Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Can I leave my home at the age of 16 years old?

SophieSophie Posts: 1 Just got here
edited January 2019 in Home, Law & Money
Can I leave my home at the age of 16 years old without getting in trouble? 
Post edited by TheMix on

Comments

• SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited January 2019
    Hey Sophie. & welcome to the site 

are you in the UK? If so you can legally leave home and this article says about it more https://www.themix.org.uk/housing/housing-problems/im-16-can-i-legally-move-out-of-my-parents-8069.html

& It says if you’re in danger then you can be made to go back home. & need to think about financial stuff. But is good to get advice of thinking of leaving home so young & to think about why you want to leave & if there’s any ways round it. And they have a link on that page for shelter support advice helpline if really want to leave.
    If not in the U.K. then I’m not too sure sorry.
    But hope you find the boards helpful for support too
    Take care & hope you stay safe 
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • ArianaAriana Posts: 193 Trailblazer
    I think you can legally, but finding anywhere to rent that will accept you at 16 could be tricky, they'll usually need a guarantor. If your parents or someone else was willing to act as your guarantor then it might be possible. Is there a particular reason you want to move out so young? I know parents can be a pain, but living on your own brings a whole host of issues with it too. Might be something it's worth talking to your parents or someone else about what's troubling you at home?
  • MaisyMaisy Moderator Posts: 617 Incredible Poster
    Hey @Sophie

@Shaunie gave you a very handy article on legally moving out at 16 (if you are in the UK). You might want to check it out. 

As the article states "If you’re 16 and over you can leave home without your parents’ or carers’ consent. You’re unlikely to be made to go back home unless you are in danger. It’s not usually a good idea to leave home before you’re 18."  So while we can't say for sure that you can leave home at 16 without getting into trouble, it's not really recommended as you may run into problems finding somewhere to live and having to be financially independent. 

Sometimes relationships at home can be difficult. You may want to see if it's possible to get family counselling or individual counselling for yourself to see if that helps to ease any tensions. If you need to get away from home (e.g. you are being abused) then it's best to make arrangements finding somewhere to live, perhaps by applying as homeless to your local council, or contacting Shelter 
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice 

If you are outside of the UK, you may want to look up the laws and social support in your area.

Hope this helps and please continue reaching out to us! 
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • DangerousDaveDangerousDave Posts: 5 Confirmed not a robot
    Hi @Sophie
    Am wondering what's led you to ask? It's anonymous here so if you feel you can, feel free to chat to us - we're here.
    DangerousDave.
  • sozforhappysozforhappy Deactivated Posts: 123 The Mix Convert
    edited January 2019
    Hey there

Yes it is legal to leave home in the UK at 16 but with parental permission unlike over 18. As Ariana and Maisy have said, leaving home at that age is truly not easy. There's loads of stuff to consider, like utility bills, rent payment, wi-fi, food, etc. It would be a good idea to get a part-time or weekend job as ur still in education age to support yourself financially at the same time. Although I tell you it still may not be enough to pay for all that. Maybe it's good to get a flatmate or rent a semi-independent flat, if that's comfortable for you? I'm 19 and long to move out myself but unfortunately not currently earning, my apprenticeship I'm doing has not given me an employer and I may be going to university for the next three years just in case of that (and still living at home whilst at uni cuz accommodation costs more😝). I know it's distressing and annoying to be stuck with ur family especially if they're constantly giving u a hard time but these things take loads of patience and resilience. Don't give up @Sophie, we all believe in you😉
  • SubrooSubroo Posts: 11 Settling in
    I think it would be difficult to support yourself at that age  I'm 15 and don't know how I'd cope! Its more difficult to get jobs or borrow money from banks unless you're 18 or over.