Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self-isolation distractions

BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 3,590 Community Veteran
edited December 2022 in Health & Wellbeing
thought I would make this thread in case anyone else has to self-isolate cause I am bored! (also don't know where to put this to @The Mix help?) :lol: 
some things you can do when you're stuck at home are:

- self care (a face mask, bubble bath, do your make-up, yoga)
- organize or clear out your wardrobe
- learn something new
- update your CV
- do some housework you've been putting off (washing windows, mopping/hovering floors, disinfecting handles/touch surfaces)
- catch up on homework 
- watch your fav movie
- facetime your friends/family ( its important to stay connected)
- create a summer reading list
- put together a care package for someone else self-isolating
- try a new recipe 
- make a vision board
- do something artsy
- start a blog

feel free to share your own aswell :)

Mod edit: Covid tags added
' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• Options
    ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    Great ideas!

I would probably do these things:
    -redecorate your room
    -dye your hair
    -make new outfit combinations
    -walk in and clean shoes
    -fix any broken clothing or other items
    -learn a new language
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • Options
    Pretty much done all of these now 🙄😂 keep the ideas coming! 💖
    ' So I put a bullet where I shouda put a helmet, and I crash my car cause I wanna get carried away, that's why I'm standing on the overpass screaming at myself 'hey, I wanna get better''  
  • Options
  • Options
    Han93Han93 Posts: 309 The Mix Regular
    Love love love this post - giving me some great inspiration so thanks everyone :) This virtual tour sounds so cool @BubblesGoesBoo

I will definitely be doing lots of reading (already ordered lots of books of amazon) and I've found some good yoga videos on youtube just in case I have to self-isolate or my yoga class gets shut down.

I'm also going to do the spring cleaning I promise myself that I will do every time it hits March and never do it - going through all my clothes to decide which ones to give to charity/recycle/keep/repair.
    https://zoella.co.uk/2020/03/14/spring-cleaning-series-8-hacks-for-getting-your-wardrobe-sht-together/

I think keeping in contact with people is also so important so me and the people in my office have exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch 

Stay safe and try and enjoy having some extra time at home :)
  • Options
    ThePigeonsThePigeons Posts: 199 Trailblazer
    I'm gonna be ripped
    ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪɴᴅ ɪs ᴛʜᴇ ᴋᴇʏ ᴛʜᴀᴛ sᴇᴛs ʏᴏᴜ ғʀᴇᴇ
  • Options
    JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,312 Part of The Furniture
    (also don't know where to put this to @The Mix help?) :lol:
    It's looking like we'll have a COVID subforum up today bubbles, so we'll move it over when it's up. :)

Great thread btw!
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    Jigsaws 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    RileyRiley Moderator Posts: 991 Part of The Mix Family
    I think one of the biggest impacts of self-isolation is being stuck on your own without any contact with your friends. Thankfully with the internet there are a lot of tools at our disposal for group activities even if you're miles apart. Something me and my friends like to do is watch a movie together while all talking in a group chat, you just gotta sync the movie up on Netflix or wherever and let it play.

Video games are also a great way to have fun together when you're stuck indoors, games like The Jackbox Party Pack are especially good because only one person needs to own it for a bunch of people to play together. If anyone else has any ideas of games that make great social activities I'd love to hear about them!
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • Options
    GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Dying your hair wacky colours! Great distraction and if you aren't working or in school, it's good time to go crazy with hair colours!
  • Options
    JamJarJamJar Posts: 274 The Mix Regular
    I'm trying to learn how to juggle 4 balls, it's a good excuse to get me outside plus with my headphones I fully lose track of the outside world which is a nice break :) 

I have also started trying to meditate in the mornings. Before I start work (I'm working from home) I try and set aside 10 mins to focus on my breath and nothing but the present moment. Finding it quite difficult so far but I might start using Sam Harris' Waking Up app as you can email them to ask for a free subscription if you can't afford it - which I can't. 

Generally I'm sketching way more now, along with painting too. The next things on my learning list is to start learning Spanish again and to start learning the guitar. Who knows how either of those will go but got to try and keep things fresh! 

Group video chats are also so fun, especially on Facebook messenger where you can put on loads of different filters/play games. 

Best of luck to everyone out there 💃🏼
  • Options
    ConnorConnor Deactivated Posts: 508 Incredible Poster
    I second the group video chats idea @JamJar , or even through voice if you don't feel comfortable using a webcam.

I've personally been playing a few online games with friends, and that has helped a huge amount so far :)
  • Options
    HowDoYouTalkAboutItHowDoYouTalkAboutIt Posts: 54 Boards Initiate
    Ive currently started doing archery in my back garden. It's a good form of exercise and a way to let out stress and I'm fortunate to live in an area where I can do it
  • Options
    Disney+
  • Options
    SienaSiena Posts: 15,500 Skive's The Limit
    GreenTea said:
    Disney+
    What's good on there @GreenTea
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • Options
    ZenZen Posts: 1,989 Extreme Poster
    @Shaunie I downloaded it last night and it's great. It's got all of the Disney movies on it as well as some Pixar ones, its got all the old Disney Channel shows and original movies, all the Star Wars films, National Geographic documentaries and some other shows like Simpsons, Recess etc.   

Alis propriis volat 
  • Options
    Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,147 Part of The Furniture
    I made this tonight 

Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • Options
    Planting!!

Become a plant parent!
  • Options
    Easter related ideas:

-make Easter cakes
    - do an Easter egg hunt
    - design an Easter egg pattern 
    - watch some films
    - pay some games.
    - make those cheesecakes with Easter eggs!
    - make your own chocolate Easter eggs
  • Options
    Been making these today to send out to my penpals 😁 what have you all been doing today? 💖