Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Auz bans HIV positive immigrants

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In fact we shouldn't deny entry to HIV+ people even if we didn't have enough money to buy a second class stamp. Some things you don't do.

why? if its coursing a problem then why not ban it? surly theres only a curten amount of people you can help
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    but im sure HIV care costs a lot

The course of medication i'm on to supress HIV costs approximately £12,000 a year plus the cost of medication to counter act side effects plus the cost of medication for the effects of a suppressed immune system plus the cost of going to clinic.
  • Options
    why? if its coursing a problem then why not ban it? surly theres only a curten amount of people you can help

Would you be saying the same thing if you were HIV+ and wanted to imigrate to Australia?
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    The course of medication i'm on to supress HIV costs approximately £12,000 a year plus the cost of medication to counter act side effects plus the cost of medication for the effects of a suppressed immune system plus the cost of going to clinic.

I think that's about the same amount as a student then, yeah?
  • Options

and fuck everyone else
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    I think that's about the same amount as a student then, yeah?

???

Students dont get free money. Student loans have to be paid back with some interest. The 12k would be what a student would borrow over 3 or 4 years.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    and fuck everyone else

im not sayying that at all, what im saying is that one country needs to do whats best for the people of that country first and deal with other problems second,
  • Options
    im not sayying that at all,

It's exactly what you're saying.
  • Options
    I don't necessarily see why though. A british human and a french human for example, I've never noticed the difference. Well, except for the fact the french people I've met so far have been a bit off the wall :p, but I'm sure there's boring ones too.

Yanno, I know none of you are religious, neither am I, but sometimes I think the bible can be used to teach good things ;). 'Love thy neighbour' or somesuch. We only live a finite amount of time anyway, if we're going to spend it worrying about whether to let someone in with some illness or other we'll all go crazy. Also, HIV+ people don't necessarily have AIDs. Like it said in the article, it is transmissable (swapping blood, semen etc.) but it is not contagious (i.e. if they cough on you its not going to make any difference whatsoever). You can't judge someones worth of refuge based on whether they have a virus or not.

Having said that, that's exactly what they did to kill off the plague which afaik was untreatable.
  • Options
    Why is anyone surprised by this suggestion when it comes from a country with a recent history of Government racist policy?

They used to take the children from the natives FFS
  • Options
  • Options
    I think theuy should give the whiteys a license to shoot the aids infected as wildlife thought really init! that'll keep the numbers down.

/sarcasm
  • Options
    Look at it objectively. He implements a plan to prevent people with an incurable, contagious disease from entering the country and the people keep him in power, indicating that is what the people want. Why should he accept people, who will no doubt prove to be a huge drain on his country's medical system at the expense of the taxpayer?
    If the Australians thought he was a Nazi for doing so, he'd be turfed out, but they keep him. hence, they agree with him.
  • Options
    It's exactly what you're saying.

And what are you saying? Open the borders to every potential HIV-positive immigrant on the grounds of "human rights"?

Hmmmm yes, now that would really be helpful for the world.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Look at it objectively. He implements a plan to prevent people with an incurable, contagious disease from entering the country and the people keep him in power, indicating that is what the people want. Why should he accept people, who will no doubt prove to be a huge drain on his country's medical system at the expense of the taxpayer?
    If the Australians thought he was a Nazi for doing so, he'd be turfed out, but they keep him. hence, they agree with him.

Hey just to be pedantic HIV isn't contagious... TB is though. If you do a search on google:

CONTAGIOUS: In the context of HIV, any infectious disease transmitted by casual contact between persons. Casual contact can be defined as normal day-to-day contact among people at home, school, work, or in the community. A contagious pathogen (eg, chicken pox) can be transmitted by casual contact. An infectious pathogen, on the other hand, is transmitted by direct or intimate contact (eg, sex). HIV is infectious, not contagious.

Although it's a terrible virus, the amount of people who are going to catch it from immigrants is going to be insignificant compared to the resident population spreading it amongst themselves. The proper solution is to smack people on the head and tell them to use condoms.

I know what you're saying about if people aren't voting him out they support him, but he's doing the same divide and conquer tactics that were coincidentally used by hitler. (Though I hate drawing comparisons to him, couldn't think of a more notable example). Get people to focus all their problems on immigrants and blame it on immigrants to put through prejudicial laws and legislation, when the real problems remain unaddressed.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    Open the borders to every potential HIV-positive immigrant on the grounds of "human rights"?

a. We're all potentially HIV+

b. If no-one has unprotected sex with them, or if they don't donate blood, then what risk is HIV+ status, really?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I am going to be controversial, and say I agree with this.

Then again, I agree with the mesures Castro took against HIV/AIDS - we won't stop it if we don't do something, it'll carry on spreading.

I think tests for it should be enforced for everyone. And those with it, prevented from having intercourse. Except with others who are infected. The place where they sent them all in Cuba was a good idea, I personally think.

It is a terrible disease, and currently there is only one way to prevent it.
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    It is a terrible disease, and currently there is only one way to prevent it.

By stigmatising people who have it? Nice.
  • Options
    a. We're all potentially HIV+

I was meaning potential as in potentially able to come over here.
    b. If no-one has unprotected sex with them, or if they don't donate blood, then what risk is HIV+ status, really?

By that reasoning, HIV wouldn't have spread like it has and infection rates wouldn't be rising.

Something like 70% of new cases among heterosexuals are African immigrants, and considering the common dismissal of any concern or even recognition of the problem of HIV in Africa it's lunacy to suggest we shouldn't have a screening process.
  • Options
    By stigmatising people who have it? Nice.

So what do you suggest?
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Hey just to be pedantic HIV isn't contagious... TB is though. If you do a search on google:

CONTAGIOUS: In the context of HIV, any infectious disease transmitted by casual contact between persons. Casual contact can be defined as normal day-to-day contact among people at home, school, work, or in the community. A contagious pathogen (eg, chicken pox) can be transmitted by casual contact. An infectious pathogen, on the other hand, is transmitted by direct or intimate contact (eg, sex). HIV is infectious, not contagious.

Although it's a terrible virus, the amount of people who are going to catch it from immigrants is going to be insignificant compared to the resident population spreading it amongst themselves. The proper solution is to smack people on the head and tell them to use condoms.

I know what you're saying about if people aren't voting him out they support him, but he's doing the same divide and conquer tactics that were coincidentally used by hitler. (Though I hate drawing comparisons to him, couldn't think of a more notable example). Get people to focus all their problems on immigrants and blame it on immigrants to put through prejudicial laws and legislation, when the real problems remain unaddressed.

Good point, however contagions aside, I accept the risk is small. The other factor you have to consider, which he probably is doing, is cost. How many thousands of dollars will it cost to supply each person who has developed AIDS with the necessary medications to keep them alive? In a country with a population like the UK we can probably cope, I doubt a country like Australia can.
  • Options
    So what do you suggest?

That immigration be judged on a case by case basis and that they are treated like human beings.
  • Options
    I was meaning potential as in potentially able to come over here.

I know what you meant. But you are suggesting that this is an condition which is not already in the UK or as the thread is about Oz, in Austrailia. It is and the only reason that neither you nor I have it is because we are careful.
    By that reasoning, HIV wouldn't have spread like it has and infection rates wouldn't be rising.

Something like 70% of new cases among heterosexuals are African immigrants, and considering the common dismissal of any concern or even recognition of the problem of HIV in Africa it's lunacy to suggest we shouldn't have a screening process.

No, my reasoning is what will stop the spread. It is the teachings of the Church and religious leaders - in some part of Africa the religious leader suggest that sleeping with a virgin is a cure, in others that there is no link bewteen HIV and AIDS - which increases infection rates.

The message that the only protection is to stop HIV+ people donating blood and to use condoms is the one we should get out.

Do you think that infection will stop because someone bans HIV+ people from entering their country? Do you think that Oz will no longer have any probelms?
  • Options
    Do you think that infection will stop because someone bans HIV+ people from entering their country?

so but it will slow down the infection rate which cant be a bad thing
  • Options
    By how much? And at what price?

Seeing as the immense majority of new cases are almost certainly caused by native Australians the move to ban immigrants is pointless and cruel.
  • Options
    And also to give clean needles to people rather than making them share them. Just thought I'd butt in there MoK ;)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    And also to give clean needles to people rather than making them share them. Just thought I'd butt in there MoK ;)

Point taken. You are, of course, completely correct.
  • Options
    so but it will slow down the infection rate which cant be a bad thing

How?

And where is your evidence that immigration increase the infection rate? Surely the issue is behaviour. Ask yourself, how do you prevent yourself from being infected?
  • Options
    How?

And where is your evidence that immigration increase the infection rate? Surely the issue is behaviour. Ask yourself, how do you prevent yourself from being infected?

Well for a start Victoria state public health officials have stated that the rise in HIV cases is partly due to Immigration, and i think maybe they know a lot more then you?
  • Options
    Do you believe everything governments and the agencies they control say?

It's obviously impossible that a right wing ultra conservative anti immigration government might use scaremongering tactics to justify draconian measures against immigration is it?

I for one would love to see figures.

Are they going to kick out those responsible for the immense majority of new cases, namely native Australians, one wonders?