changing immigration law will not change that fact either, dude.

No shit. So why make the problem worse as you suggest?
  • Options
    at the end of the day, we could chat about this all day, but surely it should be up to the Australians who they want into there country?
  • Options

at the end of the day I cant see what the problem is in protecting your people, I mean would be having this chat if AUZ was to ban murders from entering? And I am sure HIV kills more people

So what would you about people (birn there) in Australia that have HIV?

Rubberskin - can I just ask you where you got from stats from please?
  • Options
    at the end of the day, we could chat about this all day, but surely it should be up to the Australians who they want into there country?
    Why discuss any international affairs at all then?

Better shut down this forum...
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Rubberskin - can I just ask you where you got from stats from please?

AIDS related deaths in UK

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=654 but the link doesn't work now

Murders in the UK

http://www.crimestatistics.org.uk/output/page40.asp
  • Options
    I wonder if the policy will apply to Aussies who emigrate then wish to return at a later date.

If the single aim is to prevent AIDS infections and they think they can do this by stopping people with AIDS entering the country then if you go abroard, and get AIDS then you shouldn't be allowed back in, if they were being consistent......
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I was born in Australia and lived there until 6 years ago. Admittedly I lived in Melbourne, which a bit more cosmopolitan than the rest of the country, but I'm of the opinion that Howard has done a great job of feeding the fear and ignorance of the nation.

For a country that is determinedly against the nanny state, I find the logic of this impeneterable - where is the personal responsibility of Australian citizens and potential citizens in stopping the transmission of the AIDS virus in this? Surely the Governments concern in this is to educate and support, not dictate. It is a flimsy excuse to control immigration, based on fear and an increasing tendency to centralise power and reduce state influence.
    Personally, I won't even contemplate going back to spend any time there until mini-Bush is elected out.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote: »
    I wonder if the policy will apply to Aussies who emigrate then wish to return at a later date.

If the single aim is to prevent AIDS infections and they think they can do this by stopping people with AIDS entering the country then if you go abroard, and get AIDS then you shouldn't be allowed back in, if they were being consistent......

Which is what I would support.
  • Options
    So if anyone catches anything infectious whilst abroard they shouldn't be allowed back into Britain? Does that apply just for potentially fatal illnesses or everything?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Toadborg wrote: »
    So if anyone catches anything infectious whilst abroard they shouldn't be allowed back into Britain? Does that apply just for potentially fatal illnesses or everything?

It depends entirley.

Something like HIV can easily be spread by people. Having sex is enough, and we all know that happens easily enough when you're pissed.

Somehing like Cancer isn't going to be spread.

TB, that is dangerous. Shouldn't be allowed on a fucking plane for certain, the recirculated air will get to everyone. TB is easily spread on planes.

HIV isn't alone in needed a solution. The sooner we find one, the sooner we can stop isolating people. This policy is a reaction to a problem. Don't like it? Stand up to your government and tell them to stop wasting money on fucking pointless wars and start investing it into a medical science. And stop bullshit private companies charging over the odds for the cure once it's out.
  • Options
    HIV is not 'easy' to spread at all. What have wars, and private companies got to do with it?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Something like HIV can easily be spread by people. Having sex is enough, and we all know that happens easily enough when you're pissed.

HIV is actually quite hard to catch.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    HIV is actually quite hard to catch.

Unprotected sex happens pretty easily...
  • Options
    Unprotected sex happens pretty easily...

HIV isn't passed on that easily from unprotected sex. Obviously people should use protection, but HIV is one of the harder STI's to catch.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    President Howard has suggested that they ban immigrants, including asylum seekers who have HIV because he thinks the rise in infection there is because of immigrants.

Personally I think its just another unpleasant measure that he has brought in to try and maintain Auz as a lovely white country.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6551245.stm

I always though that was standard operating procedure in all countries?

Thought all countries have a medical ?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    HIV isn't passed on that easily from unprotected sex. Obviously people should use protection, but HIV is one of the harder STI's to catch.

Well since most of those affected by HIV were infected through unprotected sex I'm not sure that the risk should be played down. And the HIV risk for some kinds of sex, e.g. anal sex between gay men is very high. Although I do agree with you in that HIV isn't the only STD people need to be worried about.
  • Options
    Well since most of those affected by HIV were infected through unprotected sex I'm not sure that the risk should be played down. And the HIV risk for some kinds of sex, e.g. anal sex between gay men is very high. Although I do agree with you in that HIV isn't the only STD people need to be worried about.

Equally it's important not to overstate the problem. Unprotected sex with someone you know is HIV positive has a risk somewhere between 300-1 and 1000-1 of catching the infection, depending on who you ask (200-1 for anal apparently). In the western world at least, there are far more problematic STD's to worry about.
  • Options

I'm not aware of any countries having such measures. Not for the admission of immigrants into the country at any rate.

I find any such measure deeply disturbing and nauseating as well.
  • Options

if they dont then they really should,
  • Options
    Send them to the camps as well.