Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

What is Scientology ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cracking briggi... :thumb:
  • Options
    L Ron Hubbard wasn't too picky about his religous beliefs. before founding his own religion he was chums with Satanist Alesteir Crowley.

Years ago I read the decidely unauthorised biography of Hubbard and he came over as a hugely intelligent, but basically ammorral charmer...
  • Options
    That was very unnerving. Fucking weirdos, it's a cult. Everyone knows it.
  • Options
    Don't say the C-word :shocking:
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Snake oil salesmen, and morally bankrupt alleged murderers to boot.

It'd be a waste of time for anyone to do as much reading into Scientology as I have done over the past few years, but ever since they "recruited" one of my schoolfriends I have been fascinated by the way they essentially brainwashed her. Scary stuff. They have a fucking huge base in Sunderland and used to roam the streets when I was a schoolgirl trying to "recruit" the down and outs of the town. Pretty sick even when taken at face value, but when you are fully aware that poor unfortunate souls never rise in the ranks of Scientology and never benefit from the wonders and enlightenment and belonging it claims to provide for its followers... well then it's beyond belief.

Anyway, they're essentially a cult that preys on the weak by charging them extraordinary amounts of money (often relatively "extraordinary" as - like I said - outside of Hollywood etc their main targets are the vulnerable and weak-minded) to merely be accepted into the cult. That's not to mention the fact that in the blink of an eye ElRon's followers are happy to use extortion and threats along with numerous (all frivolous) lawsuits in order to harass any person who even dares to breathe dissent or even question what the fuck they're doing and how they're doing it. I have also read several reports of Scientology-issued death warrants, but obviously that is all fairly speculative and they do a better job of filling in the cracks and covering things up than a vat of Pollyfilla.

It differs immensely from other religions in too many ways to detail, the main way being the fact that their belief system and ways of "worship" are not out there in the public eye for us to examine and judge and rip to shreds or decide we might like to join. It's all cloak and dagger, to put it mildly. The reason I believe they do this is to slowly scam the feckless, dumb and uber-rich (or those wondrous beings that are a combination of all three) out of every penny they have in order to achieve some vague end result that is even now pretty unclear. The high profile celebrity members is a weird thing. Far be it from me to cast aspersions about Tom 'Thumb' Cruise and John Travlota's respective sexualities... but Scientology purported that homosexuality is curable in the same breath it told us that AIDs is a state of mind :yeees: That's not to mention the wonderful revelation - as spoken to us through the prophet Tom Cruise - that all illness psychological and physical can be cured by [ElRon brand] vitamins.

Scientology is a total scam, I'd laugh at all these fuckwits getting their wallets ripped out through their arseholes if it wasn't so sad and so scary. They actually seem to believe in the schizo delusions of their overlord. The idea of charging money is nothing new in religion but I've never encountered another circumstance where paying in a big wedge every week is mandatory. Maybe it could be compared to Catholicism during the times of indulgences, but despite my reservations about Catholicism I would still hesitate to compare it to this wholly cynical, mercenary "religion". It makes me furious.

Anyone who still thinks ELRon's "religion" is a viable option for spirtual enlightenment and a wonderful world on the second moon of Jupiter (or wherever they're all buggering off to) can't have read his book The Fundamentals of Thought. The book in which he relates to us such gems as "white people are more progressive because they crave more attention than 'yellows and browns'." If you're confused - as you should be - then let me explain, white people need to receive more attention, adulation and respect from people around them as the "yellows" and "browns" get sufficient attention from rocks and trees. Ah them thur simple folk...

Of course they would tell you that the reason I don't agree with Scientology and walk around all day with the mark of Xenu on my forehead is because I'm a body thetan and in need of an immediate audit. Take me to your leader etc etc ;)

Nice one Briggi. I live near that centre you mentioned. TBH having watched Panorama, they come across as complete tossers with something to hide.

Would love to do some more digging into them :D
  • Options
    Yeah, just watched Panorama and oh dear....Scientology sounds very creepy and strange.
    We have enough crazy religions existing anyway, to have Scientology recognised as an official religion would be very worrying and rather disturbing.
  • Options
    Don't say the C-word :shocking:

Why not ? It is basically a cult. Lets not beat around the bush
  • Options
    I know, I was joking really after that bloke on Panorama got so cross at the mention of "cult", that's all :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Lets not beat around the bush

There's a joke there somewhere :)
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    There's a joke there somewhere :)

Im surprised you haven't found it. Your like a sniffer dog for knob gags and double entendres :D
  • Options
    Hubbard was a science fiction writer as well, surely thats a clue to something.

*wow, and I thought matt stone and trey parker made that up*
  • Options
    Why not ? It is basically a cult. Lets not beat around the bush

surly no more a cult then any other religion?
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    surly no more a cult then any other religion?

To be fair, Christiantiy, as an example, doesn't charge you £100,000 to read the bible...
  • Options
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    To be fair, Christiantiy, as an example, doesn't charge you £100,000 to read the bible...

:thumb: Good point.

There tactics are so underhand. Following people around and attempting to discredit anyone who speaks out against them doesn't sound very religious to me. They are more like large corporates *cough - McDonald's - cough* who look to use their money to suppress criticism.
  • Options

maybe not but dont some christans beleave that you have to give the church 10% of everything they make?
  • Options
    They claim a 75% success rate for their 'Narconon' drug treatment programme (for all drugs)...what a wonderful discovery, seeing as the foremost drug treatment centers in the world have been unable to achieve this!

My only concern is that, having developed this miracle for the benefit of humanity, they now are charging for it and have it protected by intellectual property rights. I appeal to the good consciences of these people to please release this for the betterment of humanity and the liberation of all mankind.

:yeees: :yeees: :yeees:

Scary, duplicitous and exploitative. In Germany the Bavarian Interior Ministry even published a government leaflet warning Germans of the dangers of Scientology.

http://www.xenu.net
  • Options
    maybe not but dont some christans beleave that you have to give the church 10% of everything they make?

Thats an old tradition from the Judeo-Islamic-Christian triad; in Islam it is known as Zakat (for example), and involves giving a percentage of your income to ease the financial hardships of others, not just the Church.

Religions within this triad have variations on this 'alms giving'.
  • Options

Those people on the BBC doc were scary - the fact they can also command so many well know TV and movie people to show up for an interview is scary ...
  • Options
    3.30am tues 15th on BBC news 24

Friday 18th 12.25am BBC1 (signed)
  • Options
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Well they've never been on Songs of Praise :D

You watch Songs Of Praise to know that?? ;)
  • Options
    L Ron Hubbard wasn't too picky about his religous beliefs. before founding his own religion he was chums with Satanist Alesteir Crowley.

Years ago I read the decidely unauthorised biography of Hubbard and he came over as a hugely intelligent, but basically ammorral charmer...

Apparently, he did "practise" (from afar) with Crowley.

I found some of the correspondence between Crowley and the group in Pasadena interesting.

But what do you mean by "satanist" ?

(If you look at the history of the usage of that word, it has often been applied to heretics of a particular religion)
  • Options

Perhaps they don`t need to.

http://www.zenit.org/english/visualizza.phtml?sid=7818
  • Options
    And is it a load of bollocks?

I don't really understand much about them. The media seems to make them out as a bunch of loons. Is this the case?

I cant see why such high profile stars such a Tom Cruise and John Travolta are members of such a religion/ cult* (delete as appropriate). What do they have to gain by joining such a religion?

Anybody have any experience of the Church of Scientology, are they as nutty as a fruit cake as we are led to believe ?

:thumb:

No idea but i heard a clip from that paranoid show or what ever its called on Chris Moyles this morning about some journalist going off the head cos some scientology bloke wouldnt leave him alone
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    But what do you mean by "satanist" ?

Devil worshipper?

OK I'm not sure if technically Crowley was one, but he is common refferred to as one and I'm not going to look into his religous beliefs with enough certainity to be sure.
  • Options
    These duplicitous morons claim that 'psych-drugs', i.e: treatments for mental health problems, are harmful and sinister. Prozac, apparently is the great evil of our time.

Well Scientology - I have been on Sertraline Hydrochloride for 18 months now, having suffered with chronic anxiety all my life. It has improved my life immensely, and I am able to understand the chemical processes that occur and thus I feel more able to deal with it.

Promising vulnerable people miracle cures over which you have a monopoly with no credible evidence is morally below crack dealing. If they get formal religion status within the EU it will be tragic.

Take your e-meters, thetan levels and false prophet, and fuck off back to America.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    That's a very personal decision - at least, I think it ought to be.

There are shades of grey in every religion, and many denominations of Christianity, so you can't always say "Christians believe...". I know some churches do ask that you give 10% of what you earn (though there aren't really means of checking) and others just ask that you give what and when you can.

There are 2 things that mark Scientology out, as far as I'm concerned, from other faiths (notwithstanding the shady stuff, which is another issue):

1) You have to pay to achieve "enlightenment" - and not as a portion of your earnings, or an offering, but a fixed sum that prices most people out
    2) It was founded by a science fiction writer, who even claimed he wanted to make a quick buck...
    "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."
    L. Ron Hubbard, quoted in Readers' Digest
  • Options
    I know some churches do ask that you give 10% of what you earn (though there aren't really means of checking) and others just ask that you give what and when you can.

The church I grew up in recommended 10% of your income to charity (some of which was for the upkeep of the church and some to the charities of your choice). I think this was 10% before tax, though I've always held to 10% after tax, rent/mortgage and utilities
  • Options
    For those who are interested you can check out the 1967 interview with L Ron Hubbard made by World in Action - the last time in his life he ever allowed himself to be interviewed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_w-YWwC1lI