Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm back, here's my emotional baggage.

EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
Been off the mix for a while but now I'm back.

I got a new job and to start with it seemed okay, but now I hate it. I work in schools and the students are horrible, I'll ask them to do the work and they will just laugh at me, make fun of the way I look or throw things at me. Its supposed to be a good school but it's clearly not.

When another teacher tells them the exact same thing they do it. I hate being there, some classes make me close to crying and I always have to stay behind after so that I don't get laughed at on my way out. I've told the other teachers and they don't care, I've added behaviour reports for students but no one cares. I'm looking for a different job but I don't know what to do, I always thought I wanted to be a teacher but I hate it. I'd rather just die than go back, I've said I'm Ill today and I've even spoken to the head teacher, all he did was make the students apologize. But they laughed while doing that too, he didn't care. 

I know some teenagers can be bullies or just a pain to deal with, but if they did or said any of these things outside of school it would be verbal abuse and I'd call the police. I've tried being nice, I've tried being relaxed but then I get complained at because they don't do any of the work. I've literally gotten to the point where I tell them exactly how to get a good grade and what to write to get marks and they still won't do anything. I'll let them work for 20mins then read out the answers and they still won't have written anything down. 

I hope my bus crashes so I don't have to go. 

I want to give up with this. 

But every tiny little thing in this world requires money and I need a job. 

I don't understand, I have really good qualifications that very few people mange to achieve. But I still can't get anywhere. All because they take one look at me and decide I look too young. I've even had interviews where people have pushed me as if I'm lying about my age.  

I want to go back to uni, all of my friends are still there and it's miles away from where I am now. I don't have any friends here.

I've had some calls from other jobs, but I don't drive so most of them I can't get to. I want to be learn to drive, but that costs money too. So it's like whatever I try I'm still stuck. 

Sorry my rant got a bit long. Thanks for reading it, I should have come back to the mix sooner. :anguished: 

I usually go back and check my spelling/grammar but I know if do that I'll just end up deleting the post.  
"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy." 

Comments

• Kathleen07Kathleen07 Posts: 1,938 Extreme Poster

Firstly, welcome back :-3

I'm really sorry to hear this. I can hear how stressful this must be for you <3

It's not okay for the students to treat you like that. It's bullying, and just because they're teenagers, that doesn't mean it's acceptable. A few years back, I got picked on a bit by kids around the area, and (even though it wasn't serious), it would make me nervous to go out - I'd be feeling really crap in your position.

Your feelings around being a teacher are reasonable. It's understandable you hate it and want to leave <3

Seems finding another job is really difficult. I was just wondering, I suppose you show them an ID, so that they know you're old enough? And although it may take a while, do you think you could borrow money, get a loan, or find some other way to earn/save money - so that you could learn to drive?

It's good to rant, so please feel free to do so here whenever you need to.

Stay strong <3
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Welcome back!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • ClaraOswaldClaraOswald Posts: 146 Helping Hand
    Hello @Eyepatch !

I'm really sorry to hear your problems. I know schools near cities are worse than more rural ones, so you might like it more (if you're not rural already) what I know from experience is that students prefer someone who is jokey, e.g if someone makes a rude-ish comment you laugh the first time, then if it carries on tell them it's not funny anymore. Also, people will respect you if you give out more punishments and make it fair to all students. If they don't write things down, just give them detentions and stuff.

Remember they may not all be laughing at you, sometimes it seems that way but someone might have just whispered something funny :)

Keep us posted! Hope it gets better x
    My feelings are bigger on the inside.
     "I do what i do because it's right... and above all its KIND" - the 12th Doctor 💕
    The joy is worth the pain.

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    Heyy

welcome back

i can hear how that can feel disapointing :(. Teaching does sound like a really hard job with a lot of patience. And i just wanted to highlight how much strength takes to try it out and be honest to the head teacher. 

I know this may not be of much help but sometimes career roles are not always what we expect - either because of the people, the place or whatever reason - somewhere else you may love it. You are not alone with that disappointment. My older sisters friend started as a mental health nurse few weeks ago and she is coming home everyday crying:(because she doesnt like the people or job

You said you feel stuck. I think you show a lot of resilience and coruage. And im wishing you all the best
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • EyepatchEyepatch Posts: 666 Incredible Poster
    Thanks @Shaunie , it helps to know I'm not the only one who picked a career path they didn't enjoy. 

I've applied to a few more jobs that are more closely related to my degree and I'm going to start making online things too, even if I don't make money online often it's still fun and adds to my portfolio 

Thanks for the encouragement :) 

"Sometimes we find ourselves stuck between choosing what is right, and what is easy."