Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Applied to the army

2»

Comments

• Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    @Distraction - Congratulations! I am so happy for you. It is wonderful to see your dreams coming true. A diary sounds like a fabulous idea if you feel comfortable with that :3

@ellie2000 - Thanks for helping @Distraction to weigh up options. However, as you know, everything we do in life comes with negatives as well as positives. I truly believe we were all made for a higher purpose and sometimes that calling comes with negatives! But if it is @Distraction’s true dream, I say go get it! :3

@Anch0r33 - I am wishing you all the best of luck with your appeal. How are you currently feeling about the appeal? Make sure you continue taking it one step at a time as I appreciate it could feel overwhelming. We are here for you whenever you need us! :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    @Anch0r33, sorry to hear this, must have been really hard to get the news.

Are you going to try again after uni and see what they say?

I knew I always wanted to join the army, so I never went to the doctors but at some points I really could have done with it so well done for getting help when you needed it, looking after yourself is no.1 priority in these situations.

I'm not sure yet tbh, I applied for the uni air Squadron so it's totally different to actually serving but I'm really thinking about the reserves.

I'm going through the appeals process and that's an effort but I was the only female intake this year out of a large amount of unis eligible for the air Squadron so I'm just really hopeful
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • Options
    ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,963 Community Veteran
    the army there r alot of sexual assualt cases
    Crazy mad insane
  • Options
    Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,107 Part of The Furniture
    @Anch0r33 - I am so proud of you no matter what you go for! You are doing such a fabulous job. Most important of all, you are really determined. Determination is such a key transferrable skill!

@ellie2000 Oh no. That doesn't sound good at all. Thanks for continuing to spread awareness about really important topics. Your contributions are always really valuable!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    Huge well done to you @Distraction , glad to see things finally working out. Now just to pass the other rigorous parts of the process, but I know you can do it!! <3
  • Options
    DistractionDistraction Posts: 449 Listening Ear
    Thank you @AislingDM !!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Hi guys!

I PASSED my bleep test!!

At AC I failed with a 5.1, needed a 6.6, today I got a 7.1!

I put the work in and it paid off, so happy

Next steps: chat with the recruiter tomorrow about job roles and basic training dates

It's literally been a year this month since I applied and finally seeing the start of something new, I could be in for the summer!

Will write on here again tomorrow about the phone call
  • Options
    Just off the phone with the guy, I could start basic in two weeks if I go as driver!

However (girly moment) I'm getting semi permanent eyebrows tattooed in May and I can not go to basic without them lol (trying to get appointment moved forward) if not it'll be about June when I start training!!! (unless I want to wait for dog handler but that's another two years just sitting about doing nothing so really thinking about driver for now anyway)

This is scary now, never thought I'd get this far, living my life, traveling, become a soldier, away from shitty family fights, I can be myself, it's exciting and daunting also terrifying lol but I'm a happy sarcastic fun person and I hope that shines through because I've not been able to be care free for so long, I hope to make good pals and it all works out
  • Options
    DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Yay, well done @Distraction thats amazing news, I hope your chat goes well do let us know how it goes!
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Options
    Forgot to update, in basic training the now! Joined on the 21st of August, been back trooped due to fitness, was 30 seconds off my run time however it's all apart of the journey and looking forward to getting fitter and improving on myself!

Thanks for all your guys support! Might update once finished basic but that's a least 14 weeks away if not more but looking forward to it all :)
  • Options
    fiona333fiona333 Posts: 141 Helping Hand
    edited September 2022
    Congrats @Distraction wishing you all the best! Really admire your attitude to the journey too and please do keep us updated.
  • Options
    Amy22Amy22 Posts: 3,963 Community Veteran
    I'm so proud of you @Distraction and I wish you all the best in your journey. Keep going and keep doing amazing things <3
    Just a person who likes pop culture and films
  • Options
    sinead276sinead276 Posts: 1,034 Wise Owl
    @Distraction Slightly late but I copy the others in saying I wish you the best on your journey and hope you enjoy it all - it's a super brave thing that you're doing so well done :3
  • Options
    A little disheartened

After passing my fitness test with 20 seconds under the time needed, I left re train and went back into troop, I was really happy, all the hard work paid off and I was going to a troop I really wanted to be in.

I spent the night there, the next morning we had PT and I go and fracture my ankle/leg, went to the med centre on camp, then A&E, back to camp, spent a week on the ward and then back to the re train building, they say it's going to be 3 to 4 months recovery, can't believe it...

In my head I'm still going to complete basic training one day but I've lost heart in it, I hate it at the moment.
  • Options
    genderless_fungigenderless_fungi Moderator Posts: 155 Helping Hand
    Hey @Distraction

I'm sorry to hear it's been so hard. It must be horrible to see all that hard work pay off and then injuring yourself like that. It's okay to feel disoriented given everything that's been going on, especially considering how determined you were. Just remember that we're here for you if you need anything - keep us updated about the situation and let us know if you need any support!
  • Options
    Six months later!

I've fully recovered :) leaving rehab sometime this week, which is good! Although I won't be going back to troop yet, it's retrain again, I didn't pass my 2K run.

I'm 15/20 seconds too slow but it's defiantly doable, the rehab team have been amazing and put a lot of work in, my times gone down from 12 minutes 50 seconds to 11 44, they've been very supportive and even tried to keep me here a little longer to see if I could reach 11 30 but it's time to move on.

it's funny how a 14 week course will turn into a year in 3 months time.

We had a long weekend, got to go home, it was so nice to see everyone, had a really good night out and caught up with family but also had some sad news with my dog getting cancer, he seems ok atm but it's playing on my mind a bit, it's really bothering me that if I can't get leave (because it is just a dog) that when the time comes he'll be in the room himself, cos no one will go with him and he shouldn't be alone, he'll be looking for at least one of us and I want to be there, but saying that he might even last a few more years, who knows.
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Distraction - really glad to hear that you've recovered from your injury! It'll take some time to get back into running condition, but it sounds like you're motivated to keep working at it - you'll hit your time target in no time. Looks like seeing your family again was a nice time, which is good to hear. When do you think you'll be able to return to your troop?

I can understand that it's difficult to think about your dog, and it's natural because you care for him. I'd hope that you'd be able to get leave to see your dog when the time comes, I'm sure several of them can understand how difficult a situation it can be. Like you say though, we hope that your dog will keep on going strong :)