Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Shall we try 'infinite scrolling'?

TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
edited October 2018 in General Chat
Hey everyone,

We're thinking of adding two new features to the discussion boards and we'd like to know what you all think. One of them is called 'infinite scrolling'.

At the moment, threads are displayed page-by-page. With 'infinite scrolling', new threads will load automatically once you reach the end of the list - a bit like how social media feeds work. You would still get the option to jump 'pages' down the list if you wanted to search far back.

Given this is a significant change  to how things currently work, we don't want to try it out without asking you guys first. Vote on the poll and let us know what you think. :)

Any questions, ask us below. We're also thinking of trying 'grouped conversations' - to find out more about that, head here.

Cheers,
Mike

We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.

Shall we try 'infinite scrolling'? 14 votes

Yes, I'd like to try infinite scrolling
64% 9 votes
No, I prefer pages
35% 5 votes
Meh, do whatever
0% 0 votes
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Also, should be noted that the footer text (The Mix summary, cookies/contact info/terms of use links, and Language selection) will probably be moved elsewhere, otherwise you'll never be able to reach it!

This site isn't too graphic-heavy, so infinite scrolling shouldn't cause any crashes either, just as a heads up.

Good point @Aidan - I'd assume that it'd be fixed, like the major social media networks, to infinite scrolling only, but the mods can provide clarity on that.
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Aidan said:
    Infinite scrolling would help navigating for sure,  but maybe (especially new) people might scroll far enough down in time and respond to dead threads.

If it's implemented, would it be optional or would only infinite scrolling be available? 
    An interesting point, @Aidan. Something we'll take into consideration for sure.

It would be the blanket setting for everyone. It's worth noting that, as you scoll down, it would tell you what 'page' you're on in a box next to the scroll bar. You'd get the option to enter a number in there to skip forward or back to whatever page you want, so in some ways you get a bit of both. :)

Mike
    We're @Aife, @Ella, @Emma_, @Gemma, and @JustV - the staff team here at The Mix.

Our DMs are monitored Monday - Friday (10am - 6pm) with limited cover on weekends. We have a great team of moderators looking after the community outside of those hours to check in on any reported posts.

We're not able to provide support on this account. If you need support urgently for any reason, please call 999, go to your nearest A&E or contact Crisis Messenger by texting THEMIX to 85258.
  • *BananaMonkey**BananaMonkey* Posts: 5,462 Part of The Furniture
    I think that's a cool idea :heart:
    " And everywhere I am, there you'll be, your love made me make it through, oh I owe so much to you "
    " So I say thank you for the music, the songs I'm singing, thanks for all the joy they're bringing, who can live without it, I ask in all honestly what would life be? Without a song or a dance, what are we? So I say thank you for the music, for giving it to me "
    '' It's a beautiful day and I can't stop myself from smiling "
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    It sounds like it would make it easier to see older posts, but I use pages so that I know when a post is too old to be commented on. I think that infinite scrolling would mean that a lot of resolved posts would keep coming back to the top of the boards.
  • TheMixTheMix Posts: 3,040 Boards Guru
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone, and for voting on the poll. :) It looks like the opinion on this one is pretty split. There are also some issues with the styling that we've just discovered, so we've decided not to try this one out just yet.

We're hoping to keep having these conversations with you guys to fully explore our customisation options. :) Watch this space.

Thanks everyone,
    Mike & the team