Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Applied to the army

DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
I finally applied to the army and hope to be a dog handler, got my interview (over the phone) on Monday!

Haven't told my parents that I've actually applied yet (although they know it's what I want to do) but since I'm 23 I think it's time to go for it :)

Just sharing the good news

Comments

• _Tech_Addict_Girl_Tech_Addict_Girl Posts: 1,489 Wise Owl
    Well done I’m so proud of you @Distraction ❤️
  • DandelionDandelion Posts: 1,911 Extreme Poster
    Well Done @Distraction thats great news!
    The steps you take don’t need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction. 
  • Anch0r33Anch0r33 Posts: 1,201 Wise Owl
    Awesome news, I hope your interview goes well - I'm sure you'll smash it!

Make sure you update us!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    Wow, what brilliant news! Congratulations, and very best of luck with your interview!

Would love to hear how it goes :smile:
  • JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Well done @Distraction ! Good luck with your interview and let us know how you get on :smile:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Well done! :) Best of luck, hope it goes smoothly. Keep calm, have some water on hand, and prep some answers beforehand, and you'll be good to go! Let us know how it goes <3
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DistractionDistraction Posts: 439 Listening Ear
    Thank you guys so much! It went really well! Next stage is to send some documents over and get my medical history checked out, this could take anything from a week to a couple months depending on how long it takes the GP to get back to them,

So happy, although they did mention that dog handler roles don't come up often so I could be on a waiting list for up to a year, but after some research I found that some dog handlers didn't have to wait at all, so its just playing it by ear really and it's the role i really want so I can wait a little longer for it :3

Might use this as a stage by stage diary of the sorts haha, if thats alright of course
  • coc0maccoc0mac Posts: 1,054 Wise Owl
    edited March 2021
    This sounds like such positive news, wow! Proud of you. Thank you for updating us too!

How very exciting for you! Absolutely, feel free to use this as a diary. It would be great to follow your updates along. Congrats - rooting for you all the way :smile:
    Hey! So long story short I got deferred because of lack of medical records, it seems to have been sorted out now and they'll be in touch once they've looked over them.

On the fitness side my 1.2 mile run has gone from 19 minutes 41 seconds to 13 minutes 9 seconds which is fab, I need it to be 11 minutes 30 seconds and sure I'll get it down to that but really want 10 minutes and 30 seconds to be able to keep up without being out of breath.

next steps are to talk to the medical team about the records and then hopefully off to the assessment centre!
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    Heeey @Distraction

Congrats for applying to the Army!
    It's so good to see you updating us on the application process! :3<3
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    it'll traumitise u for life, toxic mascalininity, bullying, sexual assult, bomb avoiding,
    after: nightmares, waking up screaming at night and hallucinations (auditory and visual)
    Crazy mad insane
  • ellie2000ellie2000 Posts: 3,940 Community Veteran
    i would just play Call of duty ww2 if i were u to b abs frank
    Crazy mad insane
    Thanks for expressing your concerns, this is something I have thought about and I weighed up the pors and cons and the above possibilities.

However I also see the positive side in joining the army and at 23 it's not something I've rushed into, I feel like the army is where I need to be for now.

@ellie2000
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Good luck with it all @Distraction :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

edited October 2021
    Hey!

The other week I got the call that medical records are all good but even better news is that I could be off to an assesment centre soon :)

There's been a bit on confusion with this, I was told I'd have to wait for a role to open before being sent to AC but now I have the chance to go before that, which means if a role does open then I'm ready to head straight to basic.

This is the last major hurdle, as long as I pass the medical tests and there nothing wrong, I know it's just a waiting game and it's within reach!

Just need to get back to running and working on my time so they can book me in!
    edited October 2021
    Had an AC brief meeting today, went really well, just talked about things to expect on the course and the army as a career in general, the good and bad.

Also met another guy wanting to join, he was 22 so feel much better that I'm really not the only one way over 16/17 lol

My step mum still isn't too happy about it, she thinks "I can do better" but it doesn't bother me as much now, I know it's what I want to do and I'm going to be a little selfish and do it, she'll be proud once she gets to come to the ceremony lol

For now it's fitness, fitness, fitness!!
  • Ed_Ed_ Moderator Posts: 1,551 Extreme Poster
    Hey @Distraction :3 really great to hear that things are going really well, it sounds exciting that you are making progress towards a goal of yours that you have been working towards for some time and that meeting someone a similar age has offered that reassurance that you aren't the only one a bit older.

Also, there is nothing selfish in making a choice that feels best for you. Ultimately, you are the person that has to get up each day and go to work, and so you know what feels right for you at this point in time. As you say, people tend to come around to something once they see what it looks like in reality. Keep us updated on how you are getting on <3
    FAQHow to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.

• maryam852maryam852 Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    @Distraction Well Done! That s great news to hear!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    @Distraction Good job! I'm impressed with your sense of belonging to the army! I think it's a great choice and you'll make your family so proud of you!
    Good luck with this new chapter of your life!

A big hug,
    Cosmo.

Thank you @Cosmo ! Lovely words to hear!
    Got an assesment centre date for 6th December today!
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 111 The Mix Convert
    Well done @Distraction !!!
    I'm so happy for you!!

A huge hug!
    Cosmo.
    edited December 2021
    Had my assesment!

Got back yesterday and what an experience it was, met some amazing people and got them on social media to see how they do with the rest of their application.

I past almost everything! Did really well on the cognitive tests, mid thigh pull, medicine ball throw, team tasks and interview, even took a technical selection test, I didn't pass that but got a good score for someone who just tried it for the hell of it.

Sadly need to go back for the run once I've been tested for cholesterol levels as a family member passed away from a heart attack and they want to check it doesn't run in the family (I'm not sure if you'd know if you have high cholesterol or not and I'm only 23 but again not sure if it's common in younger people so a little worried about that because I'm not the healthiest person, in other words i like my junk food lol, which I actually might change).

So a little disappointed I didn't pass with the rest but I wasn't the only one and it's something that can be put straight hopefully!

Over all I really enjoyed my time, it's made me even more determined to get in and I just can't wait to go to basic which would be the next step.
    @Distraction sorry to hear that you've not passed yet! I'm waiting to hear if I'm medically fit or not for the RAF - I'm currently TMU until they can get further info.

It's all a waiting game and I'm right there with you. If you need any support or to keep morals up, you know where I'm at :)

I feel like our testing is pretty similar across the army and the RAF so I feel you
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    edited December 2021
    Oh my gosh! @Anch0r33 you did it, I remember talking to you about us wanting to join the military! well done on applying and taking the first steps, I hope it works out for you, sending all the luck!

Best bit of advice I can give you is don't mention anything that isn't on your records lol, if you'r doctor doesn't know about it, don't bring it up, I never really went to my doctors about anything because I knew I wanted to join the army, I stupidly told them about my sister and if I didn't I wouldn't need a blood test (which I'm worried might bring other things up like low iron or something)

It really is just waiting! Getting so stressed if they come back with a no lol but staying positive, I'm sure we'll both get to where we want to be.

I have my appointment booked for the 22nd and can re do the run 14 days after that!

It deffo helps to have someone in a similar situation and same goes for you :) happy to chat about anything and so excited for you!

I forgot to mention, I also might have found a place to volunteer for dogs! I've been looking everywhere and there's this place not to far from mine where you just sign up on a daily bases (if there's spaces, which there usually is) and so happy about that because even though you don't need any qualifications it's looked on favourably to have experience so yeyy
    @Distraction yeah I have far too much on my record which it literally shit. When I went into care they requested a copy of my medical history and it's not great :astonished: it's literally been such a nightmare just now, the GP has completed my report for the RAF medicals but they've not received it and it's just going on and on and on. Nightmare, literally.

I just got off all my prescription meds so I'm gonna do my best not to go to the Dr as far as possible for the next few years because then I'll be clear by the time I leave uni - thank god.

Keep me updated! That sounds awesome with the dog volunteering place, I remember you saying how much you wanted to get into dog handling!!!!
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    Hey @Anch0r33 , so sorry thought I replied! Believe you me the medical side is always such a pain! lol took forever for them to find my records and then I needed blood tests and all sorts because I made the mistake of telling them about my sister, should have never have mentioned anything that's not on the records but it's all sorted now so stick with it! Have you had any updates recently?

That's a good idea staying away from the doctors as much as you can but remember to look after yourself as well <3

Thanks and will do!
    GOOD UPDATE!

Got the all clear, medically fit to join!!!

after lost medical records and blood tests and a hell of a lot of time waiting around I finally have the all clear, it's only taken like a year lol!

Next Step: the run, they'll be in contact for me to be booked in, need a 6.6 on the bleep test so aiming for 7!
    Glad to hear you've been medically accepted! Hoping I get the same news. I've been made PMU and working through an appeals process. I need to contact my Dr to have him write me a letter supporting my review but I'm not too hopeful :(
                   (_)
                    |
               ()---|---()
                    |
                    |
             __     |     __
            |\     /^\     /|
              '..-'   '-..'
                `-._ _.-`
                    `
    @Anch0r33, sorry to hear this, must have been really hard to get the news.

Are you going to try again after uni and see what they say?

I knew I always wanted to join the army, so I never went to the doctors but at some points I really could have done with it so well done for getting help when you needed it, looking after yourself is no.1 priority in these situations.