Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is Scientology ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding repetitive, have you got a point????

Only in pointing out your seemingly judgemental behaviour.

In your edit you repeat the narrator`s words
    What Hubbard said happens to be untrue. It's an unimportant detail but he's had 3 wives. He did have a second wife, Sarah Northrup Hubbard, from whom he was divorced on the 12th of June, 1951. He has at least 3 other children. What is important is that his followers were there as he lied, but no matter what the evidence they don't believe it.

Now I would suggest that what everyone quoted has said is "true", depending on what you consider "truth" to be.

My nit picking, as you condemn(?) it to be, is an attempt to establish your "truth".
  • Options
    If you don't agree that L Ron Hubbard had 3 wives, cant you just say that and shut up.

I would be a lot more willing to listen to you if you would accept other people might think differently.
  • Options
    I've got to agree, Seeker if you aren't interested in adding to the debate in a thread and instead just want to nitpick and harrass other posters then please don't post.
  • Options
    Agreed.

I spies me another Sophist.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    The available evidence suggests they were not,and I haven`t come across any that they actually met in person.

What is your imaginition telling you about Crowley ?

well to be fair i haven't really looked into it, i was just commenting on flash's earlier post...jim has a point though you seem to be playing a bit more than devil's advocate, are you a scientologist per chance? :p

as for what my imagination tells me about crowley, well it's no secret he was a satanist, so....if i had to guess i imagine he worshipped satan?
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    I've got to agree, Seeker if you aren't interested in adding to the debate in a thread and instead just want to nitpick and harrass other posters then please don't post.

Nitpick ? Perhaps, for good reason I would say.

Harrass ? I thought you knew me better. I spend most of my time on these boards highlighting such activity, as well you know.;)
  • Options
    If you don't agree that L Ron Hubbard had 3 wives, cant you just say that and shut up.

I would be a lot more willing to listen to you if you would accept other people might think differently.

I would say that I`m the one who is actually pointing out that other people might and,in fact, do think differently.

For you to fire that one at me suggests that I should humbly accept that I may be guilty of a lack of communication.

My response to your posting in respect of the "blatant lie" was a somewhat ill-fated attempt on my part to highlight that it may not have been.

You were appearing to condemn "Scientology" on the basis of one answer given to a somewhat hostile interviewer.

If you had some knowledge of the marital goings on of Hubbard in the late 40s you may have a little grin on you face (as I did) when he answered that question.
  • Options
    Well you've done a good job of ruining any discussion of this topic - and many user's are sick of it. If you continue to derail threads by continually turning threads from their topic to discussing individual details of a users post then it isn't possible for you to post here anymore.

How about you try posting for a few days without using the quote button, and giving your views on what is actually being debated? You might find it more enjoyable, and I'm sure it will mean a few of the users who no longer post in this part of the boards will return.
  • Options
    Agreed.

I spies me another Sophist.

I spy with my little eye someone who seems to throwing stones in a glass house if your POST 59 is anything to go by.
  • Options
    well to be fair i haven't really looked into it, i was just commenting on flash's earlier post...jim has a point though you seem to be playing a bit more than devil's advocate, are you a scientologist per chance? :p

as for what my imagination tells me about crowley, well it's no secret he was a satanist, so....if i had to guess i imagine he worshipped satan?

As I said to Flash, that term has often been used by religious groups to put a negative slur on heretics of their religion.

(Some would say similar to Hubbard`s "fair game" policy).

If you have any interest in Crowley`s "Satanism" you could start HERE
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    If you had some knowledge of the marital goings on of Hubbard in the late 40s you may have a little grin on you face (as I did) when he answered that question.

:chin: With the nitpicking and arguing over tiny points to avoid the main issue, you have got to be a Scientologist.

Well done you have successfully managed to stifle a sensible debate. Once again bit like a Scientologist.

:thumb:
  • Options
    JimV,

(Without the quotes) you have claimed a good discussion has been ruined.

If you read the thread in it`s entirety then surely you can see a lot of posts are pure mudslinging. ( Ask yourself would you allow that if say, the Jewish faith, or Islam was in the firing line )

There are a few, in my opinion, constructive criticisms. (FEW indeed)

I have responded to a number of posts that appear to my limited knowledge to be, let`s reluctantly say, incorrect in content.(Namely Flash`s and Senor Miguel).
  • Options
    :chin: With the nitpicking and arguing over tiny points to avoid the main issue, you have got to be a Scientologist.

Well done you have successfully managed to stifle a sensible debate. Once again bit like a Scientologist.

Calvin,

I`ll do my best to avoid condescension. Promise :heart:

You implied that :

Hubbard lied about his marital activities therefore Scientology is a load of bollocks. Q.E.D.

That`s a stretch by anyone`s imagination.

You call it a tiny point !

What would say is the main issue here ?

You started off this thread with what appeared to be an open mind on the subject. But did you, in reality ?

Did you already have your conclusion ready to post ?

The evidence seems to suggest that.

Then you label me "a scientologist" with negative connotations.

I concur that the ball is in your court to present evidence to the contrary.

Hubbard may be guilty of bigamy, but are you not guilty of bigotry ?
  • Options
    ffs

Have you even bothered to read anything Jim V has said. Its OK to have a different opinion, nobody is disputing that. However the fact you don't seem to be able to add to a debate but simply pick holes and talk about anything other than the original point is boring and turns people off.

Try showing people you have valid points which are your own opinions instead of just quoting others and say "yeah but how do you know thats the truth" "how do you know that happened" "where are you getting that from". If you have a point JUST FUCKING MAKE IT. :shocking:

Your not Jeremy Paxman, nor will you ever be. Open your mind a little and you might come across as less argumentative and willing to listen.

Thats the last I will say on this subject.

• Options
    Thats the last I will say on this subject.

Lies :D
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Lies :D

Haven't you got a cake to be baking ? :p
  • Options
    I have to agree re: seeker. I wish that for once you would clarify your own POV rather than just picking holes in other people's views - solidly formed or as open to enlightenment as they may be. You lack credibility because your posts are purely antagonistic and not remotely productive or conducive to discussion. I have to ask again, are you a clam?

If anyone has time on their hands and wants to have a bit of fun, go and read the online reviews of Dianetics on Amazon. I was rolling on the floor when I read them. I even bought a used copy for 1p to see how pathetic and moronic it actually was. I wouldn't recommend buying it though, it's always worth remembering that the people selling these books for so little are people you probably wouldn't want to give your address to. No joke.

The book [and in my view, the entire religion/cult/concept] is basically rubbish by a psuedo-intellectual sci-fi writer wannabe who had a semi-creative idea to create a spooky and creative religion/cult that could spin some serious money and exert some nifty mind and behavioural control techniques. He could've had a great career in Stephen King-esque fiction, shame he followed the tried and tested template of failing at one thing and then deciding to prey on the weak of mind and spirit to make himself the big man.

As for people being bigoted and biased against the clams, well it's little wonder. Though it's not bigoted to think that Scientology is a crock. Have you heard the embarrassing, out of touch and downright offensive way they act and speak among regular non-Scieno citizens (aka Thetans)? If I read of more person comparing the cool reception Scientology has had from the world to what happened to the Jews in WWII I might flip. I wonder if it's a new PR spin, if it is, I think they have seriously miscalculated. A lot of people who never gave the clambake a second thought before are likely to become very offended if they hear Scienos comparing their negative reception to the Shoah. Seriously... idiots. It's not even the point so much as the clueless way they speak to - and interact with - the outside world. They consistently take points which, at their nexus, might be valid... and they manage to phrase it in a totally offensive and repugnant way. If they simply made a comment to the effect of how Judaism seems to have a social/cultural aspect that extends beyond religious devotion and Scientology is sort of the same then the comment would have passed. But instead they have to bring one of, if not the most jaw-dropping episodes of genocide in the history of humanity into the conversation. When talking about XENU ffs.

So yeah, they are completely out of touch and haven't earned any of this respect we are supposedly supposed to afford them. As anyone who has ever seen the video of that actress screaming at some random director "what crimes have you committed?" (a favourite questioning technique of the cult that thinks everyone outside of it is a drug-addled criminal with no self-respect or restraint) and "have you raped a baby?" because he was wearing some smart-alec t-shirt with Tom Cruise and an anti-clam sentiment on it. It makes me shudder with disgust to think of it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    I have to agree re: seeker. I wish that for once you would clarify your own POV rather than just picking holes in other people's views - solidly formed or as open to enlightenment as they may be. You lack credibility because your posts are purely antagonistic and not remotely productive or conducive to discussion. I have to ask again, are you a clam?

If anyone has time on their hands and wants to have a bit of fun, go and read the online reviews of Dianetics on Amazon. I was rolling on the floor when I read them. I even bought a used copy for 1p to see how pathetic and moronic it actually was. I wouldn't recommend buying it though, it's always worth remembering that the people selling these books for so little are people you probably wouldn't want to give your address to. No joke.

The book [and in my view, the entire religion/cult/concept] is basically rubbish by a psuedo-intellectual sci-fi writer wannabe who had a semi-creative idea to create a spooky and creative religion/cult that could spin some serious money and exert some nifty mind and behavioural control techniques. He could've had a great career in Stephen King-esque fiction, shame he followed the tried and tested template of failing at one thing and then deciding to prey on the weak of mind and spirit to make himself the big man.

As for people being bigoted and biased against the clams, well it's little wonder. Though it's not bigoted to think that Scientology is a crock. Have you heard the embarrassing, out of touch and downright offensive way they act and speak among regular non-Scieno citizens (aka Thetans)? If I read of more person comparing the cool reception Scientology has had from the world to what happened to the Jews in WWII I might flip. I wonder if it's a new PR spin, if it is, I think they have seriously miscalculated. A lot of people who never gave the clambake a second thought before are likely to become very offended if they hear Scienos comparing their negative reception to the Shoah. Seriously... idiots. It's not even the point so much as the clueless way they speak to - and interact with - the outside world. They consistently take points which, at their nexus, might be valid... and they manage to phrase it in a totally offensive and repugnant way. If they simply made a comment to the effect of how Judaism seems to have a social/cultural aspect that extends beyond religious devotion and Scientology is sort of the same then the comment would have passed. But instead they have to bring one of, if not the most jaw-dropping episodes of genocide in the history of humanity into the conversation. When talking about XENU ffs.

So yeah, they are completely out of touch and haven't earned any of this respect we are supposedly supposed to afford them. As anyone who has ever seen the video of that actress screaming at some random director "what crimes have you committed?" (a favourite questioning technique of the cult that thinks everyone outside of it is a drug-addled criminal with no self-respect or restraint) and "have you raped a baby?" because he was wearing some smart-alec t-shirt with Tom Cruise and an anti-clam sentiment on it. It makes me shudder with disgust to think of it.

Nice :thumb:
  • Options
    this 'glass house', does this refer to my mental health issue or to me suggesting that they should remain within the USA?
  • Options
    this 'glass house', does this refer to my mental health issue or to me suggesting that they should remain within the USA?

Your mental health issue, I guess.

In post 59,you appear to guilty of the same thing that you are accusing the scientology organisation of.

i.e. dismissing their "treatment" without having experienced it yourself.

Maybe you have experience ?
  • Options
    THIS ONE IS FOR YOU,BRIGGI (be aware there may be people observing our intercourse)

Dear Briggi,

I was going to begin by making a claim that "antagonism" seems to be part and parcel of any debate. If it isn`t present then there`s no debate. The discussion would probably take on the look of a petition.

On second reading it occured to me that you probably mean "purely antagonistic" in a different way, namely the "attempt to annoy" definition. I will state for the record that I don`t recall any time when I have posted with that intention.

Now that may well be the result, but I would suggest that antagonism is in the mind of the antagonised, and that it is largely beyond the control of the alleged antagoniser.

As in all areas of my life, I attempt to remain polite and humble in my posts on this board. Check the evidence and report back to me if you find evidence to the contrary. You may notice it is me that is on the receiving end of ad hominem attacks. Any supposed negativity in the posts that I make in reply to someone are directed at the content and not the person.

Hopefully that is seen by you as my POV and not an attempt to pick holes in your post.

Let`s move on to the "clams".

I`ll attempt to explain why I find your question hard to answer. If you think of individuals as "things" then I predict you are running the risk of creating problems within your thought process.

e.g. let`s label Briggi a "nurse".

Does a "nurse" have an essence that can be measured with any modern instrument ? I don`t think so.

Does "a nurse" exhibit certain behaviours ? I`d say to some extent, yes.

Are these behaviours constant 24/7 ? Highly unlikely.

So, Briggi, answer me this. At what point does a "nurse" become a "nurse" and at what point does the "nurse" cease to be a "nurse" ?

You could repeat this exercise by exchanging clam for nurse, and seeker for briggi. What are the results ?

(Presumably my behaviour, as experienced by you, has shown signs of "clamness").

Let`s move on.

Much of your criticism of Scientology seems well founded in the posts you have made in this thread. I share a great deal of that criticism.

Some of my interjections have occurred because the equality theme that is championed by many on these boards doesn`t seem to have been applied here. I gave a couple of religious examples to show that some targets seem to be "fair game" whereas others are avoided.

Of course the list of coercive organisations doesn`t end with organised religions. Try to point that out and accusations come flying in from all quarters. I was trying to some extent to find out why some focus on Scientology.All the criticisms that have enraged you are prevalent throughout lots of organisations. I would also suggest FAR more dangerous to your well being (financial, emotional and physical).

An example: someone I know very well was recently asked to stop by an organisation for their version of a stress test. However this was far from voluntary. Experienced has taught the individual that failing to comply to the requests have serious consequences. The scary (?) thing was that this organisation already had numerous personal details, and only asked for confirmation. Their version of Ron`s lie detector ? Woe betide you if you give false information. At the conclusion of this interview the individual was given a choice of how to pay the agents of the organisation. The choice of NOT paying was mentioned but the consequences were very much highlighted.

Now, Briggi, which organisation would you criticise the most ?

As MoK recently pointed out in reply to me, many people FEEL like the organisation in question has benefits for them and that is why they accept the coercive and thraeatening ways.

I`m sure the same could be said for Scientology.

For the record I have NO affiliation with ANY Scientology organisation.

However, I have LESS distaste for them than many other organisations that I feel are far more threatening to my well being.

Sincere best wishes to you ( and yours ;) ),

seeker
  • Options
    You see, most of that you could of happily posted without having to pick at individual things Briggi has said - most of it would have been fine as a general point on the debate - and I'm afraid that your inability to understand the problem with the way you're posting is making it very difficult to see a reason for your continued posting here seeker.
  • Options
    I imagine the biggest punishment you could give him would be to disable the quotation marks when he's writing a post... :D;)
  • Options
    I still don't understand how my mental health issue relates to a 'glass house.

I don't have to have experienced (for example) the different results in AIDS treatment, between eating lots of fruit and veg and anti-retroviral drugs, to be aware that one is more effective than the other.

You give me any peer-reviewed evidence that Scientology treatments have a higher rate of success in overcoming mental health issues than standard treatments such as SSRIs and Cognative Behavioural Therapy, and I'll go for auditing.
  • Options
    Well, as it happens I was so impressed that I've thrown away all my anti-depressants, quit psychotherapy and stocked up on vitamins.

I have even made my own e-meter out of Coke cans and an old radio. I will happily run auditing sessions for anyone for a mere £10,000 per hour. First Stress Test is free if you by a copy of my new book; "Piccotherapy".
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    First Stress Test is free if you by a copy of my new book; "Piccotherapy".

And how much is the book?:D
  • Options
    And how much is the book?:D
    Only £15. Cheap at half the price.
  • Options
    There is evidence that incorporating the spiritual beliefs of a person, or being respectful to their norms and values when developing a treatment programme is beneficial (Source: MIND, 2004)

Scientology make grandiose claims relating to supposed miracle cures and such like, their language and discourse is highjacks scientific lexis as an appeal to some sort of perceived legitimacy. They do not participate in research in the manner in which most of the world knows it, and they certainly don't make their data available for peer review.

This would all be fine apart from the fact that this CULT uses these claims to dissuade vulnerable people from other treatments that may be beneficial. Recognising this as a religion in this country would be a grave mistake.

I'm not religious, not in the slightest; but I draw something of a distinction between Scientology and say, the Church of England. Scientology is a litiguous, oppressive and controlling structure, you only have to look at the way Tommy Davis acted in the panorama documentary - at least with Rowan Williams you'd probably get a cup of tea and a biscuit.

Their highjacking of holocaust is absolutely disgraceful and any legal system that permits the rewriting of history in this way is absurd.
  • Options
    In other news; It has emerged that John Sweeney has challenged Tommy Davis to a pie eating contest. Scientology was unavailable for comment.

_42921159_sweeney_pa203b.jpg
  • Options
    I did a little bit of research in the library and found this. I think posters may find it interesting. Took a little while to type out, but I hope you will find that it was worth the efort.

taken from Appendix III of;
    Wallis, R. 1976. 'The Road to Total Freedom - A Sociological analysis of Scientology' (Heinemann, London) pp. 263-264
    Executive Directive from L.Ron Hubbard (LRH ED 55 INT)

29th November 1968

The War

You may not realise it staff member but there is only one small group that has hammered Dianetics and Scientology for 18 years.
    The press attacks, the public upsets you receive and all those you have received for all your time in Scientology were generated by this one group.
    For eighteen years it has poured lies and slander into the press and government agencies.
    Last year we isolated a dozen men at the top. This year we found the organisation these used and all its connections over the world.
    They are as red as paint. Their former president was a card carrying communist and they have four on their Board of Directors, yet they reach into International Finance, Health ministries, schools, the press. They even control immigration in many lands.
    Psychiatry and ‘Mental Health’ was chosen as a vehicle to undermine and destroy the west! And we have stood in their way.
    They knew we had the answers. We were over $2,000,000 dangerous to them.
    That’s what they’ve spent to try and get rid of us.
    Well, today, the World Federation of Mental Health (which pretends to be part of the United Nations and isn’t) and their ‘National’ Mental Health organisations (which pretend to be part of each national government and aren’t) in every western nation have been spotted by us and proven to be the ones responsible.
    If a platoon of Russian soldiers landed in your country and started shooting down people, the military or the citizens would wipe them out.
    But if several regiments landed in small groups, with phoney passports, dressed in dark business suits, each one vouched as a professional doctor by the ‘best people’, they could (and do) select out everyone they wish to kill, get him behind closed doors in an institution and de-personalise or kill him.
    They have infiltrated the boards of education, the armed services, even the churches.
    They hold the wives or daughters of a great many politicians and keep them ‘under treatment’.
    They appoint Ministers of Health by pretending they are already part of the government.
    They collect millions.
    Their ‘technology’ is the same as that used by the Intelligence Services. Electric shock. Brain operations. These were used in Lubenka Prison in Russia but are not allowed on Russians!
    Anyway, this was the live wire we got across by being able to undo their effect on the west.
    None of this is fiction. There are too many dead men around for that.
    We have the goods on them and right this minute more art is being rolled up by us from more quarters than they could predict.
    We’ve made a beach head. We’re slamming in closer.
    You aren’t standing alone. There is more ammunition being flung at them right this minute than they could ever duck.
    They made a few gains. They could even make one or two more.
    But they made a bad mistake. They attacked us. And we weren’t even in the same line of country.
    For eighteen years we have had constant sniping at us all over the world. They did it.
    We’ve got to fight this one on through and we will.
    Think of what it would be like to have no such opposition!!!! My, how we would expand. And will.
    You just carry on your job well, do it very well. Keep the show on the road.
    Get the stats up.
    A lot of good guys amongst us are taking care of them. We are using only legal means all over the world. We don’t stoop to murder and rough house. But man, the effectiveness of our means will become history.
    It is a tough war. All wars are tough. It isn’t over.
    But if the enemy knew all that was heading in his direction this minute from how many quarters he’d faint.
    Let him lah-de-dah with the socialites and the ‘best people’ a little longer. Let him pose as part of the government yet a little while. And then he’s had it.
    Our error was in failing to take over total control of all mental healing in the west. Well, we’ll do that too.
    You never did understand his treatments? Well so the psychiatrist acts like a Russian storm trooper after all.

L.Ron Hubbard.
    Founder.