Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gypsies

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    What all of them do that do they? You know for sure that they're gypsies do you?

Yes they come in in groups and i know they are from there as i have seen them outside thier caravans making a mess!
  • Options
    Yes I am saying that your personal experiences should not unduly affect your opinions, it would be irrational.

If I live in a small village and there is one family of Asians there and I consider them to be rude then the following proposition may have some merit:

-Asian people living in this village are rude

The proposition:

-Asian people are rude

Is completely ridiculous. Not to say that people do not form opinions in this way, just to say that such opinions have no merit in any scientific or rational sense and I personally judge this is being quite important to whether I value an opinion or not, don't you?

Equally the opinion of half a dozen people on a largely anonymous internet site that gypsies are largely trouble-making criminals should have absolutley no bearing on my opinion, it is not 'evidence' of any serious kind........
  • Options
    What all of them do that do they? You know for sure that they're gypsies do you?

did she say ALL of them?
  • Options
    There is a gypsy site near my work that has just been given temporary planning consent for 4 years, having spent the last 2 years fighting to get it (i presume they were on there illegally during that 2 years?) From what i can see they don't cause much, if any, trouble. But the locals are fighting to get them out, saying that it would swamp their village (60 residents in the village, pitches for 20 families). I can understand that this will mean there will be more gypsies than villagers, but the camp will actually be on the otherside of a dual carriageway to the village, and there is only a few houses near it. I don't get why people still complain even if they're doing as they're meant to, by getting planning etc.
  • Options
    No, of course not, but your comparison isn't exact now is it?

If the vast majority of your everyday experiences with black people were that they mugged you, then yes, I'd say you'd be entitled to hold the negative opinion that a disproportionate amount of black people were muggers.

But by all means don't let that get in the way of you labeling me as a bigot or racist.

But that was my vast majority experience of black people in my childhood. Does that make it OK for me to be bigoted? Or should I actually use my brain a little bit?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    No, you still haven't answered the question, though I don't know why I expected it to be, it's not like you to answer questions. It's been stated and unchallenged that money isn't a problem for travellers, so why should they be provided for?

I have answered your question. If you haven't understood my answer, then that's OK, I'll explain it.

As I said - often when travellers actually buy land, they are still not allowed to live on it. So what are they supposed to do? They're screwed every which way. Now if society could find a way to let people live on land they bought, then we wouldn't have this problem. For those that can't afford to buy land, councils should provide sites, just like they provide housing for others. Now we could get into a discussion about there not being enough housing provided if you like. Fancy it?
  • Options
    noog wrote: »
    My mate lives in the country and they had some gypsies on their field with caravans, a farmer was kind enough to muck-spread all around their caravans. They didn't stay long after that :)

See, this is exactly the sort of shit (pun intended) that travelling people have to put up with.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    Yes they come in in groups and i know they are from there as i have seen them outside thier caravans making a mess!

So you know exactly who is shoplifting and where they live? Have you reported this to the police?
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    did she say ALL of them?

Pretty much, yes.
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote: »
    There is a gypsy site near my work that has just been given temporary planning consent for 4 years, having spent the last 2 years fighting to get it (i presume they were on there illegally during that 2 years?) From what i can see they don't cause much, if any, trouble. But the locals are fighting to get them out, saying that it would swamp their village (60 residents in the village, pitches for 20 families). I can understand that this will mean there will be more gypsies than villagers, but the camp will actually be on the otherside of a dual carriageway to the village, and there is only a few houses near it. I don't get why people still complain even if they're doing as they're meant to, by getting planning etc.

People still complain because they are bigots.
  • Options

No, people complain because they are resistant to change. If they were going to build a shopping centre near the village and the residents get pissed off, what are they now? You seriously think all sixty residents are bigots? I think you're generalising now.
    Stop using the racist/bigot stuff.
  • Options
    pah1986 wrote: »
    No, people complain because they are resistant to change. If they were going to build a shopping centre near the village and the residents get pissed off, what are they now? You seriously think all sixty residents are bigots? I think you're generalising now.
    Stop using the racist/bigot stuff.

What on earth has building a shopping centre got to do with it? :confused:
  • Options
    As I said a few pages back, if people want to say what their experience has been then that's fine, but they also can't be so immediately dismissive of the evidence that contradicts their perspective.

To those that have mentioned it, the truth is this thread has remained open so that the issues involved can actually be discussed. It's obviously sad and disappointing to see so much bigotry, hatred, and unpleasantness being directed towards a group in society from normal rational users of the boards.

However people are challenging that perspective and the fact that it needs to be challenged does give some value to a thread, no matter the very unpleasant undertow of bigotry.

If people want to give their personal experiences then that's fine - and thankfully most people are making it clear that's what they are doing. Hopefully this thread will go someway to challenging viewpoints of a whole social group based on the behaviour of small groups from that group.

So, yes, to those that have reported it, we are watching this thread, and yes we are continually close to ending it - but I have real trouble seeing how these issues can be debated without bigotry being obvious, given it is such a wide spread and cancerous viewpoint within society at large.

I would hope people will come away from this thread with at least some thing to consider about their own views, even if they are extremely unlikely to ever admit that on this thread.
  • Options
    Originally Posted by LacyMay

LacyMay referred to residents complaining about the gypsy site being built. You called them bigots for complaining. They're not bigots. They would complain if shoppers "swamped their village" to get to a newly built shopping centre, just as they are complaining about gypsies "swamping their village" or for any other major change to their village.
  • Options
    See, this is exactly the sort of shit (pun intended) that travelling people have to put up with.

If the gypsies were there illegally good on the farmer. Fair play.
    As I said - often when travellers actually buy land, they are still not allowed to live on it. So what are they supposed to do?

Not really any easy answer. You don't think Sikhs should be above the law, do you think gypsies should be above the law?

If gypsies purchase land and wish to reside on it they should have to go through the proper planning procedures. In some cases where gypsies have bought land they have built on it - destroying sections of the green belt.

In this example, some of the gypsies lived at the site for three years. Hardly a travelling lifestyle?
    They're screwed every which way. Now if society could find a way to let people live on land they bought, then we wouldn't have this problem.

There's a reason that the value of a house will plummet if gypsies set up camp on a nearby field. Rows of caravans in fields are an eyesore for starters. And lets face it, there aren't many people who will speak glowingly of gypsies and be thrilled at the prospect of gypsies on the field over the road. (Although, I do not think this hostility is entirely justified).
    For those that can't afford to buy land, councils should provide sites

Absolutely not. If gypsies need assistance with housing they should receive exactly the same assistance as that offered to any non-gypsy. Why should the taxpayer subsidise gypsies lifestyles?
  • Options
    At least in theory equality before the law is one of the cornerstones of British justice - that together with the fact that you can only be convicted of a crime for which you were actually responsible (and if you didn't do it you're innocent no matter how many others you've done).

So it doesn't matter if 99% of gypsies are 'thieving pikies' (and I don't think they are) because you deal with them in the way that any other criminal is dealt with. The rest of the time, the rest of the gypsies should be dealt with as society should treat anyone else, which means ensuring they have proper housing etc, etc.

As I said on another thread tolerance isn't tolerance if you only tolerates those lifestyles you agree with...
  • Options
    If the gypsies were there illegally good on the farmer. Fair play.

So spraying someone with shit, risking them being infected with hepatitis, salmonella etc, is a proportionate response is it?
    Not really any easy answer. You don't think Sikhs should be above the law, do you think gypsies should be above the law?

I never claimed to be consistent. :D However, I think there is a difference between having somewhere to live and wearing a motorcycle helmet.
    If gypsies purchase land and wish to reside on it they should have to go through the proper planning procedures.

And then they get refused.
    In some cases where gypsies have bought land they have built on it - destroying sections of the green belt.

Have they? You only have the word of "People living near Dale Farm" for that.
    In this example, some of the gypsies lived at the site for three years. Hardly a travelling lifestyle?

So? What business is it of yours?
    There's a reason that the value of a house will plummet if gypsies set up camp on a nearby field.

House prices only plummet because there is prejudice against gypsies.
    Rows of caravans in fields are an eyesore for starters.

Whether something is an eyesore or not is a value judgement.
    And lets face it, there aren't many people who will speak glowingly of gypsies and be thrilled at the prospect of gypsies on the field over the road. (Although, I do not think this hostility is entirely justified).

Mostly because there is prejudice against gypsies.
    Absolutely not. If gypsies need assistance with housing they should receive exactly the same assistance as that offered to any non-gypsy.

i.e., not a lot.
    Why should the taxpayer subsidise gypsies lifestyles?

Why not? If as a society we house people, why shouldn't we provide sites? They're cheaper than housing.
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post
    If gypsies purchase land and wish to reside on it they should have to go through the proper planning procedures.

And then they get refused.

So, are you talking from actual experience and facts here? Because the statistics I'm looking at say 72% of gypsies live on authorised sites. The majority are obviously getting it right.
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disillusioned
    Absolutely not. If gypsies need assistance with housing they should receive exactly the same assistance as that offered to any non-gypsy.

i.e., not a lot.

:confused: You're agreeing that gypsies and non-gypsies have equal treatment now are you? Except that both get "not a lot" of assistance?
  • Options
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Disillusioned View Post

So, are you talking from actual experience and facts here? Because the statistics I'm looking at say 72% of gypsies live on authorised sites. The majority are obviously getting it right.

I'm speaking from what I hear from people and from some remembered news reports. There is a big lack of authorised sites, with some councils not having any.
  • Options
    :confused: You're agreeing that gypsies and non-gypsies have equal treatment now are you? Except that both get "not a lot" of assistance?

I'm saying that if as a society, we have a duty to house people who find it difficult to do so themselves, then we should also provide accomodation provision for people with travelling lifestyles. I am additionally saying that there is not very much help for people who require housing and even less provision of sites for travellers.
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm speaking from what I hear from people and from some remembered news reports. There is a big lack of authorised sites, with some councils not having any.

Well there you go then.

Big lack of unauthorised sites, but 72% are authorised.

Our criticisms and objections are also based on stories, experience and news reports. We're not racist or bigots.

Yes, there is obviously a problem. But I bet around 72% of people are not.
  • Options
    I'm saying that if as a society, we have a duty to house people who find it difficult to do so themselves, then we should also provide accomodation provision for people with travelling lifestyles.

Not really, as said by Dis, they should be entitled to the same benefits and housing help as everyone else. Why should they get special treatment?

If I wanted to live a nice quiet life in country and claimed that was my lifestyle should they house me like that?

RE your comment about do I know how long council lists are, since I have lived in both council and housing association houses and been on the lists myself, yes I do - do they suck? Yes. But that's how it works at the moment and everyone should get treated the same... what do people expect for free?
  • Options
    Well there you go then.

Big lack of unauthorised sites, but 72% are authorised.

Yes, leaving 30% with nowhere to go.
    Our criticisms and objections are also based on stories, experience and news reports. We're not racist or bigots.

If you draw conclusions about a group of people based on a very limited experience, you are bigoted.
    Yes, there is obviously a problem. But I bet around 72% of people are not.
    In 1994 the then Conservative government introduced the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act, which released local authorities from the duty to provide sites and has led to a reduction in provision, as some sites have closed and the Gypsy and Traveller community has grown. Gypsies and Travellers were told that a 'level playing field' would exist and they were advised to buy their own land. However, over 90% of the planning applications are refused as opposed to 20% for the sedentary community.

It is now estimated that over 30% of the Traveller community live on unauthorised sites, having nowhere to stop they are sometimes forced to occupy public places. Some of these cause great inconvenience for the housed population. The poor living conditions, which homeless Gypsies and Travellers endure has a negative impact on their health and access to services. The British Medical Association has reported that the Gypsy and Traveller community is the most at risk health group in the UK. They have the lowest life expectancy and the highest child mortality rates in the UK. A lack of stopping places also has a disruptive impact on Traveller children's education. Furthermore, Ofsted has recognised that many Traveller pupils suffer from relentless bullying at school and have low levels of educational achievement and high rates of illiteracy.

The costs of dealing with unauthorised sites was estimated to be £18 million per annum in 2002 (At What Cost, Clements and Morris, 2002). It is believed that the cost is now much greater. This is an unsustainable use of resources. We strongly believe that such resources would represent 'best value' use of money by being spent on the provision of more Gypsy and Traveller sites.

http://www.travellerslaw.org.uk/issues.htm
  • Options
    Have they? You only have the word of "People living near Dale Farm" for that.

And, the leader of Basildon District Council (see original link).
    So? What business is it of yours?

Just an observation really. If a gypsy/traveller does not want to live the travelling lifestyle and wishes to settle permanently somewhere why can't they integrate with society and live with everybody else?
    House prices only plummet because there is prejudice against gypsies.

You're saying prejudice is the only reason? (It's one reason admittedly but there are many more reasons).
    Whether something is an eyesore or not is a value judgement.

The vast majority of people consider a field full of caravans an eyesore.
    Why not? If as a society we house people, why shouldn't we provide sites? They're cheaper than housing.

I don't think the State should be in the business of buying land for people to live their alternative lifestyle. If New Age Travellers, Irish Travellers and gypsies want to separate themselves from the rest of society I don't see why the government should subsidise them. I support equal support from the government to all social/ethnic groups.
  • Options
    Not really, as said by Dis, they should be entitled to the same benefits and housing help as everyone else. Why should they get special treatment?

Leaving aside the appalling state of housing benefits services and social housing, why should they be forced to conform to living in a house? It brings into play wider issues about who gets to say what lifestyles are acceptable in society.
    If I wanted to live a nice quiet life in country and claimed that was my lifestyle should they house me like that?

Don't be pathetic. Not the same thing is it?
    RE your comment about do I know how long council lists are, since I have lived in both council and housing association houses and been on the lists myself, yes I do - do they suck? Yes. But that's how it works at the moment and everyone should get treated the same... what do people expect for free?

So it sucks and people should just put up with it, yes?
  • Options
    And, the leader of Basildon District Council (see original link).

Hmmmmm. Councils usually have no such problems allowing building if its gonna line someone's pockets.
    Just an observation really. If a gypsy/traveller does not want to live the travelling lifestyle and wishes to settle permanently somewhere why can't they integrate with society and live with everybody else?

Living on site is very different from living in a house.
    You're saying prejudice is the only reason? (It's one reason admittedly but there are many more reasons).

Its a fairly major reason, yes.
    The vast majority of people consider a field full of caravans an eyesore.

Do they? Have you asked them? Anyway, so what? Most of us don't get to pick and choose our visual environment. I consider big advertising billboards to be an eyesore (and lots of people agree with me).
    I don't think the State should be in the business of buying land for people to live their alternative lifestyle.

Can a culture which is hundreds of years old, be said to be an "alternative lifestyle"?
    If New Age Travellers, Irish Travellers and gypsies want to separate themselves from the rest of society I don't see why the government should subsidise them.

I support equal support from the government to all social/ethnic groups.

Anyone spot the glaring contradiction?
  • Options
    So you know exactly who is shoplifting and where they live? Have you reported this to the police?

They don't get away with it as i stop them and the CLAIM to have not realised. Security know who they are also and that they do it so when they can they watch them. What they do about it i don't know.
    But thats not really my point. From the only experience i have of them in our area they steal to live and leave the place a mess. Dispite there being a site for them within less than a mile away.
    I am not saying all are the same as with everything theres good and bad. But i am saying MY experience is that the ones round here are the bad.
  • Options
    Tweety wrote: »
    They don't get away with it as i stop them and the CLAIM to have not realised. Security know who they are also and that they do it so when they can they watch them. What they do about it i don't know.

Fairynuff. Although tbh, I don't really give a toss about shoplifting from supermarkets. Fair play to 'em.