Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Plus size model front cover of magazine. Right or wrong?

SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
edited October 2018 in Politics & Debate
Heyy

so like last month i saw a lot of discussion around wether this is okay or not. And am wondering what people on here think. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/entertainment/amp23004671/tess-holliday-response-criticism-cosmopolitan-cover/

I have anorexia and im all up for being confident in your body and for them to stop putting super skinny woman on magazines and stuff. But i think this front cover, is just as damaging as putting skinny woman on it. 

Ive read a lot of discussion on this and watched the interviews and i just still think its wrong no matter how they justify it. To me and probably others - the woman on a front of a magazine just says that this is what we should look like. Not once does the magazine say about this being unhealthy. She aint just a bit overweight. Obviously Being that fat is dangerous. comes with so much health problem. And obesity in children and everyone is so high that is a massive problem for the NHS so like why do we need that. I just dont get why cant we just put healthy weight people on it as promotes being healthy. 

The model says
 "my message isn't 'let's all be fat', my message is 'let's love yourself'".

I mean yeah we all need to love ourself & being happy while that size but also trying to lose weight to be more healthy is important.

And i find it interesting she says “Your mental health is far more important before you can worry about your physical health."  Mental health is so important. But i think mental and physical are both linked. So feel like that statement is irrelavent. Having eating disorder i am constantly told about how my diet can affects how i feel, no energy from no food causes more low mood. And i think if people are eating unhealthy stuff then that could affect how theyre feeling and sometimes eating shit can make you feel shit and exercise is also important for mental health. Which is something they dont really talk about in their discussion which i think is important. 

but just wondering if others think this should be on a cover or not? 
“And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
Post edited by Siena on

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited October 2018
    This is just my opinion i don't see the problem with it being on the cover , i'm glad she feels comfortable being 'plus size' and actually a lot of the time when you see 'plus size' models there like size 14 so to me that isn't a real plus size. 
    I can see its unhealthy and can lead to some implications in her life but if she wants to be like that then thats her choice
    I myself am pluz size , im 16 and in size 20 clothes and i have tried so many different diets that i cant seem to shift the weight 
    This helps me in terms of my body confidence and image as i think if she feels comfortable in her body than maybe i can be
    i would much rather see a woman of there natural weight than one that has been photo shopped here there and everywhere.

Most importantly  shes comfortable in her own body and to me that's what matters the most

[mention of specific weight removed by moderator]

Post edited by JustV on
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited October 2018
    Yeah i agree. And Im not saying that people cant be obese and be happy and be confident in their body. I mean yeah they can be models and what not. Eat what they like & stuff. Just dont think is something that should be normalised and celebrated. 
    its a bad life chioce and unhealthy. I know some try to eat fine but stil be over weight. But you dont get to that weight eating normal diet. And i can imagine somene who eats takeaways every night and is overweight to see the magazine and think “yeah its not that bad”. Over half of people are overweight
    And ive read a lot of comments that it is like putting soemone whos smoking on a magaizine and saying “this is my life and its okay”. Its unhealthy
    I just dont think should be on fromt cover as normalise it. if theyre going to put the model on front cover i think they need to empathsis that we need to be happy with who we are but need to try to get healthy
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
    I understand that but also by the looks of it it hers response to the haters - TBH i appulad her for being able to show her natural size with no care in the world - im pretty sure that a overweight person isn't going to look at it and think its normal - i can tell you now every overweight person knows that they are overweight and they need to lose weight so they know that its not normal 
    And i disagree with the comments saying its like putting someone on the front cover who is smoking 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
    But it never says in the magazine that its seriously not okay. Celebrating something that can kill you :/
    Shaunie said:
    But it never says in the magazine that its seriously not okay. Celebrating something that can kill you :(

Wouldnt quite goes are far as killing you - she defintley not at the the stage of life or death 
    well you dont see it saying ' Im photoshopped and not real' on the ones that are skinny ?
    edited October 2018
    Even her photo is photo shopped tho.

Morbitly obese can kil you. Enlargens the heart. Give you heart attacks and increase risk of skin cancer and so many other complications. You dont need to be old for that to happen

[turned into a bit of a rant, thats not completly relevant. Lol. sorry]

This is just something that interests me as when people talk about ‘body confident’. Everyone seems to start talking about having ‘curves’. Ive read a load of shit of talking about curves and where theyre actually doing the opposite and body shaming - skinny people. Ive even read “real men like curves, dogs like bones”. And i aint saying we should normalise being skinny.  But some people  can have anorexic weight, cant help their matabolisim and be perfectly healthy, & hate it. I hate my body sometimes when i become less deluded and realise my weight and see how skinny i am. And eating disorders aint just about looks and wanting to be the way i look, i guess same said with binge eating disorder.  But not having curves can be seen to be disgusting as “your man doesnt have anything to hold on” . And “curves are beautiful”   I have read all these shit quotes about “body confidence” when my anorexia head believed i was fat & needed to & then sudden realisation i would feel awful about my body from things ive read or seen on media

So i dont really get any of this. Kinda contradictive in my view. 

Like why is not okay to have skinny woman on the magazine covers but okay to have very fat woman. 
    Both damaging,  both unhealthy. 

But anywayyyy i am sure that the magazine is just trying to say we can be confident in our bodies. Which i completly agree with. Just dont think should normalise and think is importnat to be confident no matter what size but need to focus on health aswel. Thats all🙃

• ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    Feel like I'll probably get shot down here, but I quite like these kind of debates, so I'm going to dive in anyway! 

I agree that glorifying a seriously unhealthy weight that will cause this woman a tonne of health problems and probably lead her to an early grave is not the way to go. I equally don't agree with celebrating unhealthily thin models on the front cover of magazines either. I think it would be a lot better for everyone if people who are a normal, healthy weight were featured as models in magazines. Learning to love yourself is definitely admirable, but in my view this takes it too far. I'm not saying that I want her to feel ashamed of how she looks or that I think anyone has any right to take issue with her for how she looks. But I don't think either unhealthy extreme of weight should be promoted on the cover of a magazine and if I were her I would be wanting to lose some of the excess, not because weight has any bearing on your value as a person, but just for the benefit of my own health.
    Ariana said:
    Feel like I'll probably get shot down here, but I quite like these kind of debates, so I'm going to dive in anyway! 

I agree that glorifying a seriously unhealthy weight that will cause this woman a tonne of health problems and probably lead her to an early grave is not the way to go. I equally don't agree with celebrating unhealthily thin models on the front cover of magazines either. I think it would be a lot better for everyone if people who are a normal, healthy weight were featured as models in magazines. Learning to love yourself is definitely admirable, but in my view this takes it too far. I'm not saying that I want her to feel ashamed of how she looks or that I think anyone has any right to take issue with her for how she looks. But I don't think either unhealthy extreme of weight should be promoted on the cover of a magazine and if I were her I would be wanting to lose some of the excess, not because weight has any bearing on your value as a person, but just for the benefit of my own health.
    I agree
    edited September 2019
    I think the actual question is , does body positivty encourage obesity. I mean i dont think so but its facts people have been more overweight the past few years. I mean i like body positivity and all that but when they dont speak about health risks then its just as dangerous as showing skinny people. Think should have more health positivity. Not really enough of it. I like the barbie dolls that are not all stick thin cause not everyone is and makes people feel more comfortable but when hardly anyone talks about the health problems everyones gunna feel less bad eating shit when seeing its okay to be overweight. I still think v thin models over very obese models are just as dangerous. You do not get to her weight trying to be healthy and theres a difference between 'curvy' vs her weight.
    edited September 2019
    Yeah i agree. The magazine is to show she dont care about her "haters" its like yeah okay good youre comfortable in your body, everyone should be. But shouldtn they mention at how dangerous that much fat can be and making it sound like its okay to have all that fat when its not. I know people may be like " a lot of people are size but have an eating disorder BED" ... but id still say same thing. Annoys me
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Weight loss isn’t indicative of health. You can be very unhealthy at any size. Dieting is the number 1 predictor of weight gain actually.... weight gain is almost certain after following any diet... The diet industry is worth billions of pounds and profits on people’s shame and 1 in 4 diets actually lead to an eating disorder. We aren’t people’s doctor, what do we know about their health? Nothing. People need to stop pretending they’re so concerned about fat peoples health. BMI is not all that. Health isn’t some achievement based on some arbitrary number on the scales. We don’t sit and tell people in smaller bodies that they are a bad influence because they drink or smoke or restrict or anything.... because diet culture tells us that thinner is better. Thin is health. When plus size models are on magazine covers they are showing people that yeah you can still wear that skirt if your body is different or larger. Just because a plus size woman is on a magazine cover... doesn’t mean loads of women are gonna go yeah I’m gonna gain Loads of weight for fun... no... people are larger for many reasons and shaming them and telling them they should be hidden away just doesn’t work. In fact it probably makes things worse. Every fat person knows they are fat, they don’t need you to tell them. Food policing is stupid and what other people eat is none of our business.... I’m no nutritionist. Fat people should be able to wear nice clothes, they should be able to see what clothes look like on bodies like theirs etc without being shamed. 

HAES (health at every size) and intuitive eating are much better for you in every way and I’d suggest anyone look into it properly. It has been shown that yo yo dieting actually is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, osteoporosis and more. 

Basically. Everyone should love themselves and we should stop telling people to lose weight to achieve “health” under false concern for their health. 
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
    I agree with what @Jellyelephant  has just said especially about diet , I’ve done many diets over the years and after I put it all back on and more 

I don’t think it’s about saying hey everyone I’m overweight/obese come and be that with me , it’s more about normalising plus size models that haven’t been photoshopped or done some stupid fad diet to get to there size m because let’s face it we all look at models in magazines and think Ohh I wish I had there figure or I wish I had that thigh gap .
    Now If that was a play size model I don’t think you’d be going ohhh i want to be there size. As someone who’s struggled being in the larger end of the scales there’s so many things I feel like I can’t wear because I think I look horrendous or it clings to my “curves “ too much or my legs chaff and my thighs get sore and cut from them rubbing wearing a skirt but actually lh  you have to learn to embrace your size and not give a Fuck what other people think which I think is where plus size models in magazine come into play as they clearly don’t give a shit in what people think and I think if that person can do it then you know what so can I 
    In any part of the magazine does the model talk about her story, what it's like being that size? Is there anything about health risks or ways to overcome obesity? 
    @Adian you also make a good point here with this but this also works both ways , no “skinny” size model will talk about there’s story and how skinny can also lead to just as many problems as being overweight can be.

edited September 2019
    Obesity is a massive strain on the NHS. Can be healthy being fat. But while NHS is paying a lot more on it then i personally dont think its a good idea. Just like showing very stick thin model can be just as unhealthy. Im not saying they cant be models, they can. Just dont glamourise it on front cover like its okay when clearly not. 

If very stick thin models shouldnt be on it then very fat models shouldnt be on the front cover. But thats just my opinion
    edited September 2019
    Just wondering those who think differently & that its totally fine - if you think its okay for VERY thin models to be on front covers ect?
  • GreenTeaGreenTea Posts: 12,938 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    edited September 2019
    Deleted
    Post edited by GreenTea on
    How is she glamourising it? It’s literally a photo of her existing. She even says inside it’s not about telling people to be fat, it’s about loving self whether you are thin or fat or somewhere in the middle. This happens with plenty of things, for example there are plenty of celebrities on covers that have had plastic surgery.... they don’t write inside the magazine the dangers of it.... because they’re not promoting that... they just happen to have had surgery. Tess just happens to be fat... but it’s about loving self not about being fat. 
    edited September 2019
    Deleted
    But being fat can be a life chioce, not everyone who is obese has an eating disorder or cant lose weignt. Someone who is malnutrited then clearly something wrong and not a choice. 

people say very thin models cant be models on front covers because it glamourises it. So people who are naturally thin or even people who are also suffering from some illness can not feel comfortable in their body. Dont see many any very thin model on front covers much anymore. Seems like no body shaming turns into shaming skinny people
    edited September 2019
    But also being underweight is a life choice I think saying we’re a strain on the NHS is just utterly appalling and that’s really upset me attucally, so my mum having an operation to reduce her weight and save the NHS millions in the furniture is a strain on the nhs is she ? 

YOU SAY about shaming skinny people your shaming “fat people right now” also would be kind not to use the term fat as that can be quite offensive .

and attucally if you was to sit down now and talk to someone who is on the larger end about how they are that size there’s quite a lot of emotional reasons behind it 
    edited September 2019
    deleted
    edited September 2019
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/apr/04/obesity-putting-strain-on-nhs-as-weight-related-admissions-rise

Not just my words and
    Not shaming anyone. 

If dont agree thats fine but im not shaming anyone. Im trying to say fat vs skinny should be equal. Since everyone deserves to feel comfortable. When no body shaming turns into "girls with curves look better" just shames thin people. 
    What have i said to fat shame? Ive literally said everyone should feel comfortable in their body no matter what size about 5 times in this threa
    edited September 2019

Obesity is a massive strain on the NHS.”

I find this to be quite an igornant and very highly misinformed comment , what about the skinny people who have to see diaticiteans , be admitted to hospital after a fad diet went wrong etc
    Okay. Thats fine. But i didnt fat shame. Thats just kinda facts that ive read on the new
    If you are so concerned about the nhs I assume you also want to talk about how smoking, alcohol, mental health, the growing elderly population, the worried well and every other thing is a “strain” 
    edited September 2019
    Im more interest in weight. (Edited part & everything about weight. Which includes health)

No body shaming turns into shaming underweigjt people and it shows everywhere.

Post edited by Siena on
    edited September 2019

Everyone's body is different, everyone's body is their own and everyone's body is beautiful and nobody should ever feel put down by someone else over their bodies. We all can't be perfect

Many models are photoshopped to look thinner or curvier. That's also not the fault of the model. That's society we have created, a society were we push for the perfect body that doesn't exist.
    Shaunie said:
    Im more interest in weight.

No body shaming turns into shaming underweigjt people and it shows everywhere.

Yes, so you are interested in weight and not the nhs. So you don’t need to pretend you are concerned about the nhs. Just want to police peoples body and food intake 
    Thats feels like getting more personal. If dont agree thats fine. But imo i havent shamed on anyone. Sorry if read it like that. But ive clearly stated everyone should feel comfortable. 

will ask the mix to close this. But thanks for opinions just dont like feeling everyones against me just for an opinion
This discussion has been closed.