Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

TheMix Book Club!

Amy22Amy22 Posts: 4,022 Community Veteran
Hey folks, me and my good friend @Xee the other day were talking about it being an idea to start to up a book club on here, for those who enjoy reading or may want to get back into reading but are struggling to find the motivation doing so (kinda like me at the moment). So, I thought maybe once a month we could like suggest a book we would like to all read, read it together and discuss our thoughts on the book?. I don't know if this would be a good idea because I know not everyone will able to have access to the book that we choose for the month. Therefore, maybe we could all read a book we have been meaning to read but haven't got round to so its easier for everyone. I even thought about having prompts for each month such as read a book which contains romance or a book that have a certain theme etc. Obviously these are things we can decide on later on potentially. I was just wondering how many of you would be possibly interested in taking part in this. It was mainly @Xee's idea but I decided that I wanted to expand on the idea and make it potential happen!. Please let me know whether a Mix book club would be suitable for everyone or if there is anything I have missed out even want to include as part of the book club.

Happy reading!

3o2g0upql4pw.png

Amy22 <3

Just a person who likes pop culture and films

Comments

• Options
    yanayana Community Champion Posts: 1,277 Wise Owl
    ooh another idea i just had is we could choose books that are available for free online. there are a few certain websites i used to use a lot i can recommend if that'll be helpful?
    my brain is not braining the way brains are meant to brain
  • Options
    Xee wrote: »
    ooh another idea i just had is we could choose books that are available for free online. there are a few certain websites i used to use a lot i can recommend if that'll be helpful?

Actually if there are free books available online that may be handy too. I also thought would it good to also have a selection of podcasts maybe cause for some they want want audiobooks or podcasts. I got a few good ones on Spotify :)
  • Options
    Past UserPast User Posts: 0 The Mix Regular
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you @faolan :). Also omg same Ive been so terrible with my focus as of lately I can barely read. Then again, I have been reading fanfiction of my favourite indie graphic novel based game called Deadplate. Deadplate is so good omg Rody x Vincent for life!. Sorry I got carried away with my hyperfixation then :lol::joy:
  • Options
    toffuna101toffuna101 Posts: 154 Helping Hand
    what genre of book do you all have in mind?
  • Options
    toffuna101 wrote: »

@toffuna101 i guess whatever the majority agrees on. personally i love romance and thrillers the most but I'm open to literally anything, i read quite a mix of things :)
  • Options
    toffuna101 wrote: »

I don't mind I pretty much read all types really it depends I guess how I am feeling at the time. I do have a tendancy to read books like are fantasy or have magical elements to them
  • Options
    Matthew_04Matthew_04 Moderator Posts: 78 Budding Regular
    This is a really cool idea :)
    I've always loved the idea of a book club and it's great motivation for getting back into reading.
  • Options
    lunarcat522lunarcat522 Posts: 426 Listening Ear
    @Amy22 This is an incredible idea! I absolutely love reading! I'm currently reading the Hunger Games Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I'm mostly into contemporary fiction or magical realism, occasionally non-fiction like memoirs but would be open to anything suggested!
  • Options
    @lunarcat522 omg I got the book Ballard of Songbirds and Snakes!. But I need to finish reading Mockingjay first before I move onto it. I will be honest I do browse through books and I browsed through that one and it does look good, I keep spoiling books for myself though :scream::skull:
  • Options
    im so jealous @Amy22 @lunarcat522 i really wanna read itttt. i watched the film and adoreddd it but i need to read the book too
  • Options
    ebyrne556ebyrne556 Moderator Posts: 839 Part of The Mix Family
    Omg i love this idea! Ive just started the way i used to be by amber smith and whats really funny and i didnt even realise was the main character is called Eden :p
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    indievioletindieviolet Posts: 40 Boards Initiate
    A bookclub sounds like an awesome idea! I try to read a lot but sometimes can't find anything interesting so this could be great for book recommendations :) I'm currently reading Almond by Sohn Won-pyung which is very interesting so far. It's about a Korean boy with alexithymia
  • Options
    edited January 10
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Omg i love this idea! Ive just started the way i used to be by amber smith and whats really funny and i didnt even realise was the main character is called Eden :p

that's so funnyy @ebyrne556 you've found ur book twin! xD
  • Options
    A bookclub sounds like an awesome idea! I try to read a lot but sometimes can't find anything interesting so this could be great for book recommendations :) I'm currently reading Almond by Sohn Won-pyung which is very interesting so far. It's about a Korean boy with alexithymia

I've heard of Almond and I might be putting that on my reading list!. I heard its about a boy with alexithymia which is a very interesting thing to write about in itself <3. I think it would be a very good read. Hope you enjoy reading it <3. You'll have to let me know how you found it in the end.
  • Options
    Late to the party but such a great idea! Ive been reading the all our hidden gifts srs at the minute and would highly recommend.Its quite different and thers a lot of magic/tarot card chat if anyone is into that.
    I did read Almond and I honestly did learn a lot from it
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Hey, everybody resurrecting this thread, but I’m just wondering what everybody’s been reading recently? I’ve just started powerless by Lauren Roberts and I’m really excited to read it as I’ve heard such good things about it. Hope you’re all having a nice weekend. <3
  • Options
    @ebyrne556 Thank you, was thinking of this thread! I've been reading Kafka on the Shore but it's taking me a while because of my studies encroaching on my free time
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    @ebyrne556 I've recently finished reading Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari, which was a fantastic read. Looking to start reading another book by the same author, 21 Lessons for the 21st Century, now! :)
  • Options
    @Azziman What was it like? My dad has been begging me to read it hahah
  • Options
    Meanwhile I am in the realm of procrascination despite taking out two library books, one called Rosie loves Jack and the other is called Meddling Kids which is a bit like Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. I might extend my books though personally because I badly need to read them but struggle to read.
  • Options
    @Amy22 I read milk and honey yesterday as it seems to be quite popular, it wasn't what I was expecting it to be but I'm sure others would enjoy it
  • Options
    Amy22 wrote: »
    Meanwhile I am in the realm of procrascination despite taking out two library books, one called Rosie loves Jack and the other is called Meddling Kids which is a bit like Stephen King and Steven Spielberg. I might extend my books though personally because I badly need to read them but struggle to read.

Ohh i read Rosie loves jack wasnt my fav read but will be interested to hear ur thoughts!
    Would recommend powerless everyone def worth the read
  • Options
    ebyrne556 wrote: »
    Amy22 wrote: »

Ohh i read Rosie loves jack wasnt my fav read but will be interested to hear ur thoughts!
    Would recommend powerless everyone def worth the read

I extended the book and the Meddling Kids one as I haven't got round to reading it just yet :sweat_smile: Im terrible at reading right now.
  • Options
    @Amy22 I read milk and honey yesterday as it seems to be quite popular, it wasn't what I was expecting it to be but I'm sure others would enjoy it

Omg I've heard a lot about Milk and Honey and I need to read it someday. I think one of my friends read that actually. I know like it's about poetry and has some very intresting themes
  • Options
    @Amy22 I also finished reading The Body Keeps the Score which is quite good (non-fiction)
  • Options
    A book recommendation for you all its called keedie by Elle mc nicoll easy to read meg but it’s really boring and great autism representation!
    What has everyone been reading this week?
  • Options
    @Amy22 Thinking of going to the Edinburgh book festival for the first time this year! 📚
  • Options
    GemmaGemma Community Manager Posts: 610 Incredible Poster
    edited April 21
    @Amy22 Thinking of going to the Edinburgh book festival for the first time this year! 📚

I'm from Edi @lunarcat522 and can confirm the Edinburgh book festival has always been great when I've been! Although I haven't been for a long time. We used to take a trip there every year with school. It's a great chance to meet some authors and attend talks/workshops too. You'll have to let us know if you end up going! :)
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,870 Extreme Poster
    edited April 22
    @Azziman What was it like? My dad has been begging me to read it hahah

Sorry, I missed this! Really insightful - explains and explores topics in a way that combines a good mixture of depth and breadth. I think there are some claims that are slightly dubious, so it does come off a little like a "pop history" account. But still, a good read, would definitely recommend :)