Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paying your keep at home

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for those who live at home.. do you have to pay keep? if so how much?

i've finished uni and started working a few weeks ago so now I have to start paying keep. my parents wanted £30 a week but i brought them down to £25.

Comments

• Options
    £150 a month. Including bills and food.
  • Options
    is that paid to your parents?
  • Options
    Cash in hand of course, yeah.
  • Options
    I used to pay board of £25 a week....oh those happy days are long gone
  • Options
    £150 a month (plus £50 at the same time, paying them back for my car insurance)
  • Options
    When I lived at home after uni, I paid £200 a month.
  • Options
    Never really went back home.

£150 a month including bills and food is fucking cheap.
  • Options
    Of course it is. They're your parents for fucks sake.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I still live at home. :mad:
    I was looking into buying a house when I got made redundant and my mum died.
    Should be getting my own kenna next year now but until then I put £250 a month into the houshold.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    About 200 notes a month.
  • Options
    I won't finish uni for a long time and luckily I don't have to pay anything now. I couldn't afford working anyway, since I am most of the day at uni, and at home I should be learning, but I am stupid enough to browse thesite.

I have to do chores around here (well not have to, but I do nontheless.).

I see you all paying a shitton for your parents :crazyeyes , why is that?
    Around here you pay around 400€-1200€ rent/month for a big one-family flat.
    If I paid them that much, I'd pay a big chunk of the flat. Especially since they get the ~350€ child support every month (*3 for 3 children).

My aunt lives in a 33 m² flat, with kitchen/bath-combination, toilet, one big room, for around 90€ a month, 1A condition.

As soon as I have a job (in about 4-5 years earliest [technical chemistry master :crazyeyes ]), I will move out tho.
  • Options
    My sister-in-law is staying with us and we ask 50 quid a week. We're making a loss on that.

I honestly don't believe that it's that people can't afford to buy or rent their own place- its that they won't. They'd rather spend the dough on clothes and booze than on rent. It's a shame, because I think it makes people immature.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    lipsy wrote:
    for those who live at home.. do you have to pay keep? if so how much?

i've finished uni and started working a few weeks ago so now I have to start paying keep. my parents wanted £30 a week but i brought them down to £25.

I never went back to live with my folks but I reckon you have a fairly good deal there. You are hardly paying anything - i'd be rubbing your hands in glee.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my parents wanted £30 a week but i brought them down to £25.

Yes because £30 a week was just naked profiteering on their part :razz:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I honestly don't believe that it's that people can't afford to buy or rent their own place- its that they won't.

I'm not so sure. I can well believe people can't afford to buy.

Renting is a bit different because you don't need such a huge deposit and other initial outlays (even with as much as letting agents charge!), so it's a bit more doable (sharing's easier, too, because you're not as tied to the place).

Living at home would drive me mental, though, so my £300 quid a month for rent isn't so bad.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure. I can well believe people can't afford to buy.

Renting is a bit different because you don't need such a huge deposit and other initial outlays (even with as much as letting agents charge!), so it's a bit more doable (sharing's easier, too, because you're not as tied to the place).

Living at home would drive me mental, though, so my £300 quid a month for rent isn't so bad.

may I ask how/where you live?

urban, or rather rural. big flat? house? housesharing? condition of the house? public transport nearby?

just getting a grasp. It seems like living in london is very steep.
  • Options
    As a single person it is hard to buy, but it isn't hard to rent, and it certainly isn't hard to rent in a house-share. I would exclude Central London from that, but most people don't live in Central London.

But rather than spend their wage on their house and their food, they'd rather pay a pittance at mummy's and then go out and get rat-arsed.
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    may I ask how/where you live?

urban, or rather rural. big flat? house? housesharing? condition of the house? public transport nearby?

just getting a grasp. It seems like living in london is very steep.

A big flat (shared with two others) in a nice suburb of a large city. It's only a couple of years old or so, and in good condition. Public transport to the city centre is pretty good, too.

Leeds isn't particularly cheap, but I'd pay a lot more for a flat like this in a comparable area of London!
  • Options
    I last lived with my parents when I was 19. I seem to remember I was paying £180 per month inclusive of bills(but I didn't eat there much of the time), and bought a take-away each month too.

This was back in 1997-99. £25 per week nearly a decade on is nothing like paying your way. Be grateful for the favour they have done you, but don't feel smug or attempt to brag about it - it gives the impression of a spoilt little child. :)

Not saying that you are, just saying how your post read to me.
  • Options
    £200 a month inc. bills, food etc. I've had to pay since I started working three years ago, even when I was on very little working part-time. I've always paid about 20% of my take-home wages to them. I therefore have been able to save a hell of a lot of money and can afford to go travelling next year and look at moving out as well. If I had been a student and just done a degree there is no why I could be able to afford to do what I want to do.
  • Options
    i pay me rents £30 a week, plus i help out with bills when i can, including the food shop

i buy my own toilettries, clothes, anything else i need apart from food tho
  • Options
    about 25 per week.
  • Options
    I last lived with my parents when I was 19. I seem to remember I was paying £180 per month inclusive of bills(but I didn't eat there much of the time), and bought a take-away each month too.

This was back in 1997-99. £25 per week nearly a decade on is nothing like paying your way. Be grateful for the favour they have done you, but don't feel smug or attempt to brag about it - it gives the impression of a spoilt little child. :)

Not saying that you are, just saying how your post read to me.

I know what you mean, and in the definition, well you could almost say spoilt I reckon. I dunno how it works with child support in london, but my rents get a 350€ for me a month. They pay for my study (~380€ per semester), gas, wasser, electricity (we own our flat), food and a lot of credit payback.
    Have to say tho, that 350€ (~240 quid) is FAR more worth in austria as in london.
    From what I gather, living in london (with exactly the same condition of flat, location etc.) is about 3 times as expensive as here (and that's a lot of dough, if you think of a 4 bedroom flat, just talked with my dad about it, and he lived in london for years).

So it's not really comparable.

Everything I own, or do (going out etc.), and buy for myself is paid by me. Since I am sitting 7~10 hours each day in university and I got 3 intermediate testings already after 2 weeks of uni, it's pretty much impossible for me to work besides, let alone afford to live on my own, without studying a decade.
  • Options
  • Options
    Why do you keep talking about London?

because everybody in here talks about london, mostly.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well I don't. Grrrr.

Nur über Manchester bitte.

Well, I suck :p They are all posting about the times they lived at home and I deduce "lived at home in london". a logical fallacy.

Aber natürlich, lass uns über Manchester reden, jedoch erst nachdem ich morgen auferstanden bin, weil ich bin müde wie ein Esel.
  • Options
    I live at home, I pay £200 a month. Plus whatever else I need to spend on the house.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    I honestly don't believe that it's that people can't afford to buy or rent their own place- its that they won't. They'd rather spend the dough on clothes and booze than on rent. It's a shame, because I think it makes people immature.
    Oh get off your high horse. Some of us are saving up money for things that might help us in our future career. Some of us (most of my friends) are trying to get experience in a field that pays nothing or next to nothing when you first start out, and our parents are happy to help us out. If your parents are willing to help out, then I think it'd be stupid to get stuck in a 9-5 office job because you want to prove you're independent.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    As a single person it is hard to buy, but it isn't hard to rent, and it certainly isn't hard to rent in a house-share. I would exclude Central London from that, but most people don't live in Central London.

But rather than spend their wage on their house and their food, they'd rather pay a pittance at mummy's and then go out and get rat-arsed.

Easy mr judgemental, we all know what you're like, but has it occured to you that they're living at home to save up for their own place and get it a bit faster?