Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Michael Barton - found guilty

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    turlough wrote:
    Well maybe some, like Ian Huntley for one, but I still think he's capable of some sort of forgiveness.

Got to agree with that. He showed no mercy or sorrow for what he had done. Unfortunately, these two receive the same sentiment from me.
  • Options
    If they are considered dangerous and without regret or remorse then they will not be released.

The main instigator admitted his guilt, which is a very brave thing to do in a murder trial. It's a very brave thing to do because there is no incentive in doing it, other than to spare the victim's family the extra trauma. That shows some level of remorse.

Those who show remorse should be given the chance to have another go. Those who don't shouldn't. Remorse isn't a case of saying "I didn't mean to, I'm sorry", you actually have to show it to some degree, and Parole and Probation staff know when someone is bullshitting.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The main instigator admitted his guilt, which is a very brave thing to do in a murder trial. It's a very brave thing to do because there is no incentive in doing it, other than to spare the victim's family the extra trauma. That shows some level of remorse.

I'd have thought time of your sentence was a good incentive .... especially if you haven't a snowballs chance in hell of getting a not guilty.
  • Options
    I'd have thought time of your sentence was a good incentive .... especially if you haven't a snowballs chance in hell of getting a not guilty.

You get 30% credit for a timely guilty plea.

30% of life is still life.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    You get 30% credit for a timely guilty plea.

30% of life is still life.
    In explaining how he calculated the minimum tariffs, Mr Justice Leveson said the starting point for Taylor was 30 years. The minimum for an adult convicted of murder is 15 years but this doubles if the killing is racist.

The judge said the murder was racially aggravated and premeditated but Taylor received credit for his guilty plea, which the judge said "required real courage".
    Paul Taylor, 20, who drove an ice axe into the 18-year-old student's head, must serve at least 23 years and eight months of his mandatory life sentence

Guardian

He'll be eligible for parole 6years and 4 months earlier because he pleaded guilty.

I'd say that was an incentive.