Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

rape of a thirteen month old girl ...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    So please give us your theory on how you 'think' we can deter people from this type of crime.

I don't know. As I keep saying, I'm not a criminal psychologist. But yes, there should be a mandatory life sentence for a crime like this. But I don't think it will actually deter people. If someone is so fucked in the head that they commit this sort of crime, I don't really think that they worry about consequences.
    Maybe we need to look at why people do this. Its an oft quoted statement that the abused tend to go on to be abusers. If this is true, then we need to find a way to break that cycle.
    I also think this sort of crime is about power. People who maybe don't feel that they have any power or control over themselves or their own lives seek to get power by abusing others. People who are not cared or loved or made to feel worthwhile in their formative years often go on to not have much empathy or conscience in later life. Stuff like that. These issues need to be looked at, not just dismissed out of hand by labelling people as "monsters" etc.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    the abused tend to go on to be abusers. If this is true, then we need to find a way to break that cycle.
    This isnt true. What IS true is that people who abuse have often been abused themselves, but the VAST VAST majority of victims of abuse would NEVER go on to abuse others. There is a big difference between the statements `abusers tend to have been abused` and `the abused tend to go on to be abusers`.
    I just felt it was important to point that out.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    This isnt true. What IS true is that people who abuse have often been abused themselves, but the VAST VAST majority of victims of abuse would NEVER go on to abuse others. There is a big difference between the statements `abusers tend to have been abused` and `the abused tend to go on to be abusers`.

Absolutely true. Well said, and I completely agree with you. It's very wrong to say that people who are abused often go on to abuse others. No.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite

Point taken. :o