Hey Guys!

EstherEsther ModeratorPosts: 31
Hey Everyone , I am new to this, my name is Esther and I am interning at The Mix. I like shopping , knitting and going out with my friends and family. I have just graduated in my degree in History and International Relations. :>:rainbow2:;)

Comments

  • CharlotteCharlotte Posts: 227 The Mix convert
    Hello, welcome to the boards. Enjoy your time with the mix. 🐧🐧
  • AbigailAbigail Posts: 356 Rampant Poster
    Hey @Esther

    Enjoy and welcome. See you round (If i have to :p)

    Speak soon

    Abi
    Some people think i am unhappy. I'm not. I just approach silence in the world that never stops talking
  • BubblesGoesBooBubblesGoesBoo Posts: 1,611 Postholic
    Heey :wave:
    welcome to the boards! :hyper:
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 Fanatical Poster
    Hello Esther! :)

    It's wonderful you have joined the staff to help out, learning as you go along. Will you be a chat mod or a forum mod? Just curious. Anyway, it's cool you've joined and I hope you'll have fun with us.

    Wishing you all the best,

    Belle
    'If you think education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance'.

    - Howard Gardner
  • AzzimanAzziman Posts: 200 The Mix convert
    Esther wrote: »
    Hey Everyone , I am new to this, my name is Esther and I am interning at The Mix. I like shopping , knitting and going out with my friends and family. I have just graduated in my degree in History and International Relations. :>:rainbow2:;)


    Hi @Esther,

    Welcome!x

    Much love <3
  • RhysRhys EnglandPosts: 234 Moderator
    Welcome to the boards, hope you have a fun time interning ^_^
    “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.”― Bernard M. Baruch
  • Lucy307Lucy307 UKPosts: 242 The Mix convert
    Welcome :wave: congrats on graduating and on your internship :yippe:
    Treat yourself as you would treat a good friend
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 Fanatical Poster
    Hey @Esther

    My aunt-mum Wendi is a historian and asks are you going to continue in your study and go for a PhD? She is interested in what subject of history you studied and wants also to know if you intend teaching. Listening to Wendi lecturing at a university recently made me so lit that to her delight I'll be doing English history. It's a super subject.

    All the best and congratulations on your internship!

    Belle
    'If you think education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance'.

    - Howard Gardner
  • EstherEsther Moderator Posts: 31
    Mirabelle wrote: »
    Hey @Esther

    My aunt-mum Wendi is a historian and asks are you going to continue in your study and go for a PhD? She is interested in what subject of history you studied and wants also to know if you intend teaching. Listening to Wendi lecturing at a university recently made me so lit that to her delight I'll be doing English history. It's a super subject.

    All the best and congratulations on your internship!

    Belle
    Hey Belle , I am considering doing a masters in September , I did British in my final year of university so The Victorian Period and World War Two Britain and Reconstruction , however during my three years of studying I did a mixture of World and British History. I have considered teaching it is one option of mine , also I am glad that you really enjoyed the lecture and will study history it is so interesting. Thank you so much if you need any advice or tips feel free to make a thread and I will comment when I can.

    Esther
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 Fanatical Poster
    Esther wrote: »
    Hey Belle , I am considering doing a masters in September , I did British in my final year of university so The Victorian Period and World War Two Britain and Reconstruction , however during my three years of studying I did a mixture of World and British History. I have considered teaching it is one option of mine , also I am glad that you really enjoyed the lecture and will study history it is so interesting. Thank you so much if you need any advice or tips feel free to make a thread and I will comment when I can.

    Esther

    Hello Esther

    Thank you for replying. :)

    Aunty who is sitting with me says if you feel a calling to teach, then see if you can apply for funding at your chosen university for admission, eg. Sheffield University that currently has 100+ scholarships available, though there are many other universities open at this time of the year. Having achieved your Masters, then you could apply for government funding in teacher training, depending of course which political government is in power by then. :rolleyes: Aunty says your studies would take a very long time, but consider the high reward of getting the highest possible qualification. She has degrees in Neo-Classical Italian Art and English History; the Tudor Period in addition to the Recency Period. Her education was at Oxford, at Bart's and another university nearer to us. During the process of aunty's PhD studies she got to know art historian and television presenter Andrew Graham-Dixon. He is such an eloquent and highly knowledgable man. http://www.andrewgrahamdixon.com/index.html Have you see his TV progs lately, with Giorgio Locatelli.


    I've accompanied aunty to several of her lectures, and recently decided to take up history since I am most fortunate to have her teach me. What an opportunity, which I must take as soon as I get well again. My aunt is now my mum, and I'm so proud that she's taken me on. And when well again, I will do it because the fuse of my fascination is already well lit. :rainbow2:
    'If you think education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance'.

    - Howard Gardner
  • NikkiNikki Posts: 131 Two little ducks
    Hell @Esther, welcome to The Mix, and congratulations on your degree and internship! Nikki x :)
  • MirabelleMirabelle Owl Whisperer Kensington.Posts: 1,020 Fanatical Poster
    Hey @Esther

    Sorry, but my aunt forgot to add that while our present government are funding undergraduates and postgraduates with their teacher training (and it's been advertised on TV), ridiculously, many teachers are being made redundant as the National Union of Teachers (NUT) have been stating, so aunty says it would be useful if you had another job to fall back on. We need the income especially when saving for a deposit towards the downpayment of a mortgage, or have family that are dependent on income. So my aunt suggests if you can continue at university in getting funding for your Masters, and going on to apply for a PhD programme, at least you be able to have some part-time work to help make ends meet. But your internship here sounds wonderful and she wishes you well as do I.

    As for me, I'm looking at History as a major, starting with the British monarchy - Tudors and Stuarts of which I already have a lot of info on.
    'If you think education is expensive, try estimating the cost of ignorance'.

    - Howard Gardner
Sign In or Register to comment.