Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Autism or “Autistic”

13»

Comments

• Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    Shaunie wrote: »
    But then you’re saying you don’t have autism? Ahhhhh

Not sure, but if this was referring to me. I’m speaking about myself in the context of my own disability. I have no idea what it’s like to have autism so accept I may be talking absolute rubbish. But was just thinking how it may be similar in that everyone is different and prefers different terminology.

Na I didn’t mean you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    GreenTea wrote: »
    GreenTea wrote: »
    Those who are autistic find communication challenging. Not everyone is able to express they are uncomfortable or knows how to correct it.. instead they may get upset and not be able to express themselves with words.

Have to admit I never thought of this. It’s worth keeping in mind too.

It’s hard because you don’t know until you know the person.

Satastics show that people prefer to be called autistic.. 11% say person with autism and upon further reading..that 11% is mostly professionals..
    Professionals language is different to language you would use socially

Yeah I suppose many professionals are taught to use person first nowadays. Not saying that’s right.

But like I mean. I wouldn’t refer to someone as a “person with autism” exactly. I would say something like “Kate has autism”. And not “Kate is a person with autism”. I might be uninformed but does this mean the same thing? But I’d always change if someone anted me to.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,146 Part of The Furniture
    I have autism & prefer “I’m autistic”
    I don’t understand why I should change my communication cause a few of you find it offensive? When my opinion is right. And yours is just also an opinion

So your saying my opinion is just an opinion Yet your opinion is the one that is right ? So therefore invalidating my opinion ?

Just so your aware my pronouns are THEY and you know that as it’s frequently mentioned in chat and there on my profile and on my chat username . So that’s also hurt that you’ve frequently used she .

Also I don’t understand that by me saying I don’t like “I have autism” is saying I don’t like it
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Means the same thing but I use the word autistic, for example "Katie is autistic".. never really used the term "*name* has autism". Just doesn't sit right
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,495 Skive's The Limit
    edited July 2021
    Millie2787 wrote: »
    I don’t understand why I should change my communication cause a few of you find it offensive? When my opinion is right. And yours is just also an opinion

So your saying my opinion is just an opinion Yet your opinion is the one that is right ? So therefore invalidating my opinion ?

Just so your aware my pronouns are THEY and you know that as it’s frequently mentioned in chat and there on my profile and on my chat username . So that’s also hurt that you’ve frequently used she .

Also I don’t understand that by me saying I don’t like “I have autism” is saying I don’t like it

Sorry lol I didn’t mean that my opinion was right lol
    I’m drunk 😅 I meant mine is just an opinion and yours is just an opinion and no one is right like Mike said and I said earlier
    Post edited by JustV on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    tkdogtkdog Posts: 281 The Mix Regular
    edited July 2021
    I don’t think it matters
    Like I don’t think it’s offensive to call someone “disabled” (respectfully of course) rather than saying they have a disability. It just depends on what each person prefers. So like for example some visually impaired people prefer to be called “blind people” whereas others prefer to be referred to as “sight impaired” or a “person who is visually impaired”. And some people with hearing impairments prefer being referred to as “deaf” whereas others prefer “hard of hearing” or a “person with a hearing impairment”. Similar with autism I suppose.

Hmm I don't think I have ever heard people prefering hearing impaired over deaf on a personal level in practice. Maybe like saying not being able to hear well if ur nearly deaf but not that term in particular.
    Like I remember studying BSL at school and we always talked about deaf people at least if you were born that way, maybe different for someone at an older age?
    The deaf community embraces it. I feel like that term like obscures the simple truth and seems clinical but then again it's up to people to decide.

The only time I have really seen that is written up on notice boards as a polite notice. On the other hand I wouldn't think people would be offended by it.
  • Options
    independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
    tkdog wrote: »
    Like I don’t think it’s offensive to call someone “disabled” (respectfully of course) rather than saying they have a disability. It just depends on what each person prefers. So like for example some visually impaired people prefer to be called “blind people” whereas others prefer to be referred to as “sight impaired” or a “person who is visually impaired”. And some people with hearing impairments prefer being referred to as “deaf” whereas others prefer “hard of hearing” or a “person with a hearing impairment”. Similar with autism I suppose.

Hmm I don't think I have ever heard people prefering hearing impaired over deaf on a personal level in practice. Maybe like saying not being able to hear well if ur nearly deaf but not that term in particular.
    Like I remember studying BSL at school and we always talked about deaf people at least if you were born that way, maybe different for someone at an older age?
    The deaf community embraces it. I feel like that term like obscures the simple truth and seems clinical but then again it's up to people to decide.

The only time I have really seen that is written up on notice boards as a polite notice. On the other hand I wouldn't think people would be offended by it.

Ah I do know a couple of people who prefer it. You’re right it’s not as common @tkdog but there are people out there. It’s all so individual
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    JordanJordan Moderator Posts: 343 The Mix Regular
    Hi guys. Like @Stephanie said this is an interesting and important thing to discuss. However, it looks as if the discussion has become a little heated and temporarily sidetracked.

I appreciate that when discussing topics, especially those surrounding identity, it can be very personal and emotive.

I am going to temporarily close this thread so we can all have some time to step back from the topic at hand :smile:
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,306 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2021
    Just some final thoughts on this. :)

We've cleaned up the thread to preserve the civil and well-meaning parts of the discussion, and removed some of the more reactive and personal comments.

A reminder that Politics & Debate is a forum where it's okay for people to share ideas or have opinions that you personally find offensive. As long as things don't get personal or hateful, it's okay for someone to speak freely about what they believe. If you find something offensive, it's okay to share that too because it might educate other people in the debate. But if you find something upsetting or difficult to read (and it's not personal or hateful), it might be best to take a step back.

Also, if you're posting in Politics & Debate, expect to be challenged (sometimes very strongly). And people disagreeing with you doesn't necessarily mean they dislike you as a person.

It looks like everyone got involved with good intentions but things got a little too uncivil to re-open the discussion. There was an interesting debate to be had here, and hopefully what's left of it can still be educational to anyone else reading this. :)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
This discussion has been closed.