Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Give your feedback on the first draft of a Young Carers article!

CaitlinCaitlin Deactivated Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
edited August 2019 in We Need You

Hey everyone, 

We're writing an article about ways to cope as a young carer.

Our content team have created a first draft of this article, and are looking for your help in shaping this, before publishing it next week. In particular, is there anything you feel they have missed? 

We have attached it as a document, as well as putting it in the spoiler. 

You can comment your feedback below :)

All the best, 

Caitlin and The Mix Team 

Living as a young carer – ways to cope when things feel tough  

Being a young carer can sometimes be overwhelming – here are some tips on what to do to help you cope when you’re finding things difficult. 

Am I a young carer? 

You may be a young carer if you’re under 18 and you’re doing unpaid caring. This can include looking after someone who is sick or disabled, or someone who has mental health problems or issues with addiction. You may also be a young adult carer if you’re under 25 and caring for a sibling, parent or another relative or family friend. 

Being a carer can be difficult and lonely 

Firstly, if you’re a young or young adult carer – you're amazing. Taking care of someone is a kind and brilliant thing to do, and it can have so many rewards. You get to help someone you love; you learn loads about looking after someone and you can see how much your care has changed their life for the better. 

But caring can also be tough, lonely and stressful. If you feel that way sometimes – that's ok. 

What things do young carers struggle with? 

Anxiety  

Maybe you feel worried about the person you care for, or anxious about how other family members are coping. Money issues might keep you up at night, or you may feel stressed because you can’t keep up with your job or your schoolwork. 

Isolation  

When you spend a lot of your time caring, it can be difficult to make room for your social life. When your friends are out having fun, it can feel isolating, like you’re missing out and that other people don’t really get what you’re going through.  

Anger  

Although you love the person you care for, it’s easy (and totally understandable) to feel frustrated that you can’t have much “me time.”  You might feel like you just want a “normal” life and that can make you feel angry sometimes. 

Low confidence  

Spending a lot of time caring can affect your self-esteem, as you don’t have as much time to make friends and have down time. You might experience bullying at school because people see you as being a bit different, and this can knock your confidence too.  

How can I find ways to cope? 

Remember that it’s normal to feel like you’re not coping. Caring for someone can be hard and if you’re struggling, there’s no need to feel guilty. You’re not alone and there are lots of things you can do to help with the tough days. 

Here are some things you can do to help you cope: 

Talk to someone: 

When you’re feeling isolated, the best thing you can do is to have a chat with someone, so go and meet a friend for a cuppa and tell them how you’re feeling. There are also plenty of online forums and support groups you can join, like The Mix’s online community, and this one run by Carers UK. Speaking to other young carers who know where you’re coming from can make you feel less alone.  

Write things down: 

It sounds simple but keeping a journal can make a huge difference. It’s totally private and gives you a place to vent if you're having a bad day, or just want to have a good rant. Try writing down whatever’s on your mind. This can help you to make sense of things and get burning issues off your chest.  

Learn how to be mindful 

Mindfulness helps you to keep calm by becoming more aware of the present moment. When you’re starting to freak out, some simple breathing techniques can really help. Head to Try the Headspace app for some short, easy meditations and visit bemindful for more information on mindfulness.  

Do the things you love: 

Are you great at basketball? Could you spend hours painting? Do you love making up songs on your guitar? Make the time to do the things you enjoy! It will help to reduce your stress levels and make you feel happier and more like yourself.  

Taking some time out for a walk in the fresh air, or a long, hot soak in the tub can also be great for getting your mojo back. 

Ask for some support: 

There’s nothing wrong with asking for help if you’re finding things overwhelming. You could speak to a teacher at school or talk to your GP to ask for advice. At The Mix, there are several support services you could contact if you want to talk to someone about what you’re going through. 

Next steps: 

• Carers UK equips carers with practical help and advice. Meet others in the same position and get the support you need by joining Carers UK's online forum. 

• YoungMinds are the voice for young people's mental health and wellbeing. 

• Chat about this subject on our Discussion Boards

Tagged:

Comments

• Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    The link to the carers trust forums may need to be taken out as it’s for 18+ and a young carer will be under 18 :) other than that all looks good 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 816 Part of The Mix Family
    Its good, I'm sorry I have to type this, 

Am I a young carer? 
    This can include looking after someone who is sick or disabled, or someone who has mental health problems or issues with addiction.
    Is there away this could be shortened? maybe drop an 'or' maybe? 

Being a carer can be difficult and lonely
    If you feel that way sometimes – that's ok. 

Could you maybe add something on the end like '- that's okay we want to help?'

Its just an idea maybe the talk to someone and ask for support section could be moved one after another? 

I like the links I do agree with Aimee though. There are more sites that could be linked but they are your best chance as sadly i've had a discussion with kooth (part of xenzone) they won't speak highly of The Mix even though we speak highly of them. 

I am sorry if its brutal in any way shape or forum. <3
    Some people think I am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking.
  • Millie2787Millie2787 Community Champion Posts: 5,143 Part of The Furniture
    edited August 2019
    Also might be a good idea to link over to the Action for children page as I know they run some young carer groups in some areas aswell :) 
    Sometimes all you need is one person to believe in you , for you to begin to believe in yourself.
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 611 Incredible Poster
    I think this was really good!

I was just wondering if it's worth mentioning about how you can contact your local authority for young carers support groups? I'm not sure if it's the same across the UK, but where I am, once a young carer has been identified, a referral can be made to a young carers support group where the young person has access to a support worker and can go to clubs and attend events with other young carers. It helps to take a break from caring and also to get to know others in a similar situation. 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hey :)

I think it looks okay! I'd change the subtitles from italics, to larger font and perhaps emboldened - it looks better as a subtitle, and is clearer for a reader. :)

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
This discussion has been closed.