Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gypsies

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    Well, I m aware of many good gypsies. My mum has contact with some at work.

However, this doesn't deter from the fact a very large number (I'd say 50% or more) do go about causing trouble.

They're just raided two loads of stainless (empties hte factory once, then a second time, and took the truck and shelves) from a Mate's dad's stainless steel fabrication factory.

The truck is byond repair, causing ALOT of problems - how do you ship large counters without it? They can't just afford to go out and get a new one.

How did you arrive at that figure of 50%?
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Not they aren't all the same but the majority that park up near where i live, live off of stealing.

and you know that, how?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You haven't answered the question, unless you're saying that all gypsies have mental health problems. I asked you why gypsies should be provided for, why should I have to provide for them?

I refer you to my previous answer to Littleali.

However, even when gypsies buy land they often are not granted planning permission to live on it. So they're screwed every which way.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Most people's experiences of travellers stem from illegal occupation of land, such as playing fields and car parks. Mine do. And every single camp like that I have seen has left everything in an absolute state- as I say, the last travellers to grace Hebburn with their presence did over £100,000 of damage. That's a lot of damage for taxpayers to pay for.

Yes, they are the ones you notice. No one is denying that some travellers can be anti-social tossers. However to claim they are all like that, or all wasters etc is just ignorant crap.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Yes, they are the ones you notice. No one is denying that some travellers can be anti-social tossers. However to claim they are all like that, or all wasters etc is just ignorant crap.
    No-one is claiming that that every one is like that, people are just giving their experiences. In MY EXPERIENCE the only travellers I have come across have caused nothing but damage and trouble - it doesn't mean they all are, and from reading this thread NOBODY has implied this.
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    No-one is claiming that that every one is like that, people are just giving their experiences.

Kermit is claiming that. He has stated, for example, that people are scum for merely blocking a footpath (thouughless, yes. But scum?). He has also stated that all "new age" travellers are wasters.
  • Options
    and you know that, how?

Because i'm the one who sits there whilst they try going through the self scan without scanning stuff. EVERY SINGLE DAY.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    You haven't answered the question, unless you're saying that all gypsies have mental health problems. I asked you why gypsies should be provided for, why should I have to provide for them?

I could be naive and say that's how a society works, providing for each other. You could say 'why should tax payers provide for you?'. Or, in fact, anyone else at all. The way this country works as far as I can tell (and forgive me if I'm wrong) is we all put a little into a big pot, that can be given to those that need it (and people without a home or at least a place to set up their home, I would say are in need of it).

I would say though, that because of a negative stigma attached to travellers in general, people tend to say they're not worthy of it. I wonder if people lived with gypsies for a week (getting over their own prejudgements about the living conditions and the 'ew' factor) they would change their minds. :chin:
  • Options
  • Options
    sophia wrote: »
    This thread is unbelievable. There is no other social or racial group that you could say some of the things that are here being said about gypsies and travellers without getting banned in the blink of an eye.
    True but then a lot (not all!!!!) of gypsies to behave in this way. I have had runs ins plenty of tiems with gypsies and my boyfriend has family that are gypsies. I'll go as far as saying that a lot of his family are scum and he'd agree!
  • Options
    :banghead:

Here we go again with the fucking racism card.
  • Options
    :banghead:

Here we go again with the fucking racism card.

Doesn't have to be racism to be unpleasant and bigoted......
  • Options
    Because i'm the one who sits there whilst they try going through the self scan without scanning stuff. EVERY SINGLE DAY.

oooh does that work? :chin:
  • Options
    My understanding was that most travellers lived on the illegal camps, but they don't, so the generalisations I drew are wrong because my understanding was wrong.

I've yet to see an illegal camp that isn't filled with filth who trash everything, but that's only 16% of travellers, so the generalisations are wrong.
  • Options
    oooh does that work? :chin:

Not when i work on it no. But when you get the lazy people working there they more than likely get away with alot yeah as they can't be arsed to get off thier butts and check when a warning flashes up!
  • Options
    Not when i work on it no. But when you get the lazy people working there they more than likely get away with alot yeah as they can't be arsed to get off thier butts and check when a warning flashes up!
    Is that the "unexpected item in the basket...." :banghead:
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Is that the "unexpected item in the basket...." :banghead:

lol yes, although that can also happen when people put something that they scanned in the bag but have pressed skip bagging too.
  • Options
    My understanding was that most travellers lived on the illegal camps, but they don't, so the generalisations I drew are wrong because my understanding was wrong.

I've yet to see an illegal camp that isn't filled with filth who trash everything, but that's only 16% of travellers, so the generalisations are wrong.

Generalisatons about whole segments of a population are always wrong.
  • Options
    Where my folks live in Luton they regularly have the families who live in caravans turn up. There were three sites they preferred (one has recently been blocked off) and each and every time I can remember them being there they left the place in an absolute state. My brother has been attacked by them on a number of occasions and they've been caught stealing bricks and building equipment from my neighbour's garden. My experience with these folk is that at best they disgustingly filthy with no regard to other people, and at worst violent and criminal.

Now I understand that gypsies aren't inherently nasty or evil; they're not intrinsically criminal either. I also understand that there's a destructive cycle of behaviours in place; residents don't like gypsies so gypsies don't like residents who don't like gypsies. Still, to pretend that living of the fringes of society doesn't effect how you view and act towards regular members of the public, is massively naïve.

The very fact the many posters in this thread have had unpleasant experiences with the travelling community speaks volumes. Gypsy apologists are quick to play the race or bigot card, but I think when you've had so many negative first-hand experiences with gypsies, its not racism or bigotry, it's holding factually based negative opinions.
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    Generalisatons about whole segments of a population are always wrong.

They're not always wrong.

I refer to what coathanger says.
  • Options
    They're not always wrong.

I refer to what coathanger says.

Still, I think a lot of people would benefit from living with gypsies for a week :)
  • Options

What all of them do that do they? You know for sure that they're gypsies do you?
  • Options

Cool.

*makes mental note to check out the lazy workers at Tescos on the way home tonight*
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Still, I think a lot of people would benefit from living with gypsies for a week :)

Perhaps - though I doubt they could ever convince me that their fly-tipping, violence, or theft was justifiable.

The evidence - from my own, my friends', other posters', and my family's experiences - is that a disproportionate amount of gypsies exhibit anti-social, and frequently criminal, behaviour.

I don't doubt that there are sociologically sound explanations for their mentality, but it doesn't mean that me holding negative opinions is bigoted, prejudiced or racist.
  • Options
    Where my folks live in Luton they regularly have the families who live in caravans turn up. There were three sites they preferred (one has recently been blocked off) and each and every time I can remember them being there they left the place in an absolute state. My brother has been attacked by them on a number of occasions and they've been caught stealing bricks and building equipment from my neighbour's garden. My experience with these folk is that at best they disgustingly filthy with no regard to other people, and at worst violent and criminal.

Now I understand that gypsies aren't inherently nasty or evil; they're not intrinsically criminal either. I also understand that there's a destructive cycle of behaviours in place; residents don't like gypsies so gypsies don't like residents who don't like gypsies. Still, to pretend that living of the fringes of society doesn't effect how you view and act towards regular members of the public, is massively naïve.

The very fact the many posters in this thread have had unpleasant experiences with the travelling community speaks volumes. Gypsy apologists are quick to play the race or bigot card, but I think when you've had so many negative first-hand experiences with gypsies, its not racism or bigotry, it's holding factually based negative opinions.

I've only ever been mugged by black people. All the drug dealers round my way are black. Does that mean that I can then say that all black people are muggers and dealers, cos "it's holding factually based negative opinions"?
  • Options
    I've only ever been mugged by black people. All the drug dealers round my way are black. Does that mean that I can then say that all black people are muggers and dealers, cos "it's holding factually based negative opinions"?

No, of course not, but your comparison isn't exact now is it?

If the vast majority of your everyday experiences with black people were that they mugged you, then yes, I'd say you'd be entitled to hold the negative opinion that a disproportionate amount of black people were muggers.

But by all means don't let that get in the way of you labeling me as a bigot or racist.
  • Options
    I refer you to my previous answer to Littleali.

However, even when gypsies buy land they often are not granted planning permission to live on it. So they're screwed every which way.
    No, you still haven't answered the question, though I don't know why I expected it to be, it's not like you to answer questions. It's been stated and unchallenged that money isn't a problem for travellers, so why should they be provided for?
  • Options
    My mate lives in the country and they had some gypsies on their field with caravans, a farmer was kind enough to muck-spread all around their caravans. They didn't stay long after that :)
  • Options
    If the vast majority of your everyday experiences with black people were that they mugged you, then yes, I'd say you'd be entitled to hold the negative opinion that a disproportionate amount of black people were muggers.

No you wouldn't, personal experience on anything on a large scale, such as generalisations about large populations should have no bearing on your opinions of said group without being utterly irrational.

Consider drugs trials etc. There are proper methods of statistical analysis and hypothesis testing that can inform opinion in a reasonably reliable manner.

Anything below this standard is irrarional bollocks....
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    No you wouldn't, personal experience on anything on a large scale, such as generalisations about large populations should have no bearing on your opinions of said group without being utterly irrational.

Consider drugs trials etc. There are proper methods of statistical analysis and hypothesis testing that can inform opinion in a reasonably reliable manner.

Anything below this standard is irrarional bollocks....

I've no idea what you mean. I don't undertand the jist of any of what you've just written.

Generalisations are wrong as far as unfairly and incorrectly labeling individuals goes, however, the substance of a generalisation is often correct.

Are you saying my personal experiences shouldn't help form any of my opinions? Cause you know that's a nonsense, right?