Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Paying your keep at home

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'm living at home because i graduated all of 3 months ago! i have 2 big overdrafts which i need to pay off and im trying to start my career, for which im expecting to be paid crap money at the start. however i'm used to living away from home so next year me and some friends are going to move out together. i cant wait :D

well by the sounds of it i'm getting a cheap to average deal at home. it was just a shock at first because i've never had to give my parents money before! but now i've paid a couple of weeks i don't mind and feel quite good about it.
  • Options
    I think I'm (well, I KNOW I'm) rather spoilt in that respect. MY mum mentioned about kids paying board at 18 a few weeks ago, and when I said that I would providing I had a job by then, she just laughed and said no.

I am planning on moving out though, 6 or so months after college, after I've had chance to get a full time job etc, and I already pay for most of my food, clothes etc, I buy evertyhing of mine myself really, unless I get treated, and I do myself a mini food shop every week. It's been that way since I was 16, but just recently, I've been let off the food while I wait to get a job again.

I hate not being able to get all my stuff I usually have though :)
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Easy mr judgemental, we all know what you're like, but has it occured to you that they're living at home to save up for their own place and get it a bit faster?

I'm sure some are, but most people who live at home don't seem to be.

That's unless the expensive bar in town, and the MetroCentre Debenhams, are really a savings bank.
  • Options
    nicx1811 wrote:
    I think I'm (well, I KNOW I'm) rather spoilt in that respect. MY mum mentioned about kids paying board at 18 a few weeks ago, and when I said that I would providing I had a job by then, she just laughed and said no.
    my mum has been mentioning me paying my keep for the past 4 years and i've always refused on the grounds that i was still a student. she only wanted money for during the summer though because the rest of the time i was away at uni paying rent there.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my mum has been mentioning me paying my keep for the past 4 years and i've always refused on the grounds that i was still a student.

That's what my mum says. I know I got a lucky break with my mum, but I suppose she sees it as I wont be around long after i finish college, I already buy my food, clothes, stuff for college, car, car ins/tax/mot/petrol etcetc... she has a 5 year old to pay for, I probably seem pretty cheap in comparison :D
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I dont pay anything to my dad, i am very lucky. I am paying £8000 for this course, and still in debt from my degree.
    I dont have time to get a job and have absolutely no income. So if he wanted me to start paying my way, he would have to lend me the money first :p
  • Options
    Bunny_0_ wrote:
    I dont pay anything to my dad, i am very lucky. I am paying £8000 for this course, and still in debt from my degree.
    I dont have time to get a job and have absolutely no income. So if he wanted me to start paying my way, he would have to lend me the money first :p
    if you have no income chick, how do you buy anything? And how come you cant get jsa?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    for those who live at home.. do you have to pay keep? if so how much?

i've finished uni and started working a few weeks ago so now I have to start paying keep. my parents wanted £30 a week but i brought them down to £25.
    I pay £40 p/w
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote:
    And how come you cant get jsa?

Because she's still a student (is my guess anyway - I really have no idea how things work, I'm blissfully ignorant :))
  • Options
    i'm still a student so my mum wouldn't charge me rent. i only live at home during the weekend and holidays anyway. if my mum wanted rent during the summer i would pay it - not sure how much she'd ask for.

i expect to return home once i've graduated and if i get a full time job then i will fully expect to pay some rent.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote:

I don't want to rent, because it's seems like a waste of my hard earned vonga. We're going to sell the house we live in next year, and I'm going to have a big fat cheque I can use as a deposit.
    If you're not coupled up, or you've just finished Uni or you've got a patchy work history (as I have) getting yourself a mortgage on a reasonable house isn't easy, especially when you live down here. I don't want to share with anybody other than a missus.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    So why come out with one of your usual judgemental blanket statements?
  • Options
    Does anyone fancy taking me in for £30 a week including all bills and food, I'm fully house trained and I'd be no trouble.
  • Options
    I pay for my broadband and contribute towards the electricity also. I'm in the process of working out how much mor ei can contribute to the house. Everything else i pay for myself.
  • Options
    I buy my own food and i am rarely in. So £0 here! :p
  • Options
    So why come out with one of your usual judgemental blanket statements?

What are you on about?

There's an exception ot every rule, that's what a generalisation is- general. But apart from a self-funded BVC/LPC (something that could be done part-time during work anyway) I can't think of any professional reason why you can't spend the wage you bring in. As for earning "next to nothing", I'm not exactly raking it in, but I spend my money on a house not booze and clothes.

Saving up for a deposit does seem to be the exception rather than the norm. Saving up is fair enough, but how many people genuinely do that?

My office is full of people who live at home and whinge that they can't afford their own place. They quite happily spend £60 on a night out, and £160 on the outfit for the night out. They could afford to rent, even alone, but they'd rather have nice clothes and nights out three times a week. Fair enough if you don't want to be independent and like the cushy life, but stop trying to pretend that you can't afford to move out.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    What are you on about?

There's an exception ot every rule, that's what a generalisation is- general.
    Generalisations are usually bollocks as well. You never said "some people" or even "the majority" you just said that people who live with their parents are sponging and spending their spare cash on expensive clothes and nights out.

Saving up isn't just about getting a deposit on a house, you know? It's about having a bit of financial security for when you do move out to rent your own place. And if you're working on a contract-basis, it's sensible to do what all of my friends have done, and stay with your parents until you've established yourself in the job (if you live close to where the jobs are). Or save up enough money so that you can still pay your rent if you don't get another job for a month or so (if you're going to have to move to where the work is).
  • Options
    My folks ask for 25% of what i earn which at the moment is about £80 a month as im working part time while at uni
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote:
    Aber natürlich, lass uns über Manchester reden, jedoch erst nachdem ich morgen auferstanden bin, weil ich bin müde wie ein Esel.
    Tshh, any excuse :p
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Saving up for a deposit does seem to be the exception rather than the norm. Saving up is fair enough, but how many people genuinely do that?

Saving for a deposit is doable when you live at home, but if you're paying rent (and all these bills etc) then it's impossible...for me anyway.
    If you've got a little spare, then by the time you've got anything decent stashed away, prices will have risen stupidly again.

I know I should really find ways to earn twice as much rather than being annoyed, but it does seem a bit bleak.
  • Options
    I'm 20 and still live at home. I don't pay rent. :o
  • Options
    I pay £100 a month rent to my mum and then pay for my own broadband...so much cheaper than when i was living at uni
  • Options
    I'm 21 pay rent, buy all my own clothes, travel, sundries, entertainment etc. The only thing I dont buy is my food at home but thats covered by my rent. I get paid a shit salary despite having three years of qualifications and on the job training/experience. I save about 30-40% of my take home pay a month at the moment so that I can do what I want to do without getting into vast debt. I'd be in about £15K debt if I'd got a degree and I have instead about £9k of savings. Most of which will be spent next year, which is why I'm saving like mad at the moment. I certainly dont spend £160 a month on clothes, and only go out once or twice a month at the moment. Not all of us stay at home, sponge off our parents and waste money.
  • Options
    Jeez. I get paid about 200-300 a month and usually give mu mum about 60... She pays bills etc plus my internet and half of my phone bill too. I get it easy :D

But I've never really left home though, so I'm more or less still a child of the household kinda thing. If I moved out and moved back in then it would be different. I can't really afford to move out whilst I'm at uni, rent is far too dear around my neck of the woods.
  • Options
    I live with my mum... I pay her £60 a month... I'd like to give her more but I don't have much money... and I buy the food occasionally and contribute here and there when I can.
  • Options
    I'm surprised all your parents want you around, no offense or anything but dont they actually want to have the place to themselves?

How open ended is your ability to live there?
  • Options
    well i'll be the last to fly the nest and i think my mum doesn't want to feel old. i think she would if i moved out. plus my step-dad works abroad a fair bit of time so i think secretly she loves me being there. :D
  • Options
    lipsy wrote:
    my mum has been mentioning me paying my keep for the past 4 years and i've always refused on the grounds that i was still a student. she only wanted money for during the summer though because the rest of the time i was away at uni paying rent there.
    I'm a student but have never refused to pay rent in the summer because I had a job.

My Dad has told me that if I move back home, he'll want 1/4 of my wage packet as thats what he had to do when he was younger and lived at home.

Sounds fair enough to me tbh.
  • Options
    I'm a student but have never refused to pay rent in the summer because I had a job.
    but during the summer i had to pay rent for ym house at uni even though i wasn't living there. dont you?
    1/4 of your wage seems excessive for someone who would have just graduated.
  • Options
    Nope. I stayed at uni this summer but the previous summer before that, I had just finished my first year and my contract for halls had ended in the May and my new contract wasn't starting again until the September in my new accomodation.

I wouldn't say its excessive tbh. You'd expect to pay that if you were renting your own place out or staying elsewhere. This includes all bills, food, etc. How can you say its excessive? To me, its a realistic amount to pay.

Tbh, I don't think the fact of whether or not you have just graduated comes into the equation, even if you do have overdrafts to pay off. Thats in my opinion anyways.