Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What do you think about straight actors playing gay roles?

AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
I've seen a lot of different discourse and discussions about this and topics similar to this, and I just thought it would be cool to gain some different perspectives from everyone. I truly hope this does not upset anyone, if so please feel free to let me know and I can take the discussion down of course! We might have different thoughts and/or different rationales but I'd grateful to hear from anyone?
FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

Comments

• AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    I won't pretend that I'm not a sucker for Darren Criss' portrayal of Blaine Anderson in Glee, however I know it's quite a contentious topic as this can prevent gay people from obtaining roles in movies and shows. This has become such an important topic that different actors have expressed regret at playing a gay character as they have taken the opportunity away from another actor.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/12/darren-criss-gay-characters

I wanted to know what people thought, especially because I saw a cool take I hadn't thought of before, if we stopped straight actors from playing gay characters, then any closeted actor might not be able to play a role they really want without outing themselves (e.g., if they weren't ready to come out publicly/didn't want to).

:) Please be kind and help me to hear your opinions and such xx
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    I’m torn on this, I do believe that it’s important for LGBT actors to play LGBT characters, but I do agree that straight actors have portrayed gay characters well in the past. I guess the only thing I’m against is cis people playing transgender characters I feel in that situation it’s more appropriate to cast a transgender actor. I think it’s an interesting discussion
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    edited January 2022
    @AislingDM - I think it's great! I think we need all forms of diversity in as many places as possible :3
  • BrookeeBrookee Posts: 1,327 Wise Owl
    @AislingDM I think this is a really interesting question, so thank you for bringing this up. I agree with @Dandelion I'm kind of torn, because I feel like it's important for individuals who are LGBTQ+ to be able to represent themselves, instead of being played by a straight individual who doesn't have any first hand experience or knowledge on the struggles that LGBTQ+ individuals have faced. I also think it's common for straight individuals to play LGBTQ+ people due to their status as a celebrity and the fact it'll provide more revenue for directors and such. I do also think that some straight people have really done well at portraying LGBTQ+ individuals in the past, and have brought tons of awareness, and helped face a lot of stigmas head on, so it's difficult.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    I think this is a non issue.

As longs as gay actors are not being discriminated against, I really can't see a problem. It's called acting ffs.
    Weekender Offender 
    Thanks for sharing your views everyone! I think we have all agreed that it depends on how they are perceived and treated :3
  • charlieboyzcharlieboyz Posts: 178 Helping Hand
    I think its okay as long as the gay community are portrayed in a goodlight. And also, when gay characters fit the stereyotypes, that shoukdnt be allowed
    Thanks for sharing your views with us too @charlieboyz :3
    @Dandelion Totally with you on that, and to be honest that's why i didn't ask about trans roles in films because I do fundamentally believe that that is a different realm, especially as the exclusion of trans actors is much harsher and starker nowadays than for cis gay actors. It's truly such a nuanced topic regardless though, as it's totally valid for people to only want gay people playing gay roles, plus even if they sometimes had straight actors playing gay roles I'd probably still wish for the overwhelming majority to go to gay people where possible as they can also bring their real experiences to the performance also? But still never want to disadvantage actors who aren't out yet too!!

@Laura_tigger82 I hear what you mean, like the advantages of allowing people to portray a range of roles allows people not to be type cast also, which should hopefully benefit gay actors, as this would ensure that they can also play straight roles (of which there are considerably more to choose from compared with gay roles). Maybe an additional relevant layer revolves around what the straight actor does for LGBT+ rights outside of work? If you're playing gay, are you actually helping us too?

@Brookee Such a fab point about weaponizing 'playing gay' to further one's career/movie buzz, I hadn't even considered this aspect, as it's certainly true that individuals can play a role well, yet if their intention is solely, or largely, rooted in improving their own status/buzz then this does not feel fair. it truly is such a complex discussion!!! xx

@Skive A very fair point!!! ultimately it does all come down to ensuring that there was not a level of discrimination that led to the straight actor gaining the role over a gay actor, but I really hope we're moving more toward this being a past issue? :)

@charlieboyz totally, that's a huge factor in the situation isn't it, where there are limited gay roles portrayed with a level of nuance, and so to then also give a reductive gay character to a straight actor, this merely adds insult to injury!

Thank you all for bringing your thoughts here, it's really helped me to think more about this topic !! <3
    Hi @AislingDM

Yes, definitely! Either someone who identifies with being LGBTQIA+ or someone who is an advocate and has genuine interests at heart <3
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I dont see the problem gay actors are made to play straight ones all the time. also how do we know someone isn't gay or maybe bi :p maybe they are in the closet, and they want to explore. I feel its unfair to restrict roles like that. Ofc a gay actor may enjoy playing a gay character more or portray it better. It depends on the context and whats being portrayed.
    Very very true and sensible point @tkdog !! Especially because I would say there are plenty of examples of gay and straight actors playing roles which do not reflect their 'real life' sexuality and they do it fantastically! Plus, you're so right, at what point is there a 'cut-off'? Can a bi man play a gay character, for example? Would some people think this is wrong? Who's to say! Regardless, I love hearing everyone's opinions on this =)
    I think that would be perfectly ok @AislingDM. Providing the bi man wanted to play the gay character and the story given. I think choice is super important! Hearing everyone's opinions is so valuable :3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    As long as they play the part well, I don't mind who it is :)
    Thanks @Azziman for sharing your views on this subject! Everyone's views are really insightful and appreciated :3
    Hey @Anch0r33

Thanks for sharing your insights too. I have loved reading everyone's thoughts! Really interesting and valued. I think it is super important that the role is reflected the best it can be :3
    Really insightful and interesting points guys !!! @Azziman and @Anch0r33. It's especially interesting to hear your points from the study of theatre as it helps us to know what they reality of casting is like, rather than us just speculating and saying our opinions =) In many ways that's super awesome and so true, like we certainly couldn't limit all roles to only being played by those people who entirely match the character's profile/experiences, especially given that we've seen fab portrayals from people who are not at all like their character!!. I think the only thing I'd be cautious of with casting and such is trying to minimise the barriers to gay people getting into different films and TV shows, so that there is not some huge disparity in terms of who can get their foot in the door in the first place <3 xx
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Oh absolutely, basically it's the best person for the job - doesn't put barriers in place. It just means you have to be the best of the best. Acting is a damn hard career to be successful in but any sort of discrimination is a no no to me.

I know when we cast at my uni theatre society we do it based on audition and who best fits the role. We don't do it based on any sort of protected characteristic so the best person for the role gets it.

I feel like that's the fairest way - just like if you were hiring for a job, you'd go for the best candidate for the job, not who belongs to a protected characteristic because everyone can work hard to get a job.

And I understand there's barriers - as a care experienced person I struggled through school, I still struggle, but I work hard and get myself where I want to be and I really believe that's something people can do. They shouldn't be blocked by discrimination, it should simply come down to who's best for the job.

Just my opinion :) love reading others!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    edited January 2022
    Hey @Anch0r33

Thanks for your response. I agree with @AislingDM, your points are super insightful and valuable! I have learnt so much already from you sharing your knowledge with us. Your determination and passion are so clear to see, just keep it up! <3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Anch0r33 wrote: »
    But it's important to remember that the whole point of acting is just that. It's playing a role that's outside of yourself. You're becoming a new person to fit a role or character. It's done all the time.
    This sums it up perfectly in a sentence! :)
    I also think, TV production teams have gotten much better over time in designing characters and storylines by getting insight from charities and social organisations to make sure they portray sensitive topics and health conditions better, which is great to see x
    Hey @Azziman

Oooh, you have raised a really good important! I also think TV production teams have gotten better since working with other people. I remember Eastenders as a particularly good example of this. Hope it continues :3
    So true tbh @Anch0r33 and @Azziman we want the best produced TV of course, and as you say when production houses make the sincere effort to connect with the real-life people that their characters are portraying this is when we gain the most insightful performances!! Plus through doing this, we can hope to diminish barriers which exist, meaning that opportunities to get into acting school for example, will be equal at every stage, at least that's the dream for me <3 xxx
    Hey @AislingDM

Thanks for your response. I was just going to press agree until I saw "diminish barriers which exist". I very much agree, but I wanted to add that this could be very systematic and much broader than just for the LGBTQIA+ community. If we could apply that to every course, every job, and every opportunity, the world would be a much better place! <3
    edited February 2022
    So very true @Laura_tigger82 !!! Because even the idea of getting rid of barriers is so immensely complex and 'multi-faceted' (I love this word!) and so trying to work through this certainly won't be an easy task and definitely applies to many groups. Thank you for adding such an essential point to this thread. We've all just got to keep trying as hard as we can to do what we can I suppose <3 xx
    Hey @AislingDM

Thanks for your response. Oh, indeed. I can only agree with how multi-faceted it is. One step at a time, and if we all play our role, we can make a huge difference! <3