Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is Scientology ?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    piccolo wrote: »
    Well, I just watched the documentary. I would have shouted, too. But probably sooner.

And I saw that picket on Tottenham Court Road; I was impressed. Was going to stop and say something but I was in a rush. I can't stand the harassment I get off them when I'm on my lunch hour and trying to go to Tesco or something. I take back streets to avoid them.

Are these the people saying, come in for a free stress test, when you're trying to get to KFC, next to Warren Street Tube Station?
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Nee bother, after all I am a one-woman Scientology-hate-spreading-machine! ;) I just hope I don't get sued. Not likely, since they aren't at all a litigious people...

On an interesting note, it's us who get sued, not you ;)

But seriously Briggi - watch the youtube show I posted earlier for a fascinating view of the heart of sciencetology
  • Options
    Oops, sorry! :blush: Maybe I can create a code word for Scientology so I can defame them without anyone's financial jeopardy.

I did start watching the clip but our geriatric of a computer isn't playing ball tonight. I will def take a look at it, I am fascinated by xenuxenu.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    On an interesting note, it's us who get sued, not you

But what legal grounds do they have? It's not even recognised as a religion in the UK so you can say pretty much anything you want about it.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Oops, sorry! :blush: Maybe I can create a code word for Scientology so I can defame them without anyone's financial jeopardy.

Lunatic fucking cult?
  • Options
    LFC, so its the LFC outside KFC :D
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    But what legal grounds do they have? It's not even recognised as a religion in the UK so you can say pretty much anything you want about it.

Anyone can sue anyone - it's up to you to go to court and prove what they're saying is untrue or unfounded .. chances are though they have loads of members who are lawyers working for free or just loads of money to pay for lawyers and you can either defend yourself or shell out for a lawyer

.. Just the threat of going to court scares most people
  • Options
    my objection isnt their beliefs, my objection is their rewriting of history regarding say the holocaust, and how they treat their recruits, and how they charge extortionately

Any chance of you expanding those three objections ?

I`m unclear as to what exactly you find objectionable.
  • Options
    I picked up a copy of 'Dianetics - The Modern Science of Mental Health' in a charity book shop for 50p just for the crack.

Its self-consciously manipulative, pseudo-scientific Sophistry. In ancient Greece there were pre-Socratic philosophers called Sophists, who were concerned with how you bend truth and manipulate it through language. They concerned themselves with manipulation and charged fees for access to their supposed wisdom and insights.

This is exactly what this reads like, for example Hubbard casually refers to 'the field of Dianetics' and 'Dianetic research', and I defy anyone to identify this field prior to the publication of the book, or indeed find me any peer-reviewed research articles relating to this.

The way he uses and alludes to scientific practices is an implicit appeal to the perceived mastery of science, while at the same time he goes out of his way to make the reader acutely aware that he is the only person who really understands this stuff, prefacing the text with a 'how to read this book' section.

Don't take my word for it - read it for yourself, just please get it second hand from a source other than Scientology; do not give them your details and do not give them your money.
  • Options
    Are these the people saying, come in for a free stress test, when you're trying to get to KFC, next to Warren Street Tube Station?
    Goodge St., but yes.
  • Options
    I'd love to have a go of one, just to take the piss.
  • Options
    For those who are interested you can check out the 1967 interview with L Ron Hubbard made by World in Action - the last time in his life he ever allowed himself to be interviewed

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L_w-YWwC1lI

:lol: I have just got round to watch that full clip. I have to say I defy anyone to watch that and then say Scientology isn't a load of crap.

This guy blatantly lied about how many times he had been divorced/ married. Yet felt he could write a book entitled "How To Save Your Marriage" and sell it!

If you watch that episode of World In Action and still believe in this faith/religion/cult then you probably have been brainwashed already.
  • Options
    well if ron hubbard and alistair crowley were pals then it's not hard to imagine what kind of cult/religion scientology really is....
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    This guy blatantly lied about how many times he had been divorced/ married.

Did he ?

How are you so sure about that ?
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Did he ?

How are you so sure about that ?

Because in the clip he said he had been divorced/ married twice. When the truth was he had been married/ divorced three times.
  • Options
    well if ron hubbard and alistair crowley were pals then it's not hard to imagine what kind of cult/religion scientology really is....

The available evidence suggests they were not,and I haven`t come across any that they actually met in person.

What is your imaginition telling you about Crowley ?
  • Options
    Because in the clip he said he had been divorced/ married twice. When the truth was he had been married/ divorced three times.

Where have you gotten your "truth" from ?
  • Options
    Where have you gotten your "truth" from ?

Its not my truth, its the word of L.Ron Hubbard in his book.

Its in the clip; watch it instead of just splitting hairs and arguing for the sake of it.
  • Options
    Sciencetology is famous for repetative questions, constantly picking on tiny points in their questions that undermine the people answer them - you a fan seeker?
  • Options
    Sciencetology is famous for repetative questions, constantly picking on tiny points in their questions that undermine the people answer them - you a fan seeker?

:lol: I predicted where that was going half way through the sentence.
  • Options

:lol:
  • Options

:lol: Hit the nail on the head there Jim

:thumb:
  • Options
    I have watched the clip.

I am splitting hairs, in a way, because you claimed that Hubbard "blatantly lied about how many times he had been divorced/ married" in the clip.

I didn`t see him do that.

Could you provide a timing, and I`ll re-check ?
  • Options
    Watched it again, and I think I see where you get the blatant lie idea from.

Around the 13 minute mark he is asked "How many times have you been married ?"

He says "Twice".

The interviewer asks "What happened to your second wife ?"

Hubbard replies "I never had a second wife".
  • Options

A fan of what exactly ?

Scientology/sciencetology ?

If by "a fan" you mean fanatical, then I hope not.

If I am fanatical about anything, it is an ongoing attempt to remain unfanatical about anything.
  • Options
    And you will have also heard the narrator tell the viewers that he is infact on his third marriage. Even those high up in the church are aware of this. He even questions someone from the church about it. This is what was said in the voice over

What Hubbard said happens to be untrue. It's an unimportant detail but he's had 3 wives. He did have a second wife, Sarah Northrup Hubbard, from whom he was divorced on the 12th of June, 1951. He has at least 3 other children. What is important is that his followers were there as he lied, but no matter what the evidence they don't believe it.

Not that I would want to nitpick :rolleyes:
  • Options
    And you will have also heard the narrator tell the viewers that he is infact on his third marriage. Even those high up in the church are aware of this. He even questions someone from the church about it.

Not that I would want to nitpick :rolleyes:

So you assume the narrator is factually correct ?
  • Options
    So you assume the narrator is factually correct ?

As opposed to a guy who believes Xenu introduced as an alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs.

:rolleyes: Yeah I believe the narrator and the other sources which state he had three wives.
  • Options
    As opposed to a guy who believes Xenu introduced as an alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth in spacecraft resembling Douglas DC-8 airliners, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs.

:rolleyes: Yeah I believe the narrator and the other sources which state he had three wives.

How about the "U.S. Law Courts" ?
  • Options
    How about the "U.S. Law Courts" ?

At the risk of sounding repetitive, have you got a point????