Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Concern over LFTs and PCRs

lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Laura_tigger82Laura_tigger82 Moderator Posts: 5,086 Part of The Furniture
    Hi @lovemimoon

Thanks for sharing these articles with us.

I have certainly heard similar stories!

What do you think? :3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    It's certainly quite worrying how much conflicting information we all seem to be getting, and I know this pandemic has been beyond stressful for everyone, including all the scientists involved with LFTs and PCRs, but articles like this can make us quite panicked about how to proceed with different test results. I'd always say staying home is the safest option to protect others, no matter what <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Oh indeed @AislingDM! And following up LFT's with PCR'S :3
  • gia9720gia9720 Posts: 117 The Mix Convert
    Ive worked in covid vaccination centre doing LFTs with patients and they really aren't a reliable tool to use PCR are much more reliable in my experience.

Thank you @lovemimoon for sharing the articles its great to see the figures and stats behind the accuracy...

Some improvements will be coming in 2022 no doubt (fingers crossed)
    Thank you for doing such a vital job during such a horrendous time @gia9720 <3 You're so right, honestly, maybe we've just got to try to think as positively as possible and of course being covid-safe even if the government is not mandating too much, we can always choose to do different things like use hand sanitiser and stuff !!!! xx
    @AislingDM yeah I agree with you.

In light of recent news, I am embarrassed and disappointed that when we were limited to go outdoors once per day and told not to leave the house the PM and his co-workers we’re chilling in a garden.

The guidance and science is constantly changing with covid but with poor role models and untrustworthy individuals in positions of power doesn’t give the British public the best confidence in the government.

Personally I hope to see a resignation and heartfelt apology because who is really going to respect and follow guidance from someone who does not follow it themselves - it’s foolery.
    Hi @gia9720

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I think most of us can relate to thinking very similarly about the recent news. Not least those of us who have been following all of the rules and those who have been going out of their way to help protect others. At least you can see who has done the right thing and who has not done the right thing! <3
    Such a true point @gia9720 ! It feels simply draining at this point right? and I can't even imagine how deeply disappointing it is for someone like you who has been doing such vital work to see some gov officials doing the worst things possible in a pandemic. It can honestly cause such a hopeless feeling and that's why I am so glad that you are here continuing on to help encourage others to think of the impact of their actions, it really is very cool of you <3
    Thanks for your response @AislingDM. I also think @gia9720 is doing a wonderful job. @gia9720 how are things currently for you? I hope things are well! :)
    @AislingDM i empathises with you. How do you feel about not having to isolate when you Covid-19 from March? yeah im looking forward to the end of the pandemic.

Hey @Laura_tigger82 i'm doing well, just working a lot - hope you are well and i like your snowman picture however im ready for spring - cough cough its my fave szn ayeeeeeeeeeeee
    Hey @gia9720

Thanks for your response. I am glad you are doing well. I am good too thank you. How is work going for you at the moment? Aww, my picture is Olaf from Frozen! Hopefully, it will be Spring soon for you though. What's your favourite part about Spring? :)
    I really appreciate that, you're so kind!! I feel rather anxious to be honest, but equally I respect other people's exhaustion with having been in various forms of lockdown for almost 2 years. Ultimately, I can't help but think of those who have been unable to 'return to normal' due to vulnerability and I think their opinions are arguably the most important (along with scientists and doctors and nurses!!). <3 what about you, what do you think is the 'right' plan of action?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    gia9720 wrote: »
    im looking forward to the end of the pandemic.

Covid is now endemic. I don't think you'll have to wait long for the WHO to declare the pandemic over. That's doesn't mean SARS-cov-2 is going away. It's not. We'll have to live with it.

Weekender Offender 
    Hey @AislingDM ! I am really sorry to hear you are feeling anxious. I won't lie, as I have been (and largely continue to) shield due to being clinically extremely vulnerable, I am also feeling anxious about it. For example, I graduate from my Masters into employment this year, if everything moves offline again - does that mean I am at risk or unemployed?

However, as you said, I also understand that people who are less vulnerable are excited to go back to normal and do all the things they couldn't when things were shut and put on pause. It is really difficult and I would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts <3
    Such a true true point that you make, this virus is a huge risk not just to immediate physical health but also to all the other consequences like the real fear of losing job opportunities. I can't even imagine how exhausting all these convos of reducing regs even further are for you. To not only be concerned about your health but also your financial security too is not something you should be placed in, it's simply a disgrace!

I know everything is a two-sides to a convo thing but the impacts of this pandemic feel so heavy that moving away from protection feels deeply worrying. Huge hugs and support to you @Laura_tigger82 <3 xxxx
    edited March 2022
    @skive i work as part of a health protection team and yeah although covid cases are calming down, whos to say there wont be another dangerous variant which the government feel restrictions need to be enforced again. They've retracted things before ... i.e. mandatory vaccinations for health and social care workers, so I see now reason why they wouldn't do it again. I remain optimistic for the future and can only hope they stick to their 'living with covid plan' as life must go on and there are a lot of other dangerous diseases besides covid floating about the place ..
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    gia9720 wrote: »
    @skive i work as part of a health protection team and yeah although covid cases are calming down, whos to say there wont be another dangerous variant

That's always been the case. There are many coronoviruses, rhinoviruses and influenza viruses, that all have the ability to mutate into something more virulent at any time.

The vaccines, while effective at reducing serious disease, are not effective enough at eliminating SARS-Cov-2 completely. With new anti viral drugs, and with vaccines, it is something we are going to have to live with.
    Weekender Offender