Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Saying no to an overbearing parent

Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
Hello all

My mother wants me to travel home because of the corona situation but I do not want to. I like my space and my independence here at uni. I have a job, I have my own space and I prefer being out of London.

I don't want to upset nor disrespect my mother from being disobedient, I just don't think home is the right place for me right now. I want to voice this to her the problem is that I've never outwardly said "No" to her.  I need to plan this in a way that will make me bullet proof to her tactics lol. 

I know she'll be angry, it's enevitable but I want a life free from scrutiny and my mothers controling tendencies.

Salix

Comments

• Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    You could mention that travelling right now is risky and not allowed because of the situation. Police are stopping cars on the road to check where they're going etc, so you have a valid reason not to go at the moment without lying. <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Sorry your going through that right now, she probably feels the need to protect you but hasn’t considered that moving could do more harm than good right now. 

You could tell her travelling is not recommended, and if you are still going to work that they need you there and you don’t want to stop working. 

You could say that it’s not up to you, you are following government advice , and if she has an issue with that tell her to write to the government. She shouldn’t blame you because you as you didn’t make the rules, you are only following them. Although she might try to blame you somehow, just keep circling back to it being a government decision not yours. 

It puts an awful lot of pressure on someone when their parents are overbearing and judgemental, it’s okay not to pick up the phone every time, it’s okay to say you are busy talking to a friend or working on something. 

You are allowed your space, you are an amazing, unique individual and you are always allowed to make your own choices, no matter what parents say. 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 
  • Options
    StephanieStephanie Moderator Posts: 1,084 Wise Owl
    Hey @Salix_alba_2019

Just want to echo what has been said :heart:

Hope you are doing okay. Sending hugs :smile:
                                   "Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times if only one remembers to turn on the light" - Albus Dumbledore 

"Like when I was down you just had that smile that made me feel like everything's worthwhile. Thinking of the day when you went away, what a life to take, what a bond to break, I'll be missing you"

FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    Salix_alba_2019Salix_alba_2019 Deactivated Posts: 1,646 Extreme Poster
    Thank you all for your input :)

I spoke to mum today and it went better than expected. I did feel a bit bad though and I could hear that she was a bit sad. I just need to remind myself why I made the decision to stay, I'll be back home soon.

salix
  • Options
    EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    @Salix_alba_2019 Im really glad it went well :) 
    "Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."