Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Autism or “Autistic”

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
Heya everyone. Hope everyone’s okay! 👌 just a healthy interesting debate carried on from support chat. Wanted to know more people’s opinion

Please remember your opinion isn’t right if not facts. We all have different opinions and should appreciate that. But it’s interesting to know why

Mental illness or not. I will not called someone autistic (unless they wanna be called it). Because it’s not their own identity. some people go like hi I’m *name* and I’m autistic like it their whole identity and belong to one community and that’s being autistic who act the same when it’s not . What about hi I’m *name* and I like dogs and I have autism. Or is liking dogs, apart of your autistim and there is nothing else about you apart from your autism Calling your self austiic - You put the stereotypes in your head of oh this is them. Without thinking about anything else they could possibly be. Say I have autistim means it’s just still who you are but it’s only apart of you. There are many things about you. Mental illness or not. There is still assumptions of what autistim looks like when everyone is not the same.

I would hate for someone to call me borderline. Like can you imagine. They would think of all the awful conitations to it like being manipulative and wouldn’t think about who I am. Not my diagnosis. I know this is a mental illness but it still has the same concept. Like I don’t want to be put in a group of people of “ borderlines”when I am my own person. Which I’m pretty sure I’d fee the same if I had autistim. I wouldn’t want to be put into a group of “autistic” like oh you’re autistic and that’s it about you, don’t need to know anything else. Like yeah it’s a common thing people in that group have but you’re still your own person and I personally think that’s why some like to be called it. So they fee apart of a community or “autistics”. Obviously I could be wrong but as someone who doesn’t have autism that’s how I view it.

My Options in the poll with have “ I have autism” sorry if that offends anyone.
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley

Autism or “Autistic” 8 votes

I have autism & agree
0%
I have autism & prefer “I’m autistic”
50%
louisa982DancerMillie2787meila 4 votes
Don’t have autism & agree
37%
coc0macPast UserForestWitch 3 votes
Don’t have autism & called them “Autistic”
0%
I don’t know
0%
I don’t think it matters
12%
tkdog 1 vote

Comments

• Past UserPast User Definition of a mental mess and a certified lost cause :) EnglandPosts: 0 Just got here
    Don’t have autism & agree
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2021
    At the end of the day every autistic person is different. I’m autistic and that’s how I like to refer to it and I think you should ask what each autistic person thinks instead of just generalising . For a lot of people having autism is a massive part of their identity- just how I explained last night . It’s one of those things that unless you are autistic it’s very difficult to understand and in my opinion unless you have aurism I don’t think you should really be decideding how we like to be reffered to or what’s offensive for us . Just how I wouldn’t decide how to refer to someone with BPD

Also as a thought for next time maybe make the poll private :)
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    I don’t think it matters
    I don't have it I don't know exactly, I think it's up to the person to decide what to use on a personal level tho. I get the concern though of stereotypes and lumping people in a group and not wanting to be defined by it. Also there are different types of Autism too and for some people or conditions in particular maybe they do feel it as a innate part of them. As I get the label Autism lumps together a lot of sorts, as well as the idea of the spectrum.

But I won't speak too much as it is up to those who have it in particular or those with a bit more experience of it at least to think what would work. I think its a difficult topic, but I think its a bit different as a condition to some of the other things out there.
    As a counterpoint I think certain things like sexuality or being deaf etc. you almost always refer to yourself as being such rather than having such and would be strange to hear otherwise maybe some part that is convention, but with sexuality like homosexuality for example people for a long time tried to state how it is a innate fixed thing and not a illness.
    Though there is the idea of fluidity too in sexuality and ofc it shouldn't define you and it doesn't mean you are part a community necesarily unless u want to be.
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    This is an interesting one. Particularly in the mental health sector, we hear a lot about using 'person first' language, which usually means exactly what you're arguing for here Shaunie.

Interestingly though, I remember having a conversation with one of my best friends about this. He was saying he much prefers referring to himself as 'autistic' because he sees it as such a big part of who he is. I think he said 'it's literally woven through every part of me' or something. It really made me reconsider the person first language and realise it's not actually that clear cut.

So I wonder if it can depend on what thing we're talking about. There might be an argument to be made for using person first language when talking about anxiety, depression, or other things that you can recover from. But I wonder if it's a bit different for things are neurological (like autism or ADHD) that are always going to be there, and might feel like a bigger part of you.

There might not be a right answer here, and as @Millie2787 said it's best to use whatever the person prefers if you're not sure how to refer to an individual. It's obvious that person first language is well-intentioned and some people might not mind either way, but interesting nonetheless. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • louisa982louisa982 Posts: 294 The Mix Regular
    Person first language is such bullshit and most autistic people hate “person with autism” the autistic community mainly use autistic and it is not offensive at all . As someone with a good size following on tiktok with the autistic community I like to think I have a good grip on what the autistic community on a whole generally want. Just like we hate the sia film “music”
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2021
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    At the end of the day every autistic person is different. I’m autistic and that’s how I like to refer to it and I think you should ask what each autistic person thinks instead of just generalising . For a lot of people having autism is a massive part of their identity- just how I explained last night . It’s one of those things that unless you are autistic it’s very difficult to understand and in my opinion unless you have aurism I don’t think you should really be decideding how we like to be reffered to or what’s offensive for us . Just how I wouldn’t decide how to refer to someone with BPD

Also as a thought for next time maybe make the poll private :)

Thanks for sharing

but until said otherwise I would carry on. Like if someone said don’t say that to me I wouldn’t. But otherwise I would speak in a way that I think is the less offensive… not assuming anything just say what I would think would want to be called
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I work with a lot of autistic kids and young people and they much prefer autistic than someone with autism...
    LorryTruck wrote: »
    I think I agree with you on this one, like I would hate it if someone said I was "depressed" instead of saying that I had depression for example. It sort of is because of the connotations which come with the different terms, like just because you are autistic doesn't mean that that is what your personality is like? It's not a characteristic, it's an mental illness i guess. It's different if they want to be know as "autistic" though. But even then, being know as autistic, or whatever it is, it makes it seem like that is you, but it's only your disorder, it doesn't make up your personality. I don't know if this makes sense :)

I agree would feel weird
    edited July 2021
    Mike wrote: »
    This is an interesting one. Particularly in the mental health sector, we hear a lot about using 'person first' language, which usually means exactly what you're arguing for here Shaunie.

Interestingly though, I remember having a conversation with one of my best friends about this. He was saying he much prefers referring to himself as 'autistic' because he sees it as such a big part of who he is. I think he said 'it's literally woven through every part of me' or something. It really made me reconsider the person first language and realise it's not actually that clear cut.

So I wonder if it can depend on what thing we're talking about. There might be an argument to be made for using person first language when talking about anxiety, depression, or other things that you can recover from. But I wonder if it's a bit different for things are neurological (like autism or ADHD) that are always going to be there, and might feel like a bigger part of you.

There might not be a right answer here, and as @Millie2787 said it's best to use whatever the person prefers if you're not sure how to refer to an individual. It's obvious that person first language is well-intentioned and some people might not mind either way, but interesting nonetheless. :)

Yeah that’s quite interesting about how one of your friends said it.

Thanks for sharing. I think either way I would said someone with autism as you can’t go wrong. And I don’t think someone could be offended by that as like you said obviously well intended. But I can see how someone could be offended by being label as autistic. And I don’t want to assume that just because a few people have said it here that everyone wants to be referred that way. So for me that would be the safest option
    edited July 2021
    Also when you say you should ask the person rather than assume.

you make it sound like I’m gunna go up to someone and be like you’re not autistic you have autism lol. I mean, specifically referring to on my one person to their face is rarely ever going to happen in my life. Like I’m not gunna go like oh hi Fred with autism. I’m speaking like generally like something like “oh I don’t have many friends who have autism” “rather than I don’t have autistic friends”. Like most of the time you only ever use it when being general. And if the person I’m speaking to get offended by that then i don’t know id apologise and think it was a bit weird as one person don’t represent the whole community to feel like even if I’m not speaking about them that Theyd be offended. Would think it’s weird but carry on with my day lol
  • ApolloApollo Posts: 804 Part of The Mix Family
    I definitely hear more people say they prefer "autistic" than "with autism"

I think its due to the fact that autism isn't a condition/illness, its just about how the brian is wired, so it's not a negative thing, even if it can cause hindrance.

@Shaunie I do kind of agree that "with autism" is the safer option, but I think that's honestly just due to the stigma around autism. Someone referring to themselves as "autistic" probably only sounds harsh because we don't hear it often, and autism is seen as a disability by a lot of people.

Every autistic person I know that has spoken about this prefers "autistic" than "with autism" but yeah it has more risk of sounding rude to others
    🎵 I feel so funny these days, I'd rather sleep than stay awake 🎵
    edited July 2021
    I see. Exactly . @Apollo you kinda indirectly proved my point lol. since Many assume it with like “oh autistim is being naughty” which sadly many do. And when you get a label. The label come with the stigma and connotations so as someone who doesn’t have autism I don’t wanna put that label on those with autism and make those who also don’t have autism assume the worst or suddenly get those connotations from that label.
    There is no assumption as far as I'm aware as autism being referred to as naughty. It's more of "oh that kids weird" never once heard such a disgusting assumption
    In my time I haven’t meet many people with autism on a personal level and that’s probably because they just haven’t told me. The only person I have meet like face to face who has autism is someone who couldn’t speak, and it was very sereve and needed 24/7 care and I don’t wanna assume but it seemed like he didn’t know what he was doing most of the time as he was my neighbour and he would open people’s doors and walk through their house. To me that what comes in my head when people say they have autism and while watching shows like the A word and A typical I obviously know it’s not always that sereve. So I don’t wanna put a label on people when everyone is so different
    edited July 2021
    GreenTea wrote: »
    There is no assumption as far as I'm aware as autism being referred to as naughty. It's more of "oh that kids weird" never once heard such a disgusting assumption

It is a well known assumption when parents are like oh that’s kids playing up. And the parents are like he has autism then people think it’s an excuse but obviously not. So i don’t know how never heard of that assumption when work with kids with autism
    Shaunie wrote: »

It is a well known assumption when parents are like oh that’s kids playing up. And the parents are like he has autism then people think it’s an excuse but obviously not

No such thing as a naughty child

It is a well known assumption when parents are like oh that’s kids playing up. And the parents are like he has autism then people think it’s an excuse but obviously not

No such thing as a naughty child
    Yeah I know just saying the example of what people say
    edited July 2021
    Also it may sound bad but I’d say did a survey of everyone with autism and said what do they prefer and most says autistic. I would still carry on saying autism since I’m an outside and know the affect of saying it has and I don’t wanna say it round others if they’re also going to start to think about the bad things and those assumptions of it as not everyone knows much about autism. Yeah many people have it but I mean I’ve not been under a rock all my life and if I didn’t use the mix I would barely know anything about it like my sister who doesn’t either and shameful I’ve gone to those connotations and those bad assumptions at some point and it’s the lack on understanding which many have when not around it. I don’t want those with autism to be assume of things from others. Sorry if that’s offends you lol. But I think that take priority. Might not be a mental illness but still stigma for it
    Is anyone who has autism offended by not saying autistic or don’t care if don’t get called autistic?
    Also don’t wanna be rude but isn’t it a disablity if they need 24/7 care for it because they can’t speak or do anything by themselves?
    Also don’t wanna be rude but isn’t it a disablity if they need 24/7 care for it because they can’t speak or do anything by themselves?

I don’t get what you mean by this . There’s lots of Autistic people don’t need 24/7 care . Your now thinking that everyone who is autistic is on the severe end of the spectrum. There is a spectrum for the reason as everyone’s needs vary
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    edited July 2021

I don’t get what you mean by this . There’s lots of Autistic people don’t need 24/7 care . Your now thinking that everyone who is autistic is on the severe end of the spectrum. There is a spectrum for the reason as everyone’s needs vary
    I said if. I know it’s a spectrum. But surely when it’s bad then it’s a disability? I don’t know that’s why I’m asking

But that’s off topic to the post was jusy wondering
    Autism is not a disability it’s a condition hence the name autism spectrum condition
    Ok just wondering
    Also it may sound bad but I’d say did a survey of everyone with autism and said what do they prefer and most says autistic. I would still carry on saying autism since I’m an outside and know the affect of saying it has and I don’t wanna say it round others if they’re also going to start to think about the bad things and those assumptions of it as not everyone knows much about autism. Yeah many people have it but I mean I’ve not been under a rock all my life and if I didn’t use the mix I would barely know anything about it like my sister who doesn’t either and shameful I’ve gone to those connotations and those bad assumptions at some point and it’s the lack on understanding which many have when not around it. I don’t want those with autism to be assume of things from others. Sorry if that’s offends you lol. But I think that take priority. Might not be a mental illness but still stigma for it

Actually the National Autistic Society did a survey and majority of Autistic people preferred condition first language as putting the person first and saying with autism made is sound like it was something they could recover from
    edited July 2021
    Also just to add you wouldnt say person with tallness , or person with fattens so why should we say person with autism
    But that wasn’t my point
    edited July 2021
    Also just to add you wouldnt say person with tallness , or person with fattens so why should we say person with autism

Well that’s a completely different thing all together 😅
    That works the other way for your view You wouldn’t call them tall John either. Because why it’s apart of them. Not then lol
    edited July 2021
    No what I’m trying to show is that you as someone who doesn’t have the disability was saying those with the disability shouldn’t use that term . I’m just trying to show you how odd it sounds to say that . And the fact you said you still wouldn’t say Autistic person to someone even if a survey was don’t answer majority of the people said yes is actually offensive.
    Post edited by JustV on
    But it has so much stigma. So why would you want that
This discussion has been closed.