Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What is Scientology ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
And is it a load of bollocks?

I don't really understand much about them. The media seems to make them out as a bunch of loons. Is this the case?

I cant see why such high profile stars such a Tom Cruise and John Travolta are members of such a religion/ cult* (delete as appropriate). What do they have to gain by joining such a religion?

Anybody have any experience of the Church of Scientology, are they as nutty as a fruit cake as we are led to believe ?

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    I was wondering this the other day. There was someone on News 24 banging on about it but wasn't really listening.
  • Options
    From what people say some sort of cult.
  • Options
    They believe that we are of alien descent, that's as far as I know. Who knows if they are looneys - it's no more obscure than most other religions.
  • Options
    Panorama is on about them tonight. They believe something to do with us all coming from aliens or some shit like that.

And the wonder why people think they are fucking strange :chin:
  • Options
    It seems retarded, I watched this today:

http://theunfunnytruth.ytmnd.com/

Bearing in mind that ytmnd -may- not be the most reliable source of information so take it with a grain of salt.

It's kinda scary to think of people paying thousands of pounds to scientology, but ofc we can have no idea of what they're getting in return for their money.

Personally I think they're all nut-jobs though. travolta included :P
  • Options
    This should explain everything..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDPkn9LX0rU
  • Options
    A load of bullshit

An as odious and dangerous as brain-washing cults can get.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »

Ah right then. That's cleared it all up for me. Not much point in this thread any more is there ? :D
  • Options

:lol: Thats quite good.

It looks like they are a bunch of nutters. It terms of Tom Cruise and John Travolta, it must be a case of more money than sense. :chin:

I just struggle to understand so many sensible people would believe such crap? Has nobody explained to Tom Cruise how much of a twat he must be to believe such rubbish ?
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    it's no more obscure than most other religions.

Trust me it is. Look at this shit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

Slightly more madder than Adam and Eve and that bollocks.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

I shall after dinner - but my view on religion is that it is all obscure. Simply because it is nothing what everyday life is like, nothing I have experience and nothing that can be proven or actually disproven.
    Though I may eat my words when I read that shit :D
  • Options
    http://historyofscientology.ytmnd.com/

The actual shit these guys believe ^
  • Options
    About as crazy and baseless as any other religion. Though most other religions seem to be a bit better at taking criticism without threatening to sue. I guess we'll see on Panaroma tonight. Can't wait. I love religious fruitcakes.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »

Christ I thought I was gullible :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    And is it a load of bollocks?

I don't really understand much about them. The media seems to make them out as a bunch of loons. Is this the case?

I cant see why such high profile stars such a Tom Cruise and John Travolta are members of such a religion/ cult* (delete as appropriate). What do they have to gain by joining such a religion?

Anybody have any experience of the Church of Scientology, are they as nutty as a fruit cake as we are led to believe ?

TV Pro on it tonight on Beeb 1 at 8:30pm
  • Options
    If the people who join scientology don't know what they "believe" without paying a lot of money, then it's not a religion at all though, is it?
  • Options

it's actually quite correct
  • Options
    If the people who join scientology don't know what they "believe" without paying a lot of money, then it's not a religion at all though, is it?

from the founder:

`Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous,' he told the meeting. `If a man really wanted to make a million dollars, the best way to do it would be start his own religion.'
  • Options

This is the episode that cuased Isaac Hayes (who did the voice for Chef) to quit South Park. Apparently he's a scientologist and the episode offended him (though apparently he has no qualms about taking the piss out of Jews, Catholics or Mormons...)
  • Options
    This is the episode that cuased Isaac Hayes (who did the voice for Chef) to quit South Park. Apparently he's a scientologist and the episode offended him (though apparently he has no qualms about taking the piss out of Jews, Catholics or Mormons...)

Yeah, they seem to have a bit of a reputation for not being able to take a joke about anything don't they.
  • Options
  • Options
    They're not legally recognised as a religion in this country, are they?
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Panorama is on about them tonight. They believe something to do with us all coming from aliens or some shit like that.

And the wonder why people think they are fucking strange :chin:

What time and channel? Panorama is always interesting and I'm curious.
  • Options

i think they managed a tax rebate of someform being a organisation

they haven't got religious or charity(not sure) status though
    "In Britain, the Charity Commission denied Scientology religious status on the basis that it did not benefit the public in any way."
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/article358437.ece
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    What time and channel? Panorama is always interesting and I'm curious.

BBC1 @ 8.30pm
  • Options
    Interesting story about them. Check it out

They are a crafty lot, charging £100k to be told we come from aliens and now they want a reduction in their London rents.

The church has also secured a discount of £281,344 in rates on its London centre, which comes out of public funds, and is now trying to avoid paying any rates at all.

• Options
    Last time we tried to discuss Scientology on here, Jim stopped the discussion in case Scientologists tried to sue thesite. Or more accurately, last time in the Entertainment forum when people said that Katie Holmes' pregnancy was fake...

It's interesting though. I think it's a load of (quite dangerous) rubbish, if the stories of people who have been victims of Scientology are to be believed.

Any religion that makes you pay is questionable, the Christian Union at York uni are forever trying to force their views upon you quite freely, trying to spread the word and enlighten us all. Scientology will spread the word but only if you pay for it!
  • Options
    Snake oil salesmen, and morally bankrupt alleged murderers to boot.

It'd be a waste of time for anyone to do as much reading into Scientology as I have done over the past few years, but ever since they "recruited" one of my schoolfriends I have been fascinated by the way they essentially brainwashed her. Scary stuff. They have a fucking huge base in Sunderland and used to roam the streets when I was a schoolgirl trying to "recruit" the down and outs of the town. Pretty sick even when taken at face value, but when you are fully aware that poor unfortunate souls never rise in the ranks of Scientology and never benefit from the wonders and enlightenment and belonging it claims to provide for its followers... well then it's beyond belief.

Anyway, they're essentially a cult that preys on the weak by charging them extraordinary amounts of money (often relatively "extraordinary" as - like I said - outside of Hollywood etc their main targets are the vulnerable and weak-minded) to merely be accepted into the cult. That's not to mention the fact that in the blink of an eye ElRon's followers are happy to use extortion and threats along with numerous (all frivolous) lawsuits in order to harass any person who even dares to breathe dissent or even question what the fuck they're doing and how they're doing it. I have also read several reports of Scientology-issued death warrants, but obviously that is all fairly speculative and they do a better job of filling in the cracks and covering things up than a vat of Pollyfilla.

It differs immensely from other religions in too many ways to detail, the main way being the fact that their belief system and ways of "worship" are not out there in the public eye for us to examine and judge and rip to shreds or decide we might like to join. It's all cloak and dagger, to put it mildly. The reason I believe they do this is to slowly scam the feckless, dumb and uber-rich (or those wondrous beings that are a combination of all three) out of every penny they have in order to achieve some vague end result that is even now pretty unclear. The high profile celebrity members is a weird thing. Far be it from me to cast aspersions about Tom 'Thumb' Cruise and John Travlota's respective sexualities... but Scientology purported that homosexuality is curable in the same breath it told us that AIDs is a state of mind :yeees: That's not to mention the wonderful revelation - as spoken to us through the prophet Tom Cruise - that all illness psychological and physical can be cured by [ElRon brand] vitamins.

Scientology is a total scam, I'd laugh at all these fuckwits getting their wallets ripped out through their arseholes if it wasn't so sad and so scary. They actually seem to believe in the schizo delusions of their overlord. The idea of charging money is nothing new in religion but I've never encountered another circumstance where paying in a big wedge every week is mandatory. Maybe it could be compared to Catholicism during the times of indulgences, but despite my reservations about Catholicism I would still hesitate to compare it to this wholly cynical, mercenary "religion". It makes me furious.

Anyone who still thinks ELRon's "religion" is a viable option for spirtual enlightenment and a wonderful world on the second moon of Jupiter (or wherever they're all buggering off to) can't have read his book The Fundamentals of Thought. The book in which he relates to us such gems as "white people are more progressive because they crave more attention than 'yellows and browns'." If you're confused - as you should be - then let me explain, white people need to receive more attention, adulation and respect from people around them as the "yellows" and "browns" get sufficient attention from rocks and trees. Ah them thur simple folk...

Of course they would tell you that the reason I don't agree with Scientology and walk around all day with the mark of Xenu on my forehead is because I'm a body thetan and in need of an immediate audit. Take me to your leader etc etc ;)
  • Options

Well they've never been on Songs of Praise :D
  • Options
    Oh and as for why TC and JT are members (along with loads of other slebs who you would never imagine) is that Scientology protects its own fiercly and without a second thought. They do wonders quelling rumours and paying off the rentboys of yesteryear. At least the "civilian" Scientolgists can see how their hard-earned money is spent, sueing the National Enquirer and keeping Antonio the poolboy schtum.

So it seems, anyway.

Scientology also comes with the fantastic added benefit of supplying its own special doctors and medical staff and teachers and tutors that can allow you to gently guide your young son through life without any media attention or due care being paid to his autism :thumb: