Home Articles
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Foreskin problems

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited July 2019 in Articles

imageForeskin problems

Is your foreskin stuck? Too tight? Red? Stinks? Or you just have too much of it? The Mix is here to help with your foreskin problems.

Read the full story here

Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• bruhironyman2004bruhironyman2004 Posts: 1 Just got here
    uh so im 14 and my puberty is a bit late and my penis hasnt grown to its full extent, my foreskin goes all the way round my penis and i tried pulling it back, i saw the head but my foreskin was scrunched up, is that a problem or do i just have to wait for it to grow a bit more
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster

Hi @bruhironyman2004

The article states that “There’s no medical need to get rid of excess foreskin – providing it slides freely over the head and the area exposed can be kept clean. Different people have different ‘amounts’ of foreskin and we’re all individual…”

So if you aren’t in pain when moving the foreskin and you are able to keep it clean, and you aren’t noticing any other symptoms, then your foreskin is unlikely to cause a problem.

If you’d like more support, feel free to sign up to our discussion boards https://community.themix.org.uk/ to chat with other young people.

Take care!

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • alex21alex21 Posts: 1 Just got here
    I’m 16 but what if I can’t pull my foreskin way back when I’m ready to have sex is that an issue ?
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,284 Part of The Furniture
    edited July 2019
    alex21 said:
    I’m 16 but what if I can’t pull my foreskin way back when I’m ready to have sex is that an issue ?
    Potentially, @alex21. Have you tried the suggestions made in the article? Particularly this bit:

Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.

If it's still an issue after that, or if you're experiencing any pain or discomfort, it's worth seeing a doctor for a trained medical opinion. :)

Welcome to the community, by the way.
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • gmodking6438gmodking6438 Posts: 1 Just got here
    I’m 14 and my foreskin is really tight there is like a 2 cm gap and I don’t know if I’ve left it too late because I’m too embarrassed to ask my parents

Hey @gmodking6438

For a tight foreskin, the article suggests to “Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.”

It can seem embarrassing to talk to parents or a doctor but really it’s nothing they haven’t come across before. If it’s bothering you then it’s worth talking about it and getting it checked out.

Hope this helps a bit!
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • jay3rdsidejay3rdside Posts: 1 Just got here
    I’m 15 and I have never pulled my foreskin back when I pull it back or touch my penis under my four skin it really hurts why is that

Hi @jay3rdside

Sorry to hear that it hurts when you pull back your foreskin.

The article states that “If you can’t pull the foreskin back over the widest part of your penis you could have a condition called phimosis…. Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.”

If you have other symptoms, such as redness and swelling you may have thrush, which can be treated by over the counter creams such as Canesten.

However, since we aren’t professionals, and you are concerned, your best option is to talk to your doctor.

• anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 1 Just got here
    My penis feels like its ripping when I pull my foreskin back to clean and for several hours after it is painful to urinate this has been a problem for about 4months now, it occurred after a night of intense intercourse, and am to insecure to see a GP about it
    Welcome to the community @anonymouse :) Glad you decided to look for some help.

You're definitely not alone with feeling insecure about seeing a GP. Most people feel a little embarrassed or uneasy about getting help with sexual health or other bodily malfunctions.

The good news is they literally have seen it all. Doctors talk to multiple people a day about sexual health and and other embarrassing things, and if anything they'll be glad you decided to ask about it.

If you've tried the things in the article and not had any luck, the best thing you can do is see a GP. We can't diagnose or help with any sort of accuracy over the internet, so that's your best option. :)

Well done for asking about it though - it's good to make sure you're looking after your body.
  • giraffe12giraffe12 Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hi, I’m 19 and recently I had sex and my foreskin went back over my head and I fell asleep with it left there. It seemed to have stretched a lot and now the tip of the head stays out without the foreskin covering it like it used to. Is this a problem or did just stretch out a lot and is fine?
  • megagylfiemanmegagylfieman Posts: 1 Just got here
    edited October 2019
    Hey, I recently started trying to wash under my foreskin, but I'm not having much luck. I can't pull it away from the penis enough to tip any water or soap in, and I have a massive fear of pulling my foreskin under the head. This is all while fully flaccid, as while I'm any sort of erect pulling the foreskin back very much hurts, and I can barely manage to pull it halfway. I'm also very conerned about the buildup of smegma as I think I saw some as I tried to pull my foreskin back yesterday. I've had sex a few times and both times it was painful as my foreskin was being pulled a lot further back than is comfortable. I'm wondering whether all this is normal, and would ask for tips on all this.
    Just in case it's relevant, I turned 16 in June.

I forgot to say above, on very rare occasions (maybe 2 consecutive days every 6 months or so), the very tip of my bellend and the foreskin around it sometimes turns red and stays like that for about a day. Is this bad?

And again, I forgot to say above that as long as I've known I have had a slight pain, or discomfort as I hesitate to call it pain, seconds before I take a piss. Is this related, and is it normal? Sorry for the multiple comments - I didn't realise you could edit comments before I wrote them and I don't know how to delete them

[edited to merge comments]

Post edited by JustV on
    Hey @giraffe12 and @megagylfieman - welcome :3

giraffe12 said:
    Hi, I’m 19 and recently I had sex and my foreskin went back over my head and I fell asleep with it left there. It seemed to have stretched a lot and now the tip of the head stays out without the foreskin covering it like it used to. Is this a problem or did just stretch out a lot and is fine?
    As long as there's no pain or discomfort, or anything else worrying you, this is likely to be fine @giraffe12. If you've read the article and you're feeling okay about it, you can probably relax. If you're still a bit worried or want a qualified medical opinion just to be sure, it might be worth checking with a doctor (we can't give accurate medical advice over the internet).

Hey, I recently started trying to wash under my foreskin, but I'm not having much luck. I can't pull it away from the penis enough to tip any water or soap in, and I have a massive fear of pulling my foreskin under the head. This is all while fully flaccid, as while I'm any sort of erect pulling the foreskin back very much hurts, and I can barely manage to pull it halfway. I'm also very conerned about the buildup of smegma as I think I saw some as I tried to pull my foreskin back yesterday. I've had sex a few times and both times it was painful as my foreskin was being pulled a lot further back than is comfortable. I'm wondering whether all this is normal, and would ask for tips on all this.
    Just in case it's relevant, I turned 16 in June.

I forgot to say above, on very rare occasions (maybe 2 consecutive days every 6 months or so), the very tip of my bellend and the foreskin around it sometimes turns red and stays like that for about a day. Is this bad?

And again, I forgot to say above that as long as I've known I have had a slight pain, or discomfort as I hesitate to call it pain, seconds before I take a piss. Is this related, and is it normal? Sorry for the multiple comments - I didn't realise you could edit comments before I wrote them and I don't know how to delete them

[edited to merge comments]
    No worries @megagylfieman, I edited your comments to merge them together.

Reading the article, it sounds like you might be experiencing either phismosis or paraphismosis. The article has a section on each of those so it might be worth giving it another read over.

The bottom line is that you should be able to slide it back and forth with no discomfort. Given that you can't and that you're also experiencing some discomfort or pain, it's definitely worth getting yourself checked out by a doctor (we can't provide reliable medical advice over the internet).

Whatever it is will be treatable and it's really good you're looking for help with it. :3
  • Anonymous123312312Anonymous123312312 Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hello, I'm 15, and whilst it doesn't hurt to pull back my foreskin as such, and i can get back but am almost scared to pull it all the way back over the head, is it normal to decide not to pull it back? Or is it something that is normal to do. I'm defo into puberty, and im 6 inches so i dont think its size judging by what the NHS say
  • himate12himate12 Posts: 1 Just got here
    I’ve been meaning to leave a comment on one of these post for a while... Up to the age of 19 years old I was unable to pull my foreskin back. I searched the internet with no luck and eventually seen a doctor. I didn’t like what the doctor suggested (getting the skin cut off my bellend) HELLL NAWWW.
    I instead went in the bath/shower once a day, each day applying soap and trying to pull my foreskin further back. It felt extremely sensitive at first but I kept to it - over a few days it got further and further back. Over some time I was then able to pull the skin over the tip. Due to years of masturbating it wasn’t the cleanest under the hood, so a lil clean done good. After a while my penis became less sensitive, now I’m 24 and everything’s great.
    I can still remember how insecure i felt (not being able to pull my foreskin back) and it impacted my confidence when speaking to girls, I only hope this helps someone in some way.

Doctors do have various other treatments available which may benefit you!
  • qwertyuiopqwertyuiop Posts: 1 Just got here
    I'm 14 and I can peel it back until almost all of the head is exposed, but as I peel it over the full head it hurts right behind the head. It's like my skin squeezes it and it does not let me fully peel it. (This is only when I have an erection, when it is normal I can easily pull it back fully.)
    edited January 2020

Hey @qwertyuiop

As the article states “If you can’t pull the foreskin back over the widest part of your penis you could have a condition called phimosis…Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.”

If you find that pulling back slowly doesn’t seem to help, or you notice pain or difficulty pulling back when you don’t have an erection, then it may be best to speak with your GP.

All the best!

• bobbybob21bobbybob21 Posts: 1 Just got here
    I'm 18 and I can't pull my foreskin all the way back I've tried for like a couple of days now and I got it half way I was just wondering if that means I'm okay or do I have phimosis??
    Welcome to the community @bobbybob21. :)

We're not qualified medical professionals and it's difficult to give advice based on a forum post, so I'd recommend seeing a GP if you've tried everything in the article and you're still having no luck.
  • thamixthamix Posts: 1 Just got here
    I can pull my for skin back all the way but it hurts and it looks like it swells up if it’s pulled back for too long. I can put it to its original state of course, but I want to have my for skin pulled back without it hurting.
  • EdwardEdward Posts: 2 Newbie
    I'm 16 and can't pull my foreskin back, a while ago I could comfortable pull it partly back but not over the widest part, now it hurts to try and my penis has a small cut on the foreskin so hurts to try and pull it back at all I'm not sure if I have phimosis and if I need to do something about it
  • EdwardEdward Posts: 2 Newbie
    I'm 16 and I can't pull my foreskin back, a while ago I could pull it partly back with now pain but not past the widest point. Now it hurts to pull back as I have a cut on the foreskin I'm not sure whether I have phimosis and if I need to do anything about it

Hi @Edward

Sorry it’s taken a while to get back to you!

If you have a cut on your foreskin, it may be that the cut causes the pain and once it’s healed, you may be able to pull your foreskin back without any pain. If the cut doesn’t heal or you notice other things like swelling and redness, you might want to get it checked out for signs of infection. If the cut heals but you notice that you still can’t pull your foreskin back then you may have phimosis. As the article suggests “Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.”

All the best!

• just2someonejust2someone Posts: 1 Just got here
    Okay so I am 17 and have just started to retract my penis and can do it (thankfully). But there’s a tiny part of my foreskin that is stuck to the head and it doesn’t seem like a typical skin bridge. I have no idea what it is but because of that, it hurts when I pull it back whilst erect(I can do it while flaccid as it doesn’t stretch that much ). I don’t know what to do about it or if this is normal.

Any help?
  • sonson45sonson45 Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hi sir I have a question. I can pull back my foreskin but when the penis is getting hard it really hurts me and the foreskin can't stay stable.

Hi @just2someone and @sonson45

Welcome to the community both!

It seems like both of you have similar issues seeing as you can pull your foreskin back normally when flacid but that it hurts when you try pulling it back while erect. You might want to try the suggestions in the article:

Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.

If this doesn’t help, and it is still bothering you, then you might want to talk to your doctor.

• willwill Posts: 1 Just got here
    Hi, I'm 16 and I've had this problem ever since I was born. I have never told anyone about it because for a while I thought it was normal and I'm too embarrassed now.

Anyway if I touch the forskin it really hurts, like REALLY hurts. It feels like I'm putting salt in a open wound and mixing my finger and swirling around in it. I dont really pull back at all. There is almost no pain when it's not pulled back but when it is its painful.

I do have autism and I've found things like my gums to be very sensitive when I brush my teeth which basically means it hurts when I do it. Is this the same case with my forskin?

Hey @will

As the article states “If you can’t pull the foreskin back over the widest part of your penis you could have a condition called phimosis….Try pulling the foreskin back really slowly. This will take a lot of patience (it may take a few weeks to build up to doing it fully), so don’t be tempted to yank it back. If your foreskin is very tight, it’s advisable to speak to your GP. There are creams available on prescription, but if these don’t work you might need a circumcision.”

You mentioned that you have autism and also notice other sensitivities such as pain when you brush your teeth. It is possible that you may experience more sensory sensitivities due to being autistic. However, since we aren’t professionals and can’t say for sure, then you may want to talk to a family member, your doctor or consult with other autistic people on forums such as wrongplanet.com

Hope this helps a bit :) 

• coolflare800coolflare800 Posts: 1 Just got here
    edited September 2020
    i think i have Paraphimosis it does hurt when i pull the skin behind the the head but it hurts when i get erect like that im also 17
    Welcome to the community @coolflare800. :) Bit of a late reply on this, but if you're still around, the article has a good suggestion of what to do if you think you may have paraphimosis.

“Paraphimosis needs to be sorted out if you can’t get it back again, so that might mean a visit to the doctor sooner rather than later,” says Dr Ranj.

And (spoilered for those of you who are squeamish) a description of what doctors can do.

A professional pair of hands should be able to squeeze out the fluid and return the foreskin to its original position. If it’s too inflamed, however, then the skin may be slit to allow the foreskin to return back over the head.

Once the swelling had subsided, and the incision healed, a circumcision may be advised to prevent it happening again.

It's worth noting that paraphimosis is more when the foreskin gets stuck. If you can move it but it's painful or tight, that might be one of the things mentioned earlier in the article, like phimosis, thrush, or some kind of bacterial issue. It's worth having a good read if you haven't already, and definitely consider checking in with a doctor if you're not sure or if you're in pain. :)