Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nothing to look forward to

independent_independent_ Community Champion Posts: 8,615 Legendary Poster
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
Is anyone else struggling with the fact that everything is cancelled?

My college is closed, everything I go to outside college is cancelled, I live rurally so if I wanted to go somewhere I’d have to get public transport...which would make me very anxious atm lol.

But the worst part is I just feel like I have nothing to look forward to. It’s all cancelled. I can’t go and visit anyone (and I’m in an LDR and we can’t even visit each other apparently). 

Does anyone else feel this affecting their mental health already?
“Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Well I was about to start my therapy soon, something I am working towards for months now, and I've needed for almost a decade. So that really sucks. I can be on my own just fine, but I get annoyed at people around me really easily.
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • Options
    Well I was about to start my therapy soon, something I am working towards for months now, and I've needed for almost a decade. So that really sucks. I can be on my own just fine, but I get annoyed at people around me really easily.
    Aw that’s awful, I know a few people who have had to stop their counselling or move it to video counselling, I hope this is all over quickly and it can start soon for you.

I don’t mind my own company sometimes, but all the time is a bit much! I like being able to talk to people, laugh with people, just keep busy and I don’t have that at the moment.

I can relate to getting annoyed with people - I can’t imagine who my family will cope in isolation ;) 
    “Sometimes the people around you won’t understand your journey. They don’t need to, it’s not for them.”
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    Exactly blooming well exactly! My school is open tomorrow and on Friday but closing until further notice after that.

1. No school (unless my mum counts as a key worker- aka NHS staff, police officer or delivery driver. She is a delivery driver but I don't know if her job counts so I could be off school for weeks or even months.)
    2. No gymnastics
    3. No trampolining
    4. No performing arts
    5. No volunteering
    6. Hospital appointment constantly being delayed
    7. Clinical Review being delayed (anyone who is curious can pm me as I don't want to explain it to everyone.)
    8. No singing lessons
    9. No ice skating 
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
    I've been struggling for the past 2 weeks lol I made a list of distractions here: https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3596230/self-isolation-distractions#latest

ive aslo done LOTS of cleaning, my sequin art and writing, basically lots of me time, which does get boring but its whats needed, thankfully im (hopefully) back at work tomorrow so will have a distraction with that. 
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
    @independent_ here the counseling will also be through calling, so I hope many people can be helped that way. My therapy can't be through the phone or video call so I'm hoping I can go in soon.
  • Options
    Kasa2103 said:
    Exactly blooming well exactly! My school is open tomorrow and on Friday but closing until further notice after that.

1. No school (unless my mum counts as a key worker- aka NHS staff, police officer or delivery driver. She is a delivery driver but I don't know if her job counts so I could be off school for weeks or even months.)
    2. No gymnastics
    3. No trampolining
    4. No performing arts
    5. No volunteering
    7. Clinical Review being delayed (anyone who is curious can pm me as I don't want to explain it to everyone.)
    8. No singing lessons
    9. No ice skating 
    Oh my goodness, you have a lot of cancelled things.

My swimming is all cancelled (training, competitions, etc) too. I do that 4-5 times a week so it feels like a huge bit of my life is missing.
  • Options
    DancerDancer Community Champion Posts: 7,788 Master Poster
    Kasa2103 said:

2. No gymnastics
    3. No trampolining
    4. No performing arts
    5. No volunteering
    8. No singing lessons
    9. No ice skating 
    Oh my goodness, you have a lot of cancelled things.

My swimming is all cancelled (training, competitions, etc) too. I do that 4-5 times a week so it feels like a huge bit of my life is missing.
    Sounds really hard. And I was supposed to be in a performance next Friday. That is cancelled too.
    "There's a part of me I can't get back. A little girl grew up too fast. All it took was once. I'll never be the same." ~ Demi Lovato
    "The way that I have found the light in my life is through the expressive arts because I know that I will be accepted for the way I am." ~ Me
    "I'm going to get strong again and see you soon. " ~ Anonymous 
  • Options
    I've been struggling for the past 2 weeks lol I made a list of distractions here: https://community.themix.org.uk/discussion/3596230/self-isolation-distractions#latest

ive aslo done LOTS of cleaning, my sequin art and writing, basically lots of me time, which does get boring but its whats needed, thankfully im (hopefully) back at work tomorrow so will have a distraction with that. 
    Normally I would love me time, but I hate not knowing how long it will go on for. Months of me time is a bit different lol.

Hopefully work distracts you :)
  • Options
    I already had my months of me time and quarantine. So lots of experience xd
  • Options
    @independent_ here the counseling will also be through calling, so I hope many people can be helped that way. My therapy can't be through the phone or video call so I'm hoping I can go in soon.
    Aw I hope so too. That must be horrible especially as you’ve had to wait so long already.
  • Options
    Last year when I finished my exams I basically spent 4 weeks in the house, it was ok if slightly boring - but the difference this time is that I basically have no choice but to be in the house. Last year I could go out if I wanted, go and visit people - I had options and now I don’t. Idk if trapped is the right word, but it seems an accurate description.
  • Options
    @independent_ like the thaught of not being able to go somewhere makes you want to go somewhere
  • Options
    @independent_ like the thaught of not being able to go somewhere makes you want to go somewhere
    It definitely does, I don’t know why.
  • Options
    HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Everything is cancelled but we will still have school work which will be even harder to complete. I'm going to feel trapped and I understand what your saying about your mental health already being affected but we all need to continue to look up and get through this. Keep trying to focus on the positives even through the darkest moments even though it will be hard. 

Love you all and wish you the best through these tough times. 
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    Heyyy everyone, 

I could suggest loads of different coping mechanisms etc etc, but actually this blog does it way way better. 

Told from the perspective of someone who has already had to deal with social isolation a lot in their life already, the insights are truly noteworthy. 

I hope anyone who reads it finds it useful <3 

http://www.bimblings.co.uk/2020/03/15/inside-a-guide/?fbclid=IwAR05RxcIXigW-B5VkFMbrg-blSLQXZ3e79sYyMs_3DWQ9pJgc3IIbgON98U

Would be very interested to hear people's thoughts :) 
  • Options
    Everything is cancelled but we will still have school work which will be even harder to complete. I'm going to feel trapped and I understand what your saying about your mental health already being affected but we all need to continue to look up and get through this. Keep trying to focus on the positives even through the darkest moments even though it will be hard. 

Love you all and wish you the best through these tough times. 
    Thank you, it seems a lot of people are feeling the same way - I thought most people would just be able to be positive and would remember that there will be an end to this (whenever that is).

I know what you mean about schoolwork being harder - I will have college work which I’ll have to do remotely which will be really hard as no class interaction or little asides from lecturers to help with understanding (one of my lecturers tells stories to help with his lessons).
  • Options
    @JamJar said:
    Heyyy everyone, 

I could suggest loads of different coping mechanisms etc etc, but actually this blog does it way way better. 

Told from the perspective of someone who has already had to deal with social isolation a lot in their life already, the insights are truly noteworthy. 

I hope anyone who reads it finds it useful <3 

http://www.bimblings.co.uk/2020/03/15/inside-a-guide/?fbclid=IwAR05RxcIXigW-B5VkFMbrg-blSLQXZ3e79sYyMs_3DWQ9pJgc3IIbgON98U

Would be very interested to hear people's thoughts :) 
    Thank you for that, I will definitely check it out :) 
  • Options
    AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,851 Extreme Poster
    Really want to stress how important staying in touch with friends and family online is, during a time where you may not be able to meet in person. Use social media, emails, calls, texts, Discord, whatever! Everyone is nervous, and reaching out and supporting one another is so important :)
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    @Azziman I agree, I’m so glad we have social media (imagine what this would have been like before the internet)! I sometimes hate reading about it all on social media but (especially on twitter) there are actually people tweeting about exactly how I feel lol.