Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Slightly gross but anyway:

I've cut myself twice in just under a week (Thursday & last night) and I managed to take part of the skin off various parts of my arm. Will this ever grow back? It looks stupid as it's slightly whiter than the rest of my skin.
  • Options
    I had to double check when it said "Page 207 of 207" but its a good think people are discussing this , i helped a close friend through some hard times when she was self harming once.

Sofie: it will grow back but im not sure if it will show the same colour as the rest of your skin
  • Options
    sorry you all feel bad, I really hope you all get better soon.
  • Options
    Malt, I know how you feel. I had a lot going on last month and this, the stress got me to my lowest for some time. I didnt think it would get better and it someone did. You just have to make time for your friends/family no matter how pushed you are for time. I got through it one day at a time, and it suddenly clicked into place. I surprsingly didnt SH nearly as much or as badly I normally would have done considering everything.
  • Options
    Im sorry.
  • Options
  • Options
    Counselling went ok yesterday, broke down infront of her- told her everything- the vomiting, slip up etc. I've got to get a Dr's appointment tomorrow regarding meds, and see if she can write me a note which may help in college. I just feel so useless, pathetic and a complete failure.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote: »
    Counselling went ok yesterday, broke down infront of her- told her everything- the vomiting, slip up etc. I've got to get a Dr's appointment tomorrow regarding meds, and see if she can write me a note which may help in college. I just feel so useless, pathetic and a complete failure.

Kirsty, your not any of those things. At least if your consellor knows the whole story then they can help you as much as possible. Its not a bad thing to go back to seeing one and staying on the AD's if they help you, especially at the moment. Massive hugs to you xxx
  • Options
    Is there anyway I can protect my cuts from knocks? (they're on my lower arm, right below my elbow) Without using medical tape or anything like that, which makes the cuts go all gungy.

Is there any reason why my scars peel? But if I fall over and hurt myself they don't?
  • Options
    Kirsty, your not any of those things. At least if your consellor knows the whole story then they can help you as much as possible. Its not a bad thing to go back to seeing one and staying on the AD's if they help you, especially at the moment. Massive hugs to you xxx

Cheers Marie, just feel a bit eurgh at the mo. Thankyou for the hugs too :) xx
  • Options
    I've not posted here in a while. I'm not even sure if I should be posting in here. I don't feel depressed. I'm just feeling upset at this moment in time after several arguments and need to rant somewhere...

I'm just a bit sick and tired of being made out like I'm the bitch of the year. I'm sick of tired of people thinking that I'm always out to get at them or upset them. It upsets me to know that somehow, I manage it without actually meaning to. I don't even actually have to say or do anything anymore but I still manage it. Its like everything I say or do is aimed at them somehow in their eyes.You'd think I'd understand paranoia when I've suffered from it myself in the past but I really actually don't when it concerns somebody else. I don't even have the patience in me anymore to deal with it. I don't understand how someone can think so little of me to think that I'm so cold hearted and bitter. It just gets to me big time. I'm not a nasty person, I'm not a bitch, I'm not anything which they are making me out to be. It just gets to me after they've known me for so long. I'm sick and tired of arguing with this person. I don't know what else I'm supposed to do. How many times have I got to say the same thing over and over. Why can't they just accept it?

I really don't like people reminding me of my past either. Sure, I've been hurt the past. I may be bitter in some respects but yanno, life goes on. You forget about it and move on. There is always going to be people that hurt you. Its part of life. Why is it some people want to remind me of how I've been hurt in the past? Its like they can't let go that I'm part of someones past or something. Nothing is worse than someone constantly reminding you that you were not good enough but they are and something MUST be wrong with you. I just can't help but wonder what their intentions are in reminding me that I was unwanted. I mean someone saying to me that I'm bitter because someone finished me really does get you thinking. I know there is nothing wrong with me so I don't quite know why they are trying to place thoughts in my head that there is.

And what gets to me more, the people closest to you not actually trusting you in the decisions you make. Life is about making mistakes, if I make one, its my mistake and I'll learn from it. Just wish certain people in my life would trust me more rather than treating me like a complete idiot.

Just meh.:crying:
  • Options
    And what gets to me more, the people closest to you not actually trusting you in the decisions you make. Life is about making mistakes, if I make one, its my mistake and I'll learn from it. Just wish certain people in my life would trust me more rather than treating me like a complete idiot.
    Chin up chick, you just need to remember that (and I'm guessing its family that are 'not trusting' you?) chances are, its not because they dont trust you not to make a mistake but its because they want to protect you from possibly making one, so its only seems like mistrust - really theyre just worried..
  • Options
    Meh. I added something else to my original post just as you posted that.

The trusting thing is to do with a family member yeah. Well, my Dad trusts me because he knows I'm not stupid. My Mum seems to think I am though...:( I know I'm not making a mistake and even if I do, its my mistake and I'll learn from it.
  • Options
    Meh. I added something else to my original post just as you posted that.

The trusting thing is to do with a family member yeah. Well, my Dad trusts me because he knows I'm not stupid. My Mum seems to think I am though...:( I know I'm not making a mistake and even if I do, its my mistake and I'll learn from it.
    Thats normally how it works, Dads are more prone to letting their offspring learn from their mistakes (They only touch the stove once right?) whereas Mums would prefer it if their young didnt get hurt to begin with. Thats how it is with everyone I know anyway.
    Sometimes we may make choices that others dont agree with but ultimately they are our own. Just remember that if nothing goes wrong then great - you've been prooven right. If they do go wrong then its no biggie, your family will still no doubt be around to pick up the pieces and put you back on your feet again ready to make more decisions..
  • Options
    Meh. Yeah maybe. Well my Mum has just rang me and apologised and told me that she just wants to forget it all now. She said she is still unhappy with my decision but she would rather we didn't argue about it. Theres nothing to argue about though really. I'm doing nothing wrong.

Thanks though Icey :heart:

So sick of people's attention seeking games right now and immaturity. I find it so hard to deal with. Does that make me a bad friend? I've just got so much going on right now so when I get accused of stuff which is blatently not true, I have a really short fuse. I can't be doing people's jealousy, paranoia or insecurities right now. You'd think I'd have the patience for it as I've suffered from paranoia, low self esteem, etc in past but I really don't.

Meh.
  • Options
    Bit of an update- I'm now on 10mg of the same AD's I was on before- whereas I was on 5mg. Dr said to up my dosage before he considers changing them.

I've been so tired recently, I don't know what's wrong with me, I just want to sleep, lots!
  • Options
    Bit of an update- I'm now on 10mg of the same AD's I was on before- whereas I was on 5mg. Dr said to up my dosage before he considers changing them.

I've been so tired recently, I don't know what's wrong with me, I just want to sleep, lots!

Wanting to sleep all the time is a common side effect of depression/stress. I always suffer from it. Espically the moment, all I want to do is sleep at the weekends as works hetic and I'm often up til gone midnight in the week.
  • Options

I'm the same as well.

Really feel like shit right now.:crying:
  • Options
    Fucking Citalopram... 3 weeks ago I was started on 10mg... 2 weeks ago I was upped to 20mg after I told my GP I was stockpiling ibuprofen and thinking about self-harm... and don't feel any better...
    Exams are going badly, i've realised i've actually been miserably and had total depression-induced apathy for about a year now.
    Christ, why is this happening to me.
  • Options
    Thanku Marie, I thought it could be to do with the ADs.

Hugs Sofie.
  • Options
    Thanks.

The friend I've been talking about has finally deicded to talk to me but has told me:
    Sofie, you need to tell you parents and get medical help. I cannot be your psychiatrist. Perhaps you should follow some of the help pages on thesite.org and maybe discuss it with people there.

Despite him knowing (through something I said on here) that I don't want my parents finding out about of this.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Thanks.

The friend I've been talking about has finally deicded to talk to me but has told me:
    Sofie, you need to tell you parents and get medical help. I cannot be your psychiatrist. Perhaps you should follow some of the help pages on thesite.org and maybe discuss it with people there.

Despite him knowing (through something I said on here) that I don't want my parents finding out about of this.

He can only suggest what to do Sofie- you are the one that has control :) If you don't feel that it would be good/wise/whatever to tell your parents then that is YOUR decision- people can only try to influence it.

I won't preach, but medical health- counselling- has helped me. The AD's I'm not certain about :) But different people- different things.

I've just seen that I have a draft coursework essay due in on Thurs- and now hitting the downward slope- I have FOUR days to do it in, why can't I do that? I have a bad feeling about if I get into uni things won't work out :( I'm just in a bit of a state tonight. Ignore my rambling.
  • Options
    The thing is, I know I should do what he says but I just can't. I know I need help but like I've mentioned in the past, I'm scared about what might happen. Which is the same reason why I won't tell my parents.
  • Options
    The thing is, I know I should do what he says but I just can't. I know I need help but like I've mentioned in the past, I'm scared about what might happen. Which is the same reason why I won't tell my parents.

If you know that you should, perhaps try making small steps towards it. For exmaple, joining a board like NSHN, or one specifically (sp?) for self harm/depression etc. Then work on the bigger things.

What are you scared about that may happen?
  • Options
    I've already joined NSHN and it has really helped.

Basically, I'm worried about how my parents will react. I always have been. Alot of this is to do with what some people said about the way their parents reacted on the NSHN board.
  • Options
    I've already joined NSHN and it has really helped.

Basically, I'm worried about how my parents will react. I always have been. Alot of this is to do with what some people said about the way their parents reacted on the NSHN board.

Ahhh :) (I'm yourbabe on there btw- just signed up)

It's understandable to be worried, and only you know how your parents will react, if you think it's better they don't know then don't tell them.

If I could turn the clock back I would have been careful, and mine wouldn't have seen.
  • Options
    I think that I am suffering from depression. I've taken the break up of a longterm relationship really badly and haven't been able to get over it despite it ending 8 months ago. I have no care for anything, I can't sleep and I think to myself what's the point. I'm recently become verbally abuses to members of my family. I don't know how to deal with my problems.
  • Options
    I think that I am suffering from depression. I've taken the break up of a longterm relationship really badly and haven't been able to get over it despite it ending 8 months ago. I have no care for anything, I can't sleep and I think to myself what's the point. I'm recently become verbally abuses to members of my family. I don't know how to deal with my problems.

Have you spoken to anyone about this?

My problem is that, even though I don't want my parents to know, I think they should. I think they might've worked out something is wrong. (always going to bed very early and hardly eating anything)
  • Options
    If they have worked out something is wrong then that may not be a bad thing, it may just prepare them a bit :)
  • Options
    I've mentioned it to my mum before but she doesn't want me to end up on anti-depressants. I just want to get out of this cycle. I've thought about moving and just going away for a while but I don't know if that will help me.