Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What big thing have you changed your mind on, and why?

JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
I've been thinking a lot about political discourse recently, and people are often criticised for changing their minds about things. There are obviously times where hypocrisy or 'flip flopping' on an issue is a problem, particularly when so many politicians seem to be doing it. Generally though, I personally think changing your mind is a good thing because it shows you've opened your mind to new ideas and new perspectives.

So what significant thing have you changed your mind on, and what convinced you?
All behaviour is a need trying to be met.

Comments

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
    The big one for me is probably vegetarian/veganism.

I spent a long time thinking it was ridiculous, without actually taking the time to break down the logic behind it. Eventually, I found there were some truths that were undeniable - the environmental impact of eating meat, the inefficiency, the (somewhat more subjective) cruelty of animal agriculture, and the list went on. I found myself in a position where it just made sense.

It seems pretty clear to me now that meat and dairy farming will either disappear completely in the future or at least it won't be the norm. Maybe cheese and meats will be available at premium prices or something, and become more a luxury than a dietary staple.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • lovemimoonlovemimoon Posts: 2,318 Boards Champion
    This is a really great question!

I changed my mind about my career path. I originally wanted to be an illustrator but after talking to the uni staff, I'm going to shift on psychology. It's nerve-wracking cos it's from one industry to another.
    I have little to no education on psychology so I hope it goes well!
  • AislingDMAislingDM Moderator Posts: 1,666 Extreme Poster
    That sounds like such an exciting, albeit daunting too, experience for you @lovemimoon !! It defo makes sense to feel anxious about switching it up but it sounds like Psychology is something that is important to you and when you enjoy something, getting stuck into learning can be that little bit easier <3 I can't wait to hear more about how it goes.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Thank you, @AislingDM

What about you?? If you don't mind.
    TW: talks about food/weight in the context of unhealthy perceptions

Absolutely no worries @lovemimoon ! I love learning new things about people <3

I'd say that I've changed my mind on how I view food, bodies, weight and fatness over a long period of time. By this I mean that I defo struggled when I was younger with healthy food relationships and as I've gotten older I am trying to take words like 'healthy' and 'junk food' and stuff out of my vocab because a lot of it just reinforces moralistic views on fuel for your body. The same goes for body shapes and weight like learning not to care what's on the scales. On the whole I am much happier for these things!!! x

https://prevention.com/weight-loss/a36065492/rethinking-body-weight/

^ this article, for example, was really interesting to me.
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    @AislingDM - That's amazing to hear! I'm glad you're happier with the way you view food and body weights!

Welcome back to the boards, btw. Missed your positivity! :3<3
    @lovemimoon you're actually too adorable thank you for saying that!! I truly love it here, always learning and talking to new people is a great gift this website provides <3