Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Global Warming? Maybe not as we are expecting...

MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
In 30 year's time they say, Britain's summers could be like the south of France. By the end of the century, we could be as hot as Greece. This, they say, was what global warming could bring. But a growing number of scientists believe we could have our future climate completely wrong. This Horizon video (2003) reveals that a growing number of experts fear that Britain could be heading for a climate like Alaska. What I found most worrying is this video was published on You Tube in 2013, 10 years later, meaning we are already halfway though the decade the scientists have warned could bring. If they are right, our way of life that we are enjoying at present could dramatically and unexpectedly change within the next 10 years.

The reason I have brought this topic for discussion is from meeting an old man in my village indoor market today. He endured the terrible winter of 1962 / 63 - and said it could happen next winter, or very soon. The more I thought about this, the more I realised that we'd be pitifully unprepared for such a brutal winter. As for our technology, we could kiss its effectiveness goodbye.

Comments

• Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Whilst I don't doubt but we've accelerated the change, I wouldn't worry - it's a natural cycle, caused by cow farts and volcanic eruption, amount other things. The next ice age would happen anyway - we've just bought it forward. To.e to adapt or die. Darwinism at its finest - but we'll be dead by then. Teach your children survival skills, and how to hunt/forage for food. That'd be my recommendation.
  • MirabelleMirabelle Posts: 1,020 Wise Owl
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Whilst I don't doubt but we've accelerated the change, I wouldn't worry - it's a natural cycle, caused by cow farts and volcanic eruption, amount other things. The next ice age would happen anyway - we've just bought it forward. To.e to adapt or die. Darwinism at its finest - but we'll be dead by then. Teach your children survival skills, and how to hunt/forage for food. That'd be my recommendation.

You're absolutely right, and I my family and I have commenced learning survival skills thanks to a family friend who used to be a security officer and had trained with the US Marines. Foraging for food is no fun, but skills have to be learnt (she says while eating Bovril toast). :yum:
  • TheAprilFoolTheAprilFool Posts: 187 Helping Hand
    I definitely agree that climate change is having an effect. Does anyone else feel like winter is just getting longer and longer?
  • AzzimanAzziman Moderator, Community Champion Posts: 1,826 Extreme Poster
    Hi Belle!x

It's a common misconception that "global warming" means that everywhere will simply get hotter! The planet will get warmer on average, yes, but at different rates - for instance, the Arctic is set to be 8 degrees hotter by 2050, compared to a 2 degree rise in equatorial regions. But, the better explanation is that weather is becoming more extreme. Hot summers become hotter, there are more storms, wildfires and droughts, longer monsoons and more intense floodingx

Much love <3
    FAQ | How to report a post | How to report spam
    I'm a community moderator. I'm here to help guide discussions and make sure Community Guidelines are followed. I can't send DMs, but you can message @TheMix or email community@themix.org.uk with questions or concerns.
    Azziman wrote: »
    Hi Belle!x

It's a common misconception that "global warming" means that everywhere will simply get hotter! The planet will get warmer on average, yes, but at different rates - for instance, the Arctic is set to be 8 degrees hotter by 2050, compared to a 2 degree rise in equatorial regions. But, the better explanation is that weather is becoming more extreme. Hot summers become hotter, there are more storms, wildfires and droughts, longer monsoons and more intense floodingx

Much love <3

If you had watched the entire video, you would have a completely different opinion. The video was originally made in 2003, but published on You Tube in 2013. We are now 5 years on from that, so if the scientists on the 2003 video are right, then we could be in for a massively extended winter in the next 5 years. Summers won't become hotter. Not according to that scientist, but we will see.

@TheAprilFool I agree - our winters have seemingly become longer of late. We have a Davis weather station which has a long history of weather data going back two decades. The weather data was collected by my aunt, and doesn't look encouraging.
    Mirabelle wrote: »

If you had watched the entire video, you would have a completely different opinion. The video was originally made in 2003, but published on You Tube in 2013. We are now 5 years on from that, so if the scientists on the 2003 video are right, then we could be in for a massively extended winter in the next 5 years. Summers won't become hotter. Not according to that scientist, but we will see.

@TheAprilFool I agree - our winters have seemingly become longer of late. We have a Davis weather station which has a long history of weather data going back two decades. The weather data was collected by my aunt, and doesn't look encouraging.
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that. I was used to it raining throughout all of the seasons, and sometimes it was hard to tell when summer had started. However, this year it has snowed on and off even though it's supposed to be spring.
    I'm glad it's not just me who thinks that. I was used to it raining throughout all of the seasons, and sometimes it was hard to tell when summer had started. However, this year it has snowed on and off even though it's supposed to be spring.

Good of you to say so because I thought I was in the minority here. Indeed, our winters are seemingly getting longer. I live in the south of England, thankfully not up north where people have suffered so badly.

Teh_Gerbil recommended, we should teach our children how to forage, but IMO we should be the first ones to learn. What if...winter next year unexpectedly extends into summer? We'd all go out of our heads.

Good of you to say so because I thought I was in the minority here. Indeed, our winters are seemingly getting longer. I live in the south of England, thankfully not up north where people have suffered so badly.

Teh_Gerbil recommended, we should teach our children how to forage, but IMO we should be the first ones to learn. What if...winter next year unexpectedly extends into summer? We'd all go out of our heads.
    I live in the midlands and I wouldn't be surprised if winter started to extend into summer.
    I live in the midlands and I wouldn't be surprised if winter started to extend into summer.

I agree with you and this morning just read this science article from BBC News: Climate change dials down Atlantic Ocean heating system

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43713719

Interesting. :chin:

I agree with you and this morning just read this science article from BBC News: Climate change dials down Atlantic Ocean heating system

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43713719

Interesting. :chin:
    It does sounds like climate change has started to increase in recent years. I know that it changes naturally over time, but it still seems like people are having an effect on it.
    It does sounds like climate change has started to increase in recent years. I know that it changes naturally over time, but it still seems like people are having an effect on it.

Keep an eye on our weather, even make a diary if you want. It's strange and yet in Majorca the weather here is as normal as it always has been for the time of the year. Maybe the Mediterranean is too far south?

Keep an eye on our weather, even make a diary if you want. It's strange and yet in Majorca the weather here is as normal as it always has been for the time of the year. Maybe the Mediterranean is too far south?
    Maybe. I'm not really too sure. :chin:
  • JustVJustV Community Manager Posts: 5,288 Part of The Furniture
    The point is often made by climate scientists that this isn't a controversial idea in their field. Something like 97% of climate scientists agree that man-made climate change exists, despite the far more polarised news coverage. In that respect, the media's stance on man-made climate change isn't very representative of what's actually true and considered fact by qualified experts.

This is a pretty cool clip of Brian Cox debating the point with an Aussie politician on a Q&A show:

(Full version)
    All behaviour is a need trying to be met.
    Mike wrote: »
    The point is often made by climate scientists that this isn't a controversial idea in their field. Something like 97% of climate scientists agree that man-made climate change exists, despite the far more polarised news coverage. In that respect, the media's stance on man-made climate change isn't very representative of what's actually true and considered fact by qualified experts.

This is a pretty cool clip of Brian Cox debating the point with an Aussie politician on a Q&A show:

(Full version)
    It has always seemed to me that most experts believe in climate change, and yet a lot of people like politicians still argue against it. I'm not really sure why they would do this, other than that they don't want to put money or effort into making changes to reduce climate change.
    Politicians might have to eat their words if next winter unexpectedly extends into summer. Then there will be social disorder! Unless you're an eskimo used to a diet of seals and wotnot. :yum:
    Politicians might have to eat their words if next winter unexpectedly extends into summer. Then there will be social disorder! Unless you're an eskimo used to a diet of seals and wotnot. :yum:
    I wonder how much of the general population actually believes in climate change. The people I talk to about it make it seem as though it is just generally accepted, but I'm sure there are people who don't.
    I wonder how much of the general population actually believes in climate change. The people I talk to about it make it seem as though it is just generally accepted, but I'm sure there are people who don't.

Doubt if anyone is aware except meteorologists and I've only realised our winters could extend for having studied meteorology as a hobby. One thing is certain in our lifetime. A winter may unexpectedly extend when the sub-water channel dilutes on its way back up to Greenland, and nobody will be aware of the impending distaster because virtually everyone are replying too dangerously on technology. And not teaching their children to forage. I belong to a survivalist forum. It's run by lovely old timers, and they have a tremendous respect for my views as I do of their's. Imagine London freezing up, crops failing, the economy reduced because nobody can get to work. And the relentless sight of snow. And people will begin going crazy, depressed for seeing nothing but white.

The trains won't run. I'm on one now going through France. Time for sleep and warm sunny day tomorrow... make the most of our summers, Jannine. :thumb:

Doubt if anyone is aware except meteorologists and I've only realised our winters could extend for having studied meteorology as a hobby. One thing is certain in our lifetime. A winter may unexpectedly extend when the sub-water channel dilutes on its way back up to Greenland, and nobody will be aware of the impending distaster because virtually everyone are replying too dangerously on technology. And not teaching their children to forage. I belong to a survivalist forum. It's run by lovely old timers, and they have a tremendous respect for my views as I do of their's. Imagine London freezing up, crops failing, the economy reduced because nobody can get to work. And the relentless sight of snow. And people will begin going crazy, depressed for seeing nothing but white.

The trains won't run. I'm on one now going through France. Time for sleep and warm sunny day tomorrow... make the most of our summers, Jannine. :thumb:
    Thanks :) I'm making the most of the sunny weather right now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just got here
    Thanks :) I'm making the most of the sunny weather right now

Hi Jannine, I'm Belle's partner and apparently it's warmer in England where you are than here just outside Alcúdia. It's a sticky 19C right now and it's drizzling. Actually, rain is quite nice at night, but tomorrow not much warmer. I watched that video and thought how terrible life could become with so much snow and winters extending into summer, an unthinkable situation I'm not sure I can get my head around.

What is most important I feel, is live for the day and enjoy your time with friends and family while the sun is out lovely and warm.

Mandy :wave: