Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Gypsies

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Theres a road near my house, and since it's been built we've had problems with gypsies plonking themselves and living on the pavement. And we've got another group back now. The council refused to move them last time, can we report them to the police?

Comments

• Options
    You can certainly try, has the council given a reason for not moving them?
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    You can certainly try, has the council given a reason for not moving them?
    were afraid of annoying them.....but they have no right to be there anyway
  • Options
    Off topic but where an earth does that scary eye thing next to budda's quote come from? Or am I the only person who can see it?
  • Options
    I see it too.
  • Options
    Click it and see -
  • Options
    It takes you to view the full post that is being quoted
  • Options
    I'm all for the whole linking to a post thing, but seeing that picture everywhere is gonna do my head in!
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Theres a road near my house, and since it's been built we've had problems with gypsies plonking themselves and living on the pavement. And we've got another group back now. The council refused to move them last time, can we report them to the police?

Have they caused any problems? And are they Gyspies or New Age Travellers?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    LacyMay wrote: »
    I'm all for the whole linking to a post thing, but seeing that picture everywhere is gonna do my head in!
    I've only got a "view post" hotlink...
  • Options

You can report them to the police but I'm not sure if they'll do anything about it. They normally sit back and do nothing. At least, that's what they do in my area.
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Have they caused any problems? And are they Gyspies or New Age Travellers?

what's the difference? They're blocking up the path and shouldn't be there.
  • Options
    Ghost18 wrote: »
    You can report them to the police but I'm not sure if they'll do anything about it. They normally sit back and do nothing. At least, that's what they do in my area.

There's a fixed gypsy site just up the road from me. I went to school with many of the lads from the site. I've always got on well with them, but I can see why people get pissed off.
    If they havn't done anything wrong, don't go upsetting them by callign the police and asking them to be moved on.

The policed do often let them get away with a lot more, but that's simply because it's not worth bothering with police action. You won't find a gyspy that doesn't want to be found and you don't want to start a local war with them either.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    what's the difference? They're blocking up the path and shouldn't be there.

Gypsies proper are Romany people, a completey seperate race of people with their own language and customs.
    New Age Travellers are not a seperate race, don't have the history or the established culture of Romany people. They're just people who've chosen to live a nomadic life.

They're blocking the path, but is it really a big deal?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options

My thoughts exactly. I would only complain if they were actually doing something wrong like stealing stuff.
  • Options
    Gypsies proper are Romany people, a completey seperate race of people with their own language and customs.
    New Age Travellers are not a seperate race, don't have the history or the established culture of Romany people. They're just people who've chosen to live a nomadic life.

Tax dodgers then :p Well it's a main road and people use the path all the time, cause it leads to the woods and another part of town.
    Theres a site just up the road aswell! That's what gets me. Not long ago we had some come and settle in a leisure center car park. They always leave a mess behind too. I have nothing against the ones that are on the parks, just the ones that come and plonk themselves in the most stupid places as if they own the land.
  • Options
    i dare you to go tell them to bugger off.

skive is right, not worth causing bother over, they'll go about their business and fuck off soon enough, if they aint causing major incidents, the police will probably just leave them to it as well.

if they were to get pissed off and do something daft, the police will never catch them.

blocking a path is hardly the end of the world.

we had a load camp on a local park, they only stayed about a week, they just seemed to play football all day and then dissapeared, no rise in crime in the area or anything.
  • Options
    all the land has already been claimed, so where are people supposed to go?
  • Options
    When they come to our area there is always a rise in crime but they just set up where they feel like. They have no consideration for others as long as they're happy.
    It may not be the case with the crime rate in other places but it is here.
    I agree that you shouldn't piss them off as they are like shadows when they want to be. They just seem to disappear in the night and no one sees or hears them leave.
  • Options
    we dont have gypsies :crying:

you guys get all the cool stuff!

then again, you see them as bothersome
  • Options
  • Options
    Heyoka wrote: »
    we dont have gypsies :crying:

you guys get all the cool stuff!

then again, you see them as bothersome

Where an earth do you live that doesn't have gypsies - i thought they lived in some guise or another all over the world.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It isn't worth causing a fuss because they're foul people who will probably come and attack you out of pure spite.

Not all Romany people are 'foul people'. What a stupid thing to say.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    It isn't worth causing a fuss because they're foul people who will probably come and attack you out of pure spite.

That's always the trouble with the gypsies and the new age travellers- they get away with everything because everyone is too scared of them to stand up to them.

I wouldn't bother reporting them, the police are scared of em too, but I agree, its absolutely disgusting the way they block everything up.

I take it you know every single gypsy then?
  • Options

That's always the trouble with the gypsies and the new age travellers- they get away with everything because everyone is too scared of them to stand up to them.

I wouldn't bother reporting them, the police are scared of em too, but I agree, its absolutely disgusting the way they block everything up.

You're quite a bigot when you put your mind to it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Just when I think you're OK kermy, you come out with a load of racist shite like this. :mad:
  • Options
    It's amazing how many people who don't count themselves as racist will happilly bang on about 'gypsy scum'.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
  • Options
    Let's see how this reads if its about a different group of people...

My experience, in various different cities, is that blacks move in, destroy land, and make the crime rate sky-rocket. Unless the huge piles of sewage, used needles, and other foul detritus magically put themselves there after the blacks move out, and the cars and horses steal themselves, then I'd say its a fair comment. Most people who know blacks say the same thing- they're very loyal to themselves, but will screw about with everyone else.

If you care to show that my experiences are wrong or not indicative, then be my guest, but my personal opinion is that blacks are scum. As you say, Skive, "you don't want to start a war with them"- and that isn't because they're charming and peaceful people who will offer you cake.
  • Options
    Bigotry isn't the same as racism, darling :)

Of course, you haven't showed that the bigotry is unfounded, whereas with any other group its easy to show it.