Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Let's talk about it: Current issue

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
edited June 2023 in Politics & Debate
I'm sure that many of you have been hearing about what's going on in response to George Floyds death. I wanted to create a space where people could ask questions about things surrounding the matter. 

Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    This is a really good idea Salix, great to get people talking about it :)
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
    edited June 2020
    Safe spaces to talk/ask about these things are really important - good shout. :)

I don't know if this is the sort of question you had in mind Salix, and obviously nobody speaks for an entire social group, but I'm wondering: what's helpful/unhelpful for allies to be doing right now?

Edit: to clarify, this is aimed at anyone who has that awareness; not just you @Salix_alba_2019!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited June 2020
    Just a PSA:

If you choose to protest, as many of them are happening across the UK, please remember and be mindful that covid is still a threat. Please try to social distance, stay hydrated etc. 
    If you are showing symptoms of the virus. Please do not attend a protest! There are many other ways your voice can be heard:

- Sign the petition!!
    - use social media as a platform to raise your voice!

Please look after yourselves. You are all important 💕

(If this isn't ok to post, please remove it. If anything needs to be added, you are more than welcome to ask the mods on @The Mix to edit it
  • Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    I believe that education is key and people are more receptive to receive information if it's one achieved through conversations :)

@GreenTea you're absolutely right

@Mike that's a really good question. Right now I believe the best thing allies can do is what @GreenTea has mentioned above and to have those difficult conversations with other non people of colour :) 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited June 2020
    Good thread idea!
    Post edited by Siena on
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I believe that education is key and people are more receptive to receive information if it's one achieved through conversations :)

@GreenTea you're absolutely right

@Mike that's a really good question. Right now I believe the best thing allies can do is what @GreenTea has mentioned above and to have those difficult conversations with other non people of colour :) 

I really agree on the education is key with all this!
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I’m not going to lie I do t really know much about everything g that’s going I. , obviously I now what happens to George floydd but beyond that I’m not quite so sure. It’s not that I don’t want to learn about it but hearing and reading about how violent some of these protests can end up I. Makes me quite anxious so I naturally avoid it , I know that majority of the all the protests aren’t Violent but it seems that the news just keep focusing on the violent ones which naturally I’m going to avoid reading about as they make me quiet anxious and upset.

Is love to learn more about what’s going on right now but yeah I’m. It sure now is the right time for me.
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    Don't be scared this platform is here so that you can ask questions so that others can explain things to aid in understanding.

The problem here is the use of excessive force on an innocent black man.

There are people in the world who have a superioty complex against minorities that use the police uniform to carry out these atrocities with no repercussions because the police force allows it. The foundations of the the US law and inforcement were founded on white supremacy. Once apon a time slave owners created the police force to go out and bring back runaway slaves that would later be subjected to violence. So this means that a person in a police uniform can abuse their power to target minorities and get away with it. The racist ideologies are still things which excist in the the force which why statistically speaking black people are more likely to be subjected to brutality from police compared to their white counter parts. Making George's case racially motivated and classified as modern day lynching. 

• JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,287 Part of The Furniture
    edited June 2020
    Makes a lot of sense @Salix_alba_2019 and @GreenTea. There's definitely value in challenging people on problematic views, especially if you're coming from a position of privilege, and being able able to have difficult conversations with people in an educational and non-hostile way.

@Shaunie, I wonder if it's a case of looking at wider statistics and thinking about racism in a different way? The way police treat black people in the US has been an ongoing problem for a long time and when you look at the patterns, the testimonials from people who have experienced this stuff, or even bodycam footage from police, it starts to look pretty clear that this is a racist issue. Maybe not always as simple as a police officer saying 'I hate black people', but in a systemic way - the way police are trained, the lack of accountability for police in the US, etc. You can even see it in the statistics for how often black people are stopped in their cars compared to white people. It boggles the mind.

Fair doos @Millie2787 - it's frustrating when the media focus on feeding the fear around this stuff rather than running pieces that try to empathise with the positions protestors are in or inform people.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Im sorry i did edit over cause got scared ah. But thank you @Mike @Salix_alba_2019 makes more sense now. Thank you
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,610 Legendary Poster
    I agree with @Millie2787 sometimes reading about the violence is really horrible so it’s good to have this thread to read the answers to others questions on it.
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
    @Millie2787 that's completely understandable and scary, your concerns are valid

I've seen innocent children, medics, and news reporters get hit with rubber bullets and tear gas. The rubber bullets are huge, they are not meant for the head yet multiple people have been subjected to it by police. On TikTok a lot of people have caught officers committing war crimes and inexcusable actions. 

When you see those people rioting that is all the pent up hurt and anguish coming out. That all those times they were discriminated against and moved on because they had no choice. Those are people who felt George's pain as he cried for his mum before taking his last breath. These people are vulnerable and these are people who are being antagonised and treated unfairly by the very people that are meant to protect and serve them.

It's a very scary time, it's very distressing 

@Mike Absolutely, racism is always as overt as using the N word. Racisms comes in many forms to show a person of colour that there is a lack of respect.

Aidan said:

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

This is absolutely true. My SO is white and so is the rest of his family. His neice just turned two and she absolutely adores me. When she's out the pram and walking she is adamant that she doesn't want to hold anyone's hand but mine. She brings all her toys to play with me when she doesn't even do this for her own uncle 💀
    Right, I want everyone to have a quick google search and answer the following questions.

Why is saying all lives matter is problematic and what does it really mean?

what copaganda and how does the media use this in damaging ways?
    @Aidan

you're absolutely right about the first one, I just wanted pop in real quick to tell you that "propaganda" was a typo ;)
    Why is saying all lives matter is problematic and what does it really mean?

• BenMaBenMa Moderator, Staff Posts: 143 Helping Hand
    Sadly, the phrase 'All Lives Matter' takes away from the fact that racism exists and still has a (fatal) impact on people of colour.

In my mind, it's the equivalent of having a 'Straight Pride' - because it takes away from the fact that people in the LGBTQ+ still experience homophobia.

All lives won't matter until black lives matter, and for that to happen everyone needs to chip in to contribute towards the positive social changes.

I hope everyone is having a good morning!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    My worry about these protests is whether they will actually amount to any change. Historically, protests succeed when the authority is open to the protestor claims, and it doesn't look like the American government is really open to that. Especially when you consider the small group of violent actors that the media focus on, that works against any hope of change considerably more. This is not the first protest for BLM, and likely not the last, but I do worry that we're going to have this same conversation again and again without anything actually changing. This is partly why people lose hope in politics - when you're having the same debate and conversation over and over without anything changing. Hopefully they can achieve change though x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman said:
    My worry about these protests is whether they will actually amount to any change. Historically, protests succeed when the authority is open to the protestor claims, and it doesn't look like the American government is really open to that. Especially when you consider the small group of violent actors that the media focus on, that works against any hope of change considerably more. This is not the first protest for BLM, and likely not the last, but I do worry that we're going to have this same conversation again and again without anything actually changing. This is partly why people lose hope in politics - when you're having the same debate and conversation over and over without anything changing. Hopefully they can achieve change though x
    @Azziman

Pssssssp it's working 

https://youtu.be/j937qjD3IuI

Ello @Aidan honestly there's no offence taken, feel free to ask anytime

- Yes, especially if protesting is not done the right way. I've seen a few and attended one that handed out masks to those who didn't have one and distributed hand sanitizer. Believe me they are encouraged to social distance and reminded that COVID is still around. 

-Absolutely! As POC  the stereotypes haunt us all and I know this from having first hand experience after moving to a predominantly white area to study my degree. It's amazing seeing people's tone and attitude shift when they hear me speak and find out what I study 🥴

-seeing the worldwide protests and support of the movement I beleive that things will change and have changed. I've seen some amazing suggestions in terms of education, designation of money and sanctions of people in the police who abuse their positions. 

Check this out 

https://youtu.be/j937qjD3IuI
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    I was unsure how I could help ... I wanted to go to protests but I have a massive anxiety and fear of large groups so I did some research  and ordered from a small business who is donating part of the product price to a POC charity. 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.