Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Simpsons Not Using White People To Voice Non-White Characters Anymore: What Do You Think?

DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Just now I saw something on the news about how The Simpsons will only be using non-white people to voice non-white characters from now on. I wonder who else has seen that thing on the news and what they think of it. If you want to explain more about your decision then feel free to comment down below about it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-53201667 Here it is
"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
"The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
"I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 

Simpsons Not Using White People To Voice Non-White Characters Anymore: What Do You Think? 15 votes

It was a great idea
40%
independent_DancerItaliachubbydumplingToniMel_ 6 votes
I guess that it is something that you can't argue against
13%
ZenPast User 2 votes
I honestly am not fussed
13%
ilikekites27_Tech_Addict_Girl 2 votes
Meh
33%
Past UserLaineGreenTeatkdogStarlight 5 votes
Other
0%
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Meh
    I think it's a good decision to allow non whites a better chance of having that voice and job 

On the other hand, Bart Simpson is voiced by a girl so it's been pretty standard that the voices are unorthodox.

Like Aidan I haven't watched it in years baring the few treehouse of horrors and classics like steamed hams 😂 

TLDR. I'm happy for other people, doesn't bother me much. Bring back steamed hams 😂

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It was a great idea
    I think it’s a good idea, I never really watched it mind even as a child so it doesn’t affect me much but it just makes sense to have ethnic minority groups voiced by members of ethnic minority groups.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,739 Master Poster
    It was a great idea
    I like the way everyone has shared their own opinions on this topic. Remember that all thoughts and opinions are welcome on here. :)
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    It was a great idea
    Lol. Does the news ever really make sense though? ;)
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Meh
    Meh. They are all very talented and well trained at different accents and voices. Many male voice overs are played by female.. 
    It was a great idea
    That is a very valid point @Aidan but some people might believe (particularly people who are of colour) that bringing in a variety of ethnicities for voices would actually encourage them to watch it. Some people might feel like The Simpsons is not The Simpsons anymore without the fan-favourite character voices though.
  • LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    Meh
    You make a good point @Aidan on the sad news front the voice actor who portrayed Cleveland has resigned as a white voice actor.

I know many people are upset it's really a confusing double ended sword where it's good to give black voice actors a better chance but you're also taking away fan favourites it's very tricky subject :) 

Maybe there can be some middle ground where new roles are cast by black individuals but some favourites stay? 

It's good to see a nice discussion about it :) 

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    It was a great idea
    That’s a very good point @Aidan, I think Laine’s idea of making it a rule for new actors but maybe keeping some of the favourites that have been there the whole time (if they want to stay of course) is a good one. But all new actors should be of the same group as the character?
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Most of the discussion centralises around Apu. A lot of ethnic minorities actually love Apu's character because they find it genuinely funny - they didn't really care for who was voice acting it. But this is a move is 'of the time' - there's a lot of attention focused on representation nowadays so it does bring it into line with that  
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Im conflicted.

If this course of action will fix a genuine inequality issue, then it is the right thing to do. Clearly there are historical racial inequalities where white actors using blackface in film resulted in fewer jobs for black actors. Is this still true for voice actors?

If not I think you have to be careful and pick your battles, else you may create resentment that will ultimately be counter productive to a legitimate cause of equality.

For example I saw a tweet the other day from an ex MP labelling Kellogg’s racist for having a monkey as a mascot for Coco Pops. A claim that was widely (and rightly) ridiculed - a case of social justice over teaching. 

Weekender Offender 
    It was a great idea
    Aidan said:
    Thinking about it with my morning brain (which is either really fresh or really slow I haven't decided yet :joy: ), are they trying to end racism on the show, by letting voice actors go, because of their race?

"How do we stop racism? Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man." 
    ~Morgan Freeman
    Yeah I believe that is a very valid point that you have. Racism isn't just aimed at black people although that is what most people might associate racism with but also white people sometimes have to face racism.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Kasa2103 said:
    Aidan said:
    Thinking about it with my morning brain (which is either really fresh or really slow I haven't decided yet :joy: ), are they trying to end racism on the show, by letting voice actors go, because of their race?

"How do we stop racism? Stop talking about it. I'm going to stop calling you a white man, and I'm going to ask you to stop calling me a black man." 
    ~Morgan Freeman
    Yeah I believe that is a very valid point that you have. Racism isn't just aimed at black people although that is what most people might associate racism with but also white people sometimes have to face racism.
    While it's true that anybody can be racists or suffer prejudice because of their race, there is little to no evidence of systemic racism against white people.
    Weekender Offender 
  • ItaliaItalia Posts: 220 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    It was a great idea
    Skive said:
    Kasa2103 said:
    Aidan said:

~Morgan Freeman
    While it's true that anybody can be racists or suffer prejudice because of their race, there is little to no evidence of systemic racism against white people.
    That's a great point Skive! :)

@Kasa2103This post here might help explain a little. It was written by @simran121 one of The Mix staffers and it explains some of the history behind racism, and why its targeted so much towards at Black and people of colour. Understanding the history and how we came to be where we are today can be a good place to start. :) 

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask - it's a safe space to do so. 

On the Simpsons actors using people of colour to play characters of colour...
    I think it's good that such a prominent show (that so many of us grew up watching) is setting a good example. My understanding is that it's a pretty big issue across the entertainment industry as a whole. So if it makes other people in the entertainment industry stop and consider who is playing their characters of colour - then that's only a good thing yeah. 

@Kasa2103 this is such a great thread! Thank you for asking the question and starting the conversation :) 
    Post edited by Italia on

“People who wade into discomfort and vulnerability and tell the truth about their stories are the real badasses.”
    -
    Brene Brown

It was a great idea
    Skive said:
    Kasa2103 said:
    Aidan said:

~Morgan Freeman
    That is a good point @Skive Thank you for your input.