Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Post of the month - April (Part 2 of 2)

davcr0ckdavcr0ck Posts: 774 Part of The Mix Family
edited May 2019 in General Chat
Hey all, 

Welcome to post of the month part 2 for april, if you haven't seen part 1 then, go an check it out, It should be next to this one

Number 11 is Azziman's post in 'What makes you employable?' by Aidan 

Azziman said:
Hey Aidan!x

The most influential part of any CV is work experience. It's far better to have any experience, related or not, than none, that's for sure. With what you've said, you might not get what you like straight away, and to be honest that's what most of us will experience as well despite level of education. 
The best thing you can do now is get a job, even if it's not directly related to what you want to do, and work there for a while. If it needs to be part-time/flexible for your health, that's perfectly okay! That way, you can build your CV to become a more marketable employee. There's so much focus on competencies like communication and teamwork, but loyalty is incredibly important - firms won't want to hire someone with a habit of job hopping! :)

When it comes to your CV and cover letter, remember that you're selling yourself as a potential employee, so you have to convince the recruiter that you're the right fit for the role. That means really bringing out skills of your experience, even if it feels a little over-the-top. For example, stewarding football matches can be a great way to show off your communication, teamwork and organisation, as you are handling people and situations as part of a team. I know it might feel a little much, but being able to bring out those skills makes the difference when competing for a job. Whatever you decide to say, make sure you can back it up!x

In terms of what skills you'll need to show/develop, it depends on the sector/role you're going for! Are you looking for customer interaction? Are you looking to work with technology? Do you want an office-style job? Based on these, there will be plenty of example CVs and cover letters for the industry, so it's worth looking for the skills the role entails (called competencies in the professional environment). And when it comes to your CV and cover letter, be sure to show examples of when you showed these skills. For example, can you give a specific example within football match stewardship where you had to show a strong level of communication? Doing so will help your chances greatly! Then, looking on the company website (if applicable) for specific skills/competencies will help you to make the application more personal to the role and firm you're looking to apply for!x

In addition, if you're looking to get an interim/CV-building job before going for your desired role, then it's worth highlighting some required/key skills that you'd like to improve, so that you can find a suitable interim job that helps you build those. You can afford to be a little choosy around your skills!x
I've probably missed out some key info, but that's what I can think of from the top of my head. Hope that all goes well - I'm sure you'll do great! There's lots of advice and tips online as well (CV formatting, appropriate language, how to build CV better etc), so I'd spend some time researching online as well. A little time investment could make a big difference! Good luck - let us know how the job search goes!x

Much love <3

Number 12 is Laine's post in 'My parents are making poor financial decisions' by Aidan

Laine said:
Hey Aidan!

Sorry to hear talking to your Mum didn't work out so well.

I think she may have quite some investment in this house especially if it holds memories.

You sound like you are being left with a lot on your plate when they're gone and then still expected to help without much notice?

The perks of a steady job is you have more of an idea of when you're working and when you can take time off.

Independent work can be rather stressful and you don't need that whole you're trying to focus on you. 
Sorry to hear about the exclusion from the RAF and such but it's great to hear you want to be somewhere in terms of the fire service or search and rescue.

I've found a quick page about firefighting and what you can do to get in.  GCSES are generally enough but you can also take a course in public services, an apprenticeship, or volunteer with call handling or fire safety to get some experience. These are good options if you're into it :)

https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/firefighter#HowToBecome

Search and rescue is great in terms of helicopters and boats, you can still have a part in flying or being on seas and helping others which is close in terms of RAF and Navy(not the best,  but fairly close) 

The downside to this is search and rescue is water based(air and sea) And may not have many prospects if you don't live by the ocean.
That being said there is also lowland rescue by land, these people work on the hills or mountains with SUVs. 
Most search and rescue is heavily volunteer based but there are some paid roles especially if you're the one driving the vehicle or leading and have good experience.
You may just have to start out as a volunteer with another job in the meantime.

Sorry to hear things got a little tense but it's important to remember that it's okay to get upset or even a little angry.

We're all entitled to have our own lives and you should get to work on the one you want to build too. 
Wouldn't your dad still be able to work in electricals if you focused on you?

If work is rare and random then it seems only fair you get to work on something more stable and long term?  And if jobs are little and infrequent can't he manage? 

Sorry for the long winded reply,  hope some of it helped :)

Number 13 is chubbydumpling's post in 'Got an boyfriend and I don't know what to do.' by davcr0ck  (i did love your response to this but it wasn't me who nominated you)

chubbydumpling said:
Hi there @davcr0ck

It's great to see you reaching out for advice like this. I remember being similarly anxious about my first relationship with another girl. Since this is also your first ever relationship, it's totally understandable that you're feeling a little bit unsure about how to act.

I think it's wonderful that you can confide in your boyfriend about things like your mental health and past sexual activity. It's so important, especially at the beginning of a relationship, to communicate openly and honestly about your expectations. Don't put any pressure on yourself to have things worked out right away- relationships are always a learning curve!

Being with someone who isn't completely out can be challenging. Sometimes it's hard to strike the right balance between their privacy and your needs and desires for the relationship. Just remember to keep checking in with him about his comfort level. 

Good luck!

Number 14 is kathleen0172's post in 'how to support my friend who is self harming' by HazzyA

kathleen0172 said:
Hey @HazzyA

I think it's so nice that you want to be there for her :) And it's positive that she's going to counselling - really hope she finds that helpful.

I think one of the best things you can do for someone when they're struggling, is to well, be there for them:
· Tell them that they can always talk to you when they're struggling or need to vent.
· Be sympathetic and non-judgmental about the subject.
· Constantly bringing up the subject or doing so in inappropriate places (such as in front of a group) can be overwhelming, but ignoring it can make people feel you don't care - so I think being somewhere in between by checking in and asking how they are, calmly and without pressure, is a great way to show support. And of course, if they start talking about it, listen and talk willingly.
· Sometimes, they may want to just loosen up and have some fun for a little while. You could offer to just hang out and do some fun things (such as going to a park). But of course, you don't want to pressure them, so just casually suggest it and don't ask repeatedly, and don't do it when it feels like a bad time (like when they're upset).

Those are just some rough tips. Tbh, you sound like a good friend, and you're probably already doing all the right things.

How are you feeling about all this? <3

And finally, Number 15 is kathleen0172's post in 'Trigger warning - half rant and half about pressure and body image' by Kasa2013

kathleen0172 said:
Hey Kasa <3

I'm sorry you're feeling like this, and are insecure about your appearance :(

It's totally understandable that what your friend was saying is offensive and triggering to you. It sounds like she does have good intentions, and probably thinks it's a compliment. But I can totally get why it would upset you.

You and the Sexplain volunteer are right in that there's too much pressure. And you got me thinking: we sadly live in a society where being fat is frowned upon and insulted, and being thin is the beauty standard. In my opinion anyway, what's wrong with either? The only bad thing about really fat, is that it can lead to poor health (that risk's also there if you're really thin). Beauty-wise, though different people may have different personal preferences, all bodies are acceptable and beautiful - and I think all the unnecessary pressure and judgment is wrong, and needs to change.

I hope you got a bit of sleep in the end and that you're okay <3

Vote below your favorite post for this month in the pole. You can nominate a post by flagging it and then selecting report and then choosing "post of the month nomination" as the reason.

Love and hugs to your all and keep posting

davcr0ck

Love is love and everyone is accepting and can share their issues with no judge from me and I try to help 

Post of the month - April (Part 2 of 2) 9 votes

Azziman
44% 4 votes
Laine (my parents are making poor financial decisions)
11% 1 vote
Chubby
11% 1 vote
Kathleen (how support my friend who is self harming)
11% 1 vote
Kathleen (About pressure and body image)
22% 2 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster
    Great posts again ahah <3

And thanks for the nominations :-3
  • chubbydumplingchubbydumpling Posts: 487 Listening Ear
    Thank you for the nomination! <3
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,039 Boards Guru
    Congratulations @Azziman you've won Post of the Month! Your post will be featured in this month's Community newsletter :) 

Well done everyone for all of your lovely support on the boards too. Your support really does make a difference <3

- Aife

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,809 Extreme Poster
    Thank you all so much! After reaching the final list so many times, this is the first time I've won, so much appreciated! :D
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email [email protected] with questions or concerns.