Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Depression and Self-Harming - Please read

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm so stressed and I think I might have a SH related infection but I don't know how to deal with it.

:( Have you spoken to any doctors about this or anything yet?

My SH scars have finally started fading, but I still hate walking around with that area on show as they can still be seen.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    I'm so stressed and I think I might have a SH related infection but I don't know how to deal with it.

doctor. but you knew that really.

x
  • Options
    omg hi wrote:
    doctor. but you knew that really.

x
    What type of doctor? Like a GP?

Edited to add, I think they would be at risk of hurting themselves which is a worry.
  • Options
    maybe email nhs direct? see what they say xx
  • Options
    NHS Direct would tell you to go to a doctor or A&E if its that serious.

Which is where you should go, randomgirl. If you've got infections, especially down there, you need to get them sorted out and patched up before you do some real serious damage.

I doubt a doctor would be in danger of hurting themselves, as they would be careful. If you've got bits of razor stuck in you then tell them.
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote:
    What type of doctor? Like a GP?

Edited to add, I think they would be at risk of hurting themselves which is a worry.

as frog says, your gp, or if it's urgent, a&e.

dont take the risk sweetheart.
  • Options
    feeling like crap again - just so damn alone, its so annoying. especially since i was ok but some stupid little things just change everything.

i gotta go mosque and hear about how i'm going to hell. woo hoo.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    NHS Direct would tell you to go to a doctor or A&E if its that serious.

Which is where you should go, randomgirl. If you've got infections, especially down there, you need to get them sorted out and patched up before you do some real serious damage.

I doubt a doctor would be in danger of hurting themselves, as they would be careful. If you've got bits of razor stuck in you then tell them.
    Pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Hope you're ok. I'm out for a bit tonight but on FB / here sporadically as usual so if you message me I'll reply. xxx

Hazell, I really hope you're ok. I know how much it hurts to have to sit and listen to people tell you you're going to hell so if you need anything, what I said above applies to you, too. x
  • Options
    I know you're all right about it but it scares me to actually do anything about it. The pain is becoming almost intolerable now though which is making me think a lot more about it. I am really frightened of people speaking to me and going into new places etc so it makes this situation worse, the thought of having to speak to a doctor I don't know fills me with dread let alone the thought of them touching me *there*. Also it scares me that I don't know what they would do to me.
  • Options
    I doubt that you would be sectioned or anything like that- I wasn't sectioned, and I was ill enough to be bumped right up an 18-month NHS waiting list.

Is there a doctor that does know you, at least enough to not be scared of it? My GP was fantastic, but I know that some aren't.

You do need to try and bite the bullet and go and see someone. If you're scared of seeing a GP and being identified as you, you could go to the walk-in centre or Minor Injuries Unit at your local hospital- you'll be a lot more anonymous there.
  • Options
    Am finally starting to feel better and have stopped thinking about harming myself.

Anyway:
    I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he told me he was depressed, sad and lonely. He thinks that life isn't worth living and that if he killed himself, no-one would care. How do I convince him that's not true? When he said 'if I went, no-one would miss me' I said that I would, but that seemed to make no difference at all. He also (from the way he went on last night) thinks that he has no friends, which is a load of rubbish, judging by the way people were with him when we were at his friend's house a few weeks ago.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for that link. I do keep thinking about telling a friend of his (I'm close to his friend as well) but I'm not too sure what would happen if his friend talked him about it and mentioned that I was the one who told him.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I doubt that you would be sectioned or anything like that- I wasn't sectioned, and I was ill enough to be bumped right up an 18-month NHS waiting list.

Is there a doctor that does know you, at least enough to not be scared of it? My GP was fantastic, but I know that some aren't.

You do need to try and bite the bullet and go and see someone. If you're scared of seeing a GP and being identified as you, you could go to the walk-in centre or Minor Injuries Unit at your local hospital- you'll be a lot more anonymous there.
    The staff at the hospital treating me for my mental health problems are aware that I "self-harm" and use razor blades inside my flange so I'm not too worried about the risk of being sectioned as from what I understand there would not be grounds to do so.

My relationship with my GP isn't good, I think the walk-in centre is a good idea. I'm not too bothered about the physical side of things again now (I was getting scared before as I had to go to family for Christmas and it seemed too risky as I had four razors in so I removed all except for my favourite razor), I am in a lot of pain but I'm loving it now so it's all good.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Thanks for that link. I do keep thinking about telling a friend of his (I'm close to his friend as well) but I'm not too sure what would happen if his friend talked him about it and mentioned that I was the one who told him.
    I can see how that could have benefits, but you don't want to lose his trust though :)

Me though, I'm actually alright, got through Xmas, despite having LOADS of urges on Xmas day night, so I'm proud, I guess. Got a gym pass for Xmas though, so I'm taking my stress out through that :)
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    I can see how that could have benefits, but you don't want to lose his trust though :)

Which is why I haven't said anything to anyone. Spoke to him last night and now he seems fine, which is good.:)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote:
    Which is why I haven't said anything to anyone. Spoke to him last night and now he seems fine, which is good.:)
    That's good that he's ok :)
  • Options
    I cut again recently. It sort of crept up on me... have been stressed with Uni work due and i was doing it again and not stopping myself. Whereas before, i could consciously stop, i'm just sort of doing it. Does that make sense?

Pah. Thing is, in my own head it seems sensible .

Anyway, i just need to write it down, somewhere.
  • Options
    yeah it does, like a reflex right?

anyway dude, sorry to hear you've been stressed, maybe a bit of a break from work would clear your head?

take care
  • Options
    I cut my wrists after an argument with my housemate - it wasn't a suicide attempt, it just hurts more there - and accidentally caught the palm of my right hand so now I'm really worried I won't be able to hide it at work tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hanging on by a tether is really an understatement :(
  • Options
    I decided to complusive cut the entire side of one of my arms to shreds last night. Which is really going to be a pain in the arse to hide.

Kirtsy: I know I havent around much recently, but if you need a rant or someone to talk too please, please PM or email me. x
  • Options
    piccolo wrote:
    I cut my wrists after an argument with my housemate - it wasn't a suicide attempt, it just hurts more there - and accidentally caught the palm of my right hand so now I'm really worried I won't be able to hide it at work tomorrow.

Could you not put a bandage over your hand and wrist and say that you spraiend your wrist or something?
  • Options
    hey everyone, i'm kinda new here, well i guess i am new since i only just joined up. i've been looking for somewhere where i can talk to people, and not feel scared of how they will react or if they gonna go run and55 tell whoever. you see, earlier this year my father tried to kill himself, we had a fight earlier in the day and i left the house in a total rage, my mother came after me and we went to my aunts place to try "chill". my mom suddenly felt something was wrong when we tried phoning him with no answer so we rushe back home to find he had locked himself in the bathroom, i screamed shouted and cried for him to come out, it's a night that's been replaying in my head everyday since it's happened. we finally got him to the hospital and found out he had taken about 35 sleeping tablets, a bottle of whiskey and a dozen beers. it was a miracle his eyes were still open. the hospital put him in ICU and when he finally came round early in the morning the first thing he did when he saw me was to say, i hate you. since that day i have felt i was he one to blame for what he tried to do, my life took a downward spiral and i fell into a deep dark hole of depression. i hardly ever talk to my dad these days and my mom is trying to keep the family together, only problem is that she comes to me with all her problems and feelings and i had no where to turn after that. i went back to school that day because i couldn't stand to be around him and found comfort in my friends, especially jason. we've always been close. so life carried on and i told no one how i felt, i thought i could handle it on my own, but i couldn't and started cuting myself to ease the pain and emotions inside. jason became a real good pal to me and soon we both found out that we liked each other except he had a girlfriend already, that was the next big fall in my life, i thought i could sink no further into the deep black hole that i was in but i did, not being able to be with him killed me, i felt something for him that i've never experienced before and wanted to find out what it was but i couldn't. then i was put on anti depressants eventually by my mother who didn't believe i quite needed them. fast forward a few months then, life started becoming okay again, my hole started getting lighter and i felt like i could breathe fresh air again, jason and his girlfriend broke up and soon afterwards we got together, it was then when i truly thought nothing could go wrong, i hadn't cut myself in over 5 months, i was happy with my life and with the guy i loved, but unfortunatly i guess i was doomed for being depressed. after being with jason for just over 2 weeks i found out that i was moving to the UK, i had to leave my friends, family, dogs, life and jason behind. got here and a few months later jason and i broke up because of the strain on our relationship. i hate myself again, i've become severly depressed and just want to find an escape for life. i want to cut myself so so badly but i try not to bring myself down to that level again. no one knows how i feel and i don't know how to tell them, whenever i try talk to my mother she just brushes it off, i'm sick of feeling this way, i want to be with my friends again, with my family and with the guy i loved ad still do love. i can't imagine being with any other person in this world. he's my one and only. sorry for this long post, another one of my faults, talking too much when people don't wanna hear.
  • Options
    People do want to hear though - if it makes you feel any better, then that's a good thing. :)

Without knowing any of the outside circumstances, I really can't pass comment. But your father attempting to kill himself is not your fault. Whilst it will hurt you, and have an effect on what you think and feel, it was something he opted to do. Not you. It isn't your fault. Maybe you did things that added to his dismay and despair, but it still doesn't make it your fault. It was a decision he took - and whether that decision was cowardly, selfish, thoughtless, or the only way out for a man at rock bottom, it was his decision and his alone.

It's crappy when you have to give up everything you know - life, friends, people you care for, places you are familiar with. It's enough to make anyone feel depressed - it's hard as hell, especially when it isn't your decision to uproot from everything. It's also crappy to see the demise of a relationship because of such decisions. But things will get better - you'll make new friends, find new people who you care about, and who care about you. Onwards and upwards :). You're not far from the point where you get to make your own decisions about your life, and from there-on you can have it any-which-way you choose.

And on that basis, you can't be far from the turning point in your life, can you? It's a great place to reach - you can see who you want, do what you want, eat what you want, live where you want - life suddenly becomes yours, rather than an extension of your parents :).

If your father really did mean it when he said he hated you, then it's his loss. He's on the verge of witnessing you as an adult, and it's only at that point where he'll really get to see who you are. Who you choose to be.

By the way - see that biiiiiiiiig key over near the backspace one? It helps others read your thoughts far more easily ;).

Happy new year! I reckon it has some good ingredients for being a cracking year ;).
  • Options
    I decided to complusive cut the entire side of one of my arms to shreds last night. Which is really going to be a pain in the arse to hide.

Kirtsy: I know I havent around much recently, but if you need a rant or someone to talk too please, please PM or email me. x
    Thankyou Marie, I appreciate it, feeling better for the time, but next time I will email you, thankyou.

Hope you're ok, hugs, same goes to you, if you ever want to talk to someone, email me/PM me, or even LJ- I read that everyday :)

No idea how, but didn't cut, I was such a state, crying down the phone etc.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    Thankyou Marie, I appreciate it, feeling better for the time, but next time I will email you, thankyou.

Hope you're ok, hugs, same goes to you, if you ever want to talk to someone, email me/PM me, or even LJ- I read that everyday :)

No idea how, but didn't cut, I was such a state, crying down the phone etc.

Kirtsy, Not cutting, not matter how bad you feel, is always a good thing. I just need to be less hyper sensitive to other peoples actions, even when I know they only do/say things because they care. (That wont make much sense to anyone but me) I'm on my email or on here pretty much everyday.
  • Options
    Kirtsy, Not cutting, not matter how bad you feel, is always a good thing. I just need to be less hyper sensitive to other peoples actions, even when I know they only do/say things because they care. (That wont make much sense to anyone but me) I'm on my email or on here pretty much everyday.
    That's true, just want to do it. The only thing stopping me is I know I'll have to explain myself to the boyf, and he'll be pissed off. I don't want to actuslly cut, I just want the pain. I know it sounds ridiculous.

Aaand, I'm all on my own again tonight. When I was meant to be seeing him. Was really looking forward to being in his arms again.
  • Options
    your-babe wrote:
    That's true, just want to do it. The only thing stopping me is I know I'll have to explain myself to the boyf, and he'll be pissed off. I don't want to actuslly cut, I just want the pain. I know it sounds ridiculous.

Aaand, I'm all on my own again tonight. When I was meant to be seeing him. Was really looking forward to being in his arms again.

you shouldn't need to expain yourself to your boyfriend... i think that if he really cares for you he would listen to what you're saying and feeling and try help you get through it... and don't worry it doesn't sound ridiculous, i feel the same way, just to release the pain and anger building up and the relief when you cut yourself... it's a weird sensation... i was always looking forward to being in my boyfriends arms again, just for him to comfort me and take my mind off things, when he wasn't there i didn't know what to do with myself, but just be strong, for yourself, try stand up to yourself and think of other ways to occupy yourself, like posting new messages on here!!;)
  • Options
    robz wrote:
    you shouldn't need to expain yourself to your boyfriend... i think that if he really cares for you he would listen to what you're saying and feeling and try help you get through it... and don't worry it doesn't sound ridiculous, i feel the same way, just to release the pain and anger building up and the relief when you cut yourself... it's a weird sensation... i was always looking forward to being in my boyfriends arms again, just for him to comfort me and take my mind off things, when he wasn't there i didn't know what to do with myself, but just be strong, for yourself, try stand up to yourself and think of other ways to occupy yourself, like posting new messages on here!!;)
    Cheers :) Am trying to take my mind off it, and do some work, only the work isn't really being done, but Eastenders is good :lol: