Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Black Lives Matter

ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
Hey everyone, 

I wanted to start a thread regarding the Black Lives Matter movement. I feel for all of those who have received mistreatment just because of the colour of their skin, I feel for all of those who have been denied their simple human rights just because they aren't white, I feel for George Floyd and all those who have lost their lives just because someone believed that black lives didn't matter. 

I want to celebrate all of our black community members and to highlight that BLACK LIVES MATTER.

For anyone who wants more information about the movement or how they can get involved, here is a link the their website: 

You can sign the petition to gain justice for George Floyd here: 

Together we can change this prejudice and fight for Freedom, Liberation and Justice.

Alis propriis volat 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Signing it right now 
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I will be sure to sign, thank you for posting this @Eleanor
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,083 Wise Owl
    Thank you for starting this thread @Eleanor

I'll sign the petition right away :heart:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/

This link should take you all the petitions and ways that you can help 
  • ToniToni Deactivated Posts: 67 Boards Initiate
    Thank you so much for starting this thread! What a great resource!
  • BenMaBenMa Moderator, Staff Posts: 143 Helping Hand
    I've been following this news story excessively over the last week or so, and getting involved/helping out whenever I can!

Thank you so much for creating this thread. BLM!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    edited June 2020
    It's great to see that I'm not the only one on the boards following what's going on in the US at the moment, you're all such wonderful people! While it's important to stay up-to-date with the protests please all be careful about seeing any graphically violent images or videos there's a lot floating around out there.

Keep yourselves safe and remember Black Lives Matter!
  • DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,740 Master Poster

"There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Kasa2103 said:

No
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    This is how I see the whole "all lives matter" and why I disagree with the statement. This has been floating around social media the past week

The " all lives matter" makes it seems ignorance to the racism happening and taking away the whole movement of it. I feel like people who aay this just dont know why shouldnt be said. Cause i do see why people would say "all lives matter". As white people can still experience racism. Tbh the pharse could be better like "make black lives matter" But " all lives matter" shouldnt be said in this context. And we are not talking about all lives matter.  And ignoring the fact people are trying to stop racism. 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    @Eleanor thank you for sharing the rest of that image. I've only ever come across the first row so I had no idea there was more to it
    Im confused why has ant and dec apoligised for impersonality people of colour. I think i know what eposide it was and they went undercover pretending to be someone else and they had colour. And they took it down for the people who was offended. I am so comfused. Why is that offensive.  So what about white chicks film. Or does it not count when it is the other way round. I dont need to feel scared of everything we say or do. 
    impersonating*

(Cant edit over)
  • ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Shaunie I haven't seen these segments myself but I think it might be because of the way black people are portrayed, for example in the past white people would act as black people in comedy shows to make comedy out of slavery. 

Here is a link that covers the problems of this: https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/why-is-blackface-offensive-halloween-costume

Even if Ant and Dec didn't do anything inappropriate whilst portraying people of colour, it is likely they are apologising out of respect and to show that they weren't doing it for the wrong reasons. 

Hope that helps! :) 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Times moved on tho. I think the world is going a bit mad to feel the need to remove stuff like that
    It's really frustrating me. Its making out like we have to be careful of everything we say. People are not knowing the difference between a joke and a personal attack. Ive never heard or read anyone ever being offended by such things
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster

I think the reason white chicks hasnt been slammed is because white people aren’t persecuted because of the colour of their skin. I guess It would be justified if white people and black people were treated equally in society but they’re not. So they’re at different starting points? The way in which white women are portrayed in the film won’t damage white people at all but take for example little Britain,  a white man dressing up as a black women using lazy stereotypical traits is damaging for black people because of what that causes. If people then think that black people are lazy that limits their job prospects etc. White face is not the same as black face because white people arent  damaged in the same way as black people are, white people aren’t victims in the same way because white people have never been disadvantaged purely on the basis of their skin colour. Other factors such as wealth, gender, sexuality etc yes, but not their race, especially not in the country or America. I guess they said sorry just because it’s wasn’t necessary and for some people it is offensive. I haven’t seen the episode so cannae really comment but You’re right that we have to be careful with everything we say... but if we’re kind to everyone always then there should be nae issues anywho

edited June 2020
    We shouldn't have to be careful with everything we say though. If wasn't being racist then wasn't being racist. But that dont means we still can't accidently offend someone. Like can ask someone " did that just offend you"  and apolgise  if did. But we are never going to be 100% sure everything we say is okay. Everyone is different Like some people are being offended by the term "back" because their skin is not it is brown and sometimes there isn't nice connotations with the word black.  But people shouldnt feel stepping on egg shells around everyone as just uncomfortable. 

Like we can laugh at ourselves sometimes. Little britan has been taken down cause of the colour side. I cant actually remmeber that part they mean. But what about all the other people they impersonated. Like teenage girl like lauran, the disabled, the gays, and vicky pollard. They inpersonated a wide range of people as humour but only the colour one is being seen as offensive. We should be able to laugh at these (or not)But its not a peesonal attack to people we know not everyone is like that. We know every teenager isnt like lauran. Its just funny 

Ant and dec was not even impersoninaty any one of colour they was just that colour and being undercover i think. But theyre too scared of anything so i think thats why they apolgised. Which is redicluse cause they could never offend anyone😂
  • Past UserPast User Posts: 1,997 Extreme Poster
    edited June 2020
    Aye and the racist, homophobic and sexist stereotypes in little Britain are damaging too.

There is lots and lots of information on the internet about why black face is offensive. It might help answer your question to read some of the history on black face and how it had initially started to make a mockery of black people.

I think celebrities stepping up and admitting that they were in the wrong Is a step in the right direction.

Changes need to be made and it is so nice to finally see them being made. It’s been a long time coming.

I understand what you’re saying when you said we can laugh at ourselves sometimes but black people have been systematically oppressed for hundreds of years, I understand why some don’t want to laugh and why they demand change. 
    edited June 2020
    Omg now inbetweens is getting taken down. Getting bit redicluous. Everyones getting offended by everything so might aswell take evevrything down now
    edited June 2020
    I can see where everyone is coming from I think but I also believe that white people may have a biased view point. For example, we may see comedy in these programmes for mannor of different reasons but someone watching who is black may see it completely different and offensive because of the inequalities they have faced in their lives.

I think it's like triggers for MH, one trigger may not be a trigger for someone else. The same way that some people won't see things as offensive as other people do. 

Alis propriis volat 
    edited June 2020
     reason why impersonating a black person is seen as inappropriate because black people have been mocked, ridiculed and humiliated for a very long time? When they are impersonated they are always done so in a stereotypical way making it okay for others to continue to mock them
    Yes I believe so @GreenTea
    Alis propriis volat 
    edited June 2020
    @Aidan That's a tricky one!

I think in a way that changing old content or making sure that no one sees it again is covering up history and makes it seem like black people where never portrayed in such a light. In another sense, they are doing it to be respectful so it could be difficult or near futile to try and find a middle ground because you'll never reach a point where there's mutual understanding and altruism across the census (at least in my opinion), you're always going to be upsetting someone.

However, I do believe that as shows are continued to be aired they should do so with respect and understanding of how certain affairs can have a profound effect on members of society, perhaps more training is needed for producers or script writers. 

In my opinion, I think what is happening now is something that is long overdue. When we talk about history some of the drastic changes were obtained by all of society coming together to inch closer to equality. Whilst people believe that this generation are just 'snowflakes' who are offended by everything, I imagine being a young woman 100s of years ago, would they be told to stop being so fragile when they are forced to marry someone they don't want to? Or were women called 'snowflakes' when they were denied a vote? There was most likely some insult thrown around whenever someone wanted social change because people didn't want to confront it. 

I'm going slightly off topic now but I don't believe that our generation are 'snowflakes' one bit. Would a generation of fragile young people go out and risk their lives to obtain equality? No. Yet despite all of the compelling campaigns and movements young people create to better society including the young people involved in BLM, someone out their will call us 'snowflakes' until it is a matter that they care about or one that effects them. 

Young people are the future of the world and always will be so I think it's important that we use our voice for BLM. When TV shows do age badly, it will be our job to pick up the pieces by whatever means possible, even if it does seem drastic. Although many TV companies have taken it in their own hands at the moment to decide that they do with old episodes, I think it could be a good idea to ask the public what they would like to be done with them. Should they be used educationally to show change in history? Should they be removed completely? Should they be left how they are? 
    Alis propriis volat 
    I'm also interested to hear what people's views are on taking down statues?

Do you think it should be done or do you think that it's destroying history? Or perhaps you believe something else? 
    Alis propriis volat 
    Bringing down statues just has them recovered and moved to a place of safety.
    The one in Bristol is being fished out and placed in a museum at request by the mayor.

They should never of been put up in the first place. The slave trade is a part of history, yes. Can we remove history? No. What happened.. happened and should not be celebrated or given credit, it instead should be used to educate others on how people were treated and how times have progressed
    I agree with you @Mike. Why should people involved with owning slaves be celebrated on the streets! 

I saw on Twitter some people debating about someone who had done mostly good things but they did have an involvement with slaves as well. They were debating whether the good would outweigh the bad, I can't remember who it was though. 

It may be better to include these people in a museum as you said but then I could just imagine the heart break black families may face when they go for a day out at the museum and a child asks their parents who the statue is off and why they have a statue and having to hear 'Oh he kept black slaves and have a statue made for him'. But then I guess it's the same reason why you can visit concentration camps - education. 
    Alis propriis volat