Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Shall we try 'grouped conversations'?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited July 2018 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

We're thinking of adding two new features to the discussion boards and we'd like to know what you all think. One of them is called 'grouped conversations'.

Right now, you can start as many different conversations as you like with the same person. They get displayed as separate PM chains in your inbox. Something we can do instead is group all PM chains by the person you're talking to. In the same way that Facebook and WhatsApp work, you would have one ongoing converastion per person.

Given this is a significant change  to how things currently work, we don't want to try it out without asking you guys first. Vote on the poll and let us know what you think. :)

Any questions, ask us below. We're also thinking of trying 'infinite scrolling' - to find out more about that, head here.

Cheers,
Mike

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Shall we try 'grouped conversations'? 17 votes

Yes, I'd like to try grouped conversations
76% 13 votes
No, I like them separate
17% 3 votes
Meh, do whatever
5% 1 vote

Comments

• LaineLaine Deactivated Posts: 2,762 Boards Guru
    This wouldn't apply to me so don't want to put my opinion really but if it's just trying I guess there's no problem as if it's not liked then it can just be taken away :)

🌈Positive thoughts🌈

"This is my family. I found it, all on my own.
    It's little, and Broken, but still good. Yeah. Still good." ~ Stitch

"Lately, I've been struggling with all the simple things in my life" ~ Cian Ducrot

"I don't know if it's because my heart hurts or I'm insecure" ~ Juice Wrld
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    I think it's a good idea. I've had it several times where one conversation ends up broken across different chats, so it's difficult to track what you're talking about!x
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    I prefer my conversations seperate, otherwise they will all concertina together like messages on some email accounts, and then it's an absolute bugger trying to locate them. :/
  • JellyelephantJellyelephant Posts: 1,869 Extreme Poster
    Yessss I really want this!!!!
    The sun will rise and we will try again 
  • SienaSiena Posts: 15,463 Skive's The Limit
    edited August 2018
    Hey

Really sorry - dont think think my opinion matters at this point because i think no

you got rid of the feature where you had a title for each convo- so feel like you may aswell add this instead, but kinda liked the title thing as knew what each different convos about

Though i have put No because the conversations aint like Facebook or Whatsapp -(content). I hardly use the message unless its with The Mix. But sometimes it can be for support stuff and i dont partically feel comfortable with the idea of someone speaking about something then -after awhile getting another message and see what was speaking about before and may bring up something again in their mind. Like actually even if its just a message with @The Mix . Like what if was speaking about something that happened in group chats or something - like id just prefer not for it to pop up again. 

Dont think that even makes sense
    “And when they look at you, they won't see everything you've been through. They won't see the **** that turned to scars that began to fade with time. They won't see the heartbreaking things that shook up and changed your entire world. They won't know how many tears you cried or even what it was you were crying about. They won't see how strong you had to be because you had no other choice. What they will see though is how compassionate you are because you experienced pain. What they will see is how kind you are because you experienced how cruel the world is. What they will see is how good you are because you've seen how bad things or people can be. The difference between you and your experiences are who you choose to be, despite everything that could have turned you cold and unkind.You are the good the world needs and the best of us.” ~ Kirsten Corley
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I haven't really had an issue with it, but I think it is a good idea to have all conversations with each person in the same place.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - really appreciate it. :) 
    Shaunie said:
    you got rid of the feature where you had a title for each convo- so feel like you may aswell add this instead, but kinda liked the title thing as knew what each different convos about

Though i have put No because the conversations aint like Facebook or Whatsapp -(content). I hardly use the message unless its with The Mix. But sometimes it can be for support stuff and i dont partically feel comfortable with the idea of someone speaking about something then -after awhile getting another message and see what was speaking about before and may bring up something again in their mind. Like actually even if its just a message with @The Mix . Like what if was speaking about something that happened in group chats or something - like id just prefer not for it to pop up again.
    Totally hear what you're saying here @Shaunie and this is a very valid point to make. This is certainly a concern for us and we'll be taking this into account, because we're cautious of inadvertently bringing up old discussions as well.

Our feeling is that, regardless, we could really do with a way of making inboxes easier to manage. Currently, conversations do pile up, and with no subject line it can feel a bit messy. This would be one solution to that, but we're also looking into a feature that lets us search our messages.

We're still working out the technicalities for both, but it's awesome to know we're largely in favour of giving this a go. More info to come when we have it. :) 

Cheers guys,
    Mike & the team

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • ahavenaahavena Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited November 2018
    O kinda lean towards a group

[edited by moderator]
    Post edited by JustV on