Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paying your keep at home

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote:
    our weekly shop for both of us is never over £55-£60. And that's with us pushing the boat out because we have the joint income to do so

Feck's sake, I spend £100 a week and there are EIGHT of us and the dog! And a budgie. So yes, Kermit has a point.
  • Options
    I spend £30-£40 a fortnight MAX so £15-£20 a week on food.

I eat fairly well too. Buy lots of fresh meat, fruit and veg, etc.

Iceland is my friend :heart:
  • Options
    Miffy wrote:
    Feck's sake, I spend £100 a week and there are EIGHT of us and the dog! And a budgie. So yes, Kermit has a point.
    Do you shop at Iceland? :p
  • Options
    Do you shop at Iceland? :p

No. Market and Tescos.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Honestly, in London, I just can't see how spending just £40 a week in the supermarket would cover food, toiletries etc

Buying fresh fruit and veg just all adds up, but it's the meat that is the killer.

£40 goes nowhere down here unless you buy the "value" or "economy" ranges, shocking, but true.

£40 being a generous amount for one person for a week - I have to disagree.

What does London have to do with anything, prices in supermarkets are the same all over the country. £40 is plenty for a week, not if you want to eat out and buy lunch from M and S every day, but to take home made lunch and have a nice dinner it is more than enough.
  • Options
    Also there is quite often nothing wrong with economy labels - sure, I wouldn't get value loo roll

Tesco value loo roll is actually surprisingly soft. :yes:

ETA: One more word for you all.... BOGOF!

This is a common conversation in this house;

KIDS: Is this on offer at the moment?

ME: Yep.

KIDS: Thought so.

ETA: Also, as far as toiletries go, Boots do a line of Basics that come in plain white packaging. A tube of toothpaste is 29p. Shower gel is 35p. Hand wash is 59p. A twin pack of toothbrushes is 28p. It can be done. It's just a question of where you're willing to make the compromises.
  • Options
    sometimes it's not much more money to feed 8 than it is to feed a few less if you get what i mean!

as in it can be more expensive feeding 1 person than it can 2 or 3.
  • Options
    It doesn't cost double to feed two people instead of one, but it certainly doesn't cost more to feed one person.

If you make more and freeze it then it costs the same.
  • Options
    I find that it's only really your main meal that has to cost anything. Cereal, toast or eggs for breakfast is only cheap. And a sandwich or soup for lunch is only cheap. But for tea, you kinda need some meat or fish. I used to eat fresh fish quite a bit at uni because you can get it for about a pound, whereas you're paying about £3 for chicken or beef. And pork tends to be quite affordable too. The stuff that you put with it is fairly cheap though. A pack of frozen chips or a bag of potatoes will last you about a week on your own, for about £1.50. And stuff like rice and pasta is always cheap. I reckon in order to eat properly, you're looking at £3-4 a day.

The thing that always annoyed me at uni was that it's quite hard to buy stuff just for yourself. Freezer space is usually at a premium, so you buy a pack of chicken, and you have to eat chicken for the next two days, or you'll end up wasting half of it. God forbid you want something like lettuce or cucumber. I used to stick to the tinned vegetables. Those BOFOF's at Iceland were always good, but it wasn't too clever when you got them home and realised you had nowhere to put them.
  • Options
    sometimes it's not much more money to feed 8 than it is to feed a few less if you get what i mean!

It's swings and roundabouts tbh. There are things that just work out way too expensive when you've got to do them for 8 people.
  • Options
    i maybe really dumb asking this but what does BOFOF mean?
  • Options
    buy one get one free
  • Options
    Territt wrote:
    i maybe really dumb asking this but what does BOFOF mean?

it's bogof not bofof.